• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Tour has started - check the map for demo truck locations and dates

BTM

Just went to the truck that was here today, my impressions so far:
  • Controller is very heavy, and the triggers just suck eggs. The d-pad clicks, the side rumble stuff is quite cool, the analog sticks have less dead zone and all the other buttons are fine.
  • Forza 5: Lifelike? heck no I could see the upscaling from 900p during the slow 30 second look at the car I selected. It's fun playing bumper cars with the gullwing, but I suck at breaking early (I turned off the related assists because they are too easy)
  • Killer Instinct: looks cool, but I don't fighting games
  • Had some guy repeat the marker's selling points of the Xbone over speakers with the car (It's not a gaming console, it's a multimedia PC!)
  • Had a sign nearby that said they could take video/pictures whenever.
  • I think the staff there had windows phones.

The controller is heavy? Everyone else has said that it's super light. And why do the triggers suck?

UNCMark

Banned
  • Controller is very heavy, and the triggers just suck eggs. The d-pad clicks, the side rumble stuff is quite cool, the analog sticks have less dead zone and all the other buttons are fine.

I won't tell you that you're wrong about the controller being heavy, because I don't know how strong/weak you are, but I will say that it is lighter than the current 360 controller.

Alx

I won't tell you that you're wrong about the controller being heavy, because I don't know how strong/weak you are, but I will say that it is lighter than the current 360 controller.

I think MS said that it was supposed to feel lighter than the 360 controller, while being exactly the same weight. What with the batteries being more balanced centered or something like that.

RedAssedApe

Banned
UCLA Pasadena

Hmm...would check this out on campus but I will be taking the day off from work so that I can make sure that no one steals launch PS4 from Amazon. :D

Do they post more info about where the event is going to be closer to the event or is this a scavenger hunt?

Went to the truck showing today since it was close to my house. Have a PS4 pre ordered and no intentions of buying an Xbox after all the DRM stuff. But I still wanted to try out the controller and see a new console early.

Controller felt good. The sticks might have felt different? I dunno. I'd have to spend more time with it. Also I thought I would have liked the rumble triggers more than I did while playing Forza 5. They just felt odd. Not bad but strange. I still think that idea could be cool.

I can't comment on the graphics. The TVs from a truck with glare of being outside made it hard to analyze. Oh and I clearly can't steer in Forza!

Majine

Banned
ewhhSSp.jpg

"What's wrong with it?"
"It seems to make U-turns all the time..."

• Forza 5: Lifelike? heck no I could see the upscaling from 900p during the slow 30 second look at the car I selected. It's fun playing bumper cars with the gullwing, but I suck at breaking early (I turned off the related assists because they are too easy)
  • Killer Instinct: looks cool, but I don't fighting games
  • Had some guy repeat the marker's selling points of the Xbone over speakers with the car (It's not a gaming console, it's a multimedia PC!)
  • Had a sign nearby that said they could take video/pictures whenever.
  • I think the staff there had windows phones.

Sharp eyes bro.

rrs

Update on my thoughts:
  • Controller was heavy due to the security device on the bottom of it.
  • The 900p forza comment comes from the weird filtering around edges I noticed when the car was shown off, it could be from the TV or some odd filtering. It does not bother playing the game at all whatsoever. 900p seems to be the buzz of "downscaling" gripes.
  • The triggers have a edge of sorts where your hand is supposed to bend, with my hand it fits a bit under it, becoming a pressure point.

I also made some posts in the Forza topics going into more detail for it.

Iacobellis

Update on my thoughts:
  • Controller was heavy due to the security device on the bottom of it.
  • The 900p forza comment comes from the weird filtering around edges I noticed when the car was shown off, it could be from the TV or some odd filtering. It does not bother playing the game at all whatsoever. 900p seems to be the buzz of "downscaling" gripes.
  • The triggers have a edge of sorts where your hand is supposed to bend, with my hand it fits a bit under it, becoming a pressure point.

I also made some posts in the Forza topics going into more detail for it.

So are the triggers (all four) worse than what was on the 360 pad?

whitehawk

Banned
Went to one today, impressions:

• Someone else said the TVs were 720p, they had to be 1080p. Forza looked really sharp, while Killer Instinct looked noticibly sub-native resolution.
  • The rumble triggers are pretty damn cool. Not a deal breaker, but I wish the Dualshock 4 had them.
  • The controller is an improvement over the 360 controller. Mostly because the handles aim more outwards. Better for biggers hands, more comfortable imo. The hardware also looks a LOT more sturdy. Feels like quality hardware.
  • I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but the RT/LT triggers seemed a little loose. They could be moved to the left and right pretty easily. Seemed like there was too much space. Not a big deal, but I noticed it wasn't staying in one place while I was playing forza.
  • Forza looked really nice. I don't play many racings sims so I can't really comment on gameplay. TV probably wasn't calibrated though, so it will look a lot better on a nice TV.
  • Killer Instinct is FUN FUN FUN! Man, it feels like a true sequel that the franchise deserves. Really fast gameplay, but I was still able to get into it as someone who doesn't play too many fighters. I really want this game.
  • My friend hit the guide button once. Really fluid transition. Love it.
  • KI was really popular. At times they had an open Forza booth, but the line was all waiting for KI.

Ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

DeltaJay

Banned
Went to one today, impressions:

• Someone else said the TVs were 720p, they had to be 1080p. Forza looked really sharp, while Killer Instinct looked noticibly sub-native resolution.
  • The rumble triggers are pretty damn cool. Not a deal breaker, but I wish the Dualshock 4 had them.
  • The controller is an improvement over the 360 controller. Mostly because the handles aim more outwards. Better for biggers hands, more comfortable imo. The hardware also looks a LOT more sturdy. Feels like quality hardware.
  • I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but the RT/LT triggers seemed a little loose. They could be moved to the left and right pretty easily. Seemed like there was too much space. Not a big deal, but I noticed it wasn't staying in one place while I was playing forza.
  • Forza looked really nice. I don't play many racings sims so I can't really comment on gameplay. TV probably wasn't calibrated though, so it will look a lot better on a nice TV.
  • Killer Instinct is FUN FUN FUN! Man, it feels like a true sequel that the franchise deserves. Really fast gameplay, but I was still able to get into it as someone who doesn't play too many fighters. I really want this game.
  • My friend hit the guide button once. Really fluid transition. Love it.
  • KI was really popular. At times they had an open Forza booth, but the line was all waiting for KI.

Ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Great impression WI. I will be going to one of these next friday and honestly, I just want to hold the controller. Been hearing mixed impressions forever about it being better than the 360 and some saying it isn't.

The trigger rumbles.. is it distracting any? Too much feedback perhaps? Or is it just right?

Also, how about the bumper buttons? I heard that the bumpers were too close to the triggers and there isn't any space between them. Is this true?

rrs

So are the triggers (all four) worse than what was on the 360 pad?

Just the bottom 2, top ones were fine.

Great impression WI. I will be going to one of these next friday and honestly, I just want to hold the controller. Been hearing mixed impressions forever about it being better than the 360 and some saying it isn't.

The trigger rumbles.. is it distracting any? Too much feedback perhaps? Or is it just right?

Also, how about the bumper buttons? I heard that the bumpers were too close to the triggers and there isn't any space between them. Is this true?

I'd say overall better except my hand doesn't grip correctly with the bottom two triggers. The trigger rumble are pretty much awesome, nothing that goes too far. Back onto the subject of the bumper buttons, they are close but you won't be accidentally hitting the triggers.

Microsoft has been able to turn around their blunder of an announcement and subsequent policies and make the XBO very enticing for many gamers. Love them or hate them, but XBO is going to do well this coming holiday.

Unfortunately they don't plan to stop in Orlando (I mean really, how the hell do you hit Jacksonville then Tampa and skip Orlando? That's like skipping over LA in Cali).

Alx

Well, my turn to give impressions on my experience with "the truck", I suppose. :) Actually although the truck was there at the entrance, the different games were displayed on several setups in a huge hall, which made the whole thing quite weird. But I suppose it's ok for a very temporary event, although it doesn't seem to be as cool as Sony's "Appartement 4" by the look of the pictures (but that one is meant for the press of course).

My general impression : diminishing return indeed. I'm no graphic whore (I didn't know what screen tearing was before Gaf started mention it, and I hate you all for that) and I thought everything looked fine, but it didn't look too different from current gen either. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the audience would feel disappointed with that coming gen, and won't switch consoles as fast as MS or Sony would have hoped.

The controller : feels great and intuitive. Actually I was playing for several minutes until I remembered the controller was new and I should focus on it to see what changed. Of course it came to my mind as soon as I used the d-pad for the first time, since it's really different from the 360 one. And it's much better, very similar to the one on the Vita (I've always loved microswitches to control games). It should be great for games in general and fighting games in particular, I could pull off specials based on multiple QCF with no issue in Killer Instinct. I can confirm that the shoulder buttons are meant to be pushed by the middle part of your finger and not the tip, they're easily reachable by slightly raising your fingers from the triggers, it worked like a charm in Dead Rising to switch weapons.

Kinect : well, I'm quite used to playing with the first one, and the second feels very similar, but I never had major issues with the tech (nothing like the horror stories that are so common here). The ability to detect opened/closed hands is a nice addition of course. Unsurprisingly, the annoying shimmering of the laser pattern is gone, in its stead there are three red glows that you can barely see when the device is on.

The games :

Zoo Tycoon : Not my kind of game at all, but very nicely done, I appreciated the time I spent on it. Everything is intuitive, I could build a new den, adopt two lions and a giraffe, build extensions and feed a giraffe, without needing any instruction. The feeding part is quite funny, with nice animations of the animals. The graphics are nice in general, but there is a mode where you can walk around your park and in that case you can notice a low framerate in big panning motions.

Kinect Rivals : Nice and fun, I tried both the jetski races and the climbing game. Both were set on easy, so I won everything without any issue, but as a consequence couldn't try some competitive elements like grabbing your opponent's ankles when climbing. I liked the jetski controls (open hand to brake, close hand to accelerate, lean forward or backward to do flips when in the air) and the "jump and grab" move in climbing. I do miss the tone of the first Kinect Sport, though, with the music samples and the avatar dances. :(

Peggle 2 : Well, it's peggle. No need to play it on next gen, and no need to buy the sequel if you already own the first one IMO.

Lococycle : I was quite pleasantly surprised with that one. The game is not very pretty, but quite fun. Very hard to control at first, any small motion on the stick would translate to big swerves of the motocycle, but once you get it it's quite dynamic. I'm still not sure the full game would be worth it, but I'd definitely buy it for 10€. Maybe 15€ if the reviews are good.

Dead Rising 3 : Well it's the dead rising we know. Zombies everywhere, many weapons lying around, crazy moves and silly outfits. It was a night level so everything was dark, but everything else was nice. I'm not sure I'll buy this game at launch since DR2 was already starting to get old, but the game seems good.

Killer Instinct : Only played it long enough to test the controller D-pad and get a general idea. Looks good, not my favourite type of fighting game, but I think I'll still get it at launch.

Forza 5 : Yup, it's a car all right ! Definitely not my genre, for me all simulations have been looking the same for the last 10 years (I told you I was no graphic whore).

Couldn't find Ryse nor Crimson Dragon (actually I forgot they were meant to be there). Ignored Battlefield and Fifa since I don't play those games and there was a queue to try them.

Oh, impressions go in here?! Fuck, make up your mind GAF! :p

Here are my specific impressions from the Philly event they did over four days:

Games:

Forza is the shit, they went for the epic car motif HARD, and uses the rumble on the triggers the best
Killer Instinct had a slight learning curve, but after you understand it's real easy. Quite fun.
Max: Curse of the Brotherhood was a nice family platformer, though the deaths reminded me of Heart of Darkness kind of.
Zoo Tycoon is fun, but definitely not for kids, and quite laggy when you're actually in the park.
Ryse sucks. At least the horde mode they had us playing does. They made the QTE's much easier to stomach
Lococycle is fucking ridiculous and a fun downloadable title.
Crimson Dragon is less fucking ridiculous, but definitely inspired by Panzer Dragoon and also fun.
Kinect Sports Rivals was nice and improved, but you know...Kinect title.

Hardware:

Console is small, like 360 slim size. Definitely smaller than my HTPC.
Controller is nice. Much lighter than the 360 one in every way, including sticks. D-Pad is nice, but I had some issues with it in KI. Rumble and tension triggers are a slick business.

Fun event, if you can go to one I recommend doing so, even if you really aren't interested. It's a fun time!

Also of note:

KI probably had the most kiosks set up, then it was pretty much even. The Kinect games and smaller games only had like 3 setups each, which was fine.

And they are pushing KI -hard-. The reps there were going over the different ways to buy the game to everyone who played it.

Naturally feel free to ask questions, same as anyone else who posted impressions.

Okay, so finally heard back from Xbox UK today and managed to get a couple of tickets to go play Xbox One for 5 hours(!) on Friday 25th October, which is awesome. I work 10 minutes walk from the venue in Shoreditch, London so a mate and I at work are going to stroll over there and enjoy. I am hopeful for swag and general cool stuff. :)

(I wish Titanfall was there though)

Doffen

Okay, so finally heard back from Xbox UK today and managed to get a couple of tickets to go play Xbox One for 5 hours(!) on Friday 25th October, which is awesome. I work 10 minutes walk from the venue in Shoreditch, London so a mate and I at work are going to stroll over there and enjoy. I am hopeful for swag and general cool stuff. :)

(I wish Titanfall was there though)

Get me some swag while you're there.

I didn't see a thread for this, a buddy of mine just sent me some linkage for Canadians. Future Shop and Best Buy in Canada are holding "Xbox One Demo Days" and the best part, they start tomorrow at select Future Shops and Best Buys.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/category/xbox-one-demo-days/xboxdemo.aspx

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/xbox-one-demo-days/xboxdemo.aspx

Since I'm a junior perhaps someone could start a thread with this info.

I think I'm going to go tomorrow before people start finding out about this.

ref

I didn't see a thread for this, a buddy of mine just sent me some linkage for Canadians. Future Shop and Best Buy in Canada are holding "Xbox One Demo Days" and the best part, they start tomorrow at select Future Shops and Best Buys.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/category/xbox-one-demo-days/xboxdemo.aspx

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/xbox-one-demo-days/xboxdemo.aspx

Since I'm a junior perhaps someone could start a thread with this info.

I think I'm going to go tomorrow before people start finding out about this.

Yeah, I just heard about this a few hours ago. I'm going to head out to the Winnipeg one tomorrow around 7:00pm. Will post impressions here after.

CDV13

Will never understand why these things do not come to OSU. It is on the way from where they are in Indiana to Pittsburgh basically. Also, 50,000+ 18-23 year olds. Columbus is a large city as well.

Oh well I guess.

Have played both this and the ps4 at a event here not too long ago. I don't consider myself a fanboy but with my 360 breaking down and imo the longer breath of the ps3 had me on the ps4, let alone ps+.

But i must say the xbox stand impressed me more then the sony one did, it did feel quite relax( and you got a hoody!) even talked to a ms guy their who was really interested of what i found of it. Played some dead rising, fell in love with the controller, the short amount of time i can't say it is perfect but it comes pretty close. Game was mwe though, after 5 minutes i was kinda walking around doing nothing...

Ps4 on the other hand, i could only play knack... Yay... And that was not due to long lines, the controller felt like a ps3 controller which is not bad, but i keep thinking the xbone one is the superior controller of the two..

Kinda confused now what to get, i must say well done to microsoft at that event, sony left a dissapointed feeling when i left the stand.. Shame the ms pr really hit them cause i see that it is really a fine product..

But i must say the xbox stand impressed me more then the sony one did, it did feel quite relax( and you got a hoody!) even talked to a ms guy their who was really interested of what i found of it.

You got a hoody? Was it from the truck tour or a separate event?

Did everyone get hoodies?

Played some dead rising, fell in love with the controller, the short amount of time i can't say it is perfect but it comes pretty close. Game was mwe though, after 5 minutes i was kinda walking around doing nothing...

So you found DR3 to be boring then after playing it a little?

Ps4 on the other hand, i could only play knack... Yay... And that was not due to long lines, the controller felt like a ps3 controller which is not bad, but i keep thinking the xbone one is the superior controller of the two..

Yeah if all you had to play was knack that's understandable

Disappointed they didn't have Killzone available for play

You got a hoody? Was it from the truck tour or a separate event?

Did everyone get hoodies?

So you found DR3 to be boring then after playing it a little?

Yeah if all you had to play was knack that's understandable

Disappointed they didn't have Killzone available for play
Sorry not a hoody, it was a cap you wear when it"s winter, can't really find the english word for it :") but hey better then nothing, which we got from sony( one of the fee which didn't have goodies though) was at Firstlook, the only "big" game event we have in the Netherlands.

Jeah it was kinda boring, but it can be because it isn't really my type of game.. Sure the first 5 minutes it was fun to slaught all the zombies.. Driving through the crowd on your motor cycle, but thats about it really.. Game didn't blow me away but thats not really a suprise since it's a launch game..

We were told Killzone was playable their, but it wasn't, figured since it was a dutch event and all.. So it was either drive club, some indies, ac4 or knack.. Choose knack, fun platformer but i dunno.. Not the best first next-gen experience xD

Sorry not a hoody, it was a cap you wear when it"s winter, can't really find the english word for it :") but hey better then nothing, which we got from sony( one of the fee which didn't have goodies though) was at Firstlook, the only "big" game event we have in the Netherlands.

Jeah it was kinda boring, but it can be because it isn't really my type of game.. Sure the first 5 minutes it was fun to slaught all the zombies.. Driving through the crowd on your motor cycle, but thats about it really.. Game didn't blow me away but thats not really a suprise since it's a launch game..

We were told Killzone was playable their, but it wasn't, figured since it was a dutch event and all.. So it was either drive club, some indies, ac4 or knack.. Choose knack, fun platformer but i dunno.. Not the best first next-gen experience xD

Thanks for the further clarification :)

So Driveclub was playable there then?

How long ago was this?

So ya, just came back. The overall impressions so far were exactly what i expected.

The controller feels nice. Seems a bit smaller but it took me all of 2-3 seconds to get used to it. Triggers rumbling independently was a bit weird at first, but as the race progressed i enjoyed that aspect of it more and more. Overall the controller felt very familiar to me. I felt right at home.

Only game there was Forza5, looks prettier but i wasnt blown away. Im also not a big fan of that franchise. To me, they all look the same.

OS wasn't available. Kinect was off. Lighting there was super high so it was hard to really give a good impression of the game graphically. Sound too, couldn't hear anything.

Other than that, not much to say. Its an xbox360, only with better specs. Exactly what i expected. Cant wait.

eso76

Maybe in-game (what really matters) but during a garage sequence it wasn't 1080p or had some questionable filtering (TV or in game) to it. Either way, it was unnoticeable in-game.

there's forzavista / garage videos in 1080p direct feed around.
It most certainly doesn't look upscaled and IQ is as good as it gets.

Garage sequences being lower resolution than ingame would make no sense.

So are the rumble triggers any better? When I tried it at E3 I was amazed how weak they were. I was expecting an almost strong jolt when I fire, not a cellphone vibration. In comparison the base vibration was much more intense.

netBuff

Since threadwhiners forced a closing on my thread, read my impressions over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699025

The short version: I'm really disappointed in the graphical capabilities of the system (I expected a big leap, instead I saw aliasing everywhere) as well as the controller, which seems highly uncomfortable to hold (grips seem to wide, bumpers are strange to press, sticks are much too small).

t I have never, ever, in all my years of gaming seen someone
make a game that did arcade as well as the arcade-only titles, and sim
as well as the sim-only titles all at once. In Forza's case, they've
got brilliant physics, and AI that belongs more in Need for Speed than a
sim. It's fun, people love it, but until they get their AI in order,
it'll never be a sim.

Top Bottom