• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No girly-men allowed: Official Contra 4 shut-up-and-shoot Thread

iddqd

I´am also not yet through the first level.
But giving up is not an option!

and i have to repeat the biggest truth about this game:
its great fan service!

ThirstyFly said:
So I'm hearing the game doesn't have the option to lock your firing direction and keep moving like in Shattered Soldier? Just the option to hold yourself in place and fire in any of the 8 directions? I'm not liking that :(

You can.

Press and hold the right trigger and you can shoot in any direction without having to move.

Left trigger is cycle between weapons.

Seriously, playing the game on hard mode with the changed music (it plays the NES contra theme, but with better DS - enabled audio) was worth 29.99 itself.

Even if I never beat this game on normal, I don't care. Playing the first few levels is fun enough, and easily compensated for the price of admission. I hate how you -have- to see the game's credits nowadays to "enjoy" it.

C- Warrior said:
You can.

Press and hold the right trigger and you can shoot in any direction without having to move.

Left trigger is cycle between weapons.

Re-read my post. I was referring to being able to lock your firing direction and still move, not locking your position and being able to fire in any direction.

Contra 4 is like Contra 3, where you can only lock your position (so I'm told, I don't have mine yet). Shattered Soldier let you do both.

Bebpo

Banned
So umm, I'm on the 2nd part of the boss of stage 6 and I seem to be stuck in an endless loop?

I don't have any weapons beyond standard gun so I can't seem to
close the door on his head in time. So I just keep repeating the jump, jump, duck, fire at door circle pattern and nothing is happening.

What am I missing?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Bebpo said:
So umm, I'm on the 2nd part of the boss of stage 6 and I seem to be stuck in an endless loop?

I don't have any weapons beyond standard gun so I can't seem to
close the door on his head in time. So I just keep repeating the jump, jump, duck, fire at door circle pattern and nothing is happening.

What am I missing?

Same exact thing happened to me, the solution is kind of silly.
You have to button mash the shoot button, not just hold it. Button mashing almost always makes you shoot faster.

Bebpo

Banned
Yay, finished it on easy mode. Really, really enjoyed it. Some of the levels were awesome and some of the boss fights were really awesome. At first I thought the game was more reflex/timing-based than the rote-memorization of SS, but at least on easy I'd say it's pretty much exactly like SS where it's all about memorization. Once I got the levels down I was able to blow through it and keep my awesome weapons for the bosses, which took them down ridiculously fast compared to the first time I beat them with my puny little normal gun.

My only complaint with lvl.1-7 is that
the bosses in stage 4 and 6 were a joke on easy? Stage 4 boss only punched down and little missiles flew down. I was waiting for his real form to show up with tough patterns, but no....I guess they figure the level was hard enough so the boss should be a pushover? That missile jumping part kills me every time >_<

The stage 6 skeleton was the same thing. Fire left, fire right, fire above, repeat...what? Way too easy. And then on the 2nd form...the exact same patterns dodged the exact same ways?

Stage 5 boss was pretty easy too. Just go to the side the laser eye starts from and shoot down, then dodge the one fish that comes up and his bullet.

I'm hoping maybe these bosses will have more patterns on normal? I mean the bosses look cool, but they were just way too easy compared to the stages, which were challenging.

Favorite boss was definitely stage 2 and favorite level was stage 4.

Now time for normal! At this rate I'll never open up that sealed copy of Assassin's Creed I have sitting with it ^^;

sykoex said:
Same exact thing happened to me, the solution is kind of silly.
You have to button mash the shoot button, not just hold it. Button mashing almost always makes you shoot faster.

Yeah, found that on gamefaqs. Would have helped if the game had somehow told me that existed :p

Full set of unlockables:

The following is what you can unlock from doing all the challenges in Contra 4:

Games:
Contra
Super C

Comics:
Contra III
Contra IV

Interview

Characters:
Probotector
Lucia
Sheena
Jimbo (Contra III Blue)
Sully (Contra III Orange)

Jimbo/Sully are claimed to be the actual sprite in Contra III. Low frame animations and all that.

And finally when completing, all challenges, you get a sound test and a pretty big bonus art gallery. And yes, the contra III characters voices say "It's time for revenge." and "Let's attack aggressively" when they die.

Source: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=941461&topic=39569151

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I love how Contra still isn't mucked up by silly things like "realism." Few next gen games can get away with stuff like unlimited bullets and power-ups that fly across the screen for no apparent reason. :lol

SSnake

Made it stage 9 this time on normal

U fight the boss at the start. He grows super big and u go inside and then it looks like the alien stages from all the other contras, shooting mouths and all

stage 8 Boss:

The heart! It is so ridiculously easy though

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I like the way all you guys are making up lies about the 2nd level onwards. It's clearly not possible to get past the first stage.

How in the holy god do you beat the first boss? Once he gets taller there is nowhere to stand!

*sobs*

catfish said:
I like the way all you guys are making up lies about the 2nd level onwards. It's clearly not possible to get past the first stage.

How in the holy god do you beat the first boss? Once he gets taller there is nowhere to stand!

*sobs*

Which first boss. The alien or the building?

Anyway, I have a question. what's the best way to defend aginst the boss at the end of level 4 (harbor) his arm attack is tough to evade...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
catfish said:

*sobs*
You can grapple the helicopter. :p

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I love how the Probotector robot actually has an English accent. :lol Nice touch.

"To Probotect and serve."

Bebpo

Banned
sykoex said:

I thought the 2nd part of the 1st level boss was the hardest boss in stage 1-7 on easy. Too much stuff to multi-task. The soldiers up top are the deadliest, but to kill them you have to not only time your claw ascent to avoid all their shots but also to avoid the laser beam and then you have to try to shoot them and kill them without getting hit by their shots/laser beam and then when you drop you have to worry about not dropping into their bullets and bottom laser beam.

...it's hard >_<

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sykoex said:

great.

Now the game makes me feel unskilled AAAND stupid. I guess I can identify with battered wives, cause I'm totally going back for more.

bgudna

has this been mentioned? I was on stage 2 and shut the DS off mid-game (had to get back to work) and then when i turned it on later it offered me to resume the game (using up one of my continues)

Link1110

Bebpo said:
I thought the 2nd part of the 1st level boss was the hardest boss in stage 1-7 on easy. Too much stuff to multi-task. The soldiers up top are the deadliest, but to kill them you have to not only time your claw ascent to avoid all their shots but also to avoid the laser beam and then you have to try to shoot them and kill them without getting hit by their shots/laser beam and then when you drop you have to worry about not dropping into their bullets and bottom laser beam.

...it's hard >_<
The easiest way is this:

Kill the first part, have laser and spreader

As soon as the first part is dead, stand in front of the bottom and shoot with the laser. Shoot it, and jump with it to keep shooting it as long as you can. Now, with the laser, use the grapple and finish the top part off asap. Then take out your spreader and shoot up and right to kill the soldiers.

I had to shut the game off right after I figured this out this morning, so I don't know if you use the spreader shooting downwards if you can kill any of the lower parts, but if you stand out of the range of the lower part's guns, and use the laser, that part shouldn't be any problem.

Fantasmo

I love how Jake Kaufman of vgmix.com did all the music for this game. I've been listening to his stuff for years and it's great to see him doing high profile music now.

Check out his Contra 1 soundtrack remix from 1999, it still kicks all kinds of ass.

I'm not gonna direct link to the file since you guys might hammer the site, but just scroll down and click on Contravirt:

http://virt.vgmix.com/index.php?page=arrange

Fantasmo

A lot of you seem to be having trouble with the first boss.
My best tip is to use the spread gun.

First, take out the soldier, then concentrate on the turrets from the left side of the top platform. Drop to the middle platform, hold R and blast the wall diagonally so you don't get shot.

As soon as you take out the wall, pound on the shoot button from a step away and as it goes up aim diagonally at it to get a few hits off.

As soon as the helicopter comes into view, grapple the middle of it, aim diagonally, and take out ALL the soldiers and drop down to the top platform before the top wall fires. You have one chance to get this right unless you plan on dodging 100 things at once.

You're now safe from stray shots.

Take out the 2 new turrets, then the lower wall again using the same technique as before (holding down the R button and shooting diagonally so you don't have to do any dodging.

Once you take out the 2nd lower wall, you're now free to take your time and destroy the upper wall from below with your spread gun.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
GrayFoxPL said:
Yesh, yesh!

Sean Connery aprooves!

ConneryPreBond.jpg
Why is Revolver Ocelot cosplaying Sean Connery?

RedBoot

After seeing the full list of unlockables, I'm kind of surprised that
the wolfman from Hard Corps didn't make it in.
I always felt like that one was a shoe-in.

I need to get back to Challenge Mode so I can try to unlock the rest, though, because some of them sound pretty cool.

Does Challenge Mode keep your score where you can replay them to achieve a higher score or is it just "beat this challenge - move on to the next one"?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Gamecocks625 said:
Does Challenge Mode keep your score where you can replay them to achieve a higher score or is it just "beat this challenge - move on to the next one"?
No high scores :(

A lot of the challenges don't really lend themselves to high scores though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This game is SO awesome...remember when this was first announced and everyone expected this game to suck? Stuff like:

duckroll said:
I love how these DS threads always go. The developer is questionable, the franchise is iffy, the entire deal smells like a cheap cash-in, but fans will still hang on to every single little thing to convince themselves that this time it's different, this is THE one, and WOW there's potential. Oh well, at least all that will melt away into denial and tears after the products are actually released. Every single time. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
This game is SO awesome...remember when this was first announced and everyone expected this game to suck? Stuff like:

Heh, well what he said sounds more like most Wii/PS3 games to me :p

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
2 questions

1. What do the blank power-ups do?

2. Sometimes I get an extra life out of nowhere it seems, why does this happen?

Momar

aka Ryder
So, I just bought this game, and before even opening it my jaw has already hit the floor.
"Guns. Aliens. Spread Shot. CARNAGE." :lol

Vrolokus

Banned
According to a few posters on GameFAQs, there's a "glitch" where sometimes you end up with 99 lives on easy.

Anyone else experience this?

JRPereira

Finally got a chance to play it tonight. SOOO hilariously great, even though I haven't even gotten to the end of the waterfall level yet.

They did everything right. You can even disable the voice clips if you find them annoying or non-authentic.

Also, I'm SOOOO happy that jump is B and shoot is Y.

Picked this up today and I've got to say it's pretty damn awesome. Seems like pure Contra goodness all around. The "gap" takes some getting used to and I find myself taking this more slow and steady than I do with previous Contra titles because of it.

The only real problem I'm having is with my DS Lite's terribly unresponsive diagonals. :|

Top Bottom