• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No girly-men allowed: Official Contra 4 shut-up-and-shoot Thread

JRPereira

Jirotrom said:
where do you input it?

on the pause screen - only do it once per life, otherwise you'll be killed.

up up down down left right left right b a select start.

Not sure it requires the select, but it works with it at least.

john tv

Just got my copy from the US, woot!

The Museum section says the first game was called Gryzor in Japanese arcades, but this isn't true. It was called Contra here. D'oh!

Bebpo

Banned
john tv said:
Just got my copy from the US, woot!

The Museum section says the first game was called Gryzor in Japanese arcades, but this isn't true. It was called Contra here. D'oh!

Yeah that threw me for a loop. What the heck was Gryzor?

/goes to wikipedia

*edit, ah it was the European name.

This has been an euphoric experience throughout. I just 1cc'd the game on normal, much thanks to challenges who were of more use than I expected - they gradually prepare you for mastering some of the more intricate segments with the standard pea shooter.

The only nitpick I have is with the third (or fourth) boss, either I'm not seeing it or the cue for evading his left arm swing isn't very obvious apart from his shoulder pulling up, and it's usually too late by then.

Some general advice

1) Give peas a chance
2) Never stop shooting
3) Hold on to the crush gun for dear life

Edit: I found this quote in one of the unlockables:

"Looks like we're making progress..."
"How's that?"
"Cause things just got worse"

It's true you know :lol

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
clockradiospeakers said:
So, guys, how did Wayforward go from five years of developing nothing but utter dreck to making the official Game of the Forever? It's baffling.
you just find a publisher that cares about what you do.

Aeana

Well, there's a music rip of the game floating around now. I'm not sure if it's okay to link it here or not, so I haven't.

Here is also Jake's audition track from when he bid for the game. A condensed version of it was/is on the official Contra 4 site, but this is the full thing, with permission from Konami to share it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i refuse to give up playing on normal. still haven't seen the beginning of level three. Damn you giant alien monster DAMN YOU

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
C- Warrior said:
Beat the jungle level with 100% accuracy?

Fuck that, I'll grow a vagina if I have to but I'm dealing with that. No fuckin' way.
That one isn't THAT tough. Remember, 100% doesn't mean kill everything. Just don't try shooting anything you can just dodge.

goompapa

C- Warrior said:
Beat the jungle level with 100% accuracy?

Fuck that, I'll grow a vagina if I have to but I'm dealing with that. No fuckin' way.

You mean ACCURACY_2 ? That one is a cakewalk
after 100s of tries.

The challenges on Harvest Yards, those are fcking bitches ! Friendly Fire on Harvest Yard...fck I have trouble just staying alive blasting in all directions, and now I have to be selective with my targets ?!. :lol

Johnas

catfish said:
i refuse to give up playing on normal. still haven't seen the beginning of level three. Damn you giant alien monster DAMN YOU

Powered up Machine Gun is your friend. You wouldn't ordinarily think so, but serious ownage. Also comes in really handy on Stage 3.

Got the game this afternoon. The game isn't that hard at normal. After about 3 tries I can pretty much pass the first level without dying. Just reached the 4th level, which leads me to:

My game crashed twice on me already. Did it happen to somebody else? It happened once the first time I reached the 4th stage, and it just happened to me on the 2nd level. Both screens basically went blank after dying, with the music still playing in the background. Wayforward sure did nail the gameplay, but failed at bug testing as far as I'm concerned.

Whew, that's 40 tough challenges completed, I've earned my chest hair.

Unlocks:
Sound test and art galleries

The Main Event said:
My game crashed twice on me already. Did it happen to somebody else? It happened once the first time I reached the 4th stage, and it just happened to me on the 2nd level. Both screens basically went blank after dying, with the music still playing in the background. Wayforward sure did nail the gameplay, but failed at bug testing as far as I'm concerned.
That sounds familiar, it has happened to me once on the second level at the waterfall.

JSnake

The Main Event said:
Got the game this afternoon. The game isn't that hard at normal. After about 3 tries I can pretty much pass the first level without dying. Just reached the 4th level, which leads me to:

Yup, and same circumstances as you.

Johnas

That's a shame about the game crashing for you guys. Haven't had that happen at all.

Finally got to Stage 5 today, and had 7 lives. Got completely wiped out in the span of two minutes. :lol

Stage 4 is quite easy once you get the hang of that
rocket ride
. And to add to what I said before, so far the powered up Machine Gun seems to be the best combination of speed, power, and range, not to mention the fact that it's fully automatic. You can melt the faces off bosses with it.

Oh! My Car! said:
Whew, that's 40 tough challenges completed, I've earned my chest hair.

When are any challenges available? I've only played the game on Normal, made it to Stage 5.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Johnas said:
When are any challenges available? I've only played the game on Normal, made it to Stage 5.
When you beat the game once...

Stage 4 owns me, even on easy... I lost 3 or 4 continues on stage 4 tonight, and made it to the biker boss on stage 7, before i got a game over...

Stages 3, 5, and 6 are pretty easy, at least

Johnas

sykoex said:
The spider boss on stage 7 is so fun to fight.

Yeah, I got to Stage 7 last night. That fight was clever. Also loved the new take on 6's classic boss.

I can't wait to see exactly what they throw at you at the end of the game.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
So I tried out the 99 lives glitch and it works. I did it on Hard, thinking surely I would be able to beat the game.

I made it to level 8.

Owned.

My chest hairs have been revoked.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hellraizah said:
Just got the game, I refuse to play on anything below Hard.
good luck? :X

I'd recommend beating it on easy first so you can unlock the challenges

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
JSnake said:
I just beat the game on easy. I got my six-pack, when do I get the chest hair?

When you get through some of these ridiculous challenges. Friendly Fire, and 100% accuracy, make me want to cry. :(

JSnake

Oldschoolgamer said:
When you get through some of these ridiculous challenges. Friendly Fire, and 100% accuracy, make me want to cry. :(

I got through four of 'em and unlocked the original Contra.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
still refusing easy mode. beat the giant alien on level 2, keep getting killed at level 3 somewhere near the middle due to lack of concentration.

god this game is hard/great. I can destroy the first level now at least!

Pachinko

Based on this thread I just started on easy mode and I made it to stage 7 but ran out of lives. It's certainly a difficult game but it's also a blast.

JRPereira

Well, I lost my first continue on normal on the stage 5 boss. I'm getting pretty good at normal now. I could probably do easy on a single life now.

I'll start up my next continue on stage 5 soon. I gotta make sure I bring along the machinegun and preferably the homing missiles to the boss, otherwise it's pretty hard.

Hard mode actually feels easier in some ways - because it throws so much at you, you're constantly keeping on the alert - plus it feels like you earn more lives, but playing on normal again I'm not so sure.

The difficulty of this game makes my knees shake.

Ugh, challenge 26 was such a fucking waste of time, why should I have to waste 3 minutes of my life running through the easy part of the level after every time I shoot some dumbass civilian who gets lost in a crowd of soldiers near the end of the level? They shouldn't make the challenges last the entire level.

I still can't find this locally in a retail stores here in Canada.

Maybe Konami should have spent less time trying to hire viral marketers and more time making sure the game is actually available to purchase!

JRPereira

So does level 9 have
a whole bunch of sublevels or something? It seems to start out purple and mechanic and I haven't gotten to the familiar reddish area featured in some of the challenge levels.

stuminus3

Game is in abundant supply in Canada now. I went out to Best Buy in Toronto earlier today and picked it up. I did my shopping WITH NO SHIRT ON. In -10 degree cold. Y'know, just to toughen me up a bit.

Holy crap, is this game ever sweet. BIG amount of respect to WayForward, they've done something that not one of Konami's teams have been able to do in 15 years (though I did somewhat enjoy Shattered Soldier).

Not as hard as I had thought it would be... though I used to be able to 1 life Contra III on Normal and 1CC on Hard back in the day. Not something I've been able to do again on the Virtual Console (I have trouble just 1CC'ing normal mode now), but the difficulty on Contra 4 seems just right. Really well designed, too - deaths are usually because I suck, not because the game is hard for hard's sake. Dual screen thing hasn't bothered me either, it's ironically given the game back the bizarre vertical aspect ratio the original Contra arcade game had.

So ends my 10-year love affair with Metal Slug. Welcome back, Contra!

Just died at the boss at stage 7. Holy shit this game is awesome.

And the soundtrack is just stellar. Virt should just post some pics without a shirt on.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
JRPereira said:
So does level 9 have
a whole bunch of sublevels or something? It seems to start out purple and mechanic and I haven't gotten to the familiar reddish area featured in some of the challenge levels.
the answer is way too awesome to tell you and spoil it. :lol

stuminus3

GaimeGuy said:
What difficulty are you playing on? o_O
Trying to 1CC Normal mode.

It's definitely not easy... I just think after 20 years of playing these kinds of games, my expectations are a little different... all this talk of how hard the game is got me thinking it was going to be one of these games where it's crazy unplayable hard to the point where it could even be considered a fault in the game design, and that's not the case with Contra 4 at all. It's no different from any other old-school arcade game. A little bit of practice this evening and I can now ace the first level in Hard mode without losing a life. I've seen games where it just seems physically impossible to not get wiped out at every corner... and Contra 4 isn't one of them. It's just right.

stuminus3 said:
Game is in abundant supply in Canada now. I went out to Best Buy in Toronto earlier today and picked it up. I did my shopping WITH NO SHIRT ON. In -10 degree cold. Y'know, just to toughen me up a bit.

Well, Best Buy in Scarborough sure doesn't have it, even though their stupid website says they do. Toys R Us already sold out and I've been on hold with Zellers for 20 minutes now trying to find out if they have it. I don't think I've ever seen a game's release be such a clusterfuck before.

Edit: Zellers doesn't have it either :(

Edit 2: And neither does Walmart.

Segata Sanshiro said:
HMV and EB Games are your friend in Canada for a Contra hookup, amigo. Especially HMV.

Sweet, gonna run down to the mall then, there's an EB and a HMV there. Do you know if they're still $29.99 at both places? EB's usually more expensive for DS games around here and I've never bought one a HMV. Didn't even know they sold games.

ThirstyFly said:
Sweet, gonna run down to the mall then, there's an EB and a HMV there. Do you know if they're still $29.99 at both places? EB's usually more expensive for DS games around here and I've never bought one a HMV. Didn't even know they sold games.
I paid $34.99 at my EB, and I think HMV is the same, but HMV has this weird habit of charging more the day they get the game and then dropping it a day or two later, so you might find it to be $29.99 there.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I paid $34.99 at my EB, and I think HMV is the same, but HMV has this weird habit of charging more the day they get the game and then dropping it a day or two later, so you might find it to be $29.99 there.

That is weird. Thanks for the tip. And EB's sticking an extra $5 on the price of DS games continues...

JRPereira

sykoex said:
the answer is way too awesome to tell you and spoil it. :lol

Yea, I found out earlier. That shit is fucking awesome. Scared the crap out of me though as I wasn't really sure what was going to happen after
beating the intro boss

Top Bottom