• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HK-47 said:
Did anyone ever confirm if that rumor about Tails and Pokey being ATs was true?
No. They were only mentioned by one person and there was no video. A lot of people think that the Saki assist confirms them because there was no video of him but him and the Metroid were listed by several credible sources where Pokey and Tails were not. They're possible, just not confirmed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man God said:
I predict character tonight. Someone blue, a man even, fighting for everlasting peace.

Yep, Hector Tonight.
Just for that you may have doomed us to Krystal. Why must the fates be so cruel to us?

pulga

Banned
Man God said:
I predict character tonight. Someone blue, a man even, fighting for everlasting peace.

Yep, Hector Tonight.

fry-see-what-you-did-there-scaled.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RoboPlato said:
Just for that you may have doomed us to Krystal. Why must the fates be so cruel to us?

You do realize because of that VA's website a few weeks ago that Krystal is pretty much guaranteed to be in this game. I mean, sure, I can understand why people wouldn't want her in, being a symbol of both furrydom and sub-par Star Fox games, but honestly, I fall into the camp of the more the merrier when it comes to Smash characters.

Still, because I said character tonight its going to be something we know all about like the Mario Kart level or a pokemon that someone noted at E 4 All.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man God said:
You do realize because of that VA's website a few weeks ago that Krystal is pretty much guaranteed to be in this game. I mean, sure, I can understand why people wouldn't want her in, being a symbol of both furrydom and sub-par Star Fox games, but honestly, I fall into the camp of the more the merrier when it comes to Smash characters.

Still, because I said character tonight its going to be something we know all about like the Mario Kart level or a pokemon that someone noted at E 4 All.
I'm well aware of that, I was just kidding. I've expected Krystal to be in for a very long time, I'm just not a fan of the character although not as opposed to her as most seem to be. The only reason I just think it would really suck if she was shown now because that would be the end of our character drought.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RoboPlato said:
I'm well aware of that, I was just kidding. I've expected Krystal to be in for a very long time, I'm just not a fan of the character although not as opposed to her as most seem to be. The only reason I just think it would really suck if she was shown now because that would be the end of our character drought.

I hear that. I'm betting she won't be revealed anytime soon, she'd make a decent "hidden" character.

Still, it is interesting to note that the characters that haven't been mentioned from the Melee roster were all at one point hidden characters.

Luigi (Hidden in SSB and Melee)
Jigglypuff (Hidden in SSB and Melee)
Ness (Hidden in SSB)
Falcon (Hidden in SSB)
Mewtwo, Game and Watch, Marth, Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Gannondorf, Young Link (Hidden in Melee)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man God said:
I hear that. I'm betting she won't be revealed anytime soon, she'd make a decent "hidden" character.

Still, it is interesting to note that the characters that haven't been mentioned from the Melee roster were all at one point hidden characters.

Luigi (Hidden in SSB and Melee)
Jigglypuff (Hidden in SSB and Melee)
Ness (Hidden in SSB)
Falcon (Hidden in SSB)
Mewtwo, Game and Watch, Marth, Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Gannondorf, Young Link (Hidden in Melee)
I've thought that for a while as well. I'm pretty sure they're all hidden again. On a different note, I honestly can't think of many more characters that will be added. Aside from a couple of GAF's most hated (Bowser Jr and Krystal) Ridley and Geno are the only other first parties I can think of, and I don't think they'll make the cut as playable. Any characters, especially third parties, are going to be a surprise from here on out.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
sp0rsk said:
Yes. There are people out there who don't like sifting through a 40,000 page thread looking for info about a game. There are people who can't stand having to sift through retarded Nintendo fans whining about krystal to see new pics of the game.

Some people are a lot of people.

This thread is NOT THE OFFICIAL SMASH BROTHERS THREAD. It's the official DOJO UPDATE THREAD. IGN UPDATES, FAMITSU UPDATES, UPDATES THAT AREN'T FROM THE DOJO, DO NOT GO HERE.

We've had this discussion before.
But we have to sift through 40,000 posts to see those discussions! waaaaaaaaah

Wario-Man is awesome. Good update IMO.

I think we will only get about 30 characters for the final roster. We have 23, and Im saying we get Krystal, Gannon, Luigi, Jigglypuff, capt. Falcon, Marth, Bowser Jr., and another third party character. Anything more than that and my expectations will be greatly exceeded. Thats 31 but Sakurai loves randomness so its all good :D

Jiggy

Man God said:
You do realize because of that VA's website a few weeks ago that Krystal is pretty much guaranteed to be in this game.
We don't know in what capacity. Slippy and Peppy had voice acting in Melee.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RoboPlato said:
I've thought that for a while as well. I'm pretty sure they're all hidden again. On a different note, I honestly can't think of many more characters that will be added. Aside from a couple of GAF's most hated (Bowser Jr and Krystal) Ridley and Geno are the only other first parties I can think of, and I don't think they'll make the cut as playable. Any characters, especially third parties, are going to be a surprise from here on out.

Geno is third party

Also you are forgetting a couple of other heavily requested characters like Olimar and Lucario

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy37 said:
We don't know in what capacity. Slippy and Peppy had voice acting in Melee.

This is true. I forgot about the extra special hidden taunt. It could even be a voiced AT for all we know. Still, I'd be fairly shocked if she wasn't playable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HK-47 said:
Geno is third party

Also you are forgetting a couple of other heavily requested characters like Olimar and Lucario
I did forget Olimar, I think he will definitely show up in some capactity. As for the others, wasn't Geno in the last Mario & Luigi game? I didn't think Square had any part in it, did they? I've heard rumor that Sakurai said he considers Geno first party, can anyone confirm this? I also doubt Lucario will be in since there is so much Pokemon reputation already (I highly doubt Mewtwo will be out).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
RoboPlato said:
I did forget Olimar, I think he will definitely show up in some capactity. As for the others, wasn't Geno in the last Mario & Luigi game? I didn't think Square had any part in it, did they? I've heard rumor that Sakurai said he considers Geno first party, can anyone confirm this? I also doubt Lucario will be in since there is so much Pokemon reputation already (I highly doubt Mewtwo will be out).
I have no idea where the hell you got that Sakurai thing about Geno (your ass, most likely), but it does not matter what one person "considers" Geno to be.

Legally, he's the property of Square Enix.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GaimeGuy said:
I have no idea where the hell you got that Sakurai thing about Geno (your ass, most likely), but it does not matter what one person "considers" Geno to be.

Legally, he's the property of Square Enix.
Someone mentioned it earlier (maybe even in this thread, I'll see if I can find it). I only meant that he wouldn't be counted as a third-party representative if this was the case.

*EDIT*
Wikipedia said:
Although Geno is a registered trademark of Square (now Square Enix),[6] in Little Fungitown of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, a Geno doll is an instructional aid to explain to players how to play the "Star Stache Smash" minigame, and the sound of his speech is very robotic. Just as Gaz played with the doll in Super Mario RPG, a person's hand operates Geno, since the otherworldly traveler left the doll's body after defeating Smithy.
Nintendo must be able to use Geno for certain purposes. I doubt they would take the time (and possibly money) to use him for such a small part. Although, for something like Smash they would probably need more permission.

KevinCow said:
I'm not a fan of Geno, but I think he's got a decent chance. He scored well on the poll, he's got a strong fanbase, and I believe Sakurai mentioned him specifically, saying something like, "I consider Geno first-party," or something.
Can anyone else confirm this?

RoboPlato said:
I think there will be an Animal Crossing fighter. :D

ohamsie

sp0rsk said:
Yes. There are people out there who don't like sifting through a 40,000 page thread looking for info about a game. There are people who can't stand having to sift through retarded Nintendo fans whining about krystal to see new pics of the game.

Some people are a lot of people.

This thread is NOT THE OFFICIAL SMASH BROTHERS THREAD. It's the official DOJO UPDATE THREAD. IGN UPDATES, FAMITSU UPDATES, UPDATES THAT AREN'T FROM THE DOJO, DO NOT GO HERE.

We've had this discussion before.

Why can't we have both? Have a whole new topic created for people who don't want to sift through the posts in this topic, and also mention it in this topic for the people who subscribe to this thread for smash news but might accidentally overlook a new topic. Especially if the new topic is one for just a few screenshots that will quickly fall off the first few pages of topics.

ohamsie said:
Why can't we have both? Have a whole new topic created for people who don't want to sift through the posts in this topic, and also mention it in this topic for the people who subscribe to this thread for smash news but might accidentally overlook a new topic. Especially if the new topic is one for just a few screenshots that will quickly fall off the first few pages of topics.

Yeah, if this thread really is such a lost cause anyway, why not just let us post the pics in here?

Jiggy

Predicting Vespiquen as per usual, commanding Combees so that Beedrill and Unown don't return. I'll be out for a couple hours, but back in time for the update.

KevinCow

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Someone mentioned it earlier (maybe even in this thread, I'll see if I can find it). I only meant that he wouldn't be counted as a third-party representative if this was the case.

*EDIT*

Nintendo must be able to use Geno for certain purposes. I doubt they would take the time (and possibly money) to use him for such a small part. Although, for something like Smash they would probably need more permission.

Can anyone else confirm this?
In Mario & Luigi, they had something in the credits that said, "The character Geno is copyrighted by Square Enix" or something along those lines. They had to get permission to put him in there.

I think what Sakurai meant by considering him a first-party character is that, if he made it in, he wouldn't take up one of the few third-party spots.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
civilstrife said:
Yeah, if this thread really is such a lost cause anyway, why not just let us post the pics in here?

Because it's not fair to all the other people who want to create their viral marketing masterpieces 2 months before a game comes out.

KevinCow said:
I think what Sakurai meant by considering him a first-party character is that, if he made it in, he wouldn't take up one of the few third-party spots.

That's exactly what he meant. He said it so that if he did include Geno we all wouldn't get bummed that he's taking up a 3rd-party 'spot'.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
KevinCow said:
In Mario & Luigi, they had something in the credits that said, "The character Geno is copyrighted by Square Enix" or something along those lines. They had to get permission to put him in there.

The third party spot was what I was getting at. Thanks for clearing up the Mario & Luigi thing.

Rindain

Banned
I've never understood Geno's so-called popularity.

Does Geno actually have that huge a following amongst Nintendo fans, or is he only popular on Smashboards?

el jacko

RoboPlato said:
Aside from the aforementioned Animal Crossing and Pikmin, what about Advance Wars? That's still a fairly serious franchise Nintendo's got, that has no real representation in the series yet (aside from a few sprite gimmicks).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
el jacko said:
Aside from the aforementioned Animal Crossing and Pikmin, what about Advance Wars? That's still a fairly serious franchise Nintendo's got, that has no real representation in the series yet (aside from a few sprite gimmicks).

Too western based in popularity. It'll probably get glossed over

Tonight, when everyone least expects it; when spirits are low and forums are filled with frownies; when all hope seemed lost and even the bravest had fallen to despair, he unleashes it: Olimar!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A Link to the Snitch said:
The series predates Fire Emblem, and originated two years before it on the Famicom.

I know that but Nintendo Wars was never as prominent a series as FE. It took a western release to actually get the series boosted to equal sales. AW does horrible in Japan but good on the other side of the pond. Date of inception means nothing.

Danthrax said:
At 8 hours of reading a day? Weeks, probably :lol
His brain will rot before he reaches the end. Incredible amounts of arguing and bannage in this thread...enough to fry one's soul.

Back to the Mass Effect thread for me!

Jiggy

ivysaur12 said:
I wonder how long it would take me to read this entire thread. I sort of want to try, just to see the ups and downs.
This is the 42,604th post. Assuming you could read 15 posts per minute (thus one post every four seconds), it would take 2840.2667 minutes, or 47.33778 hours.

NickP786

Insaniac said:
Just skip the Krystal, he who shall not be named and Items/no items debate and it'll take you about 30 minutes :p

:lol

Im calling Events Mode tonight, highlighted by an epic match against Giant Piplup

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Back on the topic of Wario, I was thinking about this today...

The character of Wario reminds me of Daffy Duck. Over the years there have basically been two different personalities for that character... the first was really wacky, silly, and very over the top... where as the second was a more disgruntled and greedy character. The two 'versions' of Daffy could have almost been completely different characters.

Now look at Wario... and it's like the same thing, only in reverse. :lol Wario started out disgruntled and greedy in the Wario Land games, then went to wacky/crazy in the WarioWare games. (Though I guess technically he is still greedy)

This isn't a complaint, just something interesting I noticed. :)

Jiggy37 said:
This is the 42,604th post. Assuming you could read 15 posts per minute (thus one post every four seconds), it would take 2840.2667 minutes, or 47.33778 hours.

Good lord!

HURGHT

I'd like a Subspace Emissary update to break up the mediocrity a little, but I've got a feeling that tonight (like most of November) we'll be seeing something much less exciting.

So, what I'm predicting is the return of everyone's favorite Game Mode: Coin Battle.

Jiggy

So I calculated based on the 42,610th post. More fun with numbers:

-If you wanted to read through this thread in a single 24-hour period, you would have to be able to read 1775.41667 posts per hour, which means 29.5902778 posts per minute or ~0.4931712963 posts per second. Good luck. :D

-If you spent six hours reading each day, and could consistently read one post every five seconds (4320 posts per six-hour period), you would need 9.8634259259... days. (Look on the bright side: some one-word posts will take you less than a second to read! But watch out for those serious discussions and substantive posts.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom