• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagnarokX

ohamsie said:
various16_071129c-l.jpg

This screenshot looks like F.L.U.D.D.'s head fell off.
No, the platform they are standing on is designed to look like it was made with spare FLUDD parts

Crocodile

Nice update! I'm disappointed that there is no mention of downloadable events or online leader boards or video sharing like with "Smash the Targets". Certainly not a dis-confirmation but you'd think he'd mention here if at any time. Of note is that the Dark Link Match has both players at 200 HP. Does that mean starting HP can be changed from 150 in Stamina Versus Mode? (I would assume it would be but I think this is an argument in favor of that).

Sciz

Neat, events were always fun. I have to wonder just how many we'll get this time, and if the Hands will still make an appearance.

Jiggy

-The second-to-last day of Novembust brings us something that's... not a bust! The triumphant return of Events marks the 19th game mode, bringing game modes back in the lead for second-most-common update type.

-Incidentally, there have been three game mode updates this week: Controls, 16:9, and Events. Do you dare predict one for Friday? Decide as you will.

-40 days (and 40 nights) of updates before the Japanese release date. If you feel like you're wandering lost in a desert until you can get your Brawl on, you're not alone.
Yes, I know it was 40 years.

-Just one more day and we'll have gone a full month without a character profile or a Poke Ball.

-25 days with no character and 31 with no Poke Ball, but actually, as a tangent, neither of those are records: we went for 35 glorious days of no normal items between the Golden Hammer and Items from Previous Installments.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sciz said:
Neat, events were always fun. I have to wonder just how many we'll get this time, and if the Hands will still make an appearance.

Unless they're the masterminds of the Subspace Emissary (which is possible, though I'm doubting that this is the case), I think the Hands will stick to Classic mode (where at least Master Hand will be the end boss) and maybe a token event.

Jiggy

DaMainman said:
Stealth stock match update.
Perhaps even more noteworthy, the Link/Dark Link event is a stamina match but they're at 200 HP, which wasn't possible in Melee... And we also saw the old 150 HP standard in the Special Brawl update. I hope full health customization is allowed in that match type, seeing as it could have been pretty excellent with that feature.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
-40 days (and 40 nights) of updates before the Japanese release date. If you feel like you're wandering lost in a desert until you can get your Brawl on, you're not alone.
Yes, I know it was 40 years.

I prefer to think of it as Smash Lent; forty days and forty nights of sacrifice and purification before the glory that is the second...er, third coming of Smash.

Why yes, I was raised Catholic.

Iam Canadian

Dreavus said:
Cool! I was waiting for a confirmation on this.

That Meta Knight scenario is awesome. It's just like Kirby Super Star! :D

Ah, the memories. I remember how absurd it was how Team Meta Knight still tried to kill Kirby even after the Halberd was destroyed.

Meta Knight Lackey: *As the ship is going down* Let's try one more time to get Kirby!

Meta Knight: Hmmm...it's dangerous, but it's worth a try!

Now I get to re-enact Revenge of Meta Knight from the other side.

pulga

Banned
Meh, nice to know it's confirmed but I didn't expect Sakurai to chop it. He's been adding everything and the kitcken sink, there's no way he would take events out.

Difficulty Sliders CONFIRMED though.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Rockin' update! Event mode's comeback looks slick :)

Iam Canadian said:
So does appearing in the very first event more or less confirm Dedede as default?

I still stand by the belief that all characters revealed on the Dojo prior to the Japanese release are starters with the probable exception of the 3rd party characters (Sakurai said they would be unlockable but that was a long time ago now, and things change... especially when 3rd party contracts are involved)

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:

Oh good, I'm not the only one thinking it.

On that note, one my of taunts while playing as Meta Knight will be "GET IT!".

Iam Canadian

pulga said:
Meh, nice to know it's confirmed but I didn't expect Sakurai to chop it. He's been adding everything and the kitcken sink, there's no way he would take events out.

Difficulty Sliders CONFIRMED though.

But, but, the difficulty selection mechanism we've been presented is clearly of the button persuasion, rather than a slider device.

Dreavus

Iam Canadian said:
Ah, the memories. I remember how absurd it was how Team Meta Knight still tried to kill Kirby even after the Halberd was destroyed.

Haha yeah, those guys were awesome. Kirby beats them at every turn, including destroying their entire ship, and they STILL have the balls to try and attack him one more time.

I almost felt bad for beating them up again.

Chumly

Yes! I loved events in SSBM and its nice to see that they are confirmed back in brawl. This game is packed so full of content its ridiculous.

Iam Canadian

Dreavus said:
Haha yeah, those guys were awesome. Kirby beats them at every turn, including destroying their entire ship, and they STILL have the balls to try and attack him one more time.

I almost felt bad for beating them up again.

All of them stayed to fight Kirby except the bird captain, I think. (He evacuates the minute Meta Knight offers.) The four guys who fight Kirby flee after you defeat them one last time. I actually think the Waddle Dee went down with the ship; he stays to watch the fight between Kirby and Meta Knight and we only see one entity abandoning the Halberd in the ending sequence - Meta Knight.

Truly Waddle Dees are bastions of courage and fortitude.

Jiggy

I'd just like to take this time to note how nice it is to see a large majority of people happy about an update again. It's been so long. :eek:

MrCheez

I really hope we get more than 50 this time. How amazing would it be to have 100 or 200! :O

SAKURAI IS JUST CRAZY ENOUGH TO DO IT!

Iam Canadian

I think the slightly more muted colour scheme on Brawl Bowser fits with the style of the game, though I wish the flame effects were as bright and vibrant as his fire in Galaxy.

MrCheez

DIrtyWeasel said:
I got used to Bowser's more cartoony look (colorful and big eyes) in SMG. SSBB Bowser looks a little strange to me now.

Don't forget to throw his weirdo Melee-look into the comparison:

ssbmpicbowser.gif

I'm really happy with how he looks in Brawl. In Melee they went too far with the monstrous/realistic look... Brawl is a nice medium between realistic and cartoony.

OH also (SUPER MARIO GALAXY END GAME SPOILER >>>)
Your SMG screenshot of Bowser... does that ever happen in the game? I don't remember him ever breathing a stream of fire (instead of fireballs) or ever having any part of the Bowser fights taking place on the top of the castle.. Thats a shame if they cut that out :(

Iam Canadian

MrCheez said:
I'm really happy with how he looks in Brawl. In Melee they went too far with the monstrous/realistic look... Brawl is a nice medium between realistic and cartoony.

Melee took Bowser too far away from his standard design. I like how Sakurai is pulling out no stops when it comes to Giga Bowser in Brawl, though; that thing has a pretty terrifying appearance. He looks downright scary.

Dreavus

Iam Canadian said:
Truly Waddle Dees are bastions of courage and fortitude.

*removes hat, and sheds a silent tear*

Jiggy37 said:
I'd just like to take this time to note how nice it is to see a large majority of people happy about an update again. It's been so long. :eek:

It really has hasn't it? Maybe this is Sakurai's plan... to whittle us down with lame updates, to make us appreciate the more humble posts; the ones that aren't quite megatons.

I think SM64 Bowser is the strangest design.

j01bowser.jpg

Yeah. I think Bowser's apperance has improved greatly, especially in SMG and Brawl, and Giga Bowser is freaking cool. This is a good gen to be a Bowser fan.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It would be awesome if we could design our own events. Hey, Sakurai gave us user-designed stages, I think he can give us user-designed events, too.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
Mario 64, Galaxy, Melee, and Brawl have great Bowsers. Mario Sunshine and the Paper Mario games have a horrible Bowser.

I kind of like Bowser's silly portrayal in the Paper Mario games. It's not something I'd want to see carried over to the mainstream Mario games, but it fits the niche of Paper Mario.

Sunshine Bowser was pretty terrible, though. The voice was a big part of it.

"Mario! How dare you disrupt my family vacation!"

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:
I kind of like Bowser's silly portrayal in the Paper Mario games. It's not something I'd want to see carried over to the mainstream Mario games, but it fits the niche of Paper Mario.

Sunshine Bowser was pretty terrible, though. The voice was a big part of it.

"Mario! How dare you disrupt my family vacation!"

I agree about Bowser in Paper Mario... 'Dumbass Bowser' was awesome. :lol

Also, when I read that quote I can hear the awfulness in my head. :(

pulga

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
But, but, the difficulty selection mechanism we've been presented is clearly of the button persuasion, rather than a slider device.

*rubs chin* Too true, too true. Difficulty Sliders update is hereby back on the market!

MrCheez said:
I agree about Bowser in Paper Mario... 'Dumbass Bowser' was awesome. :lol

Also, when I read that quote I can hear the awfulness in my head. :(

I absolutely love how clueless Bowser is in the Paper Mario games. I actually miss that portrayal in SMG :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom