• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

ksamedi

*Guaraná said:
i remember Mario and Sonic not beeing too hot at the first day, but in the end of the week the game did a nice job seeling over 60k. So let's just wait before jumping in conclusions.

I was thinking the same thing. It did like 15k first day (or something like that).

Crusade

DeaconKnowledge said:
So Ethel, do you think something dramatic is going to happen with the PS3 install base, or do you just believe that the people faithful to these PS2 series will follow it anywhere?

Despite the PS3's sales increase over the past few weeks i'm not seeing much incentive for developers to continue on with the PS3 if the install base doesn't improve.
We'll have to see how PS3 does over the Holidays, and how it sustains itself next year. With quite a few big titles including Final Fantasy and GT, it may become a much more safe investment by next year

The PS2 version of Sengoku Basara costs 4,900 Yen on Amazon (the MSRP is 5,500). While you have to pay 8,500 Yen for the Wii game. Thats quite a difference for one and the same game. The Wii versions price is actually on par with Wii Fit.

ksamedi

slaughterking said:
The PS2 version of Sengoku Basara costs 4,900 Yen on Amazon (the MSRP is 5,500). While you have to pay 8,500 Yen for the Wii game. Thats quite a difference for one and the same game. The Wii versions price is actually on par with Wii Fit.

Well that explains a lot. I guess I was wrong.

slaughterking said:
:O
What a difference.

Grecco said:
Dont Bother. It was never a problem till today, and wouldnt have been a problem had the streams not crossed again.
quite. it'll all even out in the end, so either we'll see MC add a bunch more PS3 sales, or Famitsu take a bunch off at some point. lot of hullabaloo over nothing. the wii was going to take back over after the spike from the price drop slowed down. whether it's happened yet or it's about to happen doesn't really change anything.

kay

slaughterking said:
Nobody listens to the price argument (at least not when considering Wii vs. PS3 sales. :\)

M-C gives us concrete numbers earlier. We do get Famitsu teases, but their concrete numbers are a week later.

This is why we use M-C primarily.

Cue conspiracy theorists.

gkryhewy

Dragona Akehi said:
M-C gives us concrete numbers earlier. We do get Famitsu teases, but their concrete numbers are a week later.

This is why we use M-C primarily.

Cue conspiracy theorists.

To what extent do the preliminary Enterbrain numbers typically match with the final numbers?

gkrykewy said:
To what extent do the preliminary Enterbrain numbers typically match with the final numbers?

Close enough. We always include Famitsu YTD numbers in discussion.

It's really not that much of a difference.

Oh, I didn't know the previous game was included in the Wii version. That kind of justifys the price difference, but I guess nobody is willing to pay for it a second time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Crusade said:
We'll have to see how PS3 does over the Holidays, and how it sustains itself next year. With quite a few big titles including Final Fantasy and GT, it may become a much more safe investment by next year

We'll have to see how PS3 does over the Holidays, and how it sustains itself next year. With quite a few big titles including Minna no Golf 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Motorstorm, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, and Final Fantasy XIII, it may become a much more safe investment by next year.

Stumpokapow said:
We'll have to see how PS3 does over the Holidays, and how it sustains itself next year. With quite a few big titles including Minna no Golf 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Motorstorm, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, and Final Fantasy XIII, it may become a much more safe investment by next year.

Crossing off titles that did nothing for hardware sales. Perhaps you meant Shin Sangoku Musou 5?

Layton 2 is going to sell more than his predecessor, if in one or two week reaches 600k (as much as Layton 1 sold), the million seller mark would not be too far...

Those are some impressive Layton numbers. It'll be interesting to see if this will spur sales of the original as well.

Pangya and SB only do weak numbers. Definetly expected a bit more from SB, not from Pangya though since the first one wasn't well received in Japan anyway.

kay said:
Nobody listens to the price argument (at least not when considering Wii vs. PS3 sales. :\)
Which games have seen a Wii and PS3 release?

jesusraz said:
Any chance you could post the latest Famitsu Top 30 here, please? I also think it should be something in the first post, just as a point of reference for people.

Donny2112 already does that kind of work every week :)

About the first post, we could ask to Cheesemeister, the only problem is about the week, here we can find numbers from the week ending on 25 Nov. meanwhile Famitsu numbers are related to the week ending on 18 Nov., so it might generate confusion to people not used to Sales Age...

kay

Phife Dawg said:
Those are some impressive Layton numbers. It'll be interesting to see if this will spur sales of the original as well.

Pangya and SB only do weak numbers. Definetly expected a bit more from SB, not from Pangya though since the first one wasn't well received in Japan anyway.

Which games have seen a Wii and PS3 release?
Console sales? I never mentioned games, it's much less of a price difference there anyway.

ethelred

DeaconKnowledge said:
So Ethel, do you think something dramatic is going to happen with the PS3 install base, or do you just believe that the people faithful to these PS2 series will follow it anywhere?

Despite the PS3's sales increase over the past few weeks i'm not seeing much incentive for developers to continue on with the PS3 if the install base doesn't improve.

I'm not really seeing a lot of incentive for publishers on either platform right now, honestly. I think both systems are looking pretty troubling from a third party standpoint. As to what will happen with the PS3 userbase, well, I'll be the first to say: I don't know. Anyone who claims the ability to conclusively predict what'll happen in Japan right now is wrong (or lying).

gkrykewy said:
I don't remember you always being such a patronizing dick. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I think you're mistaken to some extent, though I try to limit my snark to those who are really worthy of that level of scorn.

I started to type up a substantive defence of my claim, but then I recalled that I've retired from making serious contributions to these infested threads. And besides, it's a debate that's been hashed out and rehashed and hashed over some more. I'll just say that I'd certainly like to see more announcements like Fragile and fewer like Family Ski, but these troubling sales need to start showing serious signs of reversal if that's ever to be the case.

gkrykewy said:

They're usually pretty close, though sometimes we can see some strange margins of error. Really, though, there's no one "right" tracker. The standard has always been to go with Media Create early and regularly because they provide the early numbers, but Famitsu is a better source for long-term tracking because of the extended weekly and yearly (top 100 and top 500) charts they provide. Once upon a time, we got really got monthly charts from them, too. We just don't get numbers on that order from Media Create.

DeaconKnowledge said:

I'm not really seeing a lot of incentive for publishers on either platform right now, honestly. I think both systems are looking pretty troubling from a third party standpoint. As to what will happen with the PS3 userbase, well, I'll be the first to say: I don't know. Anyone who claims the ability to conclusively predict what'll happen in Japan right now is wrong (or lying).

gkrykewy said:
I don't remember you always being such a patronizing dick. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I think you're mistaken to some extent, though I try to limit my snark to those who are really worthy of that level of scorn. My good buddy K. Sam certainly qualifies!

I started to type up a substantive defence of my claim, but then I recalled that I've retired from making serious contributions to these infested threads. And besides, it's a debate that's been hashed out and rehashed and hashed over some more. I'll just say that I'd certainly like to see more announcements like Fragile and fewer like Family Ski, but these troubling sales need to start showing serious signs of reversal if that's ever to be the case.

gkrykewy said:

They're usually pretty close, though sometimes we can see some strange margins of error. Really, though, there's no one "right" tracker. The standard has always been to go with Media Create early and regularly because they provide the early numbers, but Famitsu is a better source for long-term tracking because of the extended weekly and yearly (top 100 and top 500) charts they provide. Once upon a time, we got really got monthly charts from them, too. We just don't get numbers on that order from Media Create.

Moor-Angol said:
Layton 2 is going to sell more than his predecessor, if in one or two week reaches 600k (as much as Layton 1 sold), the million seller mark would not be too far...

Yes. My theory has always been that million-selling status would not be out of the question for Layton 2. The original Layton established itself with lots and lots of buzz and positive word-of-mouth, as it definitely started fairly small and continued to build itself from there. Long sellers like that, though, can see some of their new sales hampered by used games. Layton 2, on the other hand, was going to be pushed much more heavily from the outset, had established very favorable familiarity with the buying public, and would see a lot more early support. It could really build itself much further and faster than the first.

Mushashi

ksamedi said:
They say its really good, but apparently the first one was never localised.

Sengoku Basara was localized in both NA/EU, sequel has not been released or announced for western release AFAIK.

topscouse

I see nintendo are back on top, explains why the SDF is in full motion. From what i can remember Famitsu was never really used as the main weekly numbers, that does exclude however the last 2 weeks. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cheesemeister said:
Crossing off titles that did nothing for hardware sales. Perhaps you meant Shin Sangoku Musou 5?

I was just illustrating how the latest reincarnation of Tabris is a bit foolish to just name megaton titles while ignoring that the previous ten reincarnations said that last year and ended up being bigtime wrong.

Crusade

Stumpokapow said:
What's your point? Is this you implication of what they were saying last year? VF5 was a bit of a dissapointment, I agree. However nobody was expecting any Western titles to do anything for PS3 in Japan though, and certainly not Folklore. Most of the games that were being listed last year are being listed still unfortunately, due to delays. That's just the reality

Dragon

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I was just illustrating how the latest reincarnation of Tabris is a bit foolish to just name megaton titles while ignoring that the previous ten reincarnations said that last year and ended up being bigtime wrong.

As if any of those games have the power of a FF or GT5. Folklore a megaton title? Please.

Crusade

TheBranca18 said:
As if any of those games have the power of a FF or GT5. Folklore a megaton title? Please.
Come now, who would've expected Lair, Motorstorm or Folklore to sell anything less than a million (or two) in Japan?

Dragon

Banned
Crusade said:
Come now, who would've expected Lair, Motorstorm or Folklore to sell anything less than a million (or two) in Japan?

Me? I can see Folklore appealing to the Japanese, but Lair and Motorstorm? I don't see why they would. One's a great online racer with no two player offline and the other was trashed completely in reviews.

Grampasso

ethelred said:
[...]
Yes. My theory has always been that million-selling status would not be out of the question for Layton 2. The original Layton established itself with lots and lots of buzz and positive word-of-mouth, as it definitely started fairly small and continued to build itself from there. Long sellers like that, though, can see some of their new sales hampered by used games. Layton 2, on the other hand, was going to be pushed much more heavily from the outset, had established very favorable familiarity with the buying public, and would see a lot more early support. It could really build itself much further and faster than the first.
Not to mention the fact that it came out with exact timing. If it shows the type of legs the first one had it could well go over 100k in the weeks around the end of the year. :)

ethelred said:

I generally agree with that. PES last week showed me that there is life in the PS3 for existing franchises, and despite monster sales initially the Wii is stagnating right now in the face of its release schedule.

To be perfectly honest, I think the Portables have thrown a serious monkey wrench in the viability of consoles in Japan. DQ IX is proof that titles with a console heritage can move to handheld systems, however, I can't see developers shying away from consoles directly. These titles have to go SOMEWHERE.

Crusade

TheBranca18 said:
Me? I can see Folklore appealing to the Japanese, but Lair and Motorstorm? I don't see why they would. One's a great online racer with no two player offline and the other was trashed completely in reviews.
I was being purposefully snarky

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheBranca18 said:

MinGol is as big as GT, dude.

Edit: I know you're relatively new. Let's put it this way--every single Media Create thread from last November until around June, at least one person would wander in and yell about the next title that would save the PS3.

Some of them were MGS-level million-or-so seller titles. Some of them were, like MinGol and GT, multimillion sellers. All tanked very badly, declining spectacularly from previous installments.

All of the titles came and went, and none of them did anything for the PS3. Lowering the price is what finally ended up causing a bump. Going on about individual titles as saving the system is not going to change that. The problem is the hardware, not the software.

Raw64life

Crusade said:
Perhaps it's because Naruto just isn't as new and popular anymore?

That. Also, this is the 6th Naruto game on a Nintendo console in as many years, and the Wii games are widely considered to be inferior to the Gamecube ones.

kay

Stumpokapow said:
Except one is a casual game and not "buy an expensive console to play the latest version" game. Guess which one. The game will be in print for a long time, it just needs the system to be cheaper. I don't know why people cluster every game together like that. SingStar is the same way, it's impossible to be successful on an expensive console. To throw an another example on a more popular console, Scene It?

Kyoufu

Crusade said:
Perhaps it's because Naruto just isn't as new and popular anymore?

Its actually because the same team (8ing) is no longer working on this so the fighting engine has suffered. I LOVED the Gamecube games but sadly the new team (TakaraTomy) have completely fucked the Wii games up, its really sad.

Crusade

Stumpokapow said:

Edit: I know you're relatively new. Let's put it this way--every single Media Create thread from last November until around June, at least one person would wander in and yell about the next title that would save the PS3.

Some of them were MGS-level million-or-so seller titles. Some of them were, like MinGol and GT, multimillion sellers. All tanked very badly, declining spectacularly from previous installments.

All of the titles came and went, and none of them did anything for the PS3. Lowering the price is what finally ended up causing a bump. Going on about individual titles as saving the system is not going to change that. The problem is the hardware, not the software.
I have to agree with you, Minna no Golf is a big franchise, but it was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think it's as big as GT in terms of console selling capability either. Not that one game is going to sell the system - but PS3 has a bunch of great games, and is in a much improved system to capitalise on it right now. I don't think GT5 will face the same problems that Minna no Golf did

Hopefully they do some sort of relaunch for MNG5, it should have sold better. Was there a lack of advertising or something?

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
Please make them regular again donny?

Now that you mention it, it probably would be a good idea to make them regular until February or so. My usual position is that they don't change much from week to week so why post them every week, but that doesn't hold during the December to January period.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

cvxfreak said:
I wonder if we really should just start making the new threads when Famitsu comes out and title them "Japanese Sales 11/19 - 11/25". I do think the first posts in each thread should contain Famitsu information as well.

Well, that's my official proposal. It's up to others whether to enforce it or not. I can also start posting the finalized Famitsu top 30 a day earlier than when donny translates it.

:(

I can probably do them on Thursday nights, since I'm usually updating the Media-Create spreadsheet at the same time anyways. The translations are automated now, too, except for any new releases/name changes. Backfilling ten years of Famitsu data prods one to automate as much as possible. :p

I think it'd be good to have the Famitsu numbers included in a standard place, too, but the week behind stuff still seems problematic.

Famitsu Nov 12-18

1. NDS Mario Party DS 114868 / 357063
2. WII Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles 104960 / NEW
3. PS3 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 73437 / 249617
4. NDS Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou 46327 / NEW
5. NDS Famista DS 44664 / NEW
6. WII Super Mario Galaxy 43317 / 378007
7. PS3 Heavenly Sword 15879 / NEW
8. WII Wii Sports 15278 / 2106400
9. WII Wii Play 14619 / 1662342
10. NDS Final Fantasy Tactics A2 14426 / 249048
11. PS2 Soukou Kihei Votoms 12736 / NEW
12. NDS DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series: Deadly Intent 11121 / 123116
13. NDS Mario Kart DS 11056 / 2539027
14. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 10695 / 1052989
15. 360 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 10158 / 36863
16. NDS Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary 9006 / 33779
17. NDS Observation Training 8932 / 658218
18. NDS Literature Collection DS 8816 / 100139
19. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 8744 / 285723
20. PS3 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction 8526 / 19491
21. PS2 Hayari Gami 2 8049 / NEW
22. PSP Dungeon Explorer: Warrior of the Ancient Arts 7793 / NEW
23. PSP Anata o Yurusanai 7502 / NEW
24. WII Ghost Squad 7501 / 37588
25. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 7030 / 1366372
26. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 7020 / 4885705
27. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 5768 / 4436999
28. WII Mario Party 8 5493 / 889584
29. NDS Taiko Drum Master 5326 / 188884
30. NDS Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu 5217 / 126149

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Oct 15-21, 2007
Oct 22-28, 2007
Oct 29-Nov 4, 2007
Nov 5-11, 2007

apotema said:
WTH happened to Naruto, they were the best selling 3rd party games in the GC, and now look at this

Look at Super Mario Galaxy. It appears that a lot of the GameCube userbase hasn't made the switch to the Wii. Why? I'm guessing that the GameCube lost a lot of users between 2004 and 2006, so most Nintendo console owners at the end of last generation had either sold their console or just stopped caring, in Japan. Nintendo needs to take steps to get them back on-board for the Wii. I'm hopeful that Brawl will do that, but that isn't until late January.

loosus

Banned
Thank God Umbrella Chronicles is selling decently. Maybe that'll stave off the main Resident Evil shittiness for a while and increase the chances of more action-based Resident Evil games!

sp0rsk said:
There's no holiday bump going on people. There is no holiday to bump it. There could be a few factors, last week included pay day, DQ4, incoming Wii fit\Basara 2, and so on. People aren't shopping for Christmas here, lol.

Early Easter?

Top Bottom