• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

First day sales

NDS Layton Kyouju to Akuma no Hako - 200,000 (700k shipment)
PS2 SD Gundam G Generation Spirits - 160,000
PS2 Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes - 60,000
NDS Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters: World Championship 2008 - 25,000
360 Assassin's Creed - 20,000
WII Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX2 - 15,000
WII Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Double Pack) - 7,000
PSP Makai Senki Disgaea Portable: - 7,000 (high sell through)
360 Guilty Gear 2 Overture - 4,000
WII Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot! - 3,000
PS2 Zero no Tsukaima: Muma ga Tsumugu Yokaze no Gensoukyoku - 3,000 (60% sell through)
PS2 Another Century Episode 2 (Special Vocal Version) - 3,000
NDS IQ Suppli DS 2 - 2,000 (very low sell through)
PS3 Tony Hawk - 1,500
360 Tony Hawk - 1,000
NDS Simple Series Vol23: Puzzle Quest - 600

cvxfreak

Cheesemeister said:
rolleyes.gif

Are people really that bent out of shape over Famitsu numbers? Should we also do Dengeki numbers? I can get the program to work with either of these as well if need be, using the same translation lookup table for the game titles. I'd say it's up to the mods, though.

There would be no need for a Famitsu parser because the magazine is out prior to the website update (by nearly 2 days in fact).

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
holy fuck layton

Good show Level 5

Yow. They've really built up a mega-successful franchise here. That's a huge opening.

Magicpaint said:
Wow, Level-5 must have been feeling mighty confident with those shipment numbers.

And I bet it's going to sell almost that entire shipment, too.

Also:

PS2 Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes - 60,000

Hahaha. Double hahaha at a western 360 game outselling all three new Wii titles.

Nolan.

Rough translation if it's any good.

The first on the list of the second group is "Civil wars BASARA2 hero
anecdote. "
The PS2 edition is : of about 60,000 and the Wii version by about 7000.

It is a so-so pickup if it thinks it to be no complete new work.
About 25,000 DS "King joke of ..play.. ** world championship 2008"
continues, and hereafter, Xbox360 "Asashincred" continues and about 20,
000 and Wii "Information on the NARUTO gale" continues with about 15,0
Only the sales number is about 7000 in PSP of the cheap edition "
Field record of a war Disgaia PORTABLE" and the shop sold out on the
morning of digestive rate high, the reservation, and the first day of
the sale is also abundant.
Amazon has already become out of stock, and was changeable to single
goods with the privilege.
Moreover, a digestive rate seemed to have reached 60 percent near,
and had been unexpectedly thick support from a fixed fan though was
about 3000 in PS2 "Fantasia limited edition of the night wind that
use incubus of 0 spun" the sales number.

ksamedi

Whatever that Sengoku Basara game is (never played it) its yet another sign that a lot of PS2 owners haven't switched over to the Wii yet.

ethelred said:
Hahaha. Double hahaha at a western 360 game outselling all three new Wii titles.
Yep, the Wii sales numbers are quite sad. :(

ethelred said:
And I bet it's going to sell almost that entire shipment, too.
Definitely. A 400k first week number is possible.

Now with DQIV and Layton pushing great numbers, I'm worried about To for next weekI. I hope it's not a complete bomb. :(

Nolan.

ksamedi said:
Whatever that Sengoku Basara game is (never played it) its yet another sign that a lot of PS2 owners haven't switched over to the Wii yet.

Why would they have switched over to the wii to begin with.

kay

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales
360 Assassin's Creed - 20,000
360 Guilty Gear 2 Overture - 4,000
What I find disappointing, in order.
PS2/Wii games are really heavily skewed in favor of PS2, much more so than PS2/PS3. I thought AC would do better coming out first as 360 owners tend to buy exclusive releases more, especially in Japan. Plus, it's a high budget western game that isn't a FPS. Guess we'll have to wait to see how PS3 owners react to the game.
Guilty Gear is just showing that the game should be a fighter..

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Yep, the Wii sales numbers are quite sad. :(

I think it's laughable more than sad, but hey!

Magicpaint said:
Definitely. A 400k first week number is possible.

Now with DQIV and Layton pushing great numbers, I'm worried about To for next weekI. I hope it's not a complete bomb. :(

Actually, I'm going to go with higher than 400k for the opening week's numbers. I think L5's shown the ability to move serious units here. As to ToI... I am concerned about it, too -- not specifically because of DQIV and Layton (and FFIV shortly after). I've been concerned all along, just because I'm not sure how fully Namco would be pushing it or what the ramifications of the Tempest aftertaste might be. Hopefully it does well.

ksamedi said:

And they're not going to.

kay

Jonnyram said:
But AC isn't exclusive.
Yeah I edited it, I meant released before the other version

I suspect Oblivion did more on the 360 sales because of that, it may just be that a lot of people have both systems.

It's VERY strange that day and date releases are much better on PS3 but usually the 360 has a better attach if the game is released first on the system. Might have to wait for Trusty Bell to come out to see if what I am saying holds any truth.

Edit: or it justs adds to the notion that nobody wants "seconds"

ksamedi

Nolan. said:
Except the wii isn't the only new thing to buy.

Hence why I made the conlusion that a lot of PS2 owners didn't buy the Wii. You can't just make things up, we have lots of evidence now.

Ouch for Guilty Gear 2.

Am I the only one that thinks that 20,000 for AC isn't bad? It's a Western game thats only a timed exclusive...And still sold 20k first day.

Nolan.

ksamedi said:
Hence why I made the conlusion that a lot of PS2 owners didn't buy the Wii. You can't just make things up, we have lots of evidence now.

Ah, I could say from that ''evidence'' that a lot of ps2 owners haven't bought a ps3!.

Edit: By the way your evidence really doesn't say what you think its saying mr.

ethelred

ksamedi said:
PS3 has some nice support, but I think there are a lot of unannounced projects in the making for the Wii.

True. I imagine there are some really neat party games on the way. Have fun with those.

ksamedi

Nolan. said:
Ah, I could say from that ''evidence'' that a lot of ps2 owners haven't bought a ps3!.

Well, I could say that not a lot of anything has bought a PS3.

True. I imagine there are some really neat party games on the way.

I highly doubt that 2008 will be the year of Party games. Final Fantasy, Monster hunter, Fragile, King Story, Smash, and other stuff could attract a more harcore audiance no? It would build up a lot of momentum for the system.

Have fun with those

I have a PS3 as well, so I don't really know what you mean with that. My only Wii party game is WarioWare if you could call that a party game.

I don't know how much more one would expect AC (a western game) to sell on a system with such a tiny userbase. Those numbers are pretty good.

ethelred said:
I think it's laughable more than sad, but hey!
I guess partly laughable, since it really is considering the volume of hardware the Wii has sold, but when you consider that nothing else sells well on consoles besides the PS2, then the whole situation is quite sad.

ethelred said:
Actually, I'm going to go with higher than 400k for the opening week's numbers. I think L5's shown the ability to move serious units here. As to ToI... I am concerned about it, too -- not specifically because of DQIV and Layton (and FFIV shortly after). I've been concerned all along, just because I'm not sure how fully Namco would be pushing it or what the ramifications of the Tempest aftertaste might be. Hopefully it does well.
Yeah, the first Layton was a slow burner, so higher than 400k is definitely possible. I guess why I predicted nothing more than 400k was because unlike the first, this is a sequel riding off of the first's success, so I expect it to be a bit more frontloaded, but you never know.

As for ToI yeah, pretty much; game-wise, they've pushed all the right buttons as far as I'm concerned, but like you, I just don't know how well they're pushing it and communicating with the DS fanbase that it's not a Tempest-redux.

ethelred said:
Yeah, for the PS3, I agree.
I think most of them are just sitting there, content with their PS2... but yeah, the PS3 imo is showing better signs than the Wii.

Nolan.

ksamedi said:
Well, I could say that not a lot of anything has bought a PS3.

And I could say that those same ''not a lot'' has bought about as much if not more 3rd party software as those many on wii. Your argument is that the ps2 owners are obviously waiting to switch to the wii. I don't see how their terrible software sales given their base shows that, really how so.

TunaLover

The same thing happened with GG Accent Core, PS2 had the big portion of the sales. Maybe Capcom take advice of it and release the game in NA to level up the sales.

ksamedi

Nolan. said:
And I could say that those same ''not a lot'' has bought about as much if not more 3rd party software as those many on wii. Your argument is that the ps2 owners are obviously waiting to switch to the wii. I don't see how their terrible software sales given their base shows that, really how so.

No its not, I just said they haven't switched yet, meaning that the Wii hasn't got there attention yet. It may happen in the future or it may not.

cvxfreak

Sengoku Basara 2 Eiyuu Gaiden Heroes is an expansion pack to the original Sengoku Basara 2. In fact, the Wii version includes a second disc containing the original Basara 2. Of course it's going to sell much less than the PS2 version, which caters to the hundreds of thousands that bought the first version, on the same system that had the highly popular same-genre games from Koei.

That doesn't quite explain low sales of something like Naruto, which was far more popular on GameCube. Or the fact Biohazard 4 Wii Edition was so highly accepted in comparison, but still.
It's more than Zack and Wiki, right?

Nolan.

ksamedi said:
No its not, I just said they haven't switched yet, meaning that the Wii hasn't got there attention yet. It may happen in the future or it may not.

And thats why their software suffer you think.?

ksamedi

Nolan. said:
And thats why their software suffer you think.?

I don't know about the suffering software, I have seen some numbers from Joshua that show that the Wii numbers are not bad at all. I would rather trust those.

The Sphinx said:
I think DS can pass PS2 worldwide- I'm more confident of that after seeing early holiday 2007 numbers in NA. It will take several more years though, and if anything prevents DS from becoming the all-time #1 the most likely culprit would be Nintendo pulling the plug early.
Yeah. If DS had instead been further models of GBA with success like it's had (an impossible scenario including many duplicate sales, but as close as I can figure at the moment to looking at a very strong 6.5 year DS), GBADS shipments would be at 134.12 million as of September 30, 2007.
Kenka said:
Holy sh- Japanese gamers rather play their games on PS2 than Wii. Why don't they switch ?
Is there a reason to? Sp0rsk's impression said there was no change in the controls, and he wasn't even sure it was 480p.
ethelred said:
True. I imagine there are some really neat party games on the way. Have fun with those.
I'm looking forward to Fragile Party, and new dance game Venus & Raves.

cvxfreak

Magicpaint said:
That in particular is puzzling.

Franchises do decline. Sometimes you can attribute it to the game's console (Biohazard series after 3), while other times it's just a natural development (like the declining sales of mainline Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games) over time. And other times, it's crash and burn almost immediately (Tamagotchi, Mushiking).

And franchises rise, as we've seen with Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing. Others maintain a level of consistency, such as Dragon Quest and evidently Winning Eleven, while others fluctuate based on circumstances (Mario Party).

Nolan.

ksamedi said:
I don't know about the suffering software, I have seen some numbers from Joshua that show that the Wii numbers are not bad at all. I would rather trust those.

So who from the ps2's base do you think hasn't switched then that would help software sales.?

justjohn said:
any reason why AC ps3 version was delayed? did ms pay for timed exclusivity in japan?

Now that would certainly be money wasted.

kay

Magicpaint said:
I don't know how much more one would expect AC (a western game) to sell on a system with such a tiny userbase. Those numbers are pretty good.
I'm just looking at what they were buying previously but it's not even that disappointing and the final week sales aren't up. I may have expected too much from previous sales of other titles.. and the sales of the game in other regions.

I think most of them are just sitting there, content with their PS2...

Well, you can also play the game on PS3 so they could have lost sales to PS3 owners. I don't have a PS2 right now and I still buy PS2 games. It's more convenient playing it with infinite memory cards, wireless controller, upscaling...then just a game slightly modified to work with Wii controls and not enough of a graphical upgrade. So that could also be the reason to buy the PS2 version instead.

justjohn said:
any reason why AC ps3 version was delayed? did ms pay for timed exclusivity in japan?
Probably came down to the line with coding with that version, PS3 games take longer to just produce also. I hope they fix the issues at least with the extra time but I doubt it, they may just not release it.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
kay said:
What I find disappointing, in order.
PS2/Wii games are really heavily skewed in favor of PS2, much more so than PS2/PS3.

Someone should really ask the higher-ups at Nintendo about this, although I know that they never will, and even if they do, the answer will consist of a barrage of jedi mind tricks.

ksamedi

Nolan. said:
So who from the ps2's base do you think hasn't switched then that would help software sales.?

Now that would certainly be money wasted.

A certain niche group which I don't have a definition for.

ethelred said:
Yeah, for the PS3, I agree.

So Ethel, do you think something dramatic is going to happen with the PS3 install base, or do you just believe that the people faithful to these PS2 series will follow it anywhere?

Despite the PS3's sales increase over the past few weeks i'm not seeing much incentive for developers to continue on with the PS3 if the install base doesn't improve.

*Guaraná

Banned
i remember Mario and Sonic not beeing too hot at the first day, but in the end of the week the game did a nice job seeling over 60k. So let's just wait before jumping in conclusions.

Top Bottom