• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

AniHawk

john tv said:
Really? It's already about to pass it in Japan, is the gap outside Japan still that huge?

It's pretty enormous in the States, where DS had a very late start. The PS2 is over 40m here and the DS is still around 15m, IIRC. The DS is making up for lost time though.

ethelred

john tv said:
Really? It's already about to pass it in Japan, is the gap outside Japan still that huge?

It's really, really far behind it in the US, and I'd be surprised if it caught up. It was hamstrung by its first few years of mediocre performance. But stranger things have, quite obviously, happened. I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up ahead, but it's not my expectation.

AniHawk

ethelred said:
It's really, really far behind it in the US, and I'd be surprised if it caught up. It was hamstrung by its first few years of mediocre performance. But stranger things have, quite obviously, happened. I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up ahead, but it's not my expectation.

What's the DS's lifetime target for March, 80m? And the PS2 would be at 130m, correct?

Evlar

Banned
I think DS can pass PS2 worldwide- I'm more confident of that after seeing early holiday 2007 numbers in NA. It will take several more years though, and if anything prevents DS from becoming the all-time #1 the most likely culprit would be Nintendo pulling the plug early.

D.Lo

AniHawk said:
What's the DS target for March, 80m? And the PS2 would be at 130m, correct?
DS is projected 68.29 million by next March, but as usual Nintendo will probabaly beat that by a couple of million.

PS2 we have no idea, because Sony haven't released shipment totals since they changed tracking method. On their old 'shipped to warehouse' method they had PS2 shipped 25-30% above what we had rerecorded as Sold in Japan and North America, so that was never particularly useful.

But If DS does it, it will be on the back of Europe and Japan, because the PS2 is still selling so well in NA. It all rests on how long the DS lasts - if it's around for seven years, it's a dead cert to take the crown.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
perfectchaos007 said:
So Famitsu has PS3 > Wii in sales this week. And MC has Wii > PS3 sales. When this happens I just think that they are about even at this time.

usually when they're as close as that, i consider them as selling "the same" anyway. most of it is projections, after all. They're not fact, and there is bound to be errors.

AniHawk

For a little bit of US anecdotal evidence, PS3s are selling remarkably better than I'd expected. We've sold around 14 PS3s within a week and that's doing just about as well as Microsoft. Their most popular SKUs are the Pro packs, obviously, followed by the Arcade units. Elites are next, and Halo 360s continue to sit there at their shitty $400 pricepoint because everyone hates it so damn much.

The Wii continues to sell out and for the month of November, we'll have sold the most Wiis this store has ever received in a single month (51 -- the previous record was 45 for the launch month).

On the handheld side, PSP continues to sell despite a lack of enthusiasm for software. The Daxter bundle is more popular than the Star Wars one, but Sony hasn't been shipping those. Also, there's one lone old PSP model for $170, and Sony hasn't been shipping the new Cores. As a result, some people are turned off by the $200 pricepoint. We've probably sold 20-30 DS Lites in the last week and we're replenished regularly.

For software, Super Mario Galaxy has been a big seller, but Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 have been huge on the 360. Mario and Sonic and surprisingly, RE4: Wii Edition have been moderately good sellers for the Wii. Rock Band for both PS3 and 360 are popular choices, and all versions of Guitar Hero III have sold well too (except the PS2 bundle version).

And Kane & Lynch, which is a fantastic game and recommend you to all buy, has been selling like crazy, because it's so incredibly good. So I urge you to rush out and buy two or three copies (for yourself and loved ones) before they're all gone.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AniHawk said:
For a little bit of US anecdotal evidence, PS3s are selling remarkably better than I'd expected. We've sold around 14 PS3s within a week and that's doing just about as well as Microsoft. Their most popular SKUs are the Pro packs, obviously, followed by the Arcade units. Elites are next, and Halo 360s continue to sit there at their shitty $400 pricepoint because everyone hates it so damn much.

The Wii continues to sell out and for the month of November, we'll have sold the most Wiis this store has ever received in a single month (51 -- the previous record was 45 for the launch month).

On the handheld side, PSP continues to sell despite a lack of enthusiasm for software. The Daxter bundle is more popular than the Star Wars one, but Sony hasn't been shipping those. Also, there's one lone old PSP model for $170, and Sony hasn't been shipping the new Cores. As a result, some people are turned off by the $200 pricepoint. We've probably sold 20-30 DS Lites in the last week and we're replenished regularly.

For software, Super Mario Galaxy has been a big seller, but Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 have been huge on the 360. Mario and Sonic and surprisingly, RE4: Wii Edition have been moderately good sellers for the Wii. Rock Band for both PS3 and 360 are popular choices, and all versions of Guitar Hero III sell well too (except the PS2 bundle version).

And Kane & Lynch, which is a fantastic game and recommend you to all buy, has been selling like crazy, because it's so incredibly good. So I urge you to rush out and buy two or three copies (for yourself and loved ones) before they're all gone.

I'll come back tomorrow with reservation numbers if anyone wants them. Just let me know what you want to see outside of the big name games.

Love the typical Ani sarcasm injected into a rather good anecdotal post.

RBH

AniHawk said:

I love how this was snuck in near the end. :lol

Evlar

Banned
AniHawk said:

For software, Super Mario Galaxy has been a big seller, but Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 have been huge on the 360. Mario and Sonic and surprisingly, RE4: Wii Edition have been moderately good sellers for the Wii. Rock Band for both PS3 and 360 are popular choices, and all versions of Guitar Hero III have sold well too (except the PS2 bundle version).

Et tu, Ani?

Lobster

Banned
Vinnk said:
2.There is not a single copy of B:UC left in my town. Every copy, new or used has been sold.

So Capcom did not make enough copies..or they shipped again and it all sold.

Im going towards Capcom did not make enough copies and therefore does not have anything to ship.

sphinx

the piano man
Vinnk said:
2.There is not a single copy of B:UC left in my town. Every copy, new or used has been sold.

If things are similar in the rest of Japan, these are EXCELLENT news.

with RE:UC and RE4:Wii edition both doing well, the possibilities for Resident evil stuff on the wii are endless.

RE 2,3,CV:X wiimakes.

RE5 spin-off

RE6? @_@

AniHawk said:
Ani found Gerstmann's head at the foot of his bed this morning.

Bebpo said:
Since you were replying about the US, I'll just bring in that last time I checked, new release PSP games were $29.99 (Silent Hill Origins, Castlevania Drac X), which is the same price as DS games (some PSP games are higher, some DS games are higher). So I don't think price of the games has anything to do with PSP software sales, unless gamers expect them to cost less than the DS games because they are on the losing system?
Pickwick is from Europe (like me) if I remember correctly. PSP games are usually 40 € around here, almost as much as a Wii game. Now DS software can also break that barrier (though most are around 30-35 €) which I think is too much as well, but being the No. 1 system they can get away with it. People here are suckers for cheap software. DS has such a huge library that you can already find discounted games (fair pay, greatest hits, or whatever they are called depending on the publisher) in great numbers. This really hurts the PSP, esp. regarding shelf space at discounters.

spwolf said:
how can it not matter when it is an fitness product and not really an game?

I dont think 3rd party will care about Wii Fit too much - they probably want games like SMG to sell systems and not fitness devices.
How is it not a game? It has exercises plus games (snowboarding, skiing, ski jumping etc.). I do agree though that third parties are definetly thinking about how to appeal to the casual crowd. But otoh I don't think they'll be eyeing SMG, not a lot of plattformers get made these days anyway. And if you want to compete with one of the best ever you should bring a big licence (animated movie whatnot) with you.

favouriteflavour said:
If the PS3 can stay within 10k units per week for the rest of the year then I think it will have a very good chance of being japans number one console in a few years. I didnt think the price cut would make the difference it had especially since the old 20 was more or less the same price.
60G at launch=60k Yen
20G at launch=50k Yen
40G at launch=40k Yen

If you consider $90 to be more or less the same price, then you are indeed correct.

sphinx

the piano man
ShmarthurShmooner said:
december 13th, gt5 prologue. i really hope ps3 sales don't drop too dramatically until that day, then carry momentum into the holidays.

My guess is that PS3 will be safe until after the big shopping week in Japan that is sometime in January.

The problem is that the stuff that is making the console stay afloat has a rather limited effect on the bigger scope of things. After a price drop, people also demand more software and at the end the effect of said things last no longer than 3 or 4 weeks.

I hate to say it but the PS3 needs some kind of Wii sports, some piece of software that people buy the console for on a regular basis.

Frillen said:
DSL 116,694
PSP 75,027
Wii 54,362
PS3 50,564
PS2 14,875
Xbox360 7,117
GC 44
GBM 42
GBASP 31
GBA 9

Uh oh... Nighy night...

Why there is a so big difference with Famitsu's numbers ? Anyway, these PSP numbers at least make slighty more sense then a 89k.

AniHawk

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Why there is a so big difference with Famitsu's numbers ? Anyway, these PSP numbers at least make slighty more sense then a 89k.
Famitsu's method of tracking isn't as precise as MC's. MC counts more stores and estimates for less. At least, that's what I've always understood, and why MC is generally counted as being the best choice for numbers more often than not.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:

Doesnt the DS have some new bundles? How have those been doing?

AniHawk

HK-47 said:
Doesnt the DS have some new bundles? How have those been doing?

Sold 4/4 of the Nintendogs bundle. Sold 5/8 of the Zelda bundles. I'm thinking I should pick the Zelda one up... just in case my current DS up and dies on me. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Vinnk said:
Sorry guys,

Super busy with work, so my report will have to go up tomorrow. But here's a preview:

1. There are plenty of copies of W11 for PS3.

3. I talk to some people both about Mario Galaxy sales and piracy on the PSP. Interesting stuff.

This last point interests me a lot.

AniHawk said:

I think that the US thread of anecdotale evidence should be done for every month (november edition, december edition, ...).
Very interesting overall.

Dragon Quest IV could be a sweet medieval take on Trauma Center. You could treat dragon wounds, sew the black knight back together, pluck ingrown hairs out long forgotten under chastity belts. Limitless possibilities.

Until Roman Numerals came and messed up my sweet idea.

ZeoVGM

Banned
AniHawk said:
For a little bit of US anecdotal evidence, PS3s are selling remarkably better than I'd expected.

Well we already found out that 360 outsold PS3 2:1 last week.

Though maybe that is remarkably better than you expected. Heh.

:lol :lol :lol

AniHawk

The Sphinx said:
Ani- How has Revenant Wings performed?

...I'm not sure, actually. We did get quite a few in (we got a ton of Fire Emblems too). I'll check and estimate what we'd've sold by now since I think we're still on the first shipment.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Crusade said:
Thought so. You could at least try to not be a mediocre poster

You could at least try to not be a little fanboy.

Black Friday week sales: DS > Wii > 360 > PS3.

DS did amazing. Wii also did great. 360 did a little less. It outsold PS3 2:1 and sold more software than Wii and PS3 combined.

Don't throw out that fanboyish SO THEY SAY!!!!!! bullshit unless you can post something that goes AGAINST it.

DefectiveReject said:
Juniors really live up to their reputation in sales threads!

What Juniors never fail to show is how they are naive.

Notorious_Roy said:
The PSP is huge, but its games aren't right? What is the number of games per PSP in Japan? And for DS?

Go to the first post.

Anyway, PSP has 3 games in the top 50 and 0 games in the top 30.

Crusade

omg rite said:
You could at least try to not be a little fanboy.

Black Friday week sales: DS > Wii > 360 > PS3.

DS did amazing. Wii also did great. 360 did a little less. It outsold PS3 2:1 and sold more software than Wii and PS3 combined.

Don't throw out that fanboyish SO THEY SAY!!!!!! bullshit unless you can post something that goes AGAINST it.
There are no NPD statistics out. Only claims by each individual company - and Sony have disputed MS's claim that it outsold it 2:1. It's Sony's word versus MS's word - that's why I've said what I did, perhaps you should do a little fact checking before calling me a fanboy without understanding my reasoning.

In any case I think you'd be best waiting for NPD numbers first if you want to go throwing those numbers around as facts.

Juniors really live up to their reputation in sales threads!

And you continue to live up to the useless, antagonistic posts I've noticed consist of a good deal of your post history. If you're not going to contribute anything but a "lolol junior", you might as well not post at all

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
What Juniors never fail to show is how they are naive.

Go to the first post.

Anyway, PSP has 3 games in the top 50 and 0 games in the top 30.
Yes, I can see that, thank you. But the total number of PSP games per PSP sold, that's what I want to know :)

Crusade said:
There are no NPD statistics out. Only claims by each individual company - and Sony have disputed MS's claim that it outsold it 2:1. It's Sony's word versus MS's word - that's why I've said what I did, perhaps you should do a little fact checking before calling me a fanboy without understanding my reasoning.

In any case I think you'd be best waiting for NPD numbers first if you want to go throwing those numbers around as facts.

And you continue to live up to the useless, antagonistic posts I've noticed consist of a good deal of your post history. If you're not going to contribute anything but a "lolol junior", you might as well not post at all
I don't think Nintendo nor MS make claims, you really are foolish

You think Nintendo and MS will spout numbers, only to be shown up in 2 weeks time................. go back to bed.

The majority of my posts are antagonistic??????? HA HA AHA

Crusade

omg rite said:
Shocking.

So, where's Sony's press release about how good sales were?
Are you really going to drive the argument like this? I'm not biting, sorry.

I dunno how well it sold, or if PS3's sales were even great in the first place during that period. I just know that there was a dispute over your claim that the difference was 2:1 and gave you a wise little suggestion to not jump to conclusions instead of waiting for NPDs ;)

Crusade

DefectiveReject said:
I don't think Nintendo nor MS make claims, you really are foolish

You think Nintendo and MS will spout numbers, only to be shown up in 2 weeks time................. go back to bed.

The majority of my posts are antagonistic??????? HA HA AHA
You're arguing against a point I never made. Perhaps you should sit down and re-read, and re-think what you're talking about. I issued the dispute over MS's claims about Sony's sales. And I think Sony would have a bit more of an idea what is going on with Sony sales than MS.

Your posts have all been antagonistic towards me. I haven't said one negative thing yet, but there's plenty I could say

Crusade said:
You're arguing against a point I never made. Perhaps you should sit down and re-read, and re-think what you're talking about. I issued the dispute over MS's claims about Sony's sales. And I think Sony would have a bit more of an idea what is going on with Sony sales than MS.

Your posts have all been antagonistic towards me. I haven't said one negative thing yet, but there's plenty I could say

You think MS don't know what Sony are selling? they have a hell of a lot more indication than you or me, otherwise again they would look like chumps when figures are released!

Crusade

DefectiveReject said:
You think MS don't know what Sony are selling? they have a hell of a lot more indication than you or me, otherwise again they would look like chumps when figures are released!
You can apply the same logic to Sony's dispute of their numbers, and you're naive if you think Sony is any less aware of their own numbers

Either way, one is going to end up looking like a chump. Take my original suggestion and WAIT FOR NPDs.

You've seemed to look over the whole point I was making in order to make this a fanboy debate. You live up to your tag

Notorious_Roy said:
Yes, I can see that, thank you. But the total number of PSP games per PSP sold, that's what I want to know :)
Use Moor-Angol's site here (Famitsu). You have to do the calculating yourself though. There's also Dalthien's thread somewhere.

Top Bottom