• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Ryse Review

c3t

Banned
Who runs 3News?
154316-bigthumbnail.jpg

I was waiting for this.

It's going to score better than Knack and be heralded for it's "deep and engaging combat". I know I shouldn't make the comparison, but knocking one for a lack of combat depth and praising another is sickening.

Knack doesn't suck just because of its combat. The level design is incredibly boring, limited, and repetitious.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No! Don't you see? We have to make up ways to discredit him because we WANT Ryse to be a bad game!
I think we should just wait for the embargo to be up. It doesn't matter if its good or bad. Just let reviewers weigh in.

No! Don't you see? We have to make up ways to discredit him because we WANT Ryse to be a bad game!
Just because someone has an opinion on something doesn't mean people have to accept it as a valid or reasonable one. I don't know anything about that poster but if he has obvious bias towards something I wouldn't trust him when talking about the subject.

Gurrry

Does anyone have any word on what the multiplayer is like? Im hoping its some sort of loot based PVP styled stuff.

Any idea on what it is?!

Acheteedo

Never heard of em. Would be funny if the game turned out to be decent but I suspect this is an outlier... if they have indeed even played it.

Drek

Or maybe, just maybe Ryse is a good game and better than Knack?
All previous media shown on the game makes this seem highly dubious, and from a technical standpoint patently false. But then it's vidya game journalism so games actually running correctly isn't something that they should be judged on. Let consumers find out software is janky crap after they've bought it from stores that don't allow returns, that's how you service your readers.

The butt hurt intl this post is astounding. What does one game being bloody and another one being family friendly have to do with anything?
In a review thread where a big chunk of the secondary game "journalist" industry biases their scores towards mature titles? Quite a bit.

Plenty of family friendly games get good reviews. Maybe Knack is just a shitty game?
Mostly Nintendo games, which are well deserved. But the industry as a whole is willing to swallow shallow blood geyser simulators with gusto far more than a more toned down title.

Much like a name developer/publisher or getting pre-release hype is basically "free points" for many games.

c3t

Banned
I think we should just wait for the embargo to be up. It doesn't matter if its good or bad. Just let reviewers weigh in.

I personally don't care what reviewers say. If anything, I just want to see moar footage. I think what matters is as long as you have fun, the game did its job. Killzone reviewed like crap, yet people are having fun when playing it. Lococycle reviewed like horse crap, but I'm willing to bet there will be people who enjoy it. If a person has fun with the game, then it did its job.

I think it's funny that people here hold so much weight in review scores. What makes a gaming journalist more qualified to give their opinion on software than a fellow gaffer? The only difference is that they have early access and get paid to write about this kind of stuff; I'd personally much rather trust the impressions of a fellow member here.

RetroStu

Banned
Yeah had a feeling this would get pretty good reviews. Crytec don't make amazing games anymore but their games are always atleast decent.

Dunlop

No, people want it to be acknowledged as terrible because it is most likely in fact terrible.

Have you played it?

Why are you bringing Knack into this? They are completely different genres of games, with game engines that are doing completely different things

daveo42

Banned
Or maybe, just maybe Ryse is a good game and better than Knack? The butt hurt intl this post is astounding. What does one game being bloody and another one being family friendly have to do with anything? Plenty of family friendly games get good reviews. Maybe Knack is just a shitty game?

Knack has it's flaws, I can agree with that. I think the main point I'd want to point out is that there should be a glaring disparity if one game is criticized heavily for not having deep combat while the other is praised while still having a pretty shallow combat system. Knack's combat isn't overly deep (total of 4 if you include special maneuvers and the right stick to dodge) and, but it's based on timing and recognizing enemy patterns. Ryse's combat is based on timing your button presses (there's only two btw plus dodge) and Kinect voice commands to maximize your combo with QTEs.

Based on what I've played of Knack and what I've seen and heard about Ryse, they both offer a basic combat system with no real increase in complexity or depth down the line, which is completely fine in my book. Making a solid combat system that works all the way through the game is great. The issue comes in when you say that one lacks depth for only using a few buttons and the other gets high marks for being "focused" and engaging. They are both simple combat systems and should be looked at as such on the merits of combat, not whether one is more for kids or adults.

I'll wait for reviews to see if this becomes the case or not though.

Theecliff

Banned
I don't think so. There's no way they would cap the launch with a shitty AAA exclusive review fest. They would have lifted the embargo for Forza after Ryse if that were the case. Or at least placed them on the same day.

In any case, not too long until we find out. I'm expecting good news for Ryse.
If a publisher (or similarly, a film studio with films) pushes back the embargo of a product until very close to/ on launch day, it suggests that they're not very confident that it will review well (this doesn't always turn out to be the case, mind). It's so that if there's any negativity surrounding the product it will already be too late for a lot of day one buyers of the product to change their mind and to let marketing drown out the possibly negative reception.

Having an embargo lifted early a lot of the time suggests that a publisher is confident the game will be received well, and as such people who weren't sure/ interested in purchasing have a better reason to do so.

What's strange about this is that Microsoft embargoed Forza a bit later too, for some reason. I would have thought that might end up being one of the best received next gen games to come out of either console's launch.

Edit: Ah, just seen the Forza reviews now. Embargo must have lifted today!

RetroStu

Banned
Actually, that's KILLZONE: Shadow Fall

Not a chance and the reviews will say the same i think. Killzone still looks mighty impressive and i thought both games were the 2 games that really showed off next gen but after watching a full playthrough of Killzone, most of the levels don't match up to that mighty city flyby. Ryse simply looks better.

daveo42

Banned
Resogun is currently leading the MetaCritic race on 83, edging out Forza on 82.

Oops...my bad on that. I was thinking highest rated on the Xbox, not on either console. I suspect that Resogun may continue to hold that title. Housemarque makes some damn good games.

Knack doesn't suck just because of its combat. The level design is incredibly boring, limited, and repetitious.

I'm comparing combat to combat, not level design. No where have I mentioned level design in my comments regarding Knack and Ryse.

Drek

I think it's funny that people here hold so much weight in review scores. What makes a gaming journalist more qualified to give their opinion on software than a fellow gaffer? The only difference is that they have early access and get paid to write about this kind of stuff; I'd personally much rather trust the impressions of a fellow member here.

I wouldn't imagine most forum goers give reviews much credence. The problem people have with review scores though is that they do directly impact game sales, and by proxy the chances for similar titles/sequels.

This is why we live in a world of Call of Duty now. Reviews generally shat themselves with glee over the first few, especially the first Modern Warfare, gave the franchise over-inflated scores for several more iterations going forward as basically a legacy title, and as a result it has sold incredibly well, done better on metacritic than it should have, and the industry as a whole looked for ways to ape it.

Same with Madden a few generations ago. It continually got over inflated scores due to popularity and EA's PR muscle, resulting in a self perpetuating cycle and sales dominance. Madden 2005 has a Metacritic of 91. NFL 2k5 has a Metacritic of 90. Any sane person who actually likes football games and has played both can see a MASSIVE gulf between the two games in pretty much every possible way, and one cost less than half the price of the other. Yet on average reviewers recommended Madden to their readers over 2k5. End result was that Madden still out-sold 2k5 and EA then struck a deal with the NFL to make sure they never had to worry about competition again, which the NFL was all for since Madden was the football game. If Madden had instead gotten the low to high 70's the franchise deserved sales might have been much more equal and the NFL would have had real concerns about cutting one of the two titles out of the market.

Reviews don't matter for hardcore gamers on a per game basis, but they do direct the industry down specific roads. Shoddy game review practices by journalists inherently weakens the industry. They're the last gateway of quality control for an industry that half-asses it's internal QA/QC pretty regularly.

Drek

Have you played it?

Why are you bringing Knack into this? They are completely different genres of games, with game engines that are doing completely different things

So? If a person can't compare games across genres they shouldn't be reviewing games.

Also, I'd say Knack is a pretty solid comparison in terms of gameplay depth. Ryse stakes it's claim on presentation while Knack is longer and far more technically polished. I know which side of that argument I'd prefer to see the gaming press take a stand in favor of, but I also know that the games industry generally breaks the exact opposite way on that.

I don't think Polygon necessarily rate Microsoft games much higher, just Sony first party stuff lower. I expect Ryse to get a low rating from even Polygon. If it doesn't, I'll be pretty surprised.

Why do you constantly post the same nonsense about Polygon in every thread despite people pointing out that they rate Sony exclusives higher than MS exclusives?
If you wanna see with your own eyes if they're biased or not all you have to do is go to their review section and compare reviews. Here's a handy link for you:
http://www.polygon.com/games/reviewed

Not a chance and the reviews will say the same i thing. Killzone still looks mighty impressive and i thought both games were the 2 games that really showed off next gen but after watching a full playthrough of Killzone, most of the levels don't match up to that mighty city flyby. Ryse simply looks better.

No... gonna have to agree with Bundy on this one. Killzone seems a far more impressive game from a technical standpoint (Textures, resolution, framerate, etc). If nothing else it is at least graphically consistent, whereas in everything I've seen thus far with regard to Ryse, while the player character and some of the areas look very nice, most of the enemy NPCs look like total ass in comparison. Very visually jarring imo.

Regardless, it's probably pointless to compare two games with such wildly varying visual styles, I can only speak to which one has proven the most consistently impressive title to look at in my view since it's announcement.

Not a chance and the reviews will say the same i think. Killzone still looks mighty impressive and i thought both games were the 2 games that really showed off next gen but after watching a full playthrough of Killzone, most of the levels don't match up to that mighty city flyby. Ryse simply looks better.

I think Killzone has better shadows and lighting but Ryse has the best looking textures.

Also why are people using a newspaper review as a barometer for other review scores. This is like putting stock in what Maxim has to say about video games.

ShogunX

In a world where Knack, which is a technically solid title with shallow gameplay and meaty length designed for kids, gets skewered what in hell could someone say in favor of Ryse? It looks pretty 'cause blood and romans?

Oh fucking hell get over it. Justice for Cerny and justice for shitty main character design.

Ryse has always looked an average game when it comes to the game play department and it's pretty obvious that reviews will be all over the place.

Dunlop

So? If a person can't compare games across genres they shouldn't be reviewing games.

Also, I'd say Knack is a pretty solid comparison in terms of gameplay depth. Ryse stakes it's claim on presentation while Knack is longer and far more technically polished. I know which side of that argument I'd prefer to see the gaming press take a stand in favor of, but I also know that the games industry generally breaks the exact opposite way on that.

So why don't we just start comparing Crash Bandicoot to God of War which this is scenario similar too

Mario to Call of Duty?
Uncharted to Dance Central 4?

The only basis of these 2 games is they are platform exclusives so instead of looking at each in their own merit, we need to bring up console warrior bullshit

Afrodium

Banned
It's hilarious that so many people are actively wishing for Ryse to bomb. I get it, it looks completely devoid of fun, but it seems like Ryse is every PS4 fanboy's last hope that the Xbox One will have a terrible AAA launch title.

That said... I'm very curious to see what it scores

Top Bottom