• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, looking at the minor enemies in comparison, Rayquaza has a lot of health. Also, a boss rush mode would rock hard, but I'll bet Sakurai is probably referring to the ability to revisit stages on a map with the bosses still waiting for you at the end.

Jiggy

Keru_Shiri said:
Damn, looking at the minor enemies in comparison, Rayquaza has a lot of health. Also, a boss rush mode would rock hard, but I'll bet Sakurai is probably referring to the ability to revisit stages on a map with the bosses still waiting for you at the end.
There's been a boss rush in nearly every Sakurai Kirby game. (Actually, maybe even exactly every Kirby game, but I'm kind of fuzzy on Dreamland 1-2...)

Sciz

I wouldn't say this update confirms boss rush, but I'll be shocked if it isn't in the game. No worries, folks.

Jiggy37 said:
There's been a boss rush in nearly every Sakurai Kirby game. (Actually, maybe even exactly every Kirby game, but I'm kind of fuzzy on Dreamland 1-2...)

Kirby's Adventure is the only one that comes to mind, but I'm not very familiar with the KDL series.

Jiggy37 said:

Well, in Kirby 1, the boss rush is part of the final level.
In all the remaining platformers, it's an unlockable mode.

Jiggy37 said:
You know, it's been subtle since we haven't gotten any real megatons, but December has actually made for a very, very solid month of updates. If I remove the December updates I wasn't too fond of, the list looks like this:
Yes December has given us an amazing month of updates. I can't wait to see the remaining updates for the week!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is the best item update ever, everyone's already said why. Also, now we're seeing some real screens of Subspace and it looks gorgeous. Rayquaza looks fantastic.

Jiggy

-Merry Christmas, the Sequel (TM): December 26th actually brings a super awesome update! Guess it just took them a bit of heavy lifting to get it here? :D

-Trophy Stands makes for the 11th story mode update. Boss rematches fill in as the 28th game mode, further solidifying their first-place position as the most common update type.

-44 days without a character, 21 days of updates until the Japanese release date. We'll know more about our roster soon enough, one way or the other--either the Dojo, or people getting the Japanese game, or strategy guides, or something. Hang on!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The Subspace Emissary looks to combine the best aspects of Kirby and Pokemon.

And that's awesome.

So far, December has redeemed Novembust at least two times over.

Jiggy37 said:
Good point. In fact, now that I think about it, All-Star mode from Melee was reminiscent of Arena from Kirby All Star.

Shinobix

I'll be off the Internet for a few days because I'll be visiting New York. Hope to see some good updates when I'm back home, Sakurai!

See you later GAF.

Dreavus

So the SSE is kind of like a brand new Kirby side-scroller, except it's on the wii, and I can play several Nintendo characters, and it has Pokemon-esque monster capturing.

Friends, this alone is worth the purchase.

Please Sakurai, take my money! Take it!

Dreavus said:
So the SSE is kind of like a brand new Kirby side-scroller, except it's on the wii, and I can play several Nintendo characters, and it has Pokemon-esque monster capturing.

Friends, this alone is worth the purchase.

Please Sakurai, take my money! Take it!
As awesome as it seems, being limited to the standard SSB fighting moves is what killed the adventure mode in Melee. It never hurts to dial down the anticipation.

Son of Godzilla said:
As awesome as it seems, being limited to the standard SSB fighting moves is what killed the adventure mode in Melee. It never hurts to dial down the anticipation.
Really? I always thought it was the level design that killed Adventure mode in my eyes. First two stages were great, but the rest of the game really screamed "rush job" to me and started to feel awfully repetitive.

SSE looks to be a lot stronger in level design, from what little we've seen, and the branching paths and boss fights will help give it it's own unique flavor so it won't just seem like Classic mode with gimmicks.

turk128

Was there ever a platform Pokemon game? Cause this looks like a whole lot of fun.

TowTow looks like Batman in his icon.
modea11_071226c-l.jpg

The Primids look like an Evil/Smogling Chibi-Robos.
modea11_071226a.jpg

NeonZ

Son of Godzilla said:

I thought that what killed Adventure Mode in SSBM was that it wasn't much of an "Adventure". There were 2 action levels, 2 time attack levels, and everything else was just fighting in the standard game arenas. Those non-fighting levels were awfully small too. The only one with a decent length was Zelda's (to an unlucky player, that is), but that one had a really annoying level design.

NeonZ

Dark Ninja said:
so there only be trophy's of characters that appear in the game as enemies?
Booo
I want a another trophy of Mach rider

Huh...? What? We've already seen trophies of Tingle and Dixie(IIRC), so that clearly isn't the case... However, the only way you can get trophies of enemies is getting them with those trophy bases.

miyuru

Dark Ninja said:
so there only be trophy's of characters that appear in the game as enemies?
Booo
I want a another trophy of Mach rider

No no, you'll still get all the regular trophies I'm sure. Just certain trophies have to collected in-game in the adventure mode like this.

NeonZ said:
Huh...? What? We've already seen trophies of Tingle and Dixie(IIRC), so that clearly isn't the case... However, the only way you can get trophies of enemies is getting them with those trophy bases.
oh ok I totaly forgot about that thought they were replacing the other trophy's with the stickers

You know what, i'm not really in Smash Bros but i come here almost every day to see how will people react to the updates. And most of times there's so much fapping that even my hands are burning !
Is Smash Bros kind of a drug or something ?

Teasel

KevinCow said:
Wait, this is new to everyone? I noticed this back at E for all.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26644.html

Here, around 1:35. You can clearly see DK throw an item that looks just like the thing that trophies stood on in Melee at a Koopa, and the Koopa turns into an item.

Though maybe I only noticed it because I watched this video a thousand times just for Diddy Kong...

yeah i noticed the trophy stand but i actualy thought it was a giant coin of some sort and didn't understand what was the purpose of it... i also thought rayquaza was there just for the show not that he actualy was a boss too so yay!
i wonder what happen if you turn pete into a trophy if you can at all

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Chû Totoro said:
You know what, i'm not really in Smash Bros but i come here almost every day to see how will people react to the updates. And most of times there's so much fapping that even my hands are burning !
Is Smash Bros kind of a drug or something ?
Yes. Yes it is.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hey guys, hoped you all had a happy Christmas Day and got lots of nice stuff and played nicely.

Today's update just fills me with dread; I can see this being an even crueller way to make the game addictive to those of us who like Pokémon especially and collecting all the trophies in this way is just going to add more to a game that already looks to be lasting about ten billion squillion years.

Speaking of Pokémon, Rayquaza really IS a boss - and he looks fantastic too. Freakin' huge! I wonder if there will be any other Pokémon turning up as bosses? An encounter with Giratina would be pretty amazing too.

Akinola

I think all these responses bring me to this question:

Is a $50 US price tag too little? Would you pay $60, no, $70 for all the replay value Smash will provide? I was checking out the MSRP on the JP site, and it's def over $60...

What is Smash worth to you?

I'd pay $100+ for Smash.

I still play Melee to this day. Every other three days or so, my buddies come over and we play a good two hours of Smash. And we've been doing this since Melee's launch back in 2001! And we're not even tourneytards! I can barely "wave dash". We just have a lot more fun playing Melee than any game of the last generation.

Since Brawl is Melee on steroids, I know it'll be my GOTY no matter what else comes out just based on the replay value alone. Hell, GOTD for sure.

Anyway, awesome update for three reasons:

1. Gotta catch 'em all!
2. Rayquaza boss battle confirmed
3. Boss Rush confirmed!?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Akinola said:
I think all these responses bring me to this question:

Is a $50 US price tag too little? Would you pay $60, no, $70 for all the replay value Smash will provide? I was checking out the MSRP on the JP site, and it's def over $60...

What is Smash worth to you?

Smash is worth me kicking you in the face.

Wait, is that Kirby's triple kick of fail on that pic ?
I wanted his drills back. :(

Hopefully all hits will connect if the first one does.

sp0rsk, the word you were looking for is "kneeing". ;)

Akinola

sp0rsk said:
Smash is worth me kicking you in the face.

Why the spiteful post, I just wanted people's opinions. If smash came out with a $60 price tag, everyone in this thread would still put down the money for it. I would too. In no way am I trying to degrade the quality.

But for some odd reason, I can imagine Sakurai saying in an update that the game will cost more than the MSRP being advertised. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily.

December's been a good month for updates so far. I wonder what tomorrow will bring?

Fireblend

Banned
So Subspace Emissary is Sakurai's way of making a new Kirby game with the whole Smash Bros. cast as main characters? Awesome. Boss rush mode should be fun, maybe it's one of the events? Or will be an unlocked feature like in the Kirby games.

Latest Update said:
"Since you can’t get these trophies if you don’t have a trophy stand, pure skill is not enough—it requires a little luck, too.

I’ll make it so you’ll somehow be allowed to fight the bosses even after you’ve already cleared the game, so it’s OK if you don’t hunt all these trophies down in the first battle."

I love how when I read the site each weekday it feels like Sakurai is specifically talking to me like we're on the phone or something and he's telling me the update details. :lol

This game and everything to do with it is untouchable. Even the website updates are blowing my mind. <3

ant1532

Banned
Akinola said:
But for some odd reason, I can imagine Sakurai saying in an update that the game will cost more than the MSRP being advertised. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily.
What the hell are you smoking? Must've got some crazy shit for christmas.

Tim-E

Akinola said:

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Sure, it definitely is thew game of the ever, and it has an endless amount of content that will keep us playing it for who knows how long, but the game will be $50. I'd still buy it if it were $60, but it won't be. How would it not be a bad thing if it was higher than $50?

This was an AMAZING update! I am so excited about this feature. It takes Castlevania-like Boss Rush mode, adds some Pokemon collection mechanics, and then adds in a twist with the trophy stands. Soooo good.

Oh and I bet trophy stands won't appear in easy mode. Chances are that they will only appear in the harder modes, and that those harder modes will have unique enemies whose trophies can only be gotten in that mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom