• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Rancid Mildew said:
Nifty. We get our first glimpse into the Vault. The screenshot seems to indicate that there are multiple pages so I wonder what else the Vault holds.

It'll definitely have it's own sections for player screenshots and video. Maybe this is where custom built stages will go too. But here's hoping for even more surprises beyond that :)

Sharp

AceBandage said:
It'll be a nice distraction, that's for sure.

It was really just a gumball machine. Coin goes in, trophy pops out.
Right. But pinball != gumball in the least, so I was understandably confused. "Did I miss something?" and all that. I imagine it'll be easy to miss features in Brawl, though, because there are so fucking many.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Nintaiyo said:
For real, U.S. should just switch to the metric system already.

Haha, it's on the U.K. site too, beautiful.

various20_071227e-l.jpg

:lol Reminds me of "Shine get"

Jiggy

Game modes hit an utterly massive 29 updates, in style. :D We're also 45 days without a character profile, and 20 days of updates until the Japanese release date.

This is kind of minimal, but there's really not much else to say. :p Excellent update, though! December continues bringing the goodness.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sciz said:
Fighter, beat 'em up, and shmup? Any other genres I'm missing?

Sakurai, you spoil us.

I can't begin to imagine how many individual trophies and stickers this game is going to have. Go go gadget collectathon
in a good way

I'm calling it -- this game will have 500 trophies and 500 stickers. 1,000 little worthless things to collect, and each will be oh so satisfying. =P

[edit] You forgot "platformer"

Jiggy

Sciz said:
Fighter, beat 'em up, and shmup? Any other genres I'm missing?
Platformer. :D

Anyway, I'm out early tonight... Family stuff going on. But this was a really cool update and I liked it quite a bit--since 2D shooters are awesome and all. :D

KevinCow

Banned
various20_071227b-l.jpg

Trophy Gallery and Trophy Hoard? Hmm. I'm guessing you can get multiples of trophies, and the Trophy Hoard is where the multiples are stored. Ten bucks says you can trade them online.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, that was unexpected, but I guess it's not a bad update. And Sakurai doesn't have to worry, I will make sure to play every millimeter of this game.

KevinCow

Banned
We should get a new character on New Year's Day, to kick off launch month for Japan, and the last full month of waiting for us.

But of course we won't.

Koomaster

Mind is blown, can't believe I'm still able to get surprised by these updates.

If this game retails for $50, it's a bargain! Unbelievable how much stuff has gone into the game. ^______^

Nintaiyo

DrForester said:
WE are SO getting playable Wind Waker Link. Just dont' forget Tetra/Zelda Sakurai.

ZOMG SPOILARZ!!1
jk

Seriously, this game is already loaded to the brim with options, and he keeps announcing more and more. This is great....but we neeeeed a new character sometime, Sakkuuuuraiii!

TreIII

ratcliffja said:
This update made my jaw drop. I'm wondering when they're going to announce an RTS mode. Seriously, this game has just about everything.

RTS(or some kind of Strategy RPG) and Sim-Life/Dating mode. That's pretty much all this game needs in order to be able to cater to pretty much every fanbase that could exist. :D

Honestly though, with Sakurai pretty much throwing everything in here...I'm almost beginning to wonder...is he really just trying to make it so there really CAN'T be another Smash game after this? Because, the way things are now, I'd be hard-pressed to think how he, or any one else, for that matter, could hope to outdo this kind of package deal.

Sciz

Danthrax said:
[edit] You forgot "platformer"

Jiggy37 said:
Platformer. :D

Nah. Unless SSE is much less focused on combat than it appears, it's a beat 'em up. I don't even really consider the Kirby series to be platformers, much less SSB adventure mode.

Unless you mean some other mode I'm not thinking of offhand.

As Sakurai alluded to, this is yet another reason why gambling for coins in Spectator mode will have some value beyond that of a screensaver.

Great update.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TreIII said:
RTS(or some kind of Strategy RPG) and Sim-Life/Dating mode. That's pretty much all this game needs in order to be able to cater to pretty much every fanbase that could exist. :D

FPS, racing and rhythm genres. I'd say "Sakurai, make it happen" but I'll bet he already has.

Sciz said:
Nah. Unless SSE is much less focused on combat than it appears, it's a beat 'em up. I don't even really consider the Kirby series to be platformers, much less SSB adventure mode.

No that's what I was referring to. It remains to be seen how much actual platforming will be in Brawl, but the two stages in Melee's Adventure Mode had quite a bit of platforming in them, so....

Sciz

TreIII said:
Honestly though, with Sakurai pretty much throwing everything in here...I'm almost beginning to wonder...is he really just trying to make it so there really CAN'T be another Smash game after this? Because, the way things are now, I'd be hard-pressed to think how he, or any one else, for that matter, could hope to outdo this kind of package deal.

They can always add more of the same kinds of content, but I'll agree that it'll be nigh-impossible to outdo Brawl in the same fashion that Brawl is blowing away Melee. From a cost:content standpoint, every other game of the last several years is going to look overpriced by comparison, Orange Box included.

It's like Sakurai's own personal Final Smash.

Sciz said:

Break The Targets?

Sciz

VeritasVierge said:
Break The Targets?

Eh...not sure how to classify that one. It's like a lightgun game without the lightgun.

Crushed said:
I can't recognize either trophies nor the sticker in this screenshot.

The big trophy is Sir Kibble. I believe the sticker is a Kirby miniboss named Boxy.

6tyibko.gif

Stuneseht

Sciz said:
Eh...not sure how to classify that one. It's like a lightgun game without the lightgun.

The big trophy is Sir Kibble. I believe the sticker is a Kirby miniboss named Boxy.

boxy.gif
yeah that makes more sense. Good eyes.

Dreavus

This looks to be a lot more fun than the slot machine, which became tedious once your chance to get a new trophy became 5% or so.

m00

Rancid Mildew said:
Nifty. We get our first glimpse into the Vault. The screenshot seems to indicate that there are multiple pages so I wonder what else the Vault holds.
Someone a few weeks ago noticed that the different categories were color-coded. The Vault is green:

various18_071112a.jpg

Here are the "green" screens we've seen so far:

various20_071227b.jpg
various03_070815b.jpg
various03_070815c.jpg
various07_071012g.jpg
various10_071029h.jpg
various09_071024e.jpg

The last screenshot is for sending game replay data to your friends.

KevinCow

Banned
Sciz said:
They can always add more of the same kinds of content, but I'll agree that it'll be nigh-impossible to outdo Brawl in the same fashion that Brawl is blowing away Melee.
When Melee came out and it one-upped SSB64 in pretty much every conceivable way, I said, "Man, I don't think the next Smash could possibly outdo Melee in the way Melee outdid SSB64."

If Sakurai's involved, he'll find a way.

RagnarokX said:
73dzscj.gif

any clues?
Bottom left is Rob 64.

m00

RagnarokX said:
The one in the upper left corner looks like Master Hand and Crazy Hand are cracking their knuckles. The red blob is obviously Zelda in her red dress way in the background, saying, "You guys really shouldn't do that. You can give yourselves arthritis, you know, and besides, it's a nasty habit."

Either that or a turtle dove carrying a croissant under its right wing.

Pringo

Banned
Pringo said:
I believe the bottom right one is one of the air ride machines from Kirby Air Ride. I can't remember what it's called at the moment.
GameFAQs is telling me that it was called the Dragoon. Seems right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom