• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Minsc said:
When/Where is this released first & how many updates remain until that release date?

I'm starting to think the number of remaining updates is drawing a little thin, possibly under 30.
January 24th in Japan, 20 days of updates until then. However, the Smash Bros. Melee site was updated for a few months even after that game was released, so we might still be getting info yet.

...Assuming we haven't already gotten everything we need to know from leaks and people who actually bought it.

Meloche

civilstrife said:
To be honest, I think that it's just the nature of these updates that makes it seem like there's an absurd amount of content here. (although there's certainly alot)

I mean, I think you can take any game, reveal it's features one by one and make it seem like its just bursting at the seams.

[Halo plasma grenade example]
You know, I'd say that's true to a certain extent, but it's not like people are going nuts because there's tons of items in the game [in fact, I'd say it's the opposite judging from reactions here to item updates :p]. It's moreso the sheer variety and depth of the content on display here that warrants all the buzz, and I don't think that you could say the same of most games.

Look at things like Four Kinds of Control -- very few games give you that kind of control over how to configure your controller setup. Some of the online features like sharing maps and replays, co-op in the various modes, and things of that nature may seem a little blasé for Xbox owners that are used to Live, but again, there isn't another Wii game that comes even close to offering the same online experience that Brawl will. I think Halo was kind of a bad example of 'just any other game', because that franchise is up there in terms of options and depth as well [four player online co-op, forge, etc]. But even Halo doesn't feature as much sheer content as Brawl does... the amount of Nintendo fan-service crammed into the hundreds of trophies and stickers alone is absurd, and then you have to factor in a huge roster of playable characters from all sorts of Nintendo franchises, and then further cameos via Assists and Pokeballs. Brawl is a fucking Nintendo encyclopedia, a premier competitive fighter, a massively popular party game, a sidescrolling action game, and a collection of high-score seeking minigames, all in one. And I can't be sure of this one, but I think it just might feature the largest list of contributing music composers for any game, ever.

Obviously I'm hopelessly biased in its favour -- without even having played it I might add -- but I think I can say fairly reasonably that very few games come close to packing in as much content as Brawl does now, let alone what modes and things we don't even know about yet.

civilstrife said:
To be honest, I think that it's just the nature of these updates that makes it seem like there's an absurd amount of content here. (although there's certainly alot)
[/B]
I think it has more to do with people comparing it to melee. It seems like every feature that was in Melee has not only returned in Brawl, but has an added degree of interactivity in some form or another.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Touchdown said:
Yay!! just got the news the game has gone gold! No more delays thank god!!:D
Sometimes I wish devs could keep coding and polishing the game until like 2 days before release.:lol

p.s. who are you and how the hell do you know this?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Touchdown said:
Yay!! just got the news the game has gone gold! No more delays thank god!!:D
Did you get your news from somewhere other than Smashboards? I don't want to have my emotions toyed with. :(

pulga

Banned
Hell yeah, the trophy minigame looks like a whole lot of fun, much better than the simple gumball machine.

And I whole heartedly support WW Link appearing in this game, but he better come equipped with the Deku Leaf as a means of returning to the stage or no dice.

Anyways... why do I get the feeling we're getting FALCON PAAAAUNCHED tonight? :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TreIII said:
Any body else think of "CrossFire" when they saw this thing?

"CROSSFIRE! CROSSFIRE! CROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIREE!!!!!" :lol :lol

You can't make a statement like that without posting a picture

1.jpg

Jiggy

Predicting that tonight we'll get the method of powering yourself up to fight the Subspace Army. We've gotten our explanation of what coins do, so it's time for the other long-awaited explanation...

Edit: And also Zelda's final smash as a completely random bonus.

I had a feeling we'd get a megaton this week. I also thought we'd get a stage, so I'm predicting a stage megaton, or megaton stage, tonight!

This game basically has everything I want but there are still a few things im holding out for. They would be..
1. A Luigis Mansion stage (semi-Confirmed)
2. Galaxy stage
3. Bowser Jr. Playable
4. Luigi with polturgust 3000 moveset
5. Playable Olimar
6. Geno
7. SKULL KID
8. Feirce Deity Link somehow in the game

I doubt skull kid will make the cut but I want some majora mask representation at least. If Brawl has these things my heart woudlnt be able to take the excitement :lol

Rindain

Banned
Ridley for tonight!

If Ridley doesn't get into Brawl as a playable character, he will definitely be the most requested non-3rd party character for Brawl's successor.

Vlad

KevinCow said:
I wanted one of those when I was a kid :(

I had one, and it wasn't nearly as fun as you'd think. From what I remember, the games themselves were fairly dull, the guns would regularly jam, and the trigger would make your finger seriously sore after a very short amount of time.

I dont get all the Bowser Jr. Hate. As a character in the mario universe I think hes not that great, but I think he has potential to be a fun smash character. With the paintbrush, and MAYBE a shadow mario transformation, he could be FUN to play as. I think that is the most imporant thing.

Jiggy

He'd probably play mostly like a smaller, faster Bowser with one or two special moves changed around. Even if he had a Shadow Mario transformation, then he'd just be playing like Bowser and Mario in a single character, which still isn't that original. >_>

Firestorm

civilstrife said:

I mean, I think you can take any game, reveal it's features one by one and make it seem like its just bursting at the seams.

PLASMA GRENADES

It's pretty common for the hero of a First Person Shooter to throw grenades, Right?
But wait... What's this?!?!
halo.jpg

what.... IS THAT GLOWING...!!
250px-Plasma_Grenade.jpg

It's a different kind of grenade.
Multiplayer%20Medals_clip_image015.gif

If you hit someone with it... WATCH OUT

You use Halo 3 as the example? The one game that I would say the developers put as much work into the fan service as Brawl?

Jiggy37 said:
He'd probably play mostly like a smaller, faster Bowser with one or two special moves changed around. Even if he had a Shadow Mario transformation, then he'd just be playing like Bowser and Mario in a single character, which still isn't that original. >_>

Not if they gave him a full paintbrush moveset! Im sure Sakurai could do some very creative things with it. And the reason I said MAYBE a shadown Mario transformation was because he might end up being a mario clone, but again im sure Sakurai could come up with something and if not then he dosent have to have it.

BJr.

B: Bullet Bill
Smash B: Spiked Shell
Up B: Hammer Throw
Down B: Transform
Final Smash: Mecha Koopa

Shadow Mario

B: Mud Ball
Smash B: Oil Slick
Up B: Paint Portal
Down B: Transform
Final Smash: Paint Piranha

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
If Bowser Jr. gets in over more awesome Mario-universe characters like Kamek or... Kamek, it'll be a sad day indeed. :(

And Mouser deserves a spot more than either of them. SMB2-USA FTW! :D

But honestly, I think we've had enough Mario characters. The Bros, Peach and Bowser is all you really need, and then we've got Wario and Yoshi too.

So, as I've said in the past, I'll say it again: once I get positive confirmation that the likes of Ridley, Jody Summers (or hell, ANY other F-Zero personality), Claus-Masked Boy, Takamaru and many more are confirmed, then I'll think it's all good to start dipping into more chars from the established camps. But as long as we've got some camps that either barely have one, or don't have one at all, I just don't think it's very fair to load up with any more from the likes of Mario, Pokemon and etc. camps.

Jiggy

BlueSummers said:
Not if they gave him a full paintbrush moveset!
Maybe I have to play Sunshine again, because I honestly don't remember him doing much of anything with the paintbrush...

TreIII said:
But honestly, I think we've had enough Mario characters.
Well, yeah, I don't particularly want another one either. (Edit: Unless it was Daisy, but since everybody hates her except me, I'm sure Sakurai knows that and didn't include her. :p) I'm just saying that if their mindset was that they wanted to add another Mario villain, I'd rather see Kamek (as a second representative for the Yoshi symbol, even) than Bowser Jr.

Aras

BlueSummers said:
3. Bowser Jr. Playable

I'm waiting for that to come but I guess Bowser Jr. is gonna be a hidden character and will be released by finishing the Subspace Emissary with Bowser.

BlueSummers said:
4. Luigi with polturgust 3000 moveset

I think there are huge possibilities for that to happen cause mario's down special move was changed by Fludd and Luigi has nearly the same special move o__o

BlueSummers said:
I doubt skull kid will make the cut but I want some majora mask representation at least. If Brawl has these things my heart woudlnt be able to take the excitement :lol

Skull kid shall be the best rep from Majoras =(

civilstrife said:

PLASMA GRENADES

It's pretty common for the hero of a First Person Shooter to throw grenades, Right?
But wait... What's this?!?!
halo.jpg

what.... IS THAT GLOWING...!!
250px-Plasma_Grenade.jpg

It's a different kind of grenade.
Multiplayer%20Medals_clip_image015.gif

If you hit someone with it... WATCH OUT

Master Chief c0nfrimed!11!!1
So, as I've said in the past, I'll say it again: once I get positive confirmation that the likes of Ridley, Jody Summers (or hell, ANY other F-Zero personality), Claus-Masked Boy, Takamaru and many more are confirmed, then I'll think it's all good to start dipping into more chars from the established camps. But as long as we've got some camps that either barely have one, or don't have one at all, I just don't think it's very fair to load up with any more from the likes of Mario, Pokemon and etc. camps.

Pokemon trainer was dissapointing. They just had to group the de-evolved Pokemon with an evolved one? It doesn't make sense, they should have made them individual choices e.g. Pikachu, and given the option to group a combination.

Also, QQQ as a playable character would be instant win.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Bowser Jr. is rad, I never understood the Badass Baby B hate. He's got the attitude for an 80's skateboarder mixed with the fashion sense of an arthouse cowboy. Also, he's magic.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I, a diehard Bowser Jr. hater, actually would be interested to see a modified version of the Bowser moveset applied to a character with greater speed and agility.

Just...not Bowser Jr. himself.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
AceBandage said:
- Kirby feels more like his N64 counterpart

Very yes. :D

AceBandage said:
- The Pokemon Trainer shouts out the names of the Pokemon he uses

Nice touch. I hope they don't use the voice of the anime dub protagonist (is it still Ash, or did they finally decide to go with someone good?), though. The line between the game character and the anime character doesn't need to be further blurred.

AceBandage said:
- Duster (Mother 3) and Rosalina are assist trophies

Always good to see more Mother info, even if it is Mother 3 yet again. As for Rosalina, it opens the door for Galaxy content and that's fantastic.

AceBandage said:
- Sandbag is an item

I wonder what exactly Sandbag can do, seeing as we've never seen it do anything but get bludgeoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom