• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Proven said:
So this is it huh? This is as far as this thread can go before major spoilers spill everywhere starting after, or even possibly this, holiday season?

It was good knowing you guys.

The Dojo community will never die. We'll just migrate to the Official Thread and, eventually, the game itself.

KevinCow

Banned
January 7th update:

"Well we decided to push up the release date. It'll be out next week for Japan and North America!

Sorry Europeans, you have to wait until November!"

Jiggy

Linkzg said:
considering this threads purpose, it shouldent be closed until after Sakurai stops updating the dojo.
I'd still be providing stats straight through April (SSBM site was updated for a few more months, so maybe the Dojo will be as well) if people were interested, but I somehow doubt any of us will when we actually have the game.

Jiggy

Well, we do "play" games and we will "play" Brawl. It's just that, around here, games are a means to an end, where the end is us coming back to NeoGAF and launching into spirited debates about tiers, items, rule sets, tourney-legal stages, and stuff of all sorts that "should have" but didn't make it into the game. Keep your eye on the goal. :D

KevinCow

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
where the end is us coming back to NeoGAF and launching into spirited debates about tiers, items, rule sets, tourney-legal stages
I am almost certain my first ban will come from one of these arguments - er, "spirited debates."

Spruchy

Jiggy37 said:
Well, we do "play" games and we will "play" Brawl. It's just that, around here, games are a means to an end, where the end is us coming back to NeoGAF and launching into spirited debates about tiers, items, rule sets, tourney-legal stages, and stuff of all sorts that "should have" but didn't make it into the game. Keep your eye on the goal. :D

stop kidding yourself.

justchris

Jiggy37 said:
Nope, I stand firm in my belief that there's at least a small percentage of people on NeoGAF who play games. :D

I play games. I only post on GAF when I'm at work :lol

I don't get much work done....

Firestorm

I actually missed that there would be no updates next week. I saw it in German, but figured it was saying there was some event they could play the game at next week :lol

DuckRacer

I've looked through the last few pages and haven't seen anything about this, so...

I went over to SA and found this, which also brings up this, which is about some Gfaqs thread containing this:

Ok, I'm not trying to get attention here or anything, but I've got some insider news.

I can't give proof, and if I could I wouldn't. I thought it was bull until Monday.

I was told there was a stage creator. So far, this news has been correct. So check this out...

He said Wolf was in the game. (I don't even like Wolf, so I don't care.)

Falco is returning.

Ganondorf is returning.

Captain Falcon is returning.

Lucario is taking Mewtwo's Place.

Ness is returning.

Zelda can turn into Sheik.

And there are these items called "Dragoon Parts" I did some research and apparently they're from Kirby's Air Ride. Supposedly, if you collect all three parts you can do some devastating move where you control a crosshair and do a crazy rush or something.

Oh and Final Destination is back.

I wish there was more info squeezed out, but there wasn't. If you don't want to believe, don't. I know there's a lot more to be revealed besides this anyway. Let time prove it, as it has begun to.

This supposed "insider" got the Dragoon part right. Now, I'm not sure if this rumor stirring is acceptable here, and/or if it's old, and if it is, I'll take it down. Just thought you guys would care to know.

Meloche

I was going to post that this week of downtime would be a great time to release SSB64 for the Virtual Console in order to keep our focus on Smash, but it turns out it's not happening. Ignoring next Monday then, NOA has five more chances to give us SSB before Brawl comes out. I'm not sure if this is even a remotely realistic expectation, but I'll hope for it anyways. Come oooonnn, Smash 64.

Jiggy

I already expected Falco, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Ness, Sheik, Final Destination, and a stage creator. I half-anticipated Lucario, depending on what "taking Mewtwo's place" means (I didn't expect him to get Mewtwo's moveset if that's what it means), but whatever the case, Lucario's been predicted by a lot of others. Nothing unusual in any of that.

To get all of that Dragoon detail correct, though--I think that particular part would have to require inside info. Interesting stuff. Now to wonder about what's meant by Wolf being "in" the game. Could just be a boss character...

Edit: Of course, we did have someone in this very thread who predicted the mechanics of the WarioWare stage, but I'd say even that would be more likely to guess than the mechanics of an item from a game not known to be receiving representation.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
I already expected Falco, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Ness, Sheik, Final Destination, and a stage creator. I half-anticipated Lucario, depending on what "taking Mewtwo's place" means (I didn't expect him to get Mewtwo's moveset if that's what it means), but whatever the case, Lucario's been predicted by a lot of others. Nothing unusual in any of that.

It would still suck that Mewtwo got replaced. I mean, as much as I personally like and prefer Lucario, I was really hoping that Two would've gotten a significant buff, like his low-tier residing pal, Bowser. But hey, if it is the case, I would just have to deal with it.

As for Ness? It would definitely be nice to see that he was still part of the party (though I would be more eager for Claus, at this stage in the game).

To get all of that Dragoon detail correct, though--I think that particular part would have to require inside info. Interesting stuff. Now to wonder about what's meant by Wolf being "in" the game. Could just be a boss character...

Indeed, very interesting...

As for Wolf? Well, it could be just a thing that Wolf won out over Krystal. I'd some what prefer it that way, personally, but then the thing would be, how would they differentiate Wolf enough from the other two Lylatians?

Jiggy

TreIII said:
It would still suck that Mewtwo got replaced. I mean, as much as I personally like and prefer Lucario, I was really hoping that Two would've gotten a significant buff, like his low-tier residing pal, Bowser.
Pretty much same here. Lucario > Mewtwo, but I did kind of want to see Mewtwo done right. And there are certainly aspects of its moveset that Lucario can't inherit without breaking Pokemon canon, like Disable, the bizarre jumping mechanics, the forward throw, and (maybe) whatever in the world that body-electrifying attack is supposed to represent. (Shock Wave?) And the tail attacks would have to be slightly tweaked since Mewtwo's got the longer tail.

As for Wolf? Well, it could be just a thing that Wolf won out over Krystal. I'd some what prefer it that way, personally, but then the thing would be, how would they differentiate Wolf enough from the other two Lylatians?
Only somewhat? :D I think it'd be time to paint the town red if it was true.
But, again, it does depend on what being "in" means. If Wolf was an assist trophy and Krystal was playable, well... :/

Firestorm

It's from October 30th ._.
gamefaqs.jpg

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Only somewhat? :D I think it'd be time to paint the town red if it was true.
But, again, it does depend on what being "in" means. If Wolf was an assist trophy and Krystal was playable, well... :/

Heh...

Still, I guess my thing is, if it were like 3-5 years ago, I probably would have been much more excited about Wolf getting in this game. But being burned out on lackluster StarFox games has since changed my tune, to the point where I'm more apathetic.

Furthermore, if I had a choice, I would rather have some one like the much more bad-ass Leon, Zoda and/or Bio Rex from the F-Zero series instead. They'd both meet the "furry"/"kemono"/"supernatural freak" qualifier, while also giving the very bad-ass F-Zero characters more play besides Captain Falcon (and my hopeful, Jody Summers). :D

Meloche

Wow, that's pretty poor moderation on the part of Gamefaqs. If the thread title is 'trolling', then just change it. :\
Ganondorf is returning.
duh
Captain Falcon is returning.
no kidding
Ness is returning.
Yesssssss
Zelda can turn into Sheik.
Looking forward to seeing the new Sheik look, should be cool.
Oh and Final Destination is back.
If it is, I hope it's got a new look like Battlefield. It doesn't contribute any nostalgia value because it's a Smash Bros original stage, and it's not like it'd be hard to make a FD equivalent in the Stage Editor. Still, some kind of Final Destination should be expected now it has been confirmed that Classic Mode will be returning.

All in all, not a mindblowing set of rumours, but the Dragoon Wings are so obscure that there's no way you could call that without having at least some access to some inside info.

Firestorm said:
It's from October 30th ._.
gamefaqs.jpg
The Dragoon portion of the post is spot on!

So there is actual credibility in the post, though everything else seems too good to be true.
It boggles my mind, and I'm failing to convey my reaction to the Dragoon portion in this post.

Aras

I don't know why the mod got upset, that info is pretty obvious and like that user said: it's not so relevant

and everything new coming from a common person is a RUMOR xD he/she didn't have to write: Rumor in the title of his thread cause everybody knew that

jesus, the mod just wanted to start a fight

btw, wolf is in (8) wolf is in (8) xDDDD

Proven

I'm going to stick this out a bit longer.

If Ness is still in then my (recent) prediction that the original Smash64 characters were becoming unlockable again is correct.

And I am here and now going to say (again) that I bet Shiek form is Zelda's new Final Smash. I know some people don't like it, but I think it would fit with the alternate character theme like Samus and her Zero Suit. Of course with Pokemon Trainer as an example, Down+B changes are still in, so I'm more or less preparing for the worst case scenario.

Also, I'm leery of what form Wolf appears in the game because they went and gave Fox a wolf costume as one of his alternate costumes. Considering that there has never been a "Dark Fox" character, nor has Fox ever joined Star Wolf (as far as my knowledge at least), I'd be real pissed that Sakurai put that in the E for All demo to punk us out, and that Falco better have his own version while Wolf have a Star Fox suit.

And I don't care what anyone says, I actually like Krystal independent of the circumstances of the games she has been in. I want her in and with her staff is possible. There aren't enough weapon users outside of swordsmen in this game.

Sciz

Proven said:
And I am here and now going to say (again) that I bet Shiek form is Zelda's new Final Smash. I know some people don't like it, but I think it would fit with the alternate character theme like Samus and her Zero Suit. Of course with Pokemon Trainer as an example, Down+B changes are still in, so I'm more or less preparing for the worst case scenario.

And I'm going to say again that Shiek is still Zelda's Down + B (and vice versa). Pokemon Trainer is limited by time, and Samus is limited by smash balls. Sakurai has no reason to turn a unique transformation mechanic into the same kind as another character's.

Proven

Sciz said:
And I'm going to say again that Shiek is still Zelda's Down + B (and vice versa). Pokemon Trainer is limited by time, and Samus is limited by smash balls. Sakurai has no reason to turn a unique transformation mechanic into the same kind as another character's.

The problem is that I can't see a reason why he wouldn't other than the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but then he could be using it as a way to make things better (or make Zelda better).

He's shown that he's not afraid to change around a few Down+B's (Mario for example, although his previous version wasn't very strong) and it sorta, in a twisted way, supports my other hope that you can choose to start off with Shiek or Zero Suit Samus to make them playable still when Smash Balls are (inevitably) turned off for matches in the future, from casual to tournament scenes.

The fact that Wario has a way to his original pre-WarioWare costume from that other recent update also fills me with hope for this.

We also don't know how much time it will take for Pokemon Trainer to change pokemon. I don't think it'll be much, simply because it would be a very cheap and easy way to dodge Final Smash attacks if it wasn't a second or less.

Firestorm

Each of the mods is different actually. You talk to a different person each time you appeal. There are very few capable GameFAQs moderators. The newer ones blow. The week after they got new mods, I think I got 6 modded messages ors omething? I got more moderations that week than my entire 3 or 4 years at GameFAQs combined.

Meloche

Proven said:
Also, I'm leery of what form Wolf appears in the game because they went and gave Fox a wolf costume as one of his alternate costumes.
I'm not saying anything one way or another, but there are a number of alt. colours for characters that sort of make them look like someone else. The fact that Mario has a Wario colours palette swap [in Melee and Brawl] didn't stop Wario from getting in as a playable character. Peach has a Daisy swap, but I doubt Daisy is in. Ike apparently has a Marth colours alt, but I think it's plausible to expect Marth to be back in because he's the Fire Emblem lord in Japan, and he's also starring in the upcoming FE1 remake for the DS. So basically the alt. colour schemes tell us nothing, and Wolf could very well be in as a playable character; whether Fox has an alt colour scheme similar to Wolf's or not.

TreIII

Proven said:
Also, I'm leery of what form Wolf appears in the game because they went and gave Fox a wolf costume as one of his alternate costumes.

...But it's NOT Wolf at all. It's just Fox with a darker shade of chestnut brown on his fur and an otherwise "dark" ensemble. Far and away from Wolf, who has gray fur and usually is decked out in blue armor and such (circa his Assault and SF DS appearances).

KevinCow

Banned
Proven said:
The problem is that I can't see a reason why he wouldn't other than the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but then he could be using it as a way to make things better (or make Zelda better).

He's shown that he's not afraid to change around a few Down+B's (Mario for example, although his previous version wasn't very strong) and it sorta, in a twisted way, supports my other hope that you can choose to start off with Shiek or Zero Suit Samus to make them playable still when Smash Balls are (inevitably) turned off for matches in the future, from casual to tournament scenes.

The fact that Wario has a way to his original pre-WarioWare costume from that other recent update also fills me with hope for this.

We also don't know how much time it will take for Pokemon Trainer to change pokemon. I don't think it'll be much, simply because it would be a very cheap and easy way to dodge Final Smash attacks if it wasn't a second or less.
The reason isn't just because it's not broken*, it's that it's a unique character mechanic. When you have three unique character transformation mechanics, why change one to make it identical to another one? It would be like taking the Ice Climbers and removing their dual character mechanic.

*Though I would argue that it is broken, since nobody ever actually plays with Zelda.

Firestorm said:
In regards to Mewtwo, maybe they figured his tail makes his hitbox just too damn big to do anything with?
I figure it was more along the lines of, "Hey, we have Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer and his three Pokemon, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo, all representing the first generation. We should probably have a more recent Pokemon in there, too. But five Pokemon characters, or seven if you count PT's Pokemon individually, is getting a little bloated for one franchise, so we should probably take one out."

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
In regards to Mewtwo, maybe they figured his tail makes his hitbox just too damn big to do anything with?
I kind of figured it was that they realized it's bizarre to have one legendary Pokemon who sucks and can be KOed, and meanwhile Lugia/Ho-oh/Zapdos/Suicune/Deoxys/Groudon/etc. are invincible and busy tearing stuff up.

Meloche said:
I'm not saying anything one way or another, but there are a number of alt. colours for characters that sort of make them look like someone else. The fact that Mario has a Wario colours palette swap [in Melee and Brawl] didn't stop Wario from getting in as a playable character. Peach has a Daisy swap, but I doubt Daisy is in. Ike apparently has a Marth colours alt, but I think it's plausible to expect Marth to be back in because he's the Fire Emblem lord in Japan, and he's also starring in the upcoming FE1 remake for the DS.
Well, Marth also has a different fighting style in his favor. But yes, in general I agree with what you're saying (if you're saying what I think what you're saying, which is) that the color swap argument doesn't really hold merit on its own.

Actually, I might go beyond that... I'm not even sure the color swap argument combined with the clone argument would work. Somewhere between Melee and Brawl, it seems like a lot of people picked up on this idea that Brawl just wouldn't and couldn't have clones, and I don't understand why since the single precedent we have is that clones are very possible. >_>

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Actually, I might go beyond that... I'm not even sure the color swap argument combined with the clone argument would work. Somewhere between Melee and Brawl, it seems like a lot of people picked up on this idea that Brawl just wouldn't and couldn't have clones, and I don't understand why since the single precedent we have is that clones are very possible. >_>

Honestly, I expect clones. They're standard for any fighting game series and they make a great way for Sakurai to incorporate additional characters into the game without the expenditure in time that it takes to create entirely new animations and movesets. Besides, it's not like clones don't add gameplay variety. And Sakurai's all about variety.

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
Honestly, I expect clones. They're standard for any fighting game series and they make a great way for Sakurai to incorporate additional characters into the game without the expenditure in time that it takes to create entirely new animations and movesets. Besides, it's not like clones don't add gameplay variety. And Sakurai's all about variety.

Great point.

After all, we're still, at the least, slated to get Mario and Luigi. And unless Luigi gets a move-set overhaul that would be unprecedented, he's going to still be basically the "Ken" to Mario's "Ryu".

In any case, all I would ask is that they at least TRY to do something interesting with any and all clones this time around. Again, just more in line with "Mario -> Luigi", or hell "Kirby -> Purin", and less on "Mario -> Doc, Falcon -> Ganondorf, Marth -> Roy" and etc. And also, don't go overboard with the prospect.

I mean, hell, even Lucas seems to be radically different from Ness in a number of ways, going more by how their moves and basic strings seem to be different. If they can do that much, then sure, it's probably feasible that this roster could be pushed up to the 40-50 character range. Again, it would just be my hope that clones wouldn't be such a lazy affair, as was the case with Melee.

KevinCow

Banned
If we get clones, I hope they're at least more differentiated than the Melee clones. They should at least have one unique special move and a few unique standard attacks, as well as a unique Final Smash. And I don't want to see fast characters getting fast clones. If Fox, Falco, and Wolf are really in, and there's gotta be a clone, make wolf a slow, powerful version of Fox, maybe replace the side B with a slower attack, and give Falco a unique moveset. I think Ike is a good example for a "clone" of Marth. Slow and powerful with a couple of somewhat similar moves - the standard B is similar to the sword charge but with a different animation and less range, the up B is similar to Marth's in that it has very little horizontal recovery, and I believe his down B is counter. Or Ganondorf was a good clone of Captain Falcon, though if anyone retains his move set in Brawl, be it Deathborne or Black Shadow or Ganondorf himself, I hope they also have a few more unique moves.

TreIII said:
And unless Luigi gets a move-set overhaul that would be unprecedented, he's going to still be basically the "Ken" to Mario's "Ryu".
You know, it's funny you say that, because I've always thought it interesting how Smash in general resembled the traditional fighting game - particularly Street Fighter - despite its obvious deviations from the norm, starting with Mario and Luigi's similarities to Ryu and Ken. They both share fireballs and uppercuts, and a vaguely similar spinning move (though that may be reaching a bit). And while Mario and Ryu have more effective fireballs, Luigi and Ken have more effective uppercuts.

Then there's the fact that Smash 64 started out with eight characters with the four unlockable boss characters. Samus = Chun-Li (lone female), Donkey Kong = Zangief, Kirby = E. Honda, Pikachu or Yoshi = Blanka.

And that's about where the similarities end.

Meloche

Jiggy37 said:
I kind of figured it was that they realized it's bizarre to have one legendary Pokemon who sucks and can be KOed, and meanwhile Lugia/Ho-oh/Zapdos/Suicune/Deoxys/Groudon/etc. are invincible and busy tearing stuff up.
If Mewtwo isn't going to be playable, I really hope that they make him a pokeball pokemon. I think Kevincow has the logic down for why Mewtwo would be cut, but he's still an awesome pokemon that deserves to not suck in a Smash Bros game.
Jiggy37 said:
Well, Marth also has a different fighting style in his favor. But yes, in general I agree with what you're saying (if you're saying what I think what you're saying, which is) that the color swap argument doesn't really hold merit on its own.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.
Iam Canadian said:
I have absolutely no problem with clones, so long as it makes sense for the characters. Mario and Luigi have similar abilities and therefore it makes sense for them to have similar movesets -- same goes for Pichu/Pikachu, Fox/Falco, Dr Mario/Mario, Young Link/Link, and Marth/Roy. The only clone pairing I have a problem with is the Ganondorf/Captain Falcon one, and only because Ganondorf has so many potentially great moves to use from his roles in the Zelda titles that it seems kind of silly to give him all these punching and kicking moves that basically have nothing to do with his character. I would love to see Ganondorf in Brawl based on his TWW appearance, complete with the robe and dual swords. Failing that, his TP appearance with that giant sword and some projectile magic would also be pretty cool, and then obviously for either a Ganon transformation ala Giga Bowser would seal the deal.

Captain Falcon on the other hand better stay exactly as he is in Melee, knee and all. Don't mess with the awesome, Sakurai.

Jiggy

Meloche said:
If Mewtwo isn't going to be playable, I really hope that they make him a pokeball pokemon. I think Kevincow has the logic down for why Mewtwo would be cut, but he's still an awesome pokemon that deserves to not suck in a Smash Bros game.
Pretty much. At least as an item Mewtwo would be sure to wreak havoc, free from the fear of ending up bottom-tier.

The only clone pairing I have a problem with is the Ganondorf/Captain Falcon one, and only because Ganondorf has so many potentially great moves to use from his roles in the Zelda titles that it seems kind of silly to give him all these punching and kicking moves that basically have nothing to do with his character.
Pretty much. On its own, the way he controls in SSBM is pretty cool--but in the context of his character, not at all. Even in SSBM days when his only non-pig appearance had been Ocarina of Time, he still at least had magic shots and the ability to reflect them. And by now he's got far more at his disposal...

justchris

KevinCow said:
If we get clones, I hope they're at least more differentiated than the Melee clones. They should at least have one unique special move and a few unique standard attacks, as well as a unique Final Smash. And I don't want to see fast characters getting fast clones. If Fox, Falco, and Wolf are really in, and there's gotta be a clone, make wolf a slow, powerful version of Fox, maybe replace the side B with a slower attack, and give Falco a unique moveset. I think Ike is a good example for a "clone" of Marth. Slow and powerful with a couple of somewhat similar moves - the standard B is similar to the sword charge but with a different animation and less range, the up B is similar to Marth's in that it has very little horizontal recovery, and I believe his down B is counter. Or Ganondorf was a good clone of Captain Falcon, though if anyone retains his move set in Brawl, be it Deathborne or Black Shadow or Ganondorf himself, I hope they also have a few more unique moves.

Well, since I'm of the opinion that Ness is still in, I think that's what we'll get. Clones who are significantly differentiated from their originators both in speed/power/toughness and tweaks to their moveset. I want more of the Mario -> Luigi type clone, where they're similar, and have some of the same moves, but have some standard moves and special moves both which are different.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Pretty much. At least as an item Mewtwo would be sure to wreak havoc, free from the fear of ending up bottom-tier.

Still, I think that would be doing Two a disservice. I mean, to me, it wouldn't take much. His normals weren't ALL that bad (though they could certainly use a few buffs here and there), it's his specials that probably could stand to be overhauled. In my opinion, the only specials that he should keep are Shadow Ball and Teleport...everything else could stand to be replaced by much more bad-ass and/or up-to-date moves that would probably do more to represent the supposedly "the most savage of all Pokemon".

For instance, "Future Sight". "Psycho Cut". "Miracle Eye". Or hey, friggin' Psychic. And that's just stemming from the non-TM moves that Two could stand to use. There's really no excuse how Two ended up being so bad in Melee...but I would love to see him get a second chance.

Pretty much. On its own, the way he controls in SSBM is pretty cool--but in the context of his character, not at all. Even in SSBM days when his only non-pig appearance had been Ocarina of Time, he still at least had magic shots and the ability to reflect them. And by now he's got far more at his disposal...

And I STILL would like to see the Pig (Ganon) in this game. LttP would be preferred. :lol

But yeah, there's also no real excuse for Ganondorf to be a Falcon clone either. Even if they are stubborn, and stick with some of his normals from Melee, he really just needs an overhaul of his B-movelist.

Part of me wishes that it could be more like WW Ganondorf, and he could come in with twin blades. But I DOUBT that they'll have two iterations of Ganondorf; even my "Pig" wanton is probably hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom