• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
Well, I don't mean they'd have trouble actually executing the screenshots, but imagining them beforehand.

item04_070627e-l.jpg

Jiggy

TreIII said:
I'd imagine that sakurai and his bunch didn't get where they are by NOT being fairly imaginative.
I know. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in their meetings, though. :D

"Hey guys, for today I thought we could have Kirby take Samus' helmet and Zero Suit Samus can be trying to look for it somehow."
"Oh, good one! I was only thinking of Charizard eating a Super Mushroom and Pikachu getting scared and backing down."
"Yeah, that sounds okay cool but not super cool. We'll use it if we're ever at a loss for other stuff to put up for some reason."
*worker runs in*
"Guys, news from Sakurai! We're gonna have to delay the game. D: This means another couple months of updates, too."
"You know, I think your Charizard picture just got approved."

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Guled said:
When do you think we will find out the full roster? Wasn't the roster for SSBM leaked around 20 days before it came out?
I actually had a friend who visited NOA back during the summer before the Cube was released, and got to play a beta version of Melee but was NDA'd not to say anything.

However, he told me all of what he saw. Told me about Falco, Mewtwo, Gannondorf, Pichu, Young Link, an all black character based off of the Game & Watch games, and "two Japanese looking fighter guys from that Fire Emblem series". He told me all of this back during July, and the game didn't come out until November. Back over on the IGN boards back then they were taking bets on who would and would not be in the game. Guess who wound up winning that tournament :D

So there's probably folks out there who know precisely who is in, and who isn't. Its just that those who know aren't necessarily talking :D

Guled said:
When do you think we will find out the full roster? Wasn't the roster for SSBM leaked around 20 days before it came out?

I think the final roster was revealed in a japanese magazine called corocoro, but you can also find all the characters on smashbros.com.

Jiggy

JohnTinker said:
So there's probably folks out there who know precisely who is in, and who isn't. Its just that those who know aren't necessarily talking :D
And even if they did talk, nobody would believe them.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Jiggy37 said:
And even if they did talk, nobody would believe them.
As someone who was in a position like that before, its quite true. This time around though, I don't have those same connections as I and my friend did before :(

Minsc

Gold Member
sp0rsk said:
SO PUMPED. BUT THIS DOESN'T REALLY BELONG HERE.

Hopefully this is still true on the morning of the 7th!

It'd be a big disappointment if the brawl update for the return from the break was the commercial, well mainly because we've already seen it now, and I'm hoping for something real nice, like a new character, or confirmation of the total number of playable + unlockable characters.

EDIT: I see now I was beaten, once again. Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!

Guled

JohnTinker said:
I actually had a friend who visited NOA back during the summer before the Cube was released, and got to play a beta version of Melee but was NDA'd not to say anything.

However, he told me all of what he saw. Told me about Falco, Mewtwo, Gannondorf, Pichu, Young Link, an all black character based off of the Game & Watch games, and "two Japanese looking fighter guys from that Fire Emblem series". He told me all of this back during July, and the game didn't come out until November. Back over on the IGN boards back then they were taking bets on who would and would not be in the game. Guess who wound up winning that tournament :D

Lucky you. I so do wish that these people would talk. Its killing me that we are so close to the release date and don't any clue about the final roster.

TreIII

Guled said:
Lucky you. I so do wish that these people would talk. Its killing me that we are so close to the release date and don't any clue about the final roster.

I think it's good, though.

I mean, as much as the agony is killing me too, the fact that we're still basically in the dark only fuels my want for this game even more.

I hope this thread can be saved for the archives or something, because I think it will be nice, say, a year or two from now, that we'll be able to check back in and see just how wrong, right and/or how crazy we all were at one point... :D

TreIII said:

I mean, as much as the agony is killing me too, the fact that we're still basically in the dark only fuels my want for this game even more.

I hope this thread can be saved for the archives or something, because I think it will be nice, say, a year or two from now, that we'll be able to check back in and see just how wrong, right and/or how crazy we all were at one point... :D

I'm reminded how crazy I am every day.
:p

Jiggy

TreIII said:
Like anyone would look through it all.

>_>
<_<
>_>

On a more serious note, does GAF have backups? Because if not I might just have to embark on something crazy like manually saving every page of the thread myself.

Innotech

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
The one thing I love about Brawl the most is that I will never, ever, ever run out of stuff to unlock.

:>
well eventually you will but it will likely be several years down the line.
Then again Sakurai created a stage editor for this game. so really this game can go on for as long as nintendo supports the online feature. I think thats the most exciting part. custom stages.

Innotech said:
Then again Sakurai created a stage editor for this game. so really this game can go on for as long as nintendo supports the online feature. I think thats the most exciting part. custom stages.

No, I will never be done. Ever.

Guled

TreIII said:

Yes thats true. I wouldn't be as excited if I knew everything. Also, has there ever been a bigger thread then this before.

Jiggy

Innotech said:
Yeah, well, well, well, maybe Sakurai's trained a few of his underlings--who, unlike him, won't be leaving Nintendo afterward--to update the game with downloadable unlockable content all the time. So there. >_>

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, well, well, well, maybe Sakurai's trained a few of his underlings--who, unlike him, won't be leaving Nintendo afterward--to update the game with downloadable unlockable content all the time. So there. >_>

Also, I doubt that Sakurai's departure will be real. Artistic integrity and all that noble jazz is one thing, but money is still the thing that he'll be probably concerned with if he wants to stay in this industry.

Besides, I believe he's already signed up for the next Mario game's development, or at least I thought so...?

Jiggy

TreIII said:
Also, I doubt that Sakurai's departure will be real. Artistic integrity and all that noble jazz is one thing, but money is still the thing that he'll be probably concerned with if he wants to stay in this industry.
I don't know, I kind of agree with the general thread consensus (like 600 pages ago or something :lol) that after Brawl, Sakurai would probably be a highly-sought talent by anyone and compensated very well...

Besides, I believe he's already signed up for the next Mario game's development, or at least I thought so...?
D-does this mean a chance to actually see a great 3D Mario? :eek:

I'm not joking.
Edit:
But I won't say any more. No derail here. :D

You know what this game needs? A Wobuffet Assist Trophy. Basically if you have one he Shadow Tags you back into the match any time you're about to be knocked out.

This game will last me all year.

This game will last me 0 seconds because I'm most likely not buying it.

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
You know what this game needs? A Wobuffet Assist Trophy. Basically if you have one he Shadow Tags you back into the match any time you're about to be knocked out.
There's already a Wobbuffet and it sucks. :( But yeah, that mechanic would be pretty cool.

This game will last me 0 seconds because I'm most likely not buying it.
Well, if you divide the amount of time you'll spend playing it against the amount of money you spent buying it, which is zero, then you get--
--well, whatever is supposed to be mathematically represented when you divide by zero. I need to get around to looking that up some day.

I want Nintendo to buy Meteos and have Sakurai make Meteos 2 and Meteos Wii.

But of course, he's gotta make sure that he doesn't overdo it.

Really, we just need a WiiWare Meteos and a DS Meteos, both with online play, create-a-character, and as many unlockables as Melee.

Jiggy

Really, we just need a WiiWare Meteos and a DS Meteos, both with online play, create-a-character, and as many unlockables as Melee.
I don't know, I can't imagine Meteos working without the touch screen. Unless they slowed it down significantly, but half the fun is having things speed up so you can trigger those crazy sound effects three times a second until eventually you get owned.
But yeah, a true second Meteos without that lame Disney branding would be wonderful.

Edit: I wonder if Sakurai saw fit to include any Meteos stuff in Brawl. :eek: I want some crazy aliens to launch meteos under me.

Jiggy37 said:
Well, if you divide the amount of time you'll spend playing it against the amount of money you spent buying it, which is zero, then you get--
--well, whatever is supposed to be mathematically represented when you divide by zero. I need to get around to looking that up some day.

See? SSBB works wonders.

Jiggy37 said:
I don't know, I can't imagine Meteos working without the touch screen. Unless they slowed it down significantly, but half the fun is having things speed up so you can trigger those crazy sound effects three times a second until eventually you get owned.
But yeah, a true second Meteos without that lame Disney branding would be wonderful.

Edit: I wonder if Sakurai saw fit to include any Meteos stuff in Brawl. :eek: I want some crazy aliens to launch meteos under me.

Fuck that. Playable Geolyte.

Also, you know what'd rock? Meteos with Nintendo characters.

Innotech

Banned
I dont have a clue who half of the new pokemon are or even the names of the ones in SSBM. there are just too fucking many to keep track of.

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
Sakurai's working on a Mario game?

I demand more information.

It's an (unconfirmed) rumor that I've heard at a number of places, including Smash Boards and some JP sites.

If it has any word of truth, it would just give more rise to the notion that Sakurai is probably going to be staying in the Nintendo camp longer than some people would have originally imagined.

Plus, it would be kind of funny if it went along with the idea of what Miyamoto was talking about in this interview (the same one where Sakurai confirmed that Hideo Kojima practically begged him to put Snake in the game, as well as Sakurai and Miyamoto's difference of opinion when it came to Smash's initial focus):

Shigeru Miyamoto: "...And one thing I always wanted to do with a Mario game, for many years, is have one player play as Mario and for other players to join in and play, and help out and that sort of thing. And with the way the Wii remote works, given that we can have up to four remotes using the player functionality simultaneously, one thing we're looking at doing for Super Mario Galaxy is allowing for multiplayer that would allow for one player to control Mario with the second, third and fourth players using the Wii remote to help him out, perhaps get in his way - and so we're looking at different ideas with how to work with that. And that sort of functionality implemented into past games could make for some very exciting changes."

Given that SSE mode looks to be doing a lot of that already, I think that it would be a good basis for Sakurai to lend his touch to a Mario game, were that it were true.

And while I'm at it, here's the "Sakurai vs. Miyamoto" quote:

Nintendo: Will the single-player of Super Smash Bros. be the same as it was on the GameCube?

Masahiro Sakurai: No, we're going to change it. I think we're going to try and make a single-player mode that people can enjoy a little bit more than perhaps they did on the GameCube.

Shigeru Miyamoto: This is actually something Mr Sakurai and I have had a difference of opinion on since the very first Smash Bros. game. Mr Sakurai always wanted to have a very deep single-player game, and on the N64 version I just said to him, you know, we've got plenty of very deep single-player games, why don't you hurry up and just focus on multiplayer and don't worry about the single-player. And Mr Sakurai said no, no, no, I want to have some kind of single-player in there so I just said well, make it really short so we can focus on multiplayer and get the game done. And we kind of did a little bit of that on the GameCube, but a bit more single-player than that. This time we're getting a lot of time to focus on Smash Bros., plenty of time to develop it, so people can expect a very robust single-player game.

- http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2131

Jiggy

Also, you know what'd rock? Meteos with Nintendo characters.
Meteos from Zebes, SR-388, Tallon IV, and most importantly Popstar. :O

That difference of opinion reminds me of a previous post I wanted to reply to yesterday, but never got around to...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9169486&postcount=49625

TreIII said:
Miyamoto has been recently quoted that he "wanted Sakurai to focus on the MP aspects" of the game, which is why we probably why we've gotten Smash as we know it today, instead of something like the "Subspace Emissary" from the jump.

It would have been interesting if circumstances were otherwise. Maybe Smash Bros. would have been more like Guardian Heroes, in a way, where the story mode was the real meat and potatoes, and the multiplayer would have evolved into something serious down the road...
It's really an interesting thing to ponder, but I couldn't reply right away yesterday because I wasn't sure how I would have reacted. On the one hand, each of the games in the series has, at one point, been my favorite game ever, and I expect Brawl to follow in that tradition. I wouldn't want to lose that individual quality (even though the games do have an unfortunate tendency to decimate their predecessors into irrelevancy).

On the other, suppose that Smash Bros. had really been a story-oriented single-player experience from the beginning and still turned out to be a success. That could have meant more developers seeing money in making 2D games on home consoles over the past eight years, as opposed to right now where everybody's scared to make one because there's this perception that they won't sell (even though nobody's actually put out a major 2D game lately to prove or disprove this theory).

Eight years of potentially more 2D home console games versus three of my definite favorite overall games anywhere... Even after a day of thinking about it, I can't decide which route I would have preferred.

Maybe I'll figure it out after I see whether Jigglypuff was incorporated into Subspace Emissary or they just left her as a character outside adventure mode. :p I'm sure she would have been in on the story if they had started that going in the N64 days, but by now I don't know if they trust that people would want her in there developing a personality. :lol

Meloche

Alright Firestorm, I see your Kirby and I raise you Electrode.
Firestorm said:
item12_071120e-l.jpg

Jiggy37 said:
You get nothing, because you can't divide by zero. Short proof:

21 / 7 = 3
3 x 7 = 21

Those operations need to be reversible by the nature of multiplication and division. With zero, it doesn't work:

7 / 0 = ?
? x 0 = 7

It doesn't matter what ? is [assuming you're giving it an arbitrary value] because anything times zero is zero. You can't get back to 7, so the operation makes no sense. Hence, you cannot get an answer by dividing by zero. Answer = DNE undefined.

This all pertains to the Dojo because the 7th day in January is the day that the Dojo updates resume. Yeah, that's it...

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
On the other, suppose that Smash Bros. had really been a story-oriented single-player experience from the beginning and still turned out to be a success. That could have meant more developers seeing money in making 2D games on home consoles over the past eight years, as opposed to right now where everybody's scared to make one because there's this perception that they won't sell (even though nobody's actually put out a major 2D game lately to prove or disprove this theory).

Eight years of potentially more 2D home console games versus three of my definite favorite overall games anywhere... Even after a day of thinking about it, I can't decide which route I would have preferred.

It's funny when you think of it in that light.

But even so...as much as I would have loved for "choice a" to be a possibility, I couldn't see it that way. Plenty of others have tried to suggest something similar (for instance, Guardian Heroes and other games of that ilk), and it didn't affect the industry in that light. I couldn't have imagined Nintendo's product doing anything similar.

What I COULD have seen, is that maybe Smash, if it evolved in Sakurai's way, would be that it could have been something that we might have been able to look forward to more often, because new characters would mean possibly new storyline arcs and the gameplay engine being tweaked more for each sequel.

In other words, I could easily see Smash possibly becoming more like a rudimentary Ninty franchise that got half-way regular updates every year or so, as opposed to the like "once every generation" deal we got now.

Would that have been necessarily better? I can't tell you. But it would have be interesting to see how such a "What If" could have played out...

Jiggy

The thing about the Electrode is that it's super awesome, but there's nothing really special about the way the screenshot was taken. >_> It's not like, say, this carefully-posed excellence:

bowser_070704b-l.jpg

Meloche said:
You get nothing, because you can't divide by zero. Short proof:

21 / 7 = 3
3 x 7 = 21

Those operations need to be reversible by the nature of multiplication and division. With zero, it doesn't work:

7 / 0 = ?
? x 0 = 7

It doesn't matter what ? is [assuming you're giving it an arbitrary value] because anything times zero is zero. You can't get back to 7, so the operation makes no sense. Hence, you cannot get an answer by dividing by zero. Answer = DNE [does not exist].
Mind is blown. :eek:
But wait! Perhaps ? is an imaginary number. I mean, it works for people who want to come up with the square root of a negative number, after all. :D

(Alright, alright, no more derail from here on. >_>)

Edit:
TreIII said:
It's funny when you think of it in that light.

But even so...as much as I would have loved for "choice a" to be a possibility, I couldn't see it that way. Plenty of others have tried to suggest something similar (for instance, Guardian Heroes and other games of that ilk), and it didn't affect the industry in that light. I couldn't have imagined Nintendo's product doing anything similar.
Well, it would still have had the full Nintendo cast and the power of fanservice backing it, so I could see some more potential there to generate a load of sales. (As opposed to, say, Little Big Planet, which I think will be superb but ultimately not shake the industry in any particular way.) And when Nintendo does something new and bizarre and successful, it seems to me that at the very least, lame knockoffs start to show up, like all the Brain Age clones and the Petz line and such.

What I COULD have seen, is that maybe Smash, if it evolved in Sakurai's way, would be that it could have been something that we might have been able to look forward to more often, because new characters would mean possibly new storyline arcs and the gameplay engine being tweaked more for each sequel.

In other words, I could easily see Smash possibly becoming more like a rudimentary Ninty franchise that got half-way regular updates every year or so, as opposed to the like "once every generation" deal we got now.
You've got a point there, and it would be awesome, but one thing: I don't think Sakurai would do it. I don't remember exactly where I read it (maybe one of the pre-Dojo Brawl blogs?), but there was an interview or something where he said that one of the things that frustrated him as a game developer was that people always expected sequels even though the developer might not want to produce another one.
I mean, I guess Nintendo could carry on the hypothetical single-player Smash adventures without him, since Kirby's still going, but just like Kirby, I think they'd kind of pale compared to the true Sakurai games. Nothing against Kirby and the Amazing Mirror or Kirby Squeak Squad, though--love them both, and if Nintendo was producing single-player Smash quality on those lines every year and a half or so I'd be one very, very happy person. It's just that they wouldn't be quite so unreachably classic without Sakurai...

Dreavus

RagnarokX said:
Well they've definitely been a great source for photoshopping material. I'm gonna miss them :(
hammeredkirby1.jpg

NO KIRBY, YOU'RE ONLY HURTING YOURSELF! =(

You know I'm still debating whether I'll even attempt a blackout. The Dojo's siren song of updates will be probably be too powerful to resist though...

RagnarokX

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
CreatureX3 said:
Yep, there are so many great photoshops in this thread!

180px-SSBX.png

:lol

Holy shit, how did I miss that? that is so wrong on so many levels, yet it is totally full of win. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom