• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wii-za

Since when do we got math and calculus in here?

Also, do you guys think that only Jiggy can make stats? You ain seen nothin'!! =P

Ahem...

When are we getting the first 50000th post in NeoGAFs history?

According to the patterns we have seen in the last few weeks, the post will arrive just minutes AFTER the next DOJO update...why? Lets see:

1. From page 980 to 990 (10-page) there were a total of 133 hours and 47 min in there.

2. From page 990 to 993 (4-page) there were 21 hours and 49 min in there.

3. From page 994 to 997 (4-page) there were 24 hours and 53 min in there.

So what does all of this means?

1. ~13.3 hrs/page
2. ~5.25 hrs/page
3. ~6.00 hrs/page

At the beginning of the hiatus, +12 hours where needed to fill a page in this thread...as people started to see how close to the 50000th mark they were, they started to post more and more, getting to the 5.25 rate. But now, as we are a mere 3 pages from there, people are afraid of contributing to the thread because they are making OTHER people be closer to the epic mark. So the rate has slowed to 6.00.

Finally, if this rate continues, we will be arriving to the 1000th page in the dawn of Jan 7th...when the world (and NeoGAF servers) will collapse and this thread will go down to oblivion.

Ok?

P.S. I think I need some sleep...

P.P.S. How about making a pact that we are gonna wait until the next update to reach that mark? Anyone?

Tim-E

RoboPlato said:
I haven't really been following this thread because of the vacation but reading back over what I missed brings back lots of school bus memories (Missingno and the Pokemon rumors mainly). Jiggy, I must also commend you on the stats that you've done since the break began.

Anyway, I'm going to get an early start on my prediction for the 7th. Game Mode: Arcade
It will confirm a bunch of minigames that you unlock in SSE and show a virtual arcade that you walk through and can play the all of the unlocked games. Games like Balloon Fight and Ice Climbers will also be included.

Why would they give those away when they could have you buy them on virtual console right now instead? :p

TreIII

RoboPlato said:
I haven't really been following this thread because of the vacation but reading back over what I missed brings back lots of school bus memories (Missingno and the Pokemon rumors mainly). Jiggy, I must also commend you on the stats that you've done since the break began.

Anyway, I'm going to get an early start on my prediction for the 7th. Game Mode: Arcade
It will confirm a bunch of minigames that you unlock in SSE and show a virtual arcade that you walk through and can play the all of the unlocked games. Games like Balloon Fight and Ice Climbers will also be included.

Well, I think I'll see your Arcade, and raise you a Character Unveil. Veteran or Newbie, a lot of places (including Japanese BBS's) are predicting that monday's revelation will be a good one.

Besides, one way or the other, a new character revelation would finally take the total of characters on the dojo to 24. Which would go hand in hand with how the recent commercials have been showcasing characters in 4...leading to the belief that there will probably be 6 commercials...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tim-E said:
Why would they give those away when they could have you buy them on virtual console right now instead? :p
It'll similar situation to Animal Crossing. Even though several of those games were released in the GameBoy Classics line, they were still in Animal Crossing. Metroid was also unlockable in Metroid Prime and Zero Mission. This also isn't too serious of a prediction, just one of the few Megatons I could think of that wouldn't be a character.

On an unrelated note, for those that prefer the SSB64 Falcon Punch, here's a video for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWvpvowF1-A

Scribble

TreIII said:
Well, I think I'll see your Arcade, and raise you a Character Unveil. Veteran or Newbie, a lot of places (including Japanese BBS's) are predicting that monday's revelation will be a good one.

Besides, one way or the other, a new character revelation would finally take the total of characters on the dojo to 24. Which would go hand in hand with how the recent commercials have been showcasing characters in 4...leading to the belief that there will probably be 6 commercials...

Oh, that would be exciting. I wonder who it could be. I have a feeling it could be either Krystal, Geno, A 3rd party character from a 3rd party franchise, Bowser Jr, Ridley, Olimar or Sheik. If Takamaru, Skapon, or Tingle are in, we won't know about it till we unlock them, and it isn't a coincidence that the original SSB unlockables haven't been shown yet -- I doubt we'll see them till the game is out, too. Except maybe Captain Falcon, I dunno.

Can't wait!

TreIII

Scribble said:
Oh, that would be exciting. I wonder who it could be. I have a feeling it could be either Krystal, Geno, A 3rd party character from a 3rd party franchise, Bowser Jr, Ridley, Olimar or Sheik. If Takamaru, Skapon, or Tingle are in, we won't know about it till we unlock them, and it isn't a coincidence that the original SSB unlockables haven't been shown yet -- I doubt we'll see them till the game is out, too. Except maybe Captain Falcon, I dunno.

Can't wait!

My gut feeling would lead me to believe that it would be a newbie, more than likely (well, if nothing else, we got that rather questionable blank next to Dedede in the Newbies box).

Now, who would be in, I couldn't tell you.

Also...no Tingle. He's been confirmed as an AT.

Scribble

TreIII said:
My gut feeling would lead me to believe that it would be a newbie, more than likely (well, if nothing else, we got that rather questionable blank next to Dedede in the Newbies box).

Now, who would be in, I couldn't tell you.

Also...no Tingle. He's been confirmed as an AT.

...W-w-where?

Sciz

He appeared to play the same as he did in Melee, but I noticed that he was able to swallow some of the items and gain abilities from them. The only item I got to see him suck up was the Fire Flower, which enabled Kirby to spit fire out (pretty identical to his Bowser hat in Melee). I was told that not all items can be swallowed for special abilities, though.

Sakurai is reading my mind and I love it.

# MORE MUSIC CONFIRMED: Yoshi's Island has songs called "Ending BGM" and "Athletic". Norfair has "Brinstar BGM", "Samus's Theme", and "Metroid Ending Theme". Bridge of Eldin has "Great Bay".

READING. MY. MIND.

Jiggy

*goes to update the anathema characters list to say Tingle is out*
Oh, hey, nobody actually hated on Tingle in the first place. :eek:

Wii-za said:
According to the patterns we have seen in the last few weeks, the post will arrive just minutes AFTER the next DOJO update...why? Lets see:

1. From page 980 to 990 (10-page) there were a total of 133 hours and 47 min in there.

2. From page 990 to 993 (4-page) there were 21 hours and 49 min in there.

3. From page 994 to 997 (4-page) there were 24 hours and 53 min in there.

So what does all of this means?

1. ~13.3 hrs/page
2. ~5.25 hrs/page
3. ~6.00 hrs/page
Great post!
I guess we've got to speed up or something. I'll try my level best to come up with new content while staying on topic.

Tim-E

:lol The Tingle AT sounds awesome.

Also, Raiden :eek:

I wonder what Snake's final smash is. I don't think it has anything to do with calling Metal Gears out or anything, as they seem to randomly show up in the Shadow Moses stage.

Teasel

Tim-E said:
:lol The Tingle AT sounds awesome.

Also, Raiden :eek:

I wonder what Snake's final smash is. I don't think it has anything to do with calling Metal Gears out or anything, as they seem to randomly show up in the Shadow Moses stage.

he could attract soldiers by tapping a wall and they shot everything in sight

Jiggy

Even if the Dojo weren't on vacation, it's still a Saturday and they wouldn't be updating anyway. >_> Way to spin things positive, GT dude!
Nah, I kid, I kid; I love GameTrailers. :D Actually picked up Metroid Prime 3 through there--good stuff.

Innotech said:
Im still wondering all this time exactly what the delay was all about. Did Sakurai ever mention why?
Maybe when the Iwata Asks thing comes around we'll find out. Or at least I hope so--it would be interesting to know. I remember reading once that Goldeneye 007 was delayed partly to add a small little feature known as multiplayer, and ever since then I've just kind of assumed that developers I like are delaying for very good reasons.

TreIII

Teasel said:
he could attract soldiers by tapping a wall and they shot everything in sight

If they were going to use real-world guns, that's a big no-no. We can't have knives, rudimentary/realistic guns and such in Smash.

Maybe something funky with Psycho Mantis, and a whole bunch of funky QTEs that everyone else has to follow in order to not take damage?

"Ahhhh...you like Smash Bros. don't you?" :lol

Innotech said:
Im still wondering all this time exactly what the delay was all about. Did Sakurai ever mention why?

I think it was to polish it a bit more, but also spread out their titles.
I mean, having Brawl right after Galaxy is overkill.
But having a big title every couple of months is a much smarter move (one they needed on the GC).

Innotech said:
Sakurai simply said he needs more time to work on the game.

It was a two month delay, so I doubt it was to add more characters or anything. They probably discovered some sort of flaw with online and Sakurai needed time to fix it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Innotech said:
I'm thinking that it was to space out major releases, as well as adding general polish and some more balancing.

pulga

Banned
Raiden AT? Yet another Katana wielding, slash at everything Assist Trophy? C'mon Sakurai, you have a better imagination than this. This shit better be false. Also applies to Tingle, who better drop bombs up from the sky and not just be standing there doing a little jig.

Meloche

pulga said:
Also applies to Tingle, who better drop bombs up from the sky and not just be standing there doing a little jig.
I think it'd be hilarious if he just ran around the stage beating people over the head with a rolled up map. It wouldn't do much damage, but could be similar to the fan in that you have a hard time getting out of it.

I was going to say he could be the dud AT the same way that Goldeen is the dud Pokeball Pokemon, but then I remembered we already have Stafy and Resetti for that.

HURGHT

Man God said:
Most sound effects were better in 64. Those nice chunky hits and all. It seems that the Brawl team agrees with this sentiment as the sound effects are a lot more robust this time around.

I wonder if NoA will license the lightsaber noise this time around or play it safe again.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29405.html - Mario uses the beam sword at about :06. It actually sounds pretty close to the normal "light saber" sort of humming noise, as opposed to the sort of electrical sound they used to have for the beam sword.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HURGHT said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29405.html - Mario uses the beam sword at about :06. It actually sounds pretty close to the normal "light saber" sort of humming noise, as opposed to the sort of electrical sound they used to have for the beam sword.

Ever play the japanese version of the original? I have, a lot in fact. Lightsaber noises. Same with Kirby 64, if I remember correctly.

Japan must have different laws when it comes to sound effects, because they always change it up when they bring it over here...

TreIII

Man God said:
Japan must have different laws when it comes to sound effects, because they always change it up when they bring it over here...

It's true, but it's more often that, for territories like Japan, the powers that be are more willing to "look the other way". That's why the Doujin (fan-made) market exists as it does, for the most part.

Unlike America, where "lawsuit" and "legal red tape" are two things that American kids should probably stand to get to learning about by the time they're in Kindergarten. :lol

Innotech

Banned
TreIII said:
It's true, but it's more often that, for territories like Japan, the powers that be are more willing to "look the other way". That's why the Doujin (fan-made) market exists as it does, for the most part.

Unlike America, where "lawsuit" and "legal red tape" are two things that American kids should probably stand to get to learning about by the time they're in Kindergarten. :lol
there was an article in wired recently about how the doujin market is actually keeping manga alive in Japan.

Jiggy

flipping_heck said:
Giga Bowser just seems so overpowered its unfunny..
It's a final smash, it should be fine.

...Although, hey, if a lot of final smashes end up broken or overpowered compared to other final smashes, that'll make me a happy person since they'll just be that much more likely to get banned from tournaments. :D

Milabrega

So we've had the Wifi Update and the Tournament mode update. Any indication on a way to set up a tournament on the Wifi? If there is an online tournament mode, think the matches are played one by one with other tournament members on spectator mode or Round by Round, where all round matches are played at once?

Jiggy

Milabrega said:
So we've had the Wifi Update and the Tournament mode update. Any indication on a way to set up a tournament on the Wifi?
Not yet, sadly. Sucks since we already know we'll be doing GAF tournaments somehow or other--it would be nice to have an official setup for it.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Oh snapz! 2 player Wifi confirmed with this video!:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y57J62IMnuA

This means you and a friend in the same room can go online and battle! (The video shows this being done in team mode, hopefully it works in free for all as well)

This is GREAT news... something I was really hoping for!

Dreavus

MrCheez said:

This means you and a friend in the same room can go online and battle! (The video shows this being done in team mode, hopefully it works in free for all as well)

YES! This is excellent news!

Ever since Mario Strikers Charged did it, I've always been wondering if Smash would follow suit with a 2-players-on-one-console-online option... and it appears the answer is yes. :D

monkey79

Still no Pikmin assist trophies... Still no Duck Hunt assist trophies... Captain Olimar and Laughing Dog have got to be playable!

Jiggy

Wonder if they got three online players on one console working. (Four would be out for obvious reasons, of course. >_>)

monkey79 said:
Captain Olimar and Laughing Dog have got to be playable!
I think Pikachu and Ivysaur are filling up the four-legged character quota. :p

Jiggy

Milabrega said:
Laughing Dog Stands on Two Feet, with one duck clutched by each of his mighty hands.
I can't believe it, but you've just managed to convince me I want Laughing Dog playable too. :eek:

MrCheez said:

Wow. Brawl just keeps getting better and better with every new piece of information revealed! :D

pulga

Banned
MrCheez said:

Monday update CONFIRMED

Most excellent of news, by the way, good sir.

HURGHT

Man God said:
Most sound effects were better in 64. Those nice chunky hits and all. It seems that the Brawl team agrees with this sentiment as the sound effects are a lot more robust this time around.

I remember a while back, when we had that Snake blowout update, one of my favorite things about it was the quality of the sound effects in the gameplay video as mario and snake beat up on each other. Snake's slams, especially, seem to have these loud, ringing BOOMS. It's great. I hope the rest of the game has such good sound design.

HURGHT said:
I remember a while back, when we had that Snake blowout update, one of my favorite things about it was the quality of the sound effects in the gameplay video as mario and snake beat up on each other. Snake's slams, especially, seem to have these loud, ringing BOOMS. It's great. I hope the rest of the game has such good sound design.

I love that movie.

KevinCow

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
...Although, hey, if a lot of final smashes end up broken or overpowered compared to other final smashes, that'll make me a happy person since they'll just be that much more likely to get banned from tournaments. :D
Why would you take pleasure from castrating Sakurai's child?

Milabrega said:
Laughing Dog Stands on Two Feet, with one duck clutched by each of his mighty hands.
Duck in one hand.

Zapper in the other.

He holds the duck by its feet and slaps people with it, and makes it fly for his up special.

Jiggy

KevinCow said:
Why would you take pleasure from castrating Sakurai's child?
I want full casual tournaments and full hardcore tournaments, one with all items and one with none. The idea of something hybridized where the only items allowed are final smashes doesn't strike me--seems to water down the message of either other style. But to me it seems like a dangerous possibility right now. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom