• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Leaving items on takes away from the characters whose movesets are more projectile-heavy or who have good attack range (since, with items on, everybody has access to super projectiles and items with longer range than even DK's arms or Marth's sword), though, so it all works out.

Milabrega

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Why did GameFly change the release date to 3/12/08?

Tv spots should be a good indicator that there will be no delay
You can argue that metroid was in the Wii commercials for months before it was released, but I'd counter that those commercials were for the system primarily and didn't promo the game
. There's been three retail websites who've changed their dates this past week, all of which have varying dates. Any delay at this point from NoA wouldn't be a TBD date where these sites would put a placeholder, they would likely all have the same new date. That info would also have likely leaked to the media by now or a special event. Its likey its some server error, change. So don't worry Brawl is still on its way January 24th or February 10th, or TBD for you poor pal guys.

MrCheez said:
Oh snapz! 2 player Wifi confirmed with this video!:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y57J62IMnuA

This means you and a friend in the same room can go online and battle! (The video shows this being done in team mode, hopefully it works in free for all as well)

This is GREAT news... something I was really hoping for!

this may sound stupid, but I wonder if a CC plugged into a Wiimote could constitute as 2 different controllers in the game.

TreIII

Dark Ninja said:
asked this in the comercials thread but that thread died

Is pokemon trainer's Voice Actor Ash/Satoshi's VA from the JP anime?

Nope, she's not.

PT's seiyuu is confirmed to be Yumiko Kobayashi (who's actually a part of the Excel Saga trio, if any otaku here are familiar with that). Satoshi/Ash's seiyuu is Rica Matsumoto.

I guess they really wanted to make sure that Red/PokeTra was a different personality from Satoshi. But as long as they bring back Masachika Ichimura and Daisuke Namikawa to reprise Mewtwo and Lucario respectively (assuming either or both of the two are in), I could care less. :D

Jiggy

doogles said:
So what have you guys been doing all week?
Crying, because no updates means no joy. ;_; Thankfully it resumes tomorrow and we can all start believing life is worthwhile again.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Crying, because no updates means no joy. ;_; Thankfully it resumes tomorrow and we can all start believing life is worthwhile again.

Oh, come now, Jigs, be reasonable!

Even though we haven't had updates, thanks to the blurbs from Smash Boards and such, we've gotten more info from JumpFesta, as well as not 1, not 2, not 3....but a total of 4 commercials relating to Smash Bros. That ain't bad, considering I was thinking at one point that this was going to be a flop of a week totally. :lol

So, for us not to be able to huddle around and guess what Sakurai was going to surprise us with next on the Dojo, I think we've done pretty well...and this topic has almost reached its 1000 page of text. The Dojo update should be more than enough to suffice for that...

Fireblend

Banned
I actually think we've got way more information from various sources this week than what we would have gotten with a week's worth of updates... I guess it doesn't feel as rewarding, tho :lol Still it's really near Japanese release now, I would have expected a full leak by now, Melee stuff did leak around this time, they're doing a damn fine job hiding all the details and having us wanting the tiniest bit of info.

Still I'm expecting a big leak soon. If this launches and there's been no leak, I'll be surprised.

Jiggy

Fireblend said:
I actually think we've got way more information from various sources this week than what we would have gotten with a week's worth of updates... I guess it doesn't feel as rewarding, tho :lol
If I didn't have to stay up late, it's not news. >_>

Nah, but seriously, the Jump Festa stuff was actually pretty great to hear. And I agree on being surprised we haven't gotten more leaked than this by now.

Rambaldi

This JF info is nice, but I want more pics. Can't wait until "tomorrow" night. Hahaha.

I want a Zeldaton. As in the Princess, not the series.

pulga

Banned
I guess tonight is the night we break 1000 pages? If someone spurs interesting discussion, it might happen.

Jiggy

I don't see page 1000 happening until tomorrow, even if we're talking in, like, whatever time zone Hawaii exists in. Only about three more hours to make it for Pacific time. >_>

Edit: Random quasi-related tangent: preordered SSBB tonight, so it just managed to sneak in as my first gaming purchase of 2008--it was looking like a really close call, what with Star Tropics showing up on VC this Monday.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
I don't see page 1000 happening until tomorrow, even if we're talking in, like, whatever time zone Hawaii exists in. Only about three more hours to make it for Pacific time. >_>

Edit: Random quasi-related tangent: preordered SSBB tonight, so it just managed to sneak in as my first gaming purchase of 2008--it was looking like a really close call, what with Star Tropics showing up on VC this Monday.

Hmmm....I think I'll wait until ST2 comes out, and snag 'em both at the same time.

But any way, if it doesn't happen tonight, it'll definitely happen by or before the Dojo update. No denying that.

Even Nintendo haters gotta realize this is going to be one of the biggest releases in '08. It's just gotta be in many top 10s, if not top 5s. I dunno if it'll make it into any GOTY, but it'll be GOTF in my heart (till the next SSB:Riotous Mob).

Tonjevic

HotByCold said:
Alright, I've posted this before but since it's still there I'll do it again

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/index.html

The UK site don't have an Wi-fi Connection icon like the other sites!!!

I honestly doubt that it's indicative of anything. Strikers was fully playable online for the PAL regions.

Perhaps Nintendo of Europe and Australia etc. are upgrading their infrastructure to deal with the strain that Smash will put on it, and as a result don't have a predictable timeframe as to when the online component will actually be up.

Nah.

KevinCow

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Even Nintendo haters gotta realize this is going to be one of the biggest releases in '08. It's just gotta be in many top 10s, if not top 5s. I dunno if it'll make it into any GOTY, but it'll be GOTF in my heart (till the next SSB:Riotous Mob).
It'll only be in top 10 on stupid NINTARDS' lists.

Jiggy

FlightOfHeaven said:
Yeah, probably not. Reviewers will be like "lol 2D gameplay," and thus the most-awesome home console disc of 2008 as well as a strong runner-up contender, SSBB and LittleBigPlanet, are already screwed. :(

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:

I looked at my pre-order receipt again today. I pre-ordered on March 8th, 2006 =(

Guled

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, probably not. Reviewers will be like "lol 2D gameplay," and thus the most-awesome home console disc of 2008 as well as a strong runner-up contender, SSBB and LittleBigPlanet, are already screwed. :(
As much as I'm going to love SSBB and LBP, MGS is for sure going to be my GOTY (and I'm willing to bet that most sites will also pick it). SSBB will most likely get trashed more so for being more of the same, and bad online then having 2d gameplay (if SF4 won't get bashed, SSBB also won't). Even though I don't agree with that, reviewers tend to look for what is wrong with a game instead of what it gets right.

Jiggy

Milabrega said:
First time over at smashboards And i found this [link edited out since it does include something that's banned >_>]

Its a make your own roster tool. Some character icons, like Chrono are under neither others on the border.
I kicked out Mario, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, K. Rool, Link, Fox, Krystal, and Balloon Fighter and replaced them with Jill (Drill Dozer), Midna, Kamek, Bomberman, Crono, Black Shadow, the Elite Beat Agents, Lolo and Lala, and Simon Belmont. It's like the game instantly improved. :eek:

Guled said:
SSBB will most likely get trashed more so for being more of the same, and bad online then having 2d gameplay (if SF4 won't get bashed, SSBB also won't). Even though I don't agree with that, reviewers tend to look for what is wrong with a game instead of what it gets right.
Yeah, pretty much.
But I didn't mean Brawl would necessarily get criticized for 2D gameplay so much as that it would be dismissed as a GOTY contender for that reason. It's the whole "it's on a system that can do 3D, therefore it should be 3D" mentality. (Similar mentalities are plaguing DS games that don't use the touch screen or Wii games that don't use Wii functions, of course... Like, for example, IGN and Gamespot both implying that Mii support would have improved Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. :| Wut.)

Ceres

Banned
Firestorm said:
I looked at my pre-order receipt again today. I pre-ordered on March 8th, 2006 =(

LoZ:TP - Preordered GC version sometime summer of 04 at Best Buy. Picked up Wii version January 2007. Yes, I somehow managed not to loose the receipt.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, pretty much.
But I didn't mean Brawl would necessarily get criticized for 2D gameplay so much as that it would be dismissed as a GOTY contender for that reason. It's the whole "it's on a system that can do 3D, therefore it should be 3D" mentality.

You never know though. As many 3D graphics whores as there are out there in the "professional reviewership", there are also seemingly a good number of those who would like nothing more than a return of the past. Y'know, the same type of people who continue to champion the cause for the likes of Castlevania and Rockman to be in 2D HD, that Mario Allstars is one of the best things that ever happened to gaming, that there needs to be "another Super Metrioid" (where's Metroid Dread? :D) and such things of that nature. For those people, I think Smash Bros. will be the answer to their prayers in more reasons than one, especially given how the game does seem to have a some-what in-depth platformer mode.

If Smash ends up getting picked over the likes of Spore, MGS4, Fallout 3 and such, it will probably be due more to how those games may have just raised the bar in some other areas (especially in the likes of Spore and Fallout 3's case), rather than just because it's in 3D and justifies the spending of high end consoles/graphic cards.

Or at least, that's what I would hope. I would rather Smash lose out to games that stand to do more to bring innovation to the industry, rather than just another game that adds a bit more content and a fresh coat of paint to the package deal. I mean, if you let that game win, then that's a fallacy.

Me and a couple friends of mine played some meele today for about 4 hours. I cant beleive Brawl is basically a month away and we are still playing that game...its crazy :lol

KevinCow

Banned
AceBandage said:
Math and magic.
mathmagic.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
BlueSummers said:
Me and a couple friends of mine played some meele today for about 4 hours. I cant beleive Brawl is basically a month away and we are still playing that game...its crazy :lol

Only gamecube game I still play. Actually, I've been playing more as Ness lately, really can't wait to start playing as Lucas :D

Also, are we sure the forum's engine can manage displaying 1000 pages in the same thread? Or are we ~30 posts away of breaking GAF? :lol

Tonjevic

It'll be an Assist Trophy.

As much as I'm inclined to hope for a good update, I think they'll just give us some crap that we already know from the Jump Fiesta.

Jiggy

FlightOfHeaven said:
It's a shame, really, but it definitely won't take away from the series. Here's hoping it doubles what Melee did. <3
12 million worldwide is a pretty tall order. ...Actually, it'd be higher than that since the 6 million figure for Melee is kind of old. But hey, maybe it could happen since Nintendo will be moving from a fourth-place system (counting GBA) to a second-place system (counting DS). Even as it was, Melee sales improved decently well over SSB1 considering the drop in userbase.

ShockingAlberto said:
Predictions for tomorrow? I say new level.
I stand by Luigi + Jigglypuff + Captain Falcon + Ness + statistics page. Then we'll get something lame on Tuesday, then Wednesday will be the 200th update and blow our minds.

Ceres

Banned
BlueSummers said:

I kind of wish I didn't give Melee to my friend but once I was out of college, I didn't really have anyone from home to play against and computer lvl 9 got pretty boring.

TreIII

ShockingAlberto said:
Predictions for tomorrow?

Like last page, I'm going to dream big, and think that we might get a character. Veteran or newbie, we need some one to balance out the roster to a nice, even number like 24, as well as something else to really pump us up for the "home stretch".

And besides, if we do get more commercials that stick with "4 by 4" montage that we've been getting as of now, we'll need one more character so that we can have an even 6 commercials, starring 4 characters each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom