• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Ocean, official quiet long river thread (Amir0x approved)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
2GB SD Card FTW!

My picks:

From Tortise- TNT:
ten-day interval
four-day interval
in sarah, mencken, christ and beethoven there were women and men
everglade

From Rolfe Kent - Sideways:
Los Olivos

this next one is perfect...

From Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks:
on the nature of daylight
horizon variations
shadow journal
iconography
vladimir's blues
organum
trees
written on the sky

From The Life Aquatic OST:
shark attack theme
let me tell you about my boat
open sea theme
ping island - lightning strike rescue op

From Architecture in Helsinki - Fingers Crossed:
spring 2008
city calm down

From the Lost in Translation OST:
fantino
goodbye
on the subway
ikebana
alone in kyoto
are you awake?

from The Cinematic Orchestra - Man with a Movie Camera:
dawn
the awakening of a woman
reel life (evolution ii)
odessa
yoyo waltz

from The Dining Rooms - Numero Deux:
catania city blues
cosi ti amo
numero deux
speak into the microphone

from Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy:
air batacuda
barrio alto
lebanese blonde
shadows of ourselves
so com voce
the hong kong tiad
tomorrow
treasures

from The Album Leaf - In a Safe Place:
window
twentytwofourteen
the outer banks
over the pond
streamside

from The Album Leaf - Into the Blue Again:
the light
shine
into the sea
wishful thinking
broken arrow

these are really choice...

from The Album Leaf - Seal Beach:
seal beach
christian sands
one minute

Saverio Mercadante prformed by James Galway - Concertos pour flute et orchestre:
Concerto en ré majeur - Andante alla siciliana
Concerto en mi majeur - Polacca - Brillante

Most of the Amelie OST (I don't want to type out the french)
Several of Chopin's Nocturnes
Various selections from the group Romane
Selects of Mendelssohn's "Songs Without Words"

Whole albums:
Bonobo - Animal Magic
Bonobo - Dial M for Monkey
Bonobo - One Offs Remixes and B-Sides
Tosca - Delhi 9 [Disc 2]

I think that'll do. Good variety.

gamingeek

I still cant find that massive great white. I swam through the airplane fuselage multiple times. Argh!

Do I have to do it at night?

gamingeek said:
I still cant find that massive great white. I swam through the airplane fuselage multiple times. Argh!

Do I have to do it at night?

Yes, but you need to swim through the pipes alongside the stern of the sunken freighter, not the plane fuselage. You also need the shark-tooth necklace, but I don't recall the location of that right now.

Tab0203

Cosmonaut X said:
Yes, but you need to swim through the pipes alongside the stern of the sunken freighter, not the plane fuselage. You also need the shark-tooth necklace, but I don't recall the location of that right now.
Oh, my bad. I thought it was the plane.

farnham

Banned
Nah seriously nothing beats the greatness of Glen Gould The Goldberg Variations..

It is perfect with this game..

gamingeek

The sharktooth one. Where is it found again, in case I dont?

I've swam through every inch of the ghost ship like 10 times already. I must be missing something. I need to see that great white sonofabitch.

alex1893

Cosmonaut X said:
it's somewhere around the knives reef.

Found some nice real underwater pics, I think in comparison Arika really nailed the underwater look of the game:

http://www.ianskipworth.com/photo/pcd2510/wolverine2_29_4.jpg

http://www.ianskipworth.com/photo/pcd1742/mangroves_17_4.jpg

http://www.ianskipworth.com/photo/pcd2248/el_tigre_25_4.jpg

http://www.ianskipworth.com/photo/pcd2510/boarfish_05_4.jpg

http://www.ianskipworth.com/photo/pcd1742/clown_fish_wide_angle_28_4.jpg

http://www.ianskipworth.com/photo/pcd1626/hard_coral_22_4.jpg

http://www.ianskipworth.com/photo/pcd2510/sharks_26_4.jpg

damn, makes me wanna learn diving :D

Apenheul

This thread sold me on the game. At first (earlier today) it didn't really click with me, but after I've got my partner and you've swum to other area's than the Lagoon and Coral Forest the exploration grew on me. I definately want to find every single fish in the sea now.

Tab0203

Branskins said:
How is the framerate in this game? It looks silky smooth!
It never drops below 30 and is closer to 60 (I could be wrong) most of the time. It feels very nice and smooth.

Innotech said:
What are the music selections in these videos?
Perfect Dark OST - Chicago
HL2 OST
Super Mario Galaxy - Credits

NotWii

Banned
Tab0203, if you haven't already, you should watch David Attenborough's The Blue Planet
Blueplanet.jpg

Tab0203

Wii said:
Tab0203, if you haven't already, you should watch David Attenborough's The Blue Planet
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/c/ca/Blueplanet.jpg[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I watched it before I got the game. It's pretty amazing.

Found some nice shark pics:

click:

[url=http://www.uploadandgo.com/gallery.php?entry=images/11_1.jpg][img]http://www.uploadandgo.com/thumbs/11_1.jpg[/url]

gamingeek

Great moment that. The framerate is rock solid and silky smooth for those interested, if you see framerate hiccups in web videos that's because of the videos or your computer.

I finally found that great white, looks amazing. Love that thing. I cant believe that I'm over 34 hours in and still finding new stuff. Some weird lizard just popped up on my boat.

gamingeek

How did you get the picture of the bird and lizard from OUTSIDE the boat?

Also how do you do the U-turn and barrel rolls exactly? I changed my aiming to advanced sensitivity and could never manage a U-turn.

Last night on the ghost ship I found this jellyfish that pulsed with light. So cool. Oh and a red gurnard.

Tab0203

gamingeek said:
How did you get the picture of the bird and lizard from OUTSIDE the boat?
The camera angle changes depending on where you stand on the boat.

gamingeek said:
Also how do you do the U-turn and barrel rolls exactly? I changed my aiming to advanced sensitivity and could never manage a U-turn.
Camera settings have nothing to do with it. (also, it isn't more sensitive, it only gives you full 360 camera movement. Press d-pad/options to re-center horizontally)

edit
U-turn: Flick the remote.
And it requires more force than say a Mario Galaxy spin. The barrel roll happened accidentally. I'm still experimenting. (Hold B and touch each side of your screen in under 0.5 sec., left to right or right to left)

Innotech

Banned
Wii said:
Blueplanet.jpg
I own that DVD series. 4 discs isnt it? God I LOVE the deep/abyssal part of the show.
When I first heard about Endless Ocean I thought to myself "Holy fuck a videogame like this DVD". Its definitely going to be one of the highlights of 2008 for me, even with Brawl on the near horizon.

kizmah

Holy crap, this game just keeps on delivering. After "finishing" it I have now finally found the pirate ship that took me to Ocean's Graveyard. What an awesome dive. Found the great white with a bunch of other fishies and items. The atmosphere in this place is absolutely amazing.

After about 15 hours with the game I have now uncovered like 95% of the map. I still have 85 creatures to find.

Innotech

Banned
hamzik said:
Holy crap, this game just keeps on delivering. After "finishing" it I have now finally found the pirate ship that took me to Ocean's Graveyard. What an awesome dive. Found the great white with a bunch of other fishies and items. The atmosphere in this place is absolutely amazing.

After about 15 hours with the game I have now uncovered like 95% of the map. I still have 85 creatures to find.
I want it NOW ;_;

NotWii

Banned
gamingeek said:
Some weird lizard just popped up on my boat.
That would be an iguana :p

Innotech said:
I own that DVD series. 4 discs isnt it? God I LOVE the deep/abyssal part of the show.
When I first heard about Endless Ocean I thought to myself "Holy fuck a videogame like this DVD". Its definitely going to be one of the highlights of 2008 for me, even with Brawl on the near horizon.
Yep, that's the one.

I was really hyped for the game until I saw footage from the japanese version which seemed pretty unpolished with lengthy load times.
Not to mention the bugs that had to be replaced in early copies.

I really hope the delay to jan was to fix that stuff for the US, not just the new logo.

gamingeek

Scrubking said:
This game is so awesome that I already want a sequel... And I haven't even played this one yet.

I really want a sequel to this game. I mean I wouldn't mind if for their next game they went full out and ignored reality on one hand. I mean either do an Endless Ocean based on the ocean life like millions of years ago, like Walking with Dinosaurs.

Or just literally push the boat out (groan) and make some exciting encounters like underwater volcanoes, doing cage dives with blood filled waters and great whites attacking, underwater cities like the Abyss. Chuck Moby Dick in there (not white mother) I mean like a talking whale in the moby dick shape. Dick shape :lol

Definetely incorporate some more abyss like locations, deep sea diving, submersibles etc. The ability to send other wii users your photos, mass online dives, with voice chat.

kizmah

Scrubking said:
This game is so awesome that I already want a sequel... And I haven't even played this one yet.

I have played the game and I would definitely buy a sequal. Give us a new ocean and a meatier and better presented story, more polished graphics (even though EO is mostly beautiful) and more treasure hunting around rusty sunken ships and I will dive in without hasitation.

Loonz

I've been playing this game recently and it's soooooo awesome that I almost can't believe it :D. Beautiful and filled with atmosphere, I love it.

In a sequel it would be great to do deep immersions on a submarine. There are some incredible creatures down there... they could also put some hydrothermal vents for you to explore. The posibilities for exploration and enjoyment are incredible :).

By the way, the "lizard" that appears in that capture of the game is a marine iguana, one of those that live in the Galapagos' archipelago. The bird looks like a cormorant. Awesome attention to detail right there ;).

Innotech

Banned
hamzik said:
I have played the game and I would definitely buy a sequal. Give us a new ocean and a meatier and better presented story, more polished graphics (even though EO is mostly beautiful) and more treasure hunting around rusty sunken ships and I will dive in without hasitation.
Well there is that Ps3 game based on Aquanauts holiday coming out. Nobody talks much about it though. Isnt it supposed to be alot like this (only more grand)?

I'm sure someone has mentioned Phendrana Drifts and Wrecked Ship mp3s from Metroid Prime. Corruption has some appropriate songs as well.

gamingeek

Loonz said:
I've been playing this game recently and it's soooooo awesome that I almost can't believe it :D. Beautiful and filled with atmosphere, I love it.

In a sequel it would be great to do deep immersions on a submarine. There are some incredible creatures down there... they could also put some hydrothermal vents for you to explore. The posibilities for exploration and enjoyment are incredible :).

By the way, the "lizard" that appears in that capture of the game is a marine iguana, one of those that live in the Galapagos' archipelago. The bird looks like a cormorant. Awesome attention to detail right there ;).

There are some vents at the bottom of the abyss. If you dive during the daytime they gush.

Mason

I hadn't been following this thread and just jumped into it. Holy shit, this game looks really impressive. Everywhere I've looked so far has it listed at $29.95 which is the sweet spot for me. I'll pick it up day one.

My only question is: how well do the animals in the game animate? It's a bit hard to discern from the videos posted, but it kind of appears like if you run into a group of the same species of something (like a group of manta rays, for example), they all go through the same short animation at the same time over and over (ie: the animation isn't very varied and natural). Can someone who has the game comment?

Mason said:
I hadn't been following this thread and just jumped into it. Holy shit, this game looks really impressive. Everywhere I've looked so far has it listed at $29.95 which is the sweet spot for me. I'll pick it up day one.

My only question is: how well do the animals in the game animate? It's a bit hard to discern from the videos posted, but it kind of appears like if you run into a group of the same species of something (like a group of manta rays, for example), they all go through the same short animation at the same time over and over (ie: the animation isn't very varied and natural). Can someone who has the game comment?
I think the animation is quite good. Most species don't have a lot of variey in their animations, that is true, but apart from some minor transition problems it's pretty believable.

Top Bottom