• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Ocean, official quiet long river thread (Amir0x approved)

jehuty

I dont know if anybody has done this yet, but becuase i can play music of an SD crad, i plan to put the whole Chrono Cross soundtrack on it. I figure playing EO while listening to the majestic chrono cross soundtrack will be a great experience.

Arthas

Banned
Well I finally picked this game up for the budget price of....$75 usd. (courtesy of living in Australia).

So far I must say, although rather pointless (lets face it ALL games are pointless wastes of time) I find it enjoyable. I am happy I got it. Only about 2 hours in and I can see the appeal.

A solid 8/10 from what I've played so far.

NotWii

Banned
jehuty said:
I dont know if anybody has done this yet, but becuase i can play music of an SD crad, i plan to put the whole Chrono Cross soundtrack on it. I figure playing EO while listening to the majestic chrono cross soundtrack will be a great experience.
Most of the tracks don't suit it IMO
Except Jellyfish Sea, that is PERFECT

Tab0203

Lobster said:
This pic looks so dam real 0_o
:lol You seriously couldn't tell? It was just for fun to show the resemblance.

How about this one:

edit:

(image google: underwater killer whale)

8f487df.jpg

8gdq3pt.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Surfheart said:
Well looks like I'm picking this up today thanks to GAF :)

IGN AU reviewed it here http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/845/845805p1.html

Can anyone recommend an SD card for the Wii? I've heard that they are not all created equal in regards to access speeds?
The very best you can get for the Wii is a SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus USB with a capacity up to 2GB. Writes at 9MBps, reads at 10MBps PLUS it plugs directly to USB ports, no card reader required. <3 the most awesome non-SDHC on earth.

For cheaper you can get the non-PLUS Ultra II SD cards from Sandisk, same speeds but without the USB thingy. Again 2GB, 1GB or 512MB you make the call.

Bildi

Surfheart said:
Well looks like I'm picking this up today thanks to GAF :)

IGN AU reviewed it here http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/845/845805p1.html

Can anyone recommend an SD card for the Wii? I've heard that they are not all created equal in regards to access speeds?
I have been sorely tempted as well but will have to hold off until I get through a bit of my backlog. Please post impressions when you get it :)

For SD Cards I believe the Wii can write at a maximum 6400kb per second (which I found near the bottom of the page here) and the Sandisk Ultra II cards are 10mb per second so something like that would be good. The Exreme III cards are 20mb which would be pointless.

Go 2GB or under as well.

Surfheart

Thanks for the tips on the SD cards guys, much appreciated.

Bildi said:
I have been sorely tempted as well but will have to hold off until I get through a bit of my backlog. Please post impressions when you get it :)

I should too. It's a disease. I've got soooo much in my backlog it's not funny.

jts

...hate me...
Mason said:
How big of a deal is the SD card write speed for something like this? I can't imagine it honestly making a difference. The Wii is just reading mp3's off the card, right? I was going to buy this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208043
Yeah not that much of a deal but oh well sometimes it can make a difference. Clearly not while just playbacking mp3s. Anyway if you're going that route my advice is to at least spare an extra couple of bucks and buy a Kingston, it comes with lifetime warranty.

Lobster

Banned
Tab0203 said:
:lol You seriously couldn't tell? It was just for fun to show the resemblance.

How about this one:

edit:

(image google: underwater killer whale)

8f487df.jpg

8gdq3pt.jpg

Seriously couldn't tell :lol I thought you were diving with another person or something.

The fish/mammals in this game look too amazing...

That Killer Whale could be passed of as a real photo 0_o

I really got to get this game.

Bildi

Surfheart said:
I should too. It's a disease. I've got soooo much in my backlog it's not funny.
I just read IGNAU's review (I really like their reviews, way better than regular IGN's droning, multi-page novels). All I can say is it's lucky DVDCrave is down for maintenance today and I'm too lazy to walk over to JBHifi.

Surfheart

Bildi said:
I just read IGNAU's review (I really like their reviews, way better than regular IGN's droning, multi-page novels). All I can say is it's lucky DVDCrave is down for maintenance today and I'm too lazy to walk over to JBHifi.

Haha lazy bugger :p

I agree with you on the IGNAU review, it was good, although with perhaps some amusing but tasteless Steve Irwin jokes.

PS Please accept my Wii friend invite! :)

Played EO for about an hour today. It's pretty cool in an Animal Crossing kind of way. It's just chilled out tooling about in the ocean looking for fish and treasure.

It looks amazing too. Arika spent a lot of time on the marine life and the lighting underwater. When you're in the sea, it's surprisingly lifelike. The people don't look great and they animate stiffly, but that's not really a problem. I wish Arika did the water better when you're on the boat though. Wave Race Blue Storm water would suffice.

I really like EO so far, which is surprising since it's a pretty aimless game and I didn't like Animal Crossing. I think EO scratches my OCD completionist itch.

What's the limit on the number of MP3s on the songlist? I loaded up my 3 Battlestar Galactica OSTs, Gojira's From Mars To Sirius, Mastodon's Leviathan and Blood Mountain and Aphex Twin's Classic Ambient Works. The Aphex Twin and S3 BSGstuff isn't showing up.

Also, Pegasus from S2 BSG + EO = godly.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Surfheart said:
The reason I asked was because of a thread where some GAF-ers mentioned that with some cards it was painfully slow to copy VC games back and forth.

AFAIK, the VC transactions speed is determined much more by the on-the-fly en/de-cryption pertinent to VC content than the raw throughput characteristic of the SD card & wii's SD interface.

anyway, for mp3 playback you would not care about SD speeds at all. things become (read-) speed sensitive once you get to use the picture channel, though, where a good SD card makes a notable difference - a 10MB/s-read SD pays there.

Kletian

Dammit, reading this thread had me so pumped to run to the store after work and pick this up.

Then I look and see it's not out til next week.

bjork

I previously said I'd hold out on a Wii until Animal Crossing drops, but the more I see of this, the more I am thinking of going back on that pledge. This looks like a lot of mellow fun.

Not to threadjack at all, but has anyone played the other underwater game about the sea monsters? That one looks neat too, I'd probably pick them both up at the same time if possible.

Apenheul

Hmm, apparently I forgot to do something in the underwater ruins and now the story won't advance, I don't even know how to get there anymore.

hirokazu

Somebody please tell me what you guys are loving so much about this game.. I bought this game about a month ago and it's probably the worst game I've bought in recent memory. I mean, I'm all for a slow, relaxed experience and all, but fuck, you can't do any interaction with any creatures apart from the dodgy feeling them up and feeding them pee. It's the same fucking thing over and over again!

The custom soundtrack feature is terrible, and the graphics and animation above water is terrible too. I must say, it does look quite nice underwater, but what else does the game offer? I've played only 2.5 hours so far and I don't think I want to play any more if the rest of the game is the same as what I've played so far.

tim1138

So this will be in stores Tuesday right? Tomorrows only the ship date?
What a week for games: this, No More Heroes, Advance Wars and Burnout Paradise.

tim1138

Amir0x said:

Haha, you really hated NMH didn't you?
Back on topic, I dunno if there was a friend code exchange thread for the JPN and EU releases but someone should do one for the US release this week.

Mason

Fuuuuuuck, it's either this or NMH this week and I cannot decide. I want to support good third party games but I can't get both! I guess I'll probably end up getting this and buying NMH when it comes down in price, which sucks because companies put such an emphasis on first month sales. :(

Flynn

The similarities to Animal Crossing are many, between the "gate" on the boat and the emailed jobs ala Tom Nook. I'm looking forward to really exploring this week.

Here's my mp3 playlist (all full albums):

Feathers - Feathers Family LP
Kraftwerk - Raph and Florian
Eileen Allen & Apparat - Orchestra of Bubbles
Okie Dokie It's the Orb on Kompakt
Massive Attack - No Protection
Neu! - All three albums
Sam Prekop - Self Titled
Tortoise - Selft Titled & Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Various - Microsolutions #1
Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
Brian Eno and David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

And a bunch of random Kompakt ambient stuff

jts

...hate me...
Mason said:
Fuuuuuuck, it's either this or NMH this week and I cannot decide. I want to support good third party games but I can't get both! I guess I'll probably end up getting this and buying NMH when it comes down in price, which sucks because companies put such an emphasis on first month sales. :(
NMH is definitely a more legit purchase to support quality 3rd party games, so do the opposite. Thank you.

CTLance

mio said:
NMH is definitely a more legit purchase to support quality 3rd party games, so do the opposite. Thank you.
Wat.
Seriously, wat.
*points at topic*
You're a dirty lying traitor, is what you are. I say we have ye walk the plank. What say ye lot?

seriously though: Buy whatever you want, Mason. YOU will have to play the game, not Nintendos 3rd parties, or the guys in this thread.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Bought the game a the bargain price of €18, should arrive this friday... anything I should know to get the most enjoyment from it (aside from a nice custom st)?

Thanks!

yodandy

Im hooking my bro up with a playlist, if anyones wanting some good earthly like stuff

ES Posthumus - Nara (and a few others work)
DKC Underwater theme (duh)
Sigur Ros - Hoppipola, and Staralfur
Incubus - Aqueous Transmission
Beulah - Emma Blowguns Last Stand, Calm go the wild seas
Explosions in the sky - so long, lonesome
Hans Zimmer - Drink up me hearties (pirates 3)
Steve jablonsky (sp?) - My name is lincon (the island)

still searchin the library for more

tim1138

Picked this up today at Target and it totally lives up to the hype. I spent around 2 hrs trolling around in the ocean and doing some missions--I've got the camera and light for night diving now. The game just looks so great in motion and is such a relaxing experience.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gamestop (who bought EB) told me today was the shipping date. I knew they were full of shit because Nintendo wouldn't tell me to go look for them on the shipping date. I got mine at Target.

What's GameStop's online policy with the 'ship date': is today when they will ship Endless Ocean, or will they actually ship tomorrow (the day it's available in their stores)? I pre-ordered it during that free overnight shipping deal, can't wait to play it. I know I'll have a blast.

Top Bottom