• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Ocean, official quiet long river thread (Amir0x approved)

gamingeek

The animation is very lifelike. There are literally over a hundred sea beasties in the game so some are better done than others. Generally though the animation is so good that it tricks your eyes into making everything believable.

Tab0203

He looks a bit stiff when he's riding a dolphin or a false killer whale, and some of the transitions aren't perfect, but overall it's pretty impressive and believable.

Tab0203

24e6we1.png

Endless Ocean
Endless Ocean - False Killer Whale Ride
Endless Ocean - Night Dive
Endless Ocean - Dolphins
Endless Ocean - Dolphins 2
Endless Ocean - Penguins, Right Whale
Endless Ocean - Blue Whale
Endless Ocean - Sunken Ship
Endless Ocean - Manta Rays, Sunken Ship
Endless Ocean - Whale Shark
Endless Ocean - Whale Shark 2
Endless Ocean - Whale Shark Cutscene
Endless Ocean - Abyss
Endless Ocean - Abyss, Giant Squid, Sperm Whale
Endless Ocean - Abyss, Sperm Whale
Endless Ocean - Tricks
Endless Ocean - Seal
Endless Ocean - Seal 2
Endless Ocean - Manta Ray
Endless Ocean - Right Whale
Endless Ocean - Pirate Ship, Sunken Ship
Endless Ocean - Killer Whale
Endless Ocean - Killer Whale 2
Endless Ocean - Nomura's Jellyfish
Endless Ocean - Killer Whale Tricks
Endless Ocean - Great White Shark

Music:

Trance Dream
Basic Instinct OST
Mozart
HL OST
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 'Torvus Clockwork' - OverClocked ReMix
Jaws OST
Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks
Mario Galaxy - Gateway Galaxy
Twilight Princess - Queen Rutela
RE4 - credits
Perfect Dark OST - Chicago
HL2 OST
Super Mario Galaxy - Credits
Enya

FoxSpirit

Tab0203 said:
He looks a bit stiff when he's riding a dolphin or a false killer whale, and some of the transitions aren't perfect, but overall it's pretty impressive and believable.

Yeah, but I guess that can't be helped on Wii unless you integrated physics for the dangling legs in those cases.

Tab0203

I was genuinely surprised ("shit!") by those 10-15 manta rays in the 'manta rays, sunken ship' video. They swim as a group in a straight line through the area. At least the flapping is unsynchronized. :)

Here's one single manta ray swimming around:

Endless Ocean - Manta Ray

Music: Yann Tiersen - Summer 78

6tvmdqf.png

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
only a few more days til this beauty comes out in Aus, hopefully will be getting it for my birthday, if not birthday money will save the day

dyls

Just got an email from Nintendo about this game. I think this may be the first time I've actually gotten an email about a Nintendo game before the game released. Maybe Reggie's little executive housecleaning is doing the trick.

Day one, by the way.

gamingeek

It's only been a couple of months with this game and I love it so much I would buy a sequel today if it was released. God I hope nintendo back arika financially to make another.

Ledsen

This game is impossible to find in Europe, it's constantly sold out and when new stock arrives is disappears in minutes :(

Tab0203

small update on U-turns and barrel rolls:

*Edit2*

U-turn: One "violent" flick in any direction.

Barrel roll: Hold B, touch (with the cursor, no force required) each side of your screen in under 0.5 seconds or so... You have to be quick. Left to right or right to left.

Mdk7 said:
No WAY. O_O

You're implying i could meet someone like
l006_jpg.jpg

in the game?
*faints*

8c3ls7p.jpg

The pic I posted shows a common fangtooth, not the anglerfish in his photograph.

Common fangtooth:

8bfs4r4.jpg

Here is the humpback anglerfish (Melanocetus johnsonii, 8cm):

6ntgmrt.jpg

8a361r5.jpg

jgwhiteus

Has NOA been advertising this game in NA and I just didn't notice? I was thinking of pre-ordering it today on Amazon and was surprised to already find it in the top 25 (meanwhile, No More Heroes, which comes out the same day, is at 300 or something).
http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Ocean-Dive-Discover-Dream/dp/B000WINB56/ref=pd_ts_vg_20?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

Maybe it's just an inherently appealing game that people are picking up based on the budget price and concept alone? (I mean, maybe that'd explain why "Winter Sports Challenge" is also up there, even though I've never seen an advertisement for that either?).

I'm mindful that Amazon isn't reflective of what sales will be across the board, but hopefully people will pick this up. Sounds really interesting.

gamingeek

Does anyone know, some of the animals that appear on the decks of boats, it is possible to see them in the ocean? For instance the polar bear or walrus, east indian elephant seal etc?

Also, I'm missing one kind of shark and one kind of dolphin. Any clues?

And, once you unlock white mother, the blue whale doesn't seem to appear in the great drop off anymore, anywhere to find it?

Mdk7

Tab0203 said:
small update on U-turns and barrel rolls:

U-turn: Hold B, one strong flick left OR right.

Barrel roll: Hold B, flick right to left or left to right.

8c3ls7p.jpg

The pic I posted shows a common fangtooth, not the anglerfish in his photograph.

Common fangtooth:

8bfs4r4.jpg

Here is the humpback anglerfish (Melanocetus johnsonii, 8cm):

6ntgmrt.jpg

8a361r5.jpg
Awesome!!!
Due to Galaxy and Mass Effect i still haven't been able to go back to Endless, but i will eventually, one day!

I think you have to be in the right mood to really enjoy the marvels this game has to offer you... so i'll play when i feel like! :)

Arthas

Banned
Damn if this game was out in Australia I'd be all over it. Can't wait. Just 6 more days. *cries in sweet anticipation*

Does it support 16:9 progressive? And approximately how many meaningful hours of gameplay can one get from it?

gamingeek said:
And, once you unlock white mother, the blue whale doesn't seem to appear in the great drop off anymore, anywhere to find it?

Strange, I frequently see both at the same time.

Arthas said:
Does it support 16:9 progressive? And approximately how many meaningful hours of gameplay can one get from it?

Yes, and at least 20 before you'll want to move on to other things. Even still, you'll probably still have a lot to unlock, because some creatures are only available in certain seasons.

Arthas

Banned
Monkeylord said:
Yes, and at least 20 before you'll want to move on to other things. Even still, you'll probably still have a lot to unlock, because some creatures are only available in certain seasons.

Thanks.

maxmars

I don't think I will ever get tired of this game, I'm just happy to fire it up from time to time to dive on my preferred spots and just go around playing. If only there was someone playing this on the internet..

gamingeek

Arthas said:
And approximately how many meaningful hours of gameplay can one get from it?

Well I got 20 hrs in and saw the credit sequence, unlocked all the grids on the map. Buuuuuut. Then after a mario galaxy/umbrella chronicles break I've been back on it and I'm very close to 40 hours in.

You have to find all the creatures and fill up that huge book of species, you have to dive every location during night and day. I'm still discovering new species 40 hrs in. I found the ghost ship many hours after I had seen the credits sequence.

Not only do you have to find the species, you then are compelled to unlock all 3 stages of information about them. And of course you can keep changing the soundtrack via mp3
to mix up the experience. You also keep getting missions via email, find and photo this fish, guide this guy around. And I haven't come close to filling up that item box.

Tab0203

gamingeek said:
Does anyone know, some of the animals that appear on the decks of boats, it is possible to see them in the ocean? For instance the polar bear or walrus, east indian elephant seal etc?
At least some of them:

'Brown boobys' diving around the south of the deep valley, iirc.

Endless Ocean - Brown Booby

Music: 'Trance Dream' Ydille/Smidt - Down To Earth

Tab0203

Glass squid (Cranchia Seabra), whale shark (Rhincodon typus), over 30 (25 in this pic) red stingrays (Dasyatis akajei), bigeye trevallies (Caranx sexfasciatus), another great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias) and a banded houndshark (Triakis seyllium):

Oh, I found a
killer whale
last night. :p

Edit

Endless Ocean - Pirate Ship, Sunken Ship

8207dox.png

I cant find this bloody game anywhere in the uk, online shops seem to be sold out and high street to. So you can play two play online and just swim about the full game toghter???.

maxmars

supermackem said:
I cant find this bloody game anywhere in the uk, online shops seem to be sold out and high street to. So you can play two play online and just swim about the full game toghter???.

Why yes.

zoukka

Woah seeing these videos made me want this one. Is there a way to put multiple songs together so you wouldn`t have to listen only one song if using SD-card ?

Really impressive visuals for a Wii game. And the budget probably wasn`t way up high...

Innotech

Banned
zoukka said:
Woah seeing these videos made me want this one. Is there a way to put multiple songs together so you wouldn`t have to listen only one song if using SD-card ?

Really impressive visuals for a Wii game. And the budget probably wasn`t way up high...
ironic isnt it? A low budget Wii game that looks incredible. ITs all about atmosphere and smart design.

kottila

There is a program that fuses the songs into one, but I can't rember what it was called. I think it has been mentioned in the thread

zoukka

ironic isnt it? A low budget Wii game that looks incredible. ITs all about atmosphere and smart design.

Yup. And i can`t believe how they got the animations to look so great too. Incredible... (the white shark vid was so creepy)

There is a programme that fuses the songs into one, but I can't rember what it was called. I think it has been mentioned in the thread

If someone knows it please inform!

Captain N said:
Sorry if this has been answered, but is there anything that will attack you if you get too close?
No. Some creatures do react to poking them though. This is all about exploration and relaxation, no attacks, blood or anything involved. What I'd love to see in a next installment is interaction between the different species (sharks hunting fish etc.), you see penguins dive for fish etc. but you never see them actually chasing fish.

Tab0203

gamingeek said:
Tab, please tell me where and how to find that species you blanked out. I MUST KNOW!
Well, it's not really a spoiler. It's another reason to buy the game. You can ride and have him as a pet. :D

Find this:

and go to Ocean's Graveyard to trigger a cutscene. The Orca Killer Whale is yours! Pics and video soon.

gamingeek

Anyone know where the lifebeads are?

I just found out that when you are riding a whale you can hit the 2 button for alternative angles. So cool.

alex1893

sorry to say, but this pic is real. :lol

It's a comparison between the real life underwater pyramids and the in-game underwater ruins at the Marige Atoll. ;)

Top Bottom