• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hahaha the Japanese quotation symbols crack me up as well as the sudden lipstick.

...there's no female Jojo character without a lipstick is there?

Articalys

So this happened at the PlayStation Awards earlier today.

http://mantan-web.jp/2013/12/03/20131203dog00m200047000c.html
shxKzgt.jpg
CyberConnect2 CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama likes to cosplay, apparently.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, those are really classy. I love how most of the designs are great on their own without knowing the franchise, but can still be appreciated by fans by the little details.

Can't you buy Kira's tie as well? I remember Hiroshi or someone wearing it at one point.

OMG that site has Eva stuff as well

Ezalc

Damn, those are really classy. I love how most of the designs are great on their own without knowing the franchise, but can still be appreciated by fans by the little details.

Can't you buy Kira's tie as well? I remember Hiroshi or someone wearing it at one point.

OMG that site has Eva stuff as well

Yeah you can, it was posted a few pages back when I asked about Jojo merchandise. It looks amazing as well.

They are going to come out with some Lego Jojo sets, but so far all they have released is a Danny fig.

tumblr_mxb5rsYUxX1qb9i4po1_500.jpg

Sorry, I know that would be cool

Crocodile

Jojo is a property I've never really consumed but I've been aware just due to general osmosis of Japanese entertainment culture that happens when you watch alot of anime. I've seen the Dio vs. Jotaro OVA fight years back but without context all it was was a cool (very cool granted) spectacle. The fact that it's been going on for about 20 years, to my understanding, and is popular enough to leave its mark throughout Japanese entertainment culture has continued to peak my interest over the years. The whole IP seems to exude a sense of swag and hot-blood that makes it seem like it would be something I'd enjoy. I'm not one to read much manga so I never got around to actually reading it. Recently I started watching the 2012 anime and have recently finished the Phantom Blood arc.

I can see a lot of the groundwork that I think the series eventually builds upon and is well known for this this arc - Over the top villains, crazy action, lots of manly shouting, weird fighting style and techniques, etc. I know this was written back in the late 80s (I think) so I have to evaluate the series with that in mind. That is to say a lot of the shonen tropes you often see nowadays were much less worn out back when this was first written. What kind of struck me was how awkward the writing and pacing were and how awful the actual animation tended to be. The show had style in spades but the animation was often so bad I had a hard time making out the action from time to time. From my understanding, this is a pillar of the Japanese shonen genre. You'd think they'd spend the big bucks when making this, not cheap out :/

As for the writing, I often feel people would show up or know things with little explanation. Like
Dire, Straights, et al.
showing up just seemed super random.
Zeppeli and Jonathon
, sure liked taking their sweet time dying :/ Also, holy shit could the show drown you in exposition. Don't recall it being so "thick" in other shonen I've seen (but again I know this arc is very old so different standards and all that). Like from my understanding Speedwagon is a popular character right? I just found him annoying and overbearing. Like he means well but he barely contributed anything to the effort to fight Dio and I'm not chastising him for not being a fighter either. He just spends every episode explaining what I can plainly see and saying "I wish I could help"! Again, I know this is old school shonen but it was pretty annoying. At least with the time skip and continent change it means he's gone now :)

Now I know I've been very negative. After watching the Phantom Blood arc I found out they basically condensed 7 volumes into 9 episodes so I'm sure that negatively affected the writing. If this was all there was to Jojo's I could understand some of the appeal but would have a hard time figuring out why it ever became so popular. However, I'm aware there is more and while I don't know exact details it still exudes that aura of hot-blood and swag that looks appealing to me. Furthermore, everyone who is well versed in Jojo seems to consider the Phantom Blood arc mediocre to straight up bad so I suppose my feelings aren't unwarranted. I hear for example the protagonist of Part II, Joesph, is especially awesome. Long story short, I see the foundation of the franchise in Phantom Blood and while I wasn't super impressed with the arc, the show/IP still looks like something I'd grow to really enjoy and thus will push forward with Part II and if I like that make sure to catch Part III when it airs next year :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, this is a pretty common reaction to Phantom Blood. It has its moments, but it's BY FAR the weakest part of the series. Part 2 is a huuuuuuuge improvement.
Pretty much. When you compare what happens in the rest of the series (especially when Stands are introduced), it's rather bland in comparison. Still good, but nowhere near as good as some other parts. Part 2 is when things really start to pick up & become "bizarre".

Yonafunu

Yeah, this is a pretty common reaction to Phantom Blood. It has its moments, but it's BY FAR the weakest part of the series. Part 2 is a huuuuuuuge improvement.

It's probably just me, but while reading the manga, Vento Aureo was actually the least enjoyable to me. At least Phantom Blood has the charm of being the first Part, introducing the origins of the Jojo story at large. Vento Aureo was just extremely boring all around. I didn't like any of the characters aside from Bruno, and Diavolo is best off forgotten. What a joke.

Gazoinks

It's probably just me, but while reading the manga, Vento Aureo was actually the least enjoyable to me. At least Phantom Blood has the charm of being the first Part, introducing the origins of the Jojo story at large. Vento Aureo was just extremely boring all around. I didn't like any of the characters aside from Bruno, and Diavolo is best off forgotten. What a joke.

I'm reading Vento Aureo right now, and I kinda see where you're coming from. I think part of the issue might be with the translation, because the retranslation feels like it has more life to it than the old one. I do like a lot of the Stands in Vento Aureo though, it feels like the part where Araki really unfettered his weirdness.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Vento Aureo definitely was one I felt was one of the weaker parts. I didn't mind the characters, but the story was rather "eeeh". I do think part of the problem was that translation.

I'm also on chapter 73 for Steel Ball Run/Part 7 & I'm starting to see why people felt this one was a bit slow. I think the main reason is that the chapters are about double the length now, or at the very least, FEEL longer. I noticed most volumes had about only 3 or 4 chapters each.

Well that's kinda what happenes with monthly chapters. By chapter count, SBR is not the longest, but by page/volume count/time it took to finish it's the longest Jojo part so there's that too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ah, so that's what happened. I knew Part 8 switched magazines, but I didn't know about that with Part 7. That would probably explain it.

Actually it was 7 that switched magazines. You can easily tell when it happened because the art improves and the chapters go from 18~ pages to 20-50 pages.

Ezalc

Watch Part 2 man, it has the best protagonist of the series. You'll understand what's fabulous after you watch Joseph in action when he was at his peak.

Silky

Banned
My brother sent me all of my JoJo books (The entirety of Part 3 and Baoh) through the mail today. Now all I need is a shelf for it and my jotaro figma

Boss Doggie

Yeah my least favorite is Part 5/Golden Winds, but it's probably because Giorno is very bland and possibly my least favorite Jojo.

jgminto

I think Narancia was my favourite. Fugo had great potential before he was written out. I didn't really feel much for Abbacchio. I wish we saw his past earlier, it was super interesting.

fertygo

Golden Wind is among my least favorite JoJos, but like I already mentioning before.. the fight are flipping crazy, might have the best collection in entire series.. so there's something that at least make it special among other part.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Which is a shame, because there was a lot of potential with the premise of the character.
This kind of bugged me as well. He had an interesting power, but it feels like he barely got to use it. Plus it kind of felt lackluster they were all "THIS IS DIO'S SON!!" but then that's it. I mean, it was SORT OF addressed at the beginning & they do give him a backstory, but considering I went in after hearing about the whole "Part 5 switches things up & it's Dio's son rather than a Jojo ancestor" thing, I guess it just didn't live to expectations, considering how it kind of was just dropped.

fertygo

This kind of bugged me as well. He had an interesting power, but it feels like he barely got to use it. Plus it kind of felt lackluster they were all "THIS IS DIO'S SON!!" but then that's it. I mean, it was SORT OF addressed at the beginning & they do give him a backstory, but considering I went in after hearing about the whole "Part 5 switches things up & it's Dio's son rather than a Jojo ancestor" thing, I guess it just didn't live to expectations, considering how it kind of was just dropped.

Errr I must disagree with this, Giorno completely abuse his ultra-hax abilities even outside of battle.
1. He betraying Polpo with it
2. He use it to heal himself n his ally numerous time
3. He use it to solve puzzle

Also
whole "Part 5 switches things up & it's Dio's son rather than a Jojo ancestor" thing, I guess it just didn't live to expectations, considering how it kind of was just dropped.
Well there's Stone Ocean, I guess..

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I do remember him using them outside of battle a few times (it's been a few months since I've read Part 5, so my memory might be off). Maybe it was just felt that way since compared to, say, how many times Josuke used Crazy Diamond in Part 4. I remembered the fact he used the whole healing & breaking/splitting things apart ability way more (more as in I remember it happening) than Girino's abilities, though maybe it could be due to me being invested more in Part 4.

Though yes, you're correct on those examples, so I won't argue there.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Part 5 is my favourite part. Narancia deserved better. VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLARE VIA. Diavolo is rather weak yes, but it's not really an issue, while his motivation is dumb it's better than Dio's Pinky & the Brain "Try to take over the world" scheme.

Don't let my avatar fool you.

Yonafunu

Part 5 is my favourite part. Narancia deserved better. VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLA VOLARE VIA. Diavolo is rather weak yes, but it's not really an issue, while his motivation is dumb it's better than Dio's Pinky & the Brain "Try to take over the world" scheme.

Don't let my avatar fool you.

I disagree. Diavolo ruined one of Vento Aureo's few good things, the mafia mystery story. I can understand some people may like the Buccellati gang and maybe some of the assassin characters. But Diavolo is utter shit.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I disagree. Diavolo ruined one of Vento Aureo's few good things, the mafia mystery story. I can understand some people may like the Buccellati gang and maybe some of the assassin characters. But Diavolo is utter shit.
The whole "Who is the boss" subplot? Eh, it was engaging for a time but when I read part 5 it was the least of my concerns. Depends on the reader, I guess. I know people who thought part 5 was poor because they expected it to have father/son relations with Giorno trying to find the origins of his father? (lol what) and a lot of people just say "Yeah, part 5 is pretty bad because it's just fights." I think someone needs to finish up that re-translation of part 5 though so we can all make proper judgement since the first scans are missing out a lot.

Astarte

Yo imma just say that Scooby Doo and SBR are the best arcs. Morioh was great, SBR had great everything. Part 5 is my least favorite, though. I just didn't like any character besides Mista and Bruno, but hot damn the fights were interesting.

Boss Doggie

Hah, now I imagined Scooby Doo gang with stands solving the mystery of the day

(Yes I get it's part 4 but hey let me imagine!)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I liked Persona 4 more when it was called Diamond is Unbreakable.

I want to know what happened to both Valkyrie and Slow Dancer in Jojolion. Araki, please.

I liked Persona 4 more when it was called Diamond is Unbreakable.

I want to know what happened to both Valkyrie and Slow Dancer in Jojolion. Araki, please.

It would break my heart and break your heart(hur hur) .

I like to believe Vakyrie was returned to where she was breed with the family I would assume.

Slow Dancer was old and seasoned to begin with so, maybe she died a peaceful death considering how much Johnny loved her.

All conjecture of course

from the NEC 14 thread

jgminto

Man, they look really ugly in the game. Jonathan looks similar to the show but Joseph looks like he received a punch to the face from Crazy Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom