• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Monsters (PSN)

pswii60

memecomplex said:
What the hell? Why are games on the PSN kicking so much ass?

You see I just upgraded my TV to a 1080p set and been on a buying binge, getting all the natively rendered 1080p games I can get my hands on... Super Stardust HD, Locorocco, PixelJunk Racers and PixelJunk Monsters. They've all been supremely entertaining... but Monsters is really something else!

Looks great, feels great, sounds great. It's bloody fucking ace! It's cheap to boot!
And the co-op play is just so awesome. Been playing it non-stop with my girlfriend... really guys if you like Tower Defense games (or strategy games like Advance Wars), do check this one out. GOTY for me!

There's a really cool interview on Newsweek with Dylan Cuthbert:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/12/06/the-dylan-cuthbert-interview-part-i.aspx

If they keep this variety and fusion of art and gameplay, I'm going to buy and collect every PixelJunk game.

<3 <3 <3 Q-Games!

Eh, how have you got it already? Is it out? I really want to check this game out after hearing about it on 1UP Yours.

Am based in Singapore, it's up on our PSN. I love the PixelJunk ethos so much I wished I was working in the Games Industry (in Q-Games particularly) :)

Can't wait for PixelJunk 1-3.

pswii60

memecomplex said:
Am based in Singapore, it's up on our PSN. I love the PixelJunk ethos so much I wished I was working in the Games Industry (in Q-Games particularly) :)

I couldn't get in to PixelJunk Racers but Monsters looks fun and different and I can't wait to try it (especially with N'Gai's obsession over Desktop Tower Defence). Also I agree that the PixelJunk ethos is particularly interesting and encouraging. I just hope they don't drop it after the third project as so many new and unique concepts could come out of this. I also think Sony need to do a better job at promoting the PS Store etc, but that's another thread.

HK-47 said:
The game has a simple prettiness to it

Yes, like Dylan mentioned in his interview it's really an SNES look, with modern shaders, fantastic little details and gorgeous 1080p.

The only nitpicking I have about the GFX is that when the screen is overloaded with elements: rain, a dozen scurrying spiders, all the trees converted to arrow towers, it can slow down a little... just like an SNES game I suppose:)

Love the music too.

It's kind of strange but I feel with PixelJunk games a kind of sensation I haven't felt since the original Jet Set Radio... that fusion of art and music and gameplay. It's like a boutique game made by really passionate talented folks. Probably very hip too. Let's hope it does much better than JSR.

pswii60 said:
I couldn't get in to PixelJunk Racers but Monsters looks fun and different and I can't wait to try it (especially with N'Gai's obsession over Desktop Tower Defence). Also I agree that the PixelJunk ethos is particularly interesting and encouraging. I just hope they don't drop it after the third project as so many new and unique concepts could come out of this. I also think Sony need to do a better job at promoting the PS Store etc, but that's another thread.

I love Racers too, but I can't play it for long stretches as it's a game that requires full concentration and fast reflexes in the vein of old-school arcade games. I do feel that Racers gets more enjoyable as you get better at it. But it's not the most relaxing game - lots of heart in the mouth moments. And kicking you out of the tournament for losing a race is a bit too old-school for my liking. I hope they patch it to make it more accessible to casuals.

As for promoting it, if Sony isn't doing enough, I hope word of mouth gets around as to how good these little affordable games are... and you get to download it on up to 5 machines! I've got a copy on my machine and my girlfriend has one on her machine at her place. I think it's really cool for Sony to let us do this, they've generated a lot of goodwill from me.

Almyn

I bought this a couple of weeks ago off the Honk kong PSN store.For those interested this is the only other store my Uk debit card wil work on, So if anyone is looking to buy PJ monsters a couple of week early it might be worth trying that store.

For those already playing this.How far have you progressed?It's an incredibly hard game, And requires you to complete levels perfectly without losing any of your flock (Doing so gives you a rainbow) to get to the harder levels.
I've put many hours into this already, But i still only have 2 rainbows.And i need 7 to unlock the hard levels.I love the challenge and everything, But playing through a level for 15 mins and losing 1 of my flock on the last wave it a complete pain. :(
Still i'm so addicted at the moment i can't help diving back in for another go.

Almyn said:
I bought this a couple of weeks ago off the Honk kong PSN store.For those interested this is the only other store my Uk debit card wil work on, So if anyone is looking to buy PJ monsters a couple of week early it might be worth trying that store.

For those already playing this.How far have you progressed?It's an incredibly hard game, And requires you to complete levels perfectly without losing any of your flock (Doing so gives you a rainbow) to get to the harder levels.
I've put many hours into this already, But i still only have 2 rainbows.And i need 7 to unlock the hard levels.I love the challenge and everything, But playing through a level for 15 mins and losing 1 of my flock on the last wave it a complete pain. :(
Still i'm so addicted at the moment i can't help diving back in for another go.

You should be able to get rainbows for all the easy stages, that's at least 4 I think. As for tips you need to have the right tower for the right monster:

Spiders = Arrows, Little dudes = Cannons and Arrows, Big dudes = Cannons, etc.

Some monsters are also resistant to some attacks and this is the only problem I have with the game. It doesn't tell you what resistance the next monsters is going to have, so to get perfect scores you need to memorize the order. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also turret placement is key. You want to have turrets to be able to attack incoming and outgoing monsters. Don't forget to power up your turrets to expand their range and power either by dancing or using gems.

Lastly co-op makes it so much easier.

SamBishop

Banned
memecomplex said:
Yes, like Dylan mentioned in his interview it's really an SNES look, with modern shaders, fantastic little details and gorgeous 1080p.

Wait, huh? I see zero shaders in the US press version, good sir. Me am confus-ed. I will say, though, that the slowdown makes be a little sad given what's going on. Otherwise, the version I can only assume will hit the PSN soon is fucking rad-tastic, but that's just because I love Tower Defense games.

pswii60

memecomplex said:
As for promoting it, if Sony isn't doing enough, I hope word of mouth gets around as to how good these little affordable games are... and you get to download it on up to 5 machines! I've got a copy on my machine and my girlfriend has one on her machine at her place. I think it's really cool for Sony to let us do this, they've generated a lot of goodwill from me.

I think Sony are doing enough to make the hardcore Internet community aware, certainly GAF anyway. However, I don't think the average Joe is aware of the content on PSN Store, in the same way they might be about XBLA for instance.

XBLA has been far more integrated in to the 360 dashboard with ads etc, whereas you have to connect to the actual PS Store before you see anything on the PS3. Also Sony have been reluctant to give away free stuff via voucher codes in stores so far to help promote the service (eg free Uno code with cameras and some accessories etc).

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I want to see all these games do well, and I think Sony need to push them to the average user better. Although I am sure this is something we'll see in future firmware updates and Home. Super Stardust HD at < 100k sold (according to leaderboard) makes me sad.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
pswii60 said:
I think Sony are doing enough to make the hardcore Internet community aware, certainly GAF anyway. However, I don't think the average Joe is aware of the content on PSN Store, in the same way they might be about XBLA for instance.

XBLA has been far more integrated in to the 360 dashboard with ads etc, whereas you have to connect to the actual PS Store before you see anything on the PS3. Also Sony have been reluctant to give away free stuff via voucher codes in stores so far to help promote the service (eg free Uno code with cameras and some accessories etc).

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I want to see all these games do well, and I think Sony need to push them to the average user better. Although I am sure this is something we'll see in future firmware updates and Home. Super Stardust HD at < 100k sold (according to leaderboard) makes me sad.

When announced, I though the Information Board would have promoted the Store content but turned out to be a total waste of everything. And that's for three reasons:

1) Content it links to is generally old (at least in Italy). And it doesn't link straight to any Store content but rather to an official website. It's basically an old news feed.
2) Needs action by the user (to bring it up and hit the links) wheras promotional stuff shouldn't require any. Has to be "in your face".
3) It's text based. Nobody reads.

SamBishop said:
Wait, huh? I see zero shaders in the US press version, good sir. Me am confus-ed. I will say, though, that the slowdown makes be a little sad given what's going on. Otherwise, the version I can only assume will hit the PSN soon is fucking rad-tastic, but that's just because I love Tower Defense games.

Well I'm not a technical person, but there is cell-shading going on, and the colour palette and smooth shading is something that can only be suggested on an SNES console.

pswii60 said:

Well as long as people who enjoy the game talk about it word of mouth should spread pretty quickly.

Remy

pswii60 said:

Sony does love to mail out once a week with announcements regarding the new releases. I get emails on my JP account email, and I get them for the US store as well.

Is this like Desktop Tower Defense? It looks pretty similar, just that the camera is closer to the battlefield. If this is true, I'll be all over this.

snack said:
Is this like Desktop Tower Defense? It looks pretty similar, just that the camera is closer to the battlefield. If this is true, I'll be all over this.

Yes, yes it is. But it is so much more user friendly. You're no longer controlling a disembodied pointer but a character. It's a smart way to transpose RTS controls to the PS3 controller while making it that much more involving. It's also the only game of it's type that I know of that allows 2 player co-op (offline). Slick graphics, slick interface, super sweet ambient "Muji" type of music... it's such a joy. I'm watching my non-videogaming girlfriend try an ace a stage while I type this, and it's just such an a pleasant game to have on in the background. Lots of nice little details abound, gently swaying trees that shudder when a big boss character stomps its way towards your little flock, and gently rolling cloud cover shadows over the landscape... it's brilliant. Especially on a 60" 1080p Kuro:) So sharp!!!

I did try Desktop Tower Defense after playing Monsters, and I didn't like it as much as Monsters.

Kinan

memecomplex said:
Yes, yes it is. But it is so much more user friendly. You're no longer controlling a disembodied pointer but a character. It's a smart way to transpose RTS controls to the PS3 controller while making it that much more involving. It's also the only game of it's type that I know of that allows 2 player co-op (offline). Slick graphics, slick interface, super sweet ambient "Muji" type of music... it's such a joy. I'm watching my non-videogaming girlfriend try an ace a stage while I type this, and it's just such an a pleasant game to have on in the background. Lots of nice little details abound, gently swaying trees that shudder when a big boss character stomps its way towards your little flock, and gently rolling cloud cover shadows over the landscape... it's brilliant. Especially on a 60" 1080p Kuro:) So sharp!!!

I did try Desktop Tower Defense after playing Monsters, and I didn't like it as much as Monsters.

Day 1!

I respect the concept of Desktop Defense, but in truth I didn't really like it either, it was too abstract for me. Monsters though it's a different story. Love it.

Give it a try, it's cheap, so if it doesn't gel with you it's no biggie.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I still prefer the Sunken defense way of doing things. Creating elaborate mazes and skillfully placing units is so much more fun than dabbling with upgrades.

HiVision said:
also out in Hong Kong so it seems:

http://asia.playstation.com/eng_hk/index.php?q=node/1258

How many people own ps3s in hong kong I wonder?

Singapore, Taiwan and HK get pretty much the same downloadable content when it comes to games. We even get a few Japanese language only games up for grabs. But we do lag behind when it comes to getting games like Everyday Shooter and Pain. Can't we all just get games at the same time? It's the internet age after all.

I bet a lot of peeps in HK own a PS3. The Asian Playstation HQ is based there, just like a lot of people own an Xbox 360 in Singapore. The Asian 360 HQ is based here, so it's like homeground advantage.

HiVision

memecomplex said:
Singapore, Taiwan and HK get pretty much the same downloadable content when it comes to games. We even get a few Japanese language only games up for grabs. But we do lag behind when it comes to getting games like Everyday Shooter and Pain. Can't we all just get games at the same time? It's the internet age after all.

I bet a lot of peeps in HK own a PS3. The Asian Playstation HQ is based there, just like a lot of people own an Xbox 360 in Singapore. The Asian 360 HQ is based here, so it's like homeground advantage.

How is it in Singapore? The xbox360 is doing better than the ps3 there I take it?

HiVision said:
How is it in Singapore? The xbox360 is doing better than the ps3 there I take it?

The 360 is definitely more visible here, more marketing, more events/roadshows, but ever since the cheaper 40G PS3's been out PS3's been selling like hotcakes. It's actually managed to sell out at a lot of the local game shops. White PS3 is just about impossible to find, unless you buy the set with Winning Eleven packed in.

So you can say that the PS3 is catching up quite a bit.

Remy

ZealousD said:
I still prefer the Sunken defense way of doing things. Creating elaborate mazes and skillfully placing units is so much more fun than dabbling with upgrades.

The place where PJM differs from most TD games is that you have limited spots where you can put towers - in this case, the trees. Sure, there's generally a lot of them, but the path is already pre-defined, so you can't make a maze.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just spent a few hours playing Desktop Tower Defense on my laptop while reformatting my PC. Cant wait for this game. I hope it has high replayability like other tower defense type games. Wish other games like this was out there (like on DS or something).

HiVision

Bearillusion said:
I tried the demo and thought it was awful. Bad demo?

It seems some people love it and some people hate it - for some reason though the demo doesn't give you a proper taste, I have heard a lot of people say they didn't like the demo, bought it anyway because it is cheap and then found themselves really enjoying it.

Some games are like that I suppose.

update: http://www.us.playstation.com/
...seems Monsters is coming out on the 24th now? If it has been updated it must be definite now I suppose.

Bearillusion said:
I tried the demo and thought it was awful. Bad demo?

I'm not sure what you didn't like about it, but I thought that the core mechanic of the game is fun, if you like slot car racing that is. Perfect for pick up and play, easy to get started but hard to master, with lots of variations in race scenarios - I love Sunday Drivers where you have to carefully make your way through a moving gridlock of cars, and the balloon game where you have to inflate your car (as close to bursting as possible) and let it whizz around the track.

But to get maximum enjoyment of this game it's essential that you have a few friends over (and spare controllers). It's a riot as a multiplayer game, one of the best. Expect lots of swearing, laughing and good times all around. (Don't forget to blame the sixaxis for cutting out now and then)

But unlike Calling All Cars, it's actually a pretty decent single player game, the only problem is that you have to unlock the different game modes and tracks by clearing them in the single player tournament. Which is a bit of a pisser for a game that clearly shines in the multiplayer department.

They announced remote play for this game today, pretty cool. I was hoping this game would have it, because this type of non-twitch game is perfect for remote play. Now if only they allow the game to be transferred to the PSP, that'd be PERFECT.

kassatsu

Banned
PhlivoSong said:
They announced remote play for this game today, pretty cool. I was hoping this game would have it, because this type of non-twitch game is perfect for remote play. Now if only they allow the game to be transferred to the PSP, that'd be PERFECT.
Remote play has been announced since the first video on the Japanese site. We even asked people in this thread how well it worked ;p

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Will there be a demo? Sorry I have not read this entire thread.
Pixel Junk Racers had one so "maybe".

bigswords

memecomplex said:

Is this game worth it? How's the co-op like? Is there online co-op??

bigswords

HiVision said:

Yes but it's getting better for Sony, 40 gig PS3 has been selling out. Even the Winning Eleven bundle has been selling out as well.

bigswords said:
Is this game worth it? How's the co-op like? Is there online co-op??

Been playing the game for a few days. A couple impressions.

For one, the game is HARD! It starts out easy enough but it ramps up pretty quickly "To god damn this is hard" pretty fast. You end up playing the levels multiple times to clear them. The levels have rankings and descriptions on them so you know what you are jumping into. But I am only on the medium levels still and it's already brutally hard.

It's one of those games where you have to LOSE a few times in order to learn how to WIN. And unfortunately each stage or level takes quite a long time to play. So when you lose, you just blew like 20 mins of your time.

Still it is quite fun.

It is more fun and seems less difficult in CO-OP mode. There is no online co-op. Only offline 2 player. It's not competitive play. You are working together to defeat the monsters. Coin pick up go to the player who picks them up. But gem pickups are shared in a pool.

This is a summary of the weapons

Cannon - Shoots cannon balls. Probably the overall most useful. Does good damage but has small range that cannot be upgraded. Very good against slower moving targets. Good splash damage hits multiple enemies. Damage can be upgraded. Ground targets only. There are physical damage resistant monsters that have shields. Otherwise the cannon would be over powered.

Arrow - Shoots arrows. Only good against fast targets like spiders. Otherwise pretty much crap. Only hits 1 target per shot and is quite slow at repeating. But it does hit ground as well as air targets. And both damage and range gets upgraded with each level gained. Generally you don't want to build too many, but you much build a couple at least to deal with the very fast targets.

Anti-Air - Shoots down air targets. Not much to say here. It only shoots air targets. Has pretty good range. Totally useless against ground targets.

Laser - Powerful anti air laser gun. can hit multiple targets at time if they are in a line. A bit expensive to buy and build.

Mortar - Basically a powerful cannon. Very large range and damage. Usually you don't build this toward the end of a stage because it is expensive. Ground only of course.

Flame - Flame thrower gun. Very powerful against slow targets. Unfortunately there are some fire resistant monsters.

Tesla - Electric gun. Hits multiple targets at once. Ground only of course. Seems to have limited use from what I have seen.

Hive - Dispatches swarms of these drones all over the stage. Haven't really use these much. Each drone does little damage and they kind of scatter all about so difficult to concentrate attack.

Ice - Almost useless from what I have seen it only slows monsters slightly for a very short time. Maybe if you string several of them in a row they would be effective.

Top Bottom