• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Monsters (PSN)

Ploid 3.0

Thinking twice about buying this now. One of the reasons I've been interested in new PSN games is to pay someone off for letting me download two games for no trade. Need more games on PSN >< and from rich devs. Will get later, thinking about ps3 full games perhaps or save for future ps3 game bulk buy. I might get weak and get this if gaf likes it that much though. Especially if it's less than ten, oh but psn wallet imbalance and oddities.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was also suprised at the price. I thought it would cost the same as what i.e Super Stardust HD is, but PixelJunk Monsters was abit cheaper :)

The game itself is pretty hard in my opinion. Tried it for about 30 minutes or so earlier, got to stage 4. I guess i'll get better when i get the hang of it :)

I wish i had a HDTV for this game since the gamescreen looks pretty small on my 28" CRT TV, but its playable without any problem in my opinion. I will try it some more tomorrow, hopefully i will be better at it then :)

Took me a few goes to do Stage 3 (Easy). You don't get any money from the monsters but you get a nice sum at the start that has to last and there isn't many tress. So it can be quite tough.

Genius game though.

My fave game at the mo. Brilliant! :D

AndyPants

I played the demo last night, and its the first time ever that my wife actively grabbed the second controller and tried to jump into a game. She eventually took over and played the demo several times.

The graphics are spot on, the music is appropriate and the mechanics of upgrading and building have been very appropriately been ported over from the TD PC games, in a somewhat more elegant fashion than I expected.

Its a definite 5-10 dollar purchase later tonight when I get home.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is this more substantial than Desktop Tower Defence, or..?

I've been playing that to death on Kongregate, would this be something nice to move on to, or if I'm exhausting DTD, should I bother with this?

edit - oh wait, there's a demo? I'll try that then.

test_account

XP-39C²
Katana_Strikes said:
Took me a few goes to do Stage 3 (Easy).

Same here, had to try that stage 2-3 times before i made it. I also had to try stage 2, 2 times before i made it. I thought if i had to try several of times on these stages i wonder how hard i.e level 15 will be hehe :\ But i guess the more i play the better i get :)

ram

test_account said:
The game itself is pretty hard in my opinion. Tried it for about 30 minutes or so earlier, got to stage 4. I guess i'll get better when i get the hang of it :)

yupp - no causual gamer will ever see the end! easy should be easy, but its normal/hard here :(

Ferrio

Banned
I'm sad that most people don't know where the tower defense games originated not to mention where the best exist.

Seriously if you guys like tower defense get the Warcraft 3 battlechest cheap, there's TONs of them and way better than desktop defense.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Got Monsters, the Oasis pack, and the DMC4 demo.

Nice.

edit: @Ferrio, TD games started back in Starcraft I think. I actually made my own modifications to Arkguil tower defense back in the day for Warcraft 3. It was badass as hell. Loved WC3 TDs.

Ferrio

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Got Monsters, the Oasis pack, and the DMC4 demo.

Nice.

edit: @Ferrio, TD games started back in Starcraft I think. I actually made my own modifications to Arkguil tower defense back in the day for Warcraft 3. It was badass as hell. Loved WC3 TDs.

I know, It's just sad that people only have gotton to experience really really good and inventive TD's, or even just a simple team TD.

Ploid 3.0

Ferrio said:
I'm sad that most people don't know where the tower defense games originated not to mention where the best exist.

Seriously if you guys like tower defense get the Warcraft 3 battlechest cheap, there's TONs of them and way better than desktop defense.

I heard about that. I'm still limited to a no video card pc though, and like you said that would be the best game. Online play and user made missions no doubt.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Is this more substantial than Desktop Tower Defence, or..?

I've been playing that to death on Kongregate, would this be something nice to move on to, or if I'm exhausting DTD, should I bother with this?

edit - oh wait, there's a demo? I'll try that then.

Download it already! It's awesome.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BobJustBob said:
Japan gets a demo and we don't? That's lame. I'm not going through the hassle of creating a JP account.

You really need to buy it...best PSN game so far. I love it.

G-Bus

Banned
BobJustBob said:
Japan gets a demo and we don't? That's lame. I'm not going through the hassle of creating a JP account.

The demo on the JP store is in English too. Why they couldn't just put it on the NA store is mind boggling.

This games awesome, I just wish they would throw in better support for SD users. It's all very small and makes things a lot more difficult. Plus I can't get a good look at the monsters I'm moidering. :(

C'mon Sony, hurry the fuck up with those dam PSN cards. I'm tired of waiting for games I should be able to buy. Shits ridiculous.

mike23

Bought this today. They suckered me in with the 7.99 for a "limited time" :lol
I only had time to play the tutorial and the first level, but I'm liking it so far.

careful

Cot damn this game is HARD!

I'm on the third (or fourth) easy level and I still can't get past it after 2 tries.
It sucks that the coins/gems drops are not automatically collected.
Dancing on the tower to upgrade is also way to slow.

I still like the game a lot though.. :D

calder

To copy/paste myself:

As I suspected, I really really like PixelJunk Monsters.

Very simple, yet fun and well paced for a tower defense game. The mechanic of slowly upgrading the towers by dancing on them and exploring for hidden loot really helps add a bit of depth. And even on the easy levels you can see replay value in the combination of leaderboards and the fact that unless you're a tower defense savant you can greatly improve your score on every map with repeated plays.

Fantastic version of tower defense, and more difficult than I expected which is a bonus. I don't think anyone will be cruising through this game and finishing it without having to retry some levels at least a few times. :D

awesome game. I'm rank 528 on the First EASY Stage when you press down after the tutorial. I'm not leaving until I hit Top 100! :lol

How does it score? Based on how fast you kill the monsters + Gem + Coins or some other things?

EDIT: Damn, that was Easy stage. WOW. I suck now.

Got this game and it's pretty damn hard. It's also difficult to take advantage of the more specific tweaks of this game, as time is such a premium and you always have to be doing something.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dfyb said:
what are your guy's favorite towers? what's good against spiders?

Arrows are excellent against spiders...in fact, they're the best so far.

Question: will I always have to unlock towers with gems, or will they be unlocked further in the game?

careful

The enemies movement path seem to follow a set pattern (it weaves, rather than follow the middle of the road).
To maximize weapon range, you should pick the trees that are fit nicely with the weaving pattern. It's tough to figure out on the first couple waves though..

calder

Yeah anyone expecting the ice tower to be as uber and potentially life-saving in this game as it is in the web based desktop tower defense prepare for utter disappointment. :lol Just useless that damn thing, barely slows the enemies at all and has shit radius.

I wish the anti air were a bit more effective. They certainly work, and you usually need a few, but while the range is what you'd expect it takes 2 bursts from one to kill a flyer on the easy levels, not nearly as potent as I was expecting them to be.

Having the character on screen you have to run around and having the monsters drop coins is also a neat wrinkle compared to DTD.

And it bears repeating to everyone who hasn't gotten the game: it is SURPRISINGLY HARD - but not cheap or frustrating. Or else I'm just terrible. :D

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
calder said:
Yeah anyone expecting the ice tower to be as uber and potentially life-saving in this game as it is in the web based desktop tower defense prepare for utter disappointment. :lol Just useless that damn thing, barely slows the enemies at all and has shit radius.

I wish the anti air were a bit more effective. They certainly work, and you usually need a few, but while the range is what you'd expect it takes 2 bursts from one to kill a flyer on the easy levels, not nearly as potent as I was expecting them to be.

Having the character on screen you have to run around and having the monsters drop coins is also a neat wrinkle compared to DTD.

And it bears repeating to everyone who hasn't gotten the game: it is SURPRISINGLY HARD - but not cheap or frustrating. Or else I'm just terrible. :D
I found the air towers over powered actually. They shoot fast and have long reach and I usually only have one or two. I'm still on easy though.

Kittonwy

Banned
Zoe said:

SOLD!!!
Indifferent2.gif

dfyb

Banned
careful said:
The enemies movement path seem to follow a set pattern (it weaves, rather than follow the middle of the road).
To maximize weapon range, you should pick the trees that are fit nicely with the weaving pattern. It's tough to figure out on the first couple waves though..
i caught onto this too, but i also noticed not all units follow the same weave. if you build for a specific weave, you'll have some units get by easily.

chubigans said:
Arrows are excellent against spiders...in fact, they're the best so far.
this was my assumption going into the special level where you only fight spiders. eventually the arrow towers are just not enough.

bathala

Banned
i played desktop tower defense the day I download PJM.

damn PJM is HARD. I only got 2 rainbows so far.

the stage with no money, difficulty ramp up real fast. (Difficulty Easy. yah right)

Mrbob

I finally grabbed the japanese demo (thanks for the heads up speevy!), and it is great. Definitely a modified version of DTD which is awesome!

First PSN game I have bought!

Anduron

It gets hard but i'm really enjoying it, if you liked Desktop tower defense you should be all over this. The variety of stages really feels like its gonna give it a lot more replay then DTD too.

Top Bottom