• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Monsters (PSN)

bigswords

PuppetMaster said:
Been playing the game for a few days. A couple impressions.

Good Stuff

Excellent thanks for the heads up! What language are you playing in? I have it in my Asian PSN network but I'm just worried it's in Japanese (aka first version of Tekken on Asian PSN).

bigswords said:
Excellent thanks for the heads up! What language are you playing in? I have it in my Asian PSN network but I'm just worried it's in Japanese (aka first version of Tekken on Asian PSN).

I have the Japanese version but it is fully in English if your PS3 is set for English.

Only found out about remote play today. Will have to give it a try later.

CSSer

Just tried the demo, and it seems quite fun (and addictive if you like tower defense games). If you want to play the demo in English, just download the demo from the JPN store and have your language set to English from the xmb(?).

edit: ah, should have posted in the psn thread.

oneHeero

O man, I cant wait to DL this game. Remote play is sex, coop is sex, just played Tower Defense for the 1st time today and thats sex, tried the demo and its sex, dl'd the theme for my ps3 and its sex.

KTallguy

Banned
I really like the soundtrack they use in the preview trailer.

You can remote play this with the PSP!

OMFG, the soundtrack is fucking awesome!!!!!!! DEMO GET!

I'm so buying this. It's really good, much better than I thought.

Zoe

Is there any way to make the guy move faster? That's the only nitpicky thing I've run into so far.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I cant wait to try co-op with my chum. Someone's gotta do the dancing while someone else does the building, damnit! :lol

Wow, after seeing a few movies of this I was put off. But playing the demo last night I was hooked.

It was so simple to play but so addictive and fun.

SCEE, you better release this tomorrow or there will be hell to pay.

GeoramA

The demo sold me on this. It looked liked a very easy game at first, but it's pretty challenging, especially if your're playing for the high money score.

nofi

Katana_Strikes said:
Wow, after seeing a few movies of this I was put off. But playing the demo last night I was hooked.

It was so simple to play but so addictive and fun.

SCEE, you better release this tomorrow or there will be hell to pay.
It's out tomorrow.

Chris R

HiVision said:
You get a special dash item later on.
You get anything like a gold magnet too? Only complaints about the game, slow movement and you have to go loot teh gold/upgrade items

Gattsu25

Banned
TD HD? How does it stand up compared to some of the more popular flash based TD games?

edit: unless, of course, I'm completely off and this is not, in fact, an HD Tower Defense type game

Chris R

Gattsu25 said:
TD HD? How does it stand up compared to some of the more popular flash based TD games?
Unique

From the demo

mobs come in waves
mobs follow a set path
different types (fast, land, flying, boss, armored, ect)
upgradeable towers (exp, upgrade by standing close to them, spend $$$)

Pretty damn fun

nofi

Interview:

Hi Dylan. So, Monsters is finally released tonight, did the reception to Racers influence the way you finished off Monsters?

Hi. Yes, the reception to Racers influenced us quite a bit - there were a few things we just didn't have time to fit into Racers, given that it was the first in the series. The middle part of the game is really well refined, but the beginning and the end are a bit rough, so first time players (or people who downloaded demo) quite often just didn't 'get it'. This was a shame, because as you yourself know once you get past that initial 'what is THIS?' phase the game is really great fun.

So what have you done to make it more accessible to gamers who were perhaps alienated by Racers?

We added a small tutorial and lots of screen indicators to try and give you a hint at what you should do and I think this will really help people 'get' Monsters as soon as they pick up and play it. We also added a more detailed in-game manual which explains the game more.

So the game is more user-friendly?

Yeah, overall, the game feels more friendly as a result.

Monsters is obviously based on the Tower Defense mechanics, are you a big fan?

Yes, the Tower Defense genre is superb but I always felt the game could be more immersive and a little less 'mechanical', which is why I fleshed it out for Monsters in the way I did.

Do you still play the Flash versions?

After playing Monsters extensively I find it difficult to go back to the Flash versions, but they are a hotbed of ideas because of the quick iteration/turn-around of the developers. Something like Monsters takes 6-8 months and a small team of developers to make.

So how long before the third PixelJunk title, anything you can tell us?

Nothing yet, but I really hope to show a clip at GDC. No promises though. It's crazy and fun in yet another direction.

Elsewhere on the PS3, you worked on the recent Planets visualiser and parts of the XMB - was there anything you were forced to leave out?

Well, nothing too wacky but the original icon rendering we made for the XMB were rendered with refraction and a spectral dispersion type effect which made them look like they were made out of solid glass. It was a bit over the top though so we toned down the settings - however, if you look really closely in the current XMB, you can still see the toned down effect as the icons pass over things (especially if you change your background to something detailed).

And what about the Duck in a Bath tech demo that you did for the PS2 that also appeared on the latest console?

Yes, I had interest in the PS3 duck-in-a-bath - it kind of annoyed me (only a weeny bit tho) that they could take a concept I had created personally and without consulting or even e-mailing me about it make a not particularly good technical demo. In some ways it was even a step back from my PS2 demo which was actually real-time spline curved surface rendering :) But then they came out with a game based on it! :)

And what's for the future for Q-Games aside from PixelJunk?

In the past we've developed a lot of tech stuff behind the scenes for Sony that hasn't seen the light of day, including some really cool stuff a few years back for the PSP. But I'd have to shoot you if I told you more about that. We developed some developer tools too - for example, the original VFPU (vector processor) extensions for the main PSP GCC compiler.

But what we are focusing more on now is interesting graphical experiments or features that can be integrated into the OS.

Do you play any other PSN games, which do you like?

I really like the original and personal stuff like Everyday Shooter, we should all strive to make our games personal in that way. Most games nowadays are way too sterilised.

Well, we're still waiting for that in Europe, so in the meantime why should people buy Monsters?

Because (of course) it is probably the most addicting and fun game you'll play this year!
PR speak aside though, I've made a lot of games over the past 20 years or so and this one has that certain "something", a little bit of magic to it. We are an independent development company and we've funded this entirely ourselves, so no game-sharing please! Every little penny counts and keeps us going!

Thanks for your time, Dylan, and good luck with the game!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I downloaded the demo off the PSN store, and was totally floored. It's actually totally awesome! When I get home tonight, I'm definitely going to have to buy it.

We are an independent development company and we've funded this entirely ourselves, so no game-sharing please! Every little penny counts and keeps us going!

Anyone that robs money from an indie developer has no soul. Don't game share this one, guys. We should be supporting indie devs more than we do.

nofi

thetrin said:
Anyone that robs money from an indie developer has no soul. Don't game share this one, guys. We should be supporting indie devs more than we do.

Shame he couldn't get Sony to lock it down like they did with Warhawk. Don't share this game, guys!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
nofi said:
Shame he couldn't get Sony to lock it down like they did with Warhawk. Don't share this game, guys!

Yeah, a real shame. This is one of those few titles that game sharing really shouldn't work for. These guys need the cash baaaadly.

Btw, I'm about to go buy some points at the convenience store. How much is it on JP PSN? 900 yen?

Jtrizzy

So why can't they disable sharing like on Warhawk? What are other games that we shouldn't share according to GAF? Just curious as I do a fair amount of this.

thetrin

Jtrizzy said:
So why can't they disable sharing like on Warhawk? What are other games that we shouldn't share according to GAF? Just curious as I do a fair amount of this.

Imo, games from small fledgling devs really shouldnt be game shared.

Afrikan

We are an independent development company and we've funded this entirely ourselves, so no game-sharing please! Every little penny counts and keeps us going!

u guys read that...... I can understand the young kids needing to share games....but everyone 16 and up.......come on guys..... $5.00-$10.00 games...?

and whats up with this.......

Yes, I had interest in the PS3 duck-in-a-bath - it kind of annoyed me (only a weeny bit tho) that they could take a concept I had created personally and without consulting or even e-mailing me about it make a not particularly good technical demo. In some ways it was even a step back from my PS2 demo which was actually real-time spline curved surface rendering

I would love to see him create his own PS3 (game) version......but I wouldn't mind if they borrowed the Rub-a-Dub music though.....

Acosta

I bought the japanese version and I loved it, great style , nice music and a (imo) excellent recreation of tower defense mechanics. I really think most of you will enjoy it.

Jtrizzy

So most people don't know if a developer is small or not. Would HVB fall under this category? Out of curiosity, is it possible to share GHIII/rb dlc?

nofi

Afrikan said:
and whats up with this...

He made the PS2 tech demo, then someone else made the (rubbish) PS3 one without asking him. That's the impression I got.

Anyone asking for Gamesharing on this game deserves death. Or a sore leg, or something.

Ephemeris

nofi said:
He made the PS2 tech demo, then someone else made the (rubbish) PS3 one without asking him. That's the impression I got.

Anyone asking for Gamesharing on this game deserves death. Or a sore leg, or something.

Downloaded the Japanese demo a couple days ago. I love the game, though I'm a little disappointed that there's only offline co-op -_-

I'll support the Dev though.
Someone should gameshare Everyday Shooter with me however. :lol

ram

thetrin said:
Imo, games from small fledgling devs really shouldnt be game shared.

i would agree with that, but screw it:

1. no psn cards are aviable - only debit card - which isnt that common in germany

2. delays of european releases - where is my everyday shooter (sure, i game shared the game now from the us of a - but i would have bought it here)

Steroyd

You know if I buy interest to increase my coins does that carry on into the next stage?

and how do purposely aim for a highscore, I get a perfect and it's nowhere near the top.

And I'm 1500+ something already...wow. o_O

Steroyd said:
You know if I buy interest to increase my coins does that carry on into the next stage?

No

I finally got to the Hard stages. It was a bitch to get 7 rainbows to unlock it. To get a rainbow you have to get a perfect. No monsters can get into your village. The Mines you unlock at the last Medium stage do help a lot.

Almyn

Can anyone help me out with the level Special 2 please?I just can't figure this out.It seems to demand Laser towers long before i am able to research them.Neither anti air or arrow towers seem to be able to take down the bigger orange flying enemies.

Steroyd

Wow I need to play the tutorial more, I can't believe I missed it that if you dance at a tower long enough it upgrades itself without using any gems, this changes how I play the game by a LOT! :O

Ephemeris

Steroyd said:
Wow I need to play the tutorial more, I can't believe I missed it that if you dance at a tower long enough it upgrades itself without using any gems, this changes how I play the game by a LOT! :O

LOL I didn't know that :lol

methane47

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•So did any one tell the people in the PSN update thread not to share this game yet?

I'm definitely gonna support them .. if its $5.00 .. if its $10.. then.. ummm ... i'll wait for a price drop.

Crisis

Banned
methane47 said:
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•So did any one tell the people in the PSN update thread not to share this game yet?

I'm definitely gonna support them .. if its $5.00 .. if its $10.. then.. ummm ... i'll wait for a price drop.

Good point. I'll do that now.

Top Bottom