• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Monsters (PSN)

Remember kids. Leave feedback and suggestions. Dylan is watching you all <3

Thanks for the mail, we appreciate hearing from people who are enjoying what we make.

We will judge people’s reactions and decide whether to create a map pack or some kind of content in the future. We don’t want to do too much of that though as we’d like to make Monsters II. The same goes for the PSP version – you know you can play it via remote play right now? However, it would be nice to have a native PSP version.

No re-skinning or modding is available – but that is something we will consider for Monsters II. (no promises however)

Regards

Dylan Cuthbert

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, this game is TOUGH, but I love it. Ice tower sucked at first, but when I added it to a huge cluster of cannons, it was all over for most of the enemies.

LowParry

The demo was damn fun. Just started my DMC4 demo (again, long story), and purchased the game so it will come soon. I also picked up another PSN game called Snakeball. Pretty damn fun.

Poigea

Just beat the tutorial and the easy level, I can definitely see this game becoming very addicting. I have only played Desktop Defense once, but so far I am REALLY enjoying this. Now I just gotta try and get my girlfriend to play 2-player with me later tonight.

bathala said:
i played desktop tower defense the day I download PJM.

damn PJM is HARD. I only got 2 rainbows so far.

the stage with no money, difficulty ramp up real fast. (Difficulty Easy. yah right)

I can't get past it. I do okay until the 6th (extra HP yetis) and 9th (spiders) waves, those are just killing me. If I have enough cannons to kill the yetis then the spiders get me, if I plan for the spider rush the yetis take out so many I can't let any through in the future waves.

My enthusiasm has started to take a bit of a knock. There's hard, then there's 'my towers do so little damage it's like chipping away at Everest with a toothpick' hard. I'll sleep on it and give it another go tomorrow and see if I can make some headway.

dfyb

Banned
passing a level is one thing. getting a rainbow can take careful planning. i'm really impressed with the difficulty.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Die Squirrel Die said:
I can't get past it. I do okay until the 6th (extra HP yetis) and 9th (spiders) waves, those are just killing me. If I have enough cannons to kill the yetis then the spiders get me, if I plan for the spider rush the yetis take out so many I can't let any through in the future waves.

My enthusiasm has started to take a bit of a knock. There's hard, then there's 'my towers do so little damage it's like chipping away at Everest with a toothpick' hard. I'll sleep on it and give it another go tomorrow and see if I can make some headway.

Stock up on arrows, use cannons in the top right corner (when they first enter) and only have two AA guns at the most. That's how I got it.

chubigans said:
Stock up on arrows, use cannons in the top right corner (when they first enter) and only have two AA guns at the most. That's how I got it.

That sounds pretty much what I've been doing, so I'll ask further. What sort of cannon to arrow ratio were you using? I was going about 50/50, because I just cannot see how you can get past the yetis without a ton of cannons. Arrows are almost completely useless against them.

Big-E

I almost beat the easy level you guys were on but I left one god damn flyer through with basically no health. I just built all cannon on the top forested area of the map and full arrow and aa towers opposite them. I tried to repeat this but I can't do as good. Now I keep letting a yeti in and a couple spiders.

KTallguy

Banned
I know you guys are listening, so I have to say, I fucking LOVE the soundtrack! Can you put it on your website? Or help me give you money for it ? ? ?

If it was just a little bit easier I'd be having more fun! Might need to get a friend over to help me beat it co-op, it's too damn hard solo.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Die Squirrel Die said:
That sounds pretty much what I've been doing, so I'll ask further. What sort of cannon to arrow ratio were you using? I was going about 50/50, because I just cannot see how you can get past the yetis without a ton of cannons. Arrows are almost completely useless against them.

Arrows are only good for air/spider assults. It's 65/35 favoring cannons. Just be sure to place almost all your cannons in the top right, with two on the middle left on the far edge of the screen (when they show up again).

Dear Dylan

Please make a Pinball game for PSN along the lines of Pinball FX on XBLA. I want it to look realistic so park the cuteness at the door.

Regards
Bearillusion

PS I bought PJM

noonche

I appear to have just lost 4 hours of my life... I wonder where they went? :D

So, do you ever get to the point that more than three towers are unlocked at the start of a level?

I've just started on the "normal" levels (I could not get a rainbow on 3-Easy, the one where you start with 2000 and the enemies don't give money).

My only complaint is that the slanted perspective makes it harder to tell if enemies will be in range of a given tower sometimes.

OatmealMu

Whoa, you guys weren't kidding when you said it was hard. I'm trying to get a rainbow on the first level after the tutorial. Managed to pass the level "easily" enough, but something always seems to get through. Finding a balance between weapons is difficult.

bathala

Banned
I just wish those diamond upgrades doesn't disappear. I'll be busy standing on a unit trying to upgrade and I see a diamond upgrade on the other side of the map. Walk across the map, try to avoid enemies, and just wish it doesn't disappear before u get there.

remote play is awesome

Wow...first game to ever crash my PS3. I don't recommend pressing start or home while in the unit build menu...

As for the game itself, it's great, but the difficulty really does come off like an obvious tuning failure...is co-op exactly the same (maybe it's tuned for that?)? I love most of what this game brings to the table, but Desktop Tower Defense did a far better job of ramping.

Steroyd

What I did with easy 2 (EASY :lol :lol :lol) was research for a fire tower ASAP they take down those extra hp yeti's fast enough.

I love this game and I wish I knew how to purposely aim for a highscore, after a couple of hours of getting a rainbow on easy 2 (EASY :lol :lol :lol) I'm curious on how the game came to the conclusion of my total points.

Ploid 3.0

Steroyd said:
What I did with easy 2 (EASY :lol :lol :lol) was research for a fire tower ASAP they take down those extra hp yeti's fast enough.

I love this game and I wish I knew how to purposely aim for a highscore, after a couple of hours of getting a rainbow on easy 2 (EASY :lol :lol :lol) I'm curious on how the game came to the conclusion of my total points.

When you say research you mean use those diamonds to buy the locked buldings? I was wondering how you go about getting those. I mainly used the diamonds on buffing up my cannon towers.

The OP should have less ginormus pictures and more details, and faqs.

Chris R

I dance at my towers to get them to level up. Save teh crystals for the new towers. Canon range blows though, seems like the enemies go just outside of their range after I get them to black flag :lol

alterno69

Banned
To those having trouble on the third level, remember you can destroy towers and get some money back so once the last wave of flying guyd come at you destroy the shootting towers and build more cannons and arrows for the last wave of spiders, i've managed to get to them whit all my guys alive but then the damn spiders come at you real fast lol.

It helped playing the demo like 10 times yesterday. I don't go to the next level unless i get a rainbow on my current one.

Steroyd

Ploid 3.0 said:
When you say research you mean use those diamonds to buy the locked buldings? I was wondering how you go about getting those. I mainly used the diamonds on buffing up my cannon towers.

The OP should have less ginormus pictures and more details, and faqs.

If you dance at a tower long enough or it kills enough enemies (or a bit of both) they level up without gems.

Go through all the trees sometimes a gem or coins fall out, it helps on the first few waves.

nofi

This game is all kinds of awesome, I love it.

I'm not very good at it, but at least I feel the need to get better!

Ploid 3.0

Steroyd said:
If you dance at a tower long enough or it kills enough enemies (or a bit of both) they level up without gems.

Go through all the trees sometimes a gem or coins fall out, it helps on the first few waves.

Oh wow, didn't know the dance thing. Well I saw it in this thread but I thought they meant how he dance after you feed it enough diamonds. This game just got a whole lot deeper for me.

Edit
THIS GAME IS AWESOME!
mrxzef.gif

Ploid 3.0

rhfb said:
I dance at my towers to get them to level up. Save teh crystals for the new towers. Canon range blows though, seems like the enemies go just outside of their range after I get them to black flag :lol

lol man, I would get situations where I'd be depending on one last cannon to hit the monsters and sometimes they get smart and avoid it. #(#$(%@ Love this. And yea they seem to avoid the tower more if you get them to a high upgrade.

Queeg

Steroyd said:

Buy the minimal amount of towers to clear a level perfect, don't spend your gems upgrading just buy a higher wave bonus. 7 gems for 10%, 8 for 15% etc. and when the boss comes out try selling everything off except the last tower that you kill him with. Also sell your anti-air towers off the second the last fliers are killed.

Dante

Goddamn, I can't progress till I get the rainbows, this game is gonna take me forever. Best $7.99 I've spent in a long time.

Dante said:
Goddamn, I can't progress till I get the rainbows, this game is gonna take me forever. Best $7.99 I've spent in a long time.
Exactly. Custom soundtracks would be nice, but listening to the original soundtrack, I don't think I'd need it.

El-Suave

I also appreciate us Europeans getting the game at the same time as our friends in the states and that we are not being raped with an unfair pricepoint compared to the US.

Kinan

El-Suave said:
I also appreciate us Europeans getting the game at the same time as our friends in the states and that we are not being raped with an unfair pricepoint compared to the US.

Second that.

PJM is awesome. Awesome is PJM.

Yagharek

It's one of those games that just clicks straight away. Feels like Advance Wars for the first time (in the sense that everything feels right and logical). Love it already, so charming.

RandomVince said:
It's one of those games that just clicks straight away. Feels like Advance Wars for the first time (in the sense that everything feels right and logical). Love it already, so charming.

I've never played advance wars.

Furoba

Recommended buy. I am in the top 30 in some levels. :D

Just can't seem to perfect the level with only 4 trees. First there's normal enemies, then there's elemental enemies and then there's element-resistant tough enemies. The latter always kill me. Anyone how to tackle them best?

Ploid 3.0

I wish there was a manual that went more into the towers and their strengths and weaknesses vs the monsters. Like the stone golems vs arrows = spit wad vs wood (Like SSHD does at the first start). Although that's like a duh situation.

Upgrading, does that increase the range, and atk power? How about fire rate, or does it add to everything all at once for one point (doubt that)?

Top Bottom