• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Monsters (PSN)

rc213

Ploid 3.0 said:
I wish there was a manual that went more into the towers and their strengths and weaknesses vs the monsters. Like the stone golems vs arrows = spit wad vs wood (Like SSHD does at the first start). Although that's like a duh situation.

Upgrading, does that increase the range, and atk power? How about fire rate, or does it add to everything all at once for one point (doubt that)?

+1 Agree

Just purchased this baby after about an hour on the training level on the demo. SWEET!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Eurogamer review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=91414

That said, PixelJunk Monsters is undoubtedly an engaging addition to the increasingly fertile PSN range when played at a leisurely pace. For the sake of a few quid, you can't really go wrong. 20 levels might not sound like a lot, but this is one that will keep you going for ages, and with a highly entertaining co-op mode thrown in and online high-score tables, it's yet another PSN title worth checking out.

8/10

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just wanted to throw some quick co-op impressions...it's awesome, no, AWESOME with a friend. I was the "dancing/mechanic guy" and my friend was the "treasurer/scientist" guy, so I'd upgrade and repair units and my friend would collect all the coins and get back to the lab to research more weapons. We'd both decide on some strategic gun locations.

We got all the rainbows on the easy levels, so it's definitely "easier" than single player (which is TOUGH). So much fun.

dralla said:
"As for PixelJunk Monsters, it's simply not ready. We always make our best effort to finish the titles we review, but it's a very challenging game and I'm simply not done with it. I can definitely recommend it despite the steep difficulty, but for further analysis you'll have to wait. Apologies. (Though keep an eye out for it on this Friday's 1UP Show.)"
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8593439&publicUserId=5846636

old?

So we won't get a review? Boo.

Instead of me making a new thread which I know it would end up being about Monsters. I'll keep the information in here. It's not really news but it's worth a mention. For those that don't have the game, get it. You need to have it in your PSN collection! each hour you don't have it, a fat kid loses weight!

anyways, here's a snippet of information [maybe be old but when you email someone it's better than playing an RPG lawlz]
We will judge people’s reactions and decide whether to create a map pack or some kind of content in the future. We don’t want to do too much of that though as we’d like to make Monsters II. The same goes for the PSP version – you know you can play it via remote play right now? However, it would be nice to have a native PSP version.

No re-skinning or modding is available – but that is something we will consider for Monsters II. (no promises however)

The next game *may* be shown during the IGF summit part of GDC, I haven’t decided how much I can show yet. We need to decide on a name for it before I show it.

We have some cool new ideas that I want to try and include into Monsters II, more reaction from the enemies is one of them, but there will be some major new features, watch this space.

A bit about the third game:

Heheh, not yet… but it is something quite original and has a stunningly good soundtrack. (it *isn’t* a rhythm game)

Random stuff :lol :

The mailing list is a good idea – we’ll definitely set something up. Maybe after a few more games we’ll set up some forums too so people can suggest stuff and get an insight into how we make games here.

Let's all email and ask if he'll do a vertical or horizontal Shooter with a plethora of customization for the ship and upgrades. :D

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
They should try to make their coop and competitive online for Monster 2. That would blow most PSN games out of the water.

PistolGrip said:
They should try to make their coop and competitive online for Monster 2. That would blow most PSN games out of the water.

Definitely but they need to work on AI first. it's all like fixed on a path ;o

Zoc

Let's ask him to make the next game a little less difficult than climbing Mt. Everest.

I love this game to pieces, but I think it can learn something from two games in particular: Yoshi's Island DS and Everyday Shooter.

Yoshi's Island had an awesome difficulty balance than made getting to the end of the game a piece of cake, but collecting every item a nightmare. PJM should be the same. Progress shouldn't depend on getting rainbows. Instead, you should get some other reward for them, like new game modes, accessories for your little dude (this is a Japanese game after all), or whatever.

Everyday Shooter had the brilliant, frustration-evaporating idea of letting you keep your points even after failing, using them to buy extra lives. If PJM had let the player keep money, unused gems, researched towers, etc, it would have made for a smoother experience, but not necessarily an easier one in the long run.

Slacker

I'm loving it!™

Sometimes it's the little touches that impress me about this kind of game. I love how when you finish a level, it immediately shows your online ranking at the top of the screen. It's not a selling point, and I'd never miss it were it not there, but it's a great touch. I love seeing attention to detail like that. It's nice that the ranking apparently updates instantly too. Did you notice that ROCK BAND?

If you want to see how that can be botched - grab Geometry Wars Galaxies for the Wii. To see your ranking you have to click leaderboard, click yes you want to connect, wait, see the ranking, click disconnect, click yes you want to freaking disconnect, etc. Rock Band isn't much better for that matter.

Furoba

S. L. said:
arrrrrrrrr
Special Stage 1
i will beat you!!!

try placing normal towers everywhere you can, and focus gems and dancing on the center towers. You can beat the boss on arrows alone, if you have a few gold towers that is. ;)

djkimothy

I loved the tower defence maps on W3, so this was a huge surprise for me.

I find this game pretty hard at first, which i like since that's what TD is all about.

I must say, I hate those spider things, they're too fast for me to take out. :(

Almyn

Furoba said:
You can beat the boss on arrows alone, if you have a few gold towers that is. ;)

Nice, I didn't know this.I need two more rainbows to open up the hard levels, And i've been avoiding replaying this level because the first time through was such a pain.I just assumed i would need cannons for the boss, Which is probably why it took about 15 tries to finish it the first time around.

I asked earlier, But i'll ask again now.I'm in need of some tips for the level Special 2.I'm unsure what i need to take down the waves of orange bees.Usually i would put down a few laser towers, But they arrive so early in the level that i don't have enough gems to research them.And after 1 wave of bees half my flock is gone.

fulsome

Ploid 3.0 said:
I wish there was a manual that went more into the towers and their strengths and weaknesses vs the monsters. Like the stone golems vs arrows = spit wad vs wood (Like SSHD does at the first start). Although that's like a duh situation.

Upgrading, does that increase the range, and atk power? How about fire rate, or does it add to everything all at once for one point (doubt that)?

I agree, although it seems that as you progress through the game, more things happen and it just gets confusing!

I tried Medium 1 just to see how bad it is compared to Easy 3 (I think I'm still trying to rainbow this) and there are new enemies, some weird aura around them, different coloured life bars and... that's all I saw before I died... :(

Some things I noticed, for the dancing, you should dance on towers that are attacking/killing. You should still dance on towers when there's nothing to do, BUT if you can dance on a attacking one, I would suggest that. For example, in Easy 1, I place 2 cannons near the beginning such that they complete just before the enemies come. If you dance on the left one when it attacks, then move to the right one when it attacks, both cannons will get an exp upgrade. So there's no reason to stay on one which is waiting to attack when another one near it will attack. You will notice that you get a lot more exp this way.

The upgrades that a tower gets is shown in the upgrade menu. It seems to go as follows

- arrows -> range
- cannons -> damage
- anti-air -> damage (more missiles or whatever they shot)

Now, they do seem to get minor bonuses for the other part although it's kind of hard to tell. I think Arrows get a minor damage increase, but the range is the one that improves.

You can tell which they get by looking at the upgrade icon when you press X on a tower.

gameplay seems to be pretty balanced for co-op - girlfriend and i got up to medium 3 tonight after a few hours messing around. it's a really cool game, ridiculously simple yet deep enough to last a while. lots of different options for strategy

those big flying balloon men on the bridge level are going to be tough nuts to crack, though

Furoba

bsjezz said:
gameplay seems to be pretty balanced for co-op - girlfriend and i got up to medium 3 tonight after a few hours messing around. it's a really cool game, ridiculously simple yet deep enough to last a while. lots of different options for strategy

those big flying balloon men on the bridge level are going to be tough nuts to crack, though

Try placing two lasers on the left so they can target both left as right paths, plus another laser on the right part, close to your base but in the reach of the left and lower path, along with a few regular anti-air. Always helps to level up the first two lasers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just started, seems very enjoyable and charming.

Also different enough from the tower defense fare on kongregate et al, although I don't know how it contrasts with the tower defence games that people have referenced in relation to warcraft. I feel bad for not having tried them now, I might root them out..

S. L.

Furoba said:
try placing normal towers everywhere you can, and focus gems and dancing on the center towers. You can beat the boss on arrows alone, if you have a few gold towers that is. ;)
thanks, that worked... but its kinda cheap heh

Baker

Banned
Sorry if this was asked (went through the last two pages), but how does the scoring system actually work?

Do you get more points for having less towers? Beating the level or enemies quicker? Etc etc.

I played through the easy route last night and I want to start going after the leaderboards now.

satori

Shiet, me and my gf stayed up all night playing this game. Too fun, too good. Now I am at my desk, lack of sleep. I should have done what she did and called in sick. Damn work, if I did not have this deadline to meet, and a huge meeting to attend...

HiVision

satori said:
Shiet, me and my gf stayed up all night playing this game. Too fun, too good. Now I am at my desk, lack of sleep. I should have done what she did and called in sick. Damn work, if I did not have this deadline to meet, and a huge meeting to attend...

a lot of people seem to be playing it with their gfs and wives, does it lead to arguments? :D

Steroyd

Fuck me 20 waves on the special stage! o_O

So glad I died I would have been PISSED if I saw "Wave 11" thinking there's only 10.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
This doesn't have online co-op, right?

I mean, bought it already. Cute, fun TD game? Sold.

RuGalz

Anyone know how to maximize the score? Is it the total coin you eventually collect throughout the level or is it how fast you kill the waves of mobs? It's been puzzling me that I'm a couple thousand points off from top score in most of the levels.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hey Dylan, music is AWESOME!
The bass from the boss's jumps actually rocks my apartment, I had to turn the subwoofer down!

Why Dolby Digital only though?
Time to upgrade to 5.1 LPCM.

(please add online co-op sometime, or put it in II)

CSSer said:
nope, only offline co-op.
not saying I won't get this, but if it had online co-op, I'd already own it. I'm fucking dieing for a new decent psn game with online (not wowhawk). Pain, StarDust, pixel junk racers are all games I like, that would be tits if I could get another person in a game.

I need my brother to help me out, just to have someone dance to get the towers up.

The special easy was fun, I just built all arrow towers, which did well, until the boss, then made some cannon towers.

Also, positioned correctly, flame towers decimate everything.

RuGalz said:
Anyone know how to maximize the score? Is it the total coin you eventually collect throughout the level or is it how fast you kill the waves of mobs? It's been puzzling me that I'm a couple thousand points off from top score in most of the levels.

Same, I can't figure it out. I won't leave the first Easy Level until I make it in Top 100.

I tried using differnet towers. less towers, collect lots of gems/coins, kill the monster quick, and all that, but i'm stuck in the 8k range. I wonder how other people do it though o_O

distrbnce

Banned
Just wanted to join the Fapfest. This game is so great. So beautiful, so balanced. F'ing hard. Looking forward to beating it.

Monsters II --> Online Co-op

Also, please don't release II right after the next Burnout, thx. Work/sleep is suffering.

S. L.

DMPrince said:
Same, I can't figure it out. I won't leave the first Easy Level until I make it in Top 100.

I tried using differnet towers. less towers, collect lots of gems/coins, kill the monster quick, and all that, but i'm stuck in the 8k range. I wonder how other people do it though o_O
i'm on 113 on the first easy level i think, almost there :p

michaeld

Banned
I just created a Japanese account and downloaded the demo, WOW! I made it all the way through the level and it pulled me right in, I felt desperation if a monster made it past my defenses!

Chris_C

Just bought the game, downloaded it. Haven't played it just yet though I'm itching to do so, I have an African Cup of Nations tie to watch first (GO! Super Eagles!)

The theme is awesome though, best one I've seen yet!

alterno69

Banned
Just beat easy 3 with rainbow, what i did was build my cannons on the top row and arrows on the bottom, i'm talking about the frist road. A couple of turrets there too but cannons always on the top row, for some reason they have more range when they're fireing down, guess it has to do with the prespective.

On the second road close to the base i buld 2 torrets and the rest where cannons. Once the last wave of flys attack destroy all the turrets you've build and build cannons and arrows.

At the end i sold all my towers as the boss went out of their reach as i believe money is a factor for ranking.

I used all my gems to level up, beat the level with the basic towers.

Camwi

Just bought the game and played through the tutorial and the first level. I'm lovin' it so far, but I'm sure the difficulty spike is going to kick me in the ass.

Top Bottom