• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Firestorm said:
Damn. Wrong tab.

I will save it by saying "Crushed, wait for stream and fast forward you r-tard"

I'll also use this opportunity to say SAKURAI GIVE US A CREW BATTLE MODE PLEASE LOVE YOU MUCH K THNX

Edit: Wait a sec, this was the right tab. Sort of. MarkMan hi. Young Link? Hi.
Please never say the words "crew battle" ever again.

yo dis my smaaaaash broz crew fa real straight up g

Firestorm

Crushed said:
Please never say the words "crew battle" ever again.

yo dis my smaaaaash broz crew fa real straight up g

Yeeah, but you're going to change the name for a standard type of battle people have been doing for years. Crew is just the word people in Smash use for Clan. Holy shit guys, synonyms.

KevinCow said:
Tourney rules... so... fucking... boring...

Um, other than "items off" what are you referring to? Or do you ban Fountain of Dreams and anything less than 4 players in your "non-tourney" matches?

I don't see what's interesting about free for alls. Seems mindless to me. The kind of stuff that gets boring in a month.

Firestorm

Fireblend said:
I get to kick 3 of my friends' asses at the same time? :lol

I don't want to kick ass though =( I want a challenge. I dunno, I got so bored of Smash in January 02. I wasn't able to get back into it until I found out about the competitive side of it. Different things for different folks. Same thing happened with Pokemon. Took me a long time before I found out about the competitive side and got back into it.

It's just slightly annoying casual fans like KevinCow start bashing on people not playing the same way they do.

DrDogg

Reading through the last few pages on this thread has been interesting. I can't reveal anything, but I don't like false information so I will say that the newspaper is not accurate.

I can also say that I don't understand the 240 hours (all characters) comment about SSE. This comment completely baffles me.

EDIT: Credit to Firestorm for the newspaper thing. :D

Teasel

Firestorm said:
Yeeah, but you're going to change the name for a standard type of battle people have been doing for years. Crew is just the word people in Smash use for Clan. Holy shit guys, synonyms.

Um, other than "items off" what are you referring to? Or do you ban Fountain of Dreams and anything less than 4 players in your "non-tourney" matches?

I don't see what's interesting about free for alls. Seems mindless to me. The kind of stuff that gets boring in a month.

free for all are chaotic,it's the same reason why i like big blue stage so much
"OH GOD I'M FALLING THOSE FUCKING CAR ARE GOING TO FAST I'M GOING TO DIE!!!"

Fireblend

Banned
DrDogg said:
Reading through the last few pages on this thread has been interesting. I can't reveal anything, but I don't like false information so I will say that the newspaper is not accurate.

I can also say that I don't understand the 240 hours (all characters) comment about SSE. This comment completely baffles me.
Damn now all those "prophets" are gonna start popping up here too :( if you're gonna leak something leak it all at once or just shut up. Also sp0rsk, don't worry about posting, I'll do it for you.

Take all leaks/speculation to the designated thread for that purpose. This is for dojo updates only

edit: And I debunked the newspaper article, no credit-stealing pls :lol

DrDogg

Fireblend said:
Damn now all those "prophets" are gonna start popping up here too :( if you're gonna leak something leak it all at once or just shut up. Also sp0rsk, don't worry about posting, I'll do it for you.

Take all leaks/speculation to the designated thread for that purpose. This is for dojo updates only

edit: And I debunked the newspaper article, no credit-stealing pls :lol

lol, I basically just agreed with you sir. Calm down. :lol

And I'm not trying to be a prophet, I just don't get the 240 hours comment. Everything we've seen on SSE you don't really run through it with the character of your choosing. Thus, I'm baffled.

EDIT: I see how you misunderstood with the "I can't reveal anything comment" my bad. I meant that I don't know anything and can't reveal anything but I know the paper isn't accurate. My bad again. ^_^

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
KevinCow said:
Tourney rules... so... fucking... boring...
QFT

That was not exciting, and I watched the EvsW one too. I just let it load in another tab and kept skipping ahead to new fights to see if maybe different people playing would make it fun.

Nope.

I can see how people would be completely sick of Smash if they got into that scene.

KevinCow

Banned
Firestorm said:
It's just slightly annoying casual fans like KevinCow start bashing on people not playing the same way they do.
And tourneybitches such as yourself assume everyone who doesn't play by your shitty rules is a casual player. I'm not a casual player. I just like actually playing Smash Bros., not the boring, shitty game that you play that isn't actually Smash Bros.

As I've said before, I wouldn't have a problem with that boring shitty game that isn't Smash Bros. being played in tournaments if it didn't mean that there weren't any actual Smash Bros. tournaments. But it does mean exactly that, and I never get to watch videos of people who are actually good at Smash Bros. as opposed to your boring shitty game, so your boring shitty rules suck.

KevinCow said:
And tourneybitches such as yourself assume everyone who doesn't play by your shitty rules is a casual player. I'm not a casual player. I just like actually playing Smash Bros., not the boring, shitty game that you play that isn't actually Smash Bros.

There's no "actual" Smash Bros.

Cowie

Dice said:
QFT

That was not exciting, and I watched the EvsW one too. I just let it load in another tab and kept skipping ahead to new fights to see if maybe different people playing would make it fun.

Nope.

I can see how people would be completely sick of Smash if they got into that scene.

Well, I consider myself a Competitive Smasher, and in all fairness videos generally bore the shit out of me too. I mean, i've got a youtube account filled with them, but I only watch matches I'm in, and the occasional eye catcher. I know a lot of people who live for that shit, though. My friend delves through all his youtube smash subscriptions with his morning coffee.

vertopci

KevinCow said:

As I've said before, I wouldn't have a problem with that boring shitty game that isn't Smash Bros. being played in tournaments if it didn't mean that there weren't any actual Smash Bros. tournaments. But it does mean exactly that, and I never get to watch videos of people who are actually good at Smash Bros. as opposed to your boring shitty game, so your boring shitty rules suck.

:lol :lol :lol

Your just being fucking stupid. The rules are there to reduce randomness. It's the only way to ensure the players are winning by skill and not randomness. Don't be so fucking stupid.

And if they are good by tourney rules, they will be good with whatever shitty rules you use too.

Firestorm

KevinCow said:

Stop taking the term casual as an insult? If I wanted to insult you I'd have called you an idiot. You are an idiot.

And if you want to have a tournament with items on and... well, I dunno what other rules considering that's about the only difference, go ahead? Make a thread on SmashBoards or somewhere else. Find venue. Make an entrance fee.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Holy Order Sol said:
There's no "actual" Smash Bros.

Yes there is.

No characters unlocked

default stages only

2 minutes

all items on medium.

Clearly you're just a troll who has never played the game before.

DrDogg

I'm a long time Smash player, but I have to agree with the fact that there are two versions of Smash -- Tournament Smash and Casual Smash.

Whether you want to be called a casual player or not, if you're playing party Smash, that's exactly what you are. I don't generally see FFA Party Smash players WDing and L-canceling their way to victory.

DrDogg said:
I'm a long time Smash player, but I have to agree with the fact that there are two versions of Smash -- Tournament Smash and Casual Smash.

Whether you want to be called a casual player or not, if you're playing party Smash, that's exactly what you are. I don't generally see FFA Party Smash players WDing and L-canceling their way to victory.
This is why I say that people that only intend to play casually probably shouldn't argue about tournament rules such as "no items" and "neutral stages", because those are things that do not apply to them.

I personally have great interest in being competitive.

Firestorm

Man God said:
Yes there is.

No characters unlocked

default stages only

2 minutes

all items on medium.

Clearly you're just a troll who has never played the game before.

This would be the Nintendo World tournament #1 right there but they had items off. Was a free for all. The funny part was the last match was held on final destination with all characters unlocked, but Nintendo's rule was no changing characters so they had to stick with defaults :lol

Dice said:
QFT

Nope.

Videos aren't exactly the most interesting imo. Even I usually just fast-forward through most of them. That video was only good because of the amazing comeback and the amazing DI at the end. Although that might also be due to it being the PAL game. Not sure how things were changed in regards to Marth in the PAL version.

I disagree with being completely sick of Smash due to getting into the scene. Yes some people might be (and that's why they don't), but I would much rather have a competitive Smash exist than not. Seriously, Smash on the surface does get old after a while. Learning new things keeps it fresh.

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder if there's someone out there that only really plays singleplayer and considers multiplayer sort of an unwanted addition.
If there is, then he won't matter. Playing Single Player is fine, especially since Contests are a scene, but to call Multiplayer "unwanted" is just a very bad thing.

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder if there's someone out there that only really plays singleplayer and considers multiplayer sort of an unwanted addition.

21jvb7p.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't care where you are on the internet, could be a golf forum, just never, ever bring up so called casual versus so called tournament play. It ends badly. Both sides think they are right, neither side is. Play what you want to play.

I've run tournaments with no items, FD only.

I've also run 4 man BONUS tournaments with all items on high.

People will play smash, and people will get really good at smash if you offer money. Any form.

To me, the game is a tad dry without items, but it is a good way to learn how to play.

Also, I'm of the mind that based on what I've read and seen that the game is now balanced around smash balls. Think of all the concessions they have to achieve balance. You need to beat them around, you can knock them off people, and they move like crazy.

I think we're going to see a third entry in this classic struggle. No items versus all items versus smash balls. It's going to only get worse I'm afraid. So it's best just to ignore it.

If someone is at GDC they should ask Sakurai want he thinks about it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Firestorm said:
I disagree with being completely sick of Smash due to getting into the scene. Yes some people might be (and that's why they don't), but I would much rather have a competitive Smash exist than not. Seriously, Smash on the surface does get old after a while. Learning new things keeps it fresh.
I have to agree with KevinCow that this is very condescending talk.

Extremely limiting rules = Only way to learn new things and be competitive?

Um, ok.

Man God said:
I think we're going to see a third entry in this classic struggle. No items versus all items versus smash balls. It's going to only get worse I'm afraid. So it's best just to ignore it.

If someone is at GDC they should ask Sakurai want he thinks about it.

I think the real problem is that some characters are given 'better' Smash attacks to balance their other weaknesses out. If Smash balls were turned off, will there be characters that are completely useless?

Firestorm

Dice said:
I have to agree with KevinCow that this is very condescending talk.

Extremely limited rules = Learning new things?

Um, ok.

Where was I being condescending? I found smash boring and it took competitive smash to bring me back. Other people are different. If competitive smash isn't there, then I wouldn't be interested enough to play it. If smash is competitive, then I would be interested enough to play past that initial month and people who don't play competitively would still be interested too (because being competitive doesn't affect casual play). That's the secret to Nintendo games, make it playable on a variety of different levels.

How is competitive smash extremely limited? Items are off. Ok. Now? A 1v1 setting affords mindgames and more room to maneuver. I like that 1v1 setting where it's just you and the opponent. Although by "learning new things" I meant more of the technical stuff, 99% of which I didn't know before I went online.

Cowie

1100+ pages
but THIS is the one where we settle the casual vs hardcore smash debate, once and for all.
I can feel it.

Jiggy, do you have any stats on what percentage of this thread is sucked up by us arguing about this shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom