• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice stage, but too brown :(
That's what makes this stage unique within everything else that's a multi-colored rainbow. It's obviously a desert now, and Nintendo did a good job.

This is really a very morbid stage, because the once fresh environment that was active we knew, is now a post apocalyptic setup. It's as if it's a message telling us what happened to the old Mario levels while the games take place in new settings.

KevinCow

Banned
I figure 1-1 just loops after the flagpole, but I wonder what they'll do with 1-2 considering it ends in a pipe. Just cut that part off and have loop back to the beginning, maybe?

Fuckin' awesome update!

...It's so depressing, though D: They make it seems as if we abandoned it...D: Oh, but hey! They make us feel better with an awesome track! :D Yay!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What, Kondo did the arrangement too? Oh man. D:

Now, don't get me wrong guys, it's pretty good, and certainly nowhere as bad as the garbage that his minions have concocted in games like NSMB, but there's a lot of notes missing. It doesn't have that punch, I'm afraid. :/

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I really love the foreground. The pipes and blocks really have a distinct style. I was hoping for more of a Mario Bros. reinterpreted though with the background, not a complete style change, for instance I loved the simplistic hills and the clouds with eyes. But it's a great concept that breaks away from the past retro Mario stages while still being a take on the same idea.

This jives with what a 2channer said about a SSE story point.

Also.

modea12_080118i-l.jpg

Ruins!

Here's an actual quote from someone on smashboards about this update-

Yay, another stage that I'll probably hate. I don't like walkoff stages.

If you hate this stage then you hate fun. There is no debate here- if you don't like the color scheme, fine, but you don't go and hate on 1-1, that is something a real Nintendo fan just doesn't do.

KittenMaster said:
That's what makes this stage unique within everything else that's a multi-colored rainbow. It's obviously a desert now, and Nintendo did a good job.

This is really a very morbid stage, because the once fresh environment that was active we knew, is now a post apocalyptic setup. It's as if it's a message telling us what happened to the old Mario levels while the games take place in new settings.

I hadn't even thought about it that way (I just figured they tried to offer a 'real-world' interpretation of the stage), but yeah, that's a better way of looking at it.

EDIT: Oh, Sakurai explains it in the post! See, I didn't read it - too hyped about the screens. But yeah, as I said before, definitely makes sense. How rad is it to see the old stage revisited like this, as it would be 'today.'

There's no stage I'm more excited about playing. No question.

MisterHero

This stage could also be a technical demonstration of what you can do with Stage Builder (though except the ability to scroll)

It's like this incredibly melancholy statement about how even the most historic of video game levels eventually falls in to disrepair.

It almost makes me depressed.

Jiggy

Super Smash Bros. Brawl = Sakurai's love letter to gaming.

As for the color scheme, yeah, it's a bit brown. In fairness, SMB1 was also loaded up on brown--I mean, the floor, the blocks, and the breakable bricks were all brown there too--but at least that had some bushes and such.
Personally, though, I think the biggest dealbreaker for colors is the sky, and I think Mushroomy Kingdom would look super incredible if not for the ominous clouds. Imagining a bright and clear blue sky of optimism and hope contrasting against this wasteland where even the question mark blocks and pipes have had their colors muted by time... That would have been a dream. :eek:

Edit: I'll hold out hope that you can unlock some kind of alternate color scheme or something after you clear the level in Subspace Emissary. >_> You never know; it is Sakurai.

Yeah, I know they are ruins... ruins that are too brown... shouldn't at least the flagpole not be brown?
Sounds like an anti-Gears of War statement to me. The color is fine for the setting. Notice how Mario still retains color.

pulga

Banned
Awesome sauce stage, fantastic music (Kondo is the man), but I'm not too sure that the music jives too well with this stage. The music makes me all happy, but seeing the Mushroom Kingdom in ruins makes me sadface =(

I wonder if you can get to the hidden pipes in 1-2?

I freakin love this update. 1-1 from SMB is my favorite video game level of all time, and to see how it looks 24 years after I first played it is pretty awesome. Looks like a nuclear bomb wiped out the area like chernobyl.

MisterHero

Gekkonidae said:
Who says you can't make your stage scroll?
I just thought the pieces would fit nice in a Custom Stage but I don't know if Stage Builder would give you that kind of control, let alone have a stage long enough to match one like 1-1. But I'm open for surprises. :D

cvxfreak said:
Seeing those graphics, I would kill for a Wii remake of Super Mario All-Stars + World.

I'm absolutely baffled why they haven't done this yet. It would be an instant million seller and it probably wouldn't be too hard to make.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
But yeah, this is a problem I've noticed for a good while now. Melee had such a vibrant art style. Brawl, with few exceptions looks significantly more dull and brown by comparison. I hope some of the other levels brighten things up a bit.

Zerodoppler said:
Kondo did a good job with this remix. If there are more tracks of this quality, the game might be worth it after all.
Yes, otherwise it will be an abject failure of a game. I can't imagine how anyone would want to play it!

Alex

ShockingAlberto said:
It's like this incredibly melancholy statement about how even the most historic of video game levels eventually falls in to disrepair.

It almost makes me depressed.

I think it's just fucking awesome. It makes me feel old, yeah, but it's still such a cool concept.

Even the flag is tattered.

It's strange that it's so desert/ruins-y in the background, even if it's been ignored. I guess I never saw the level that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom