• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The reason why I have faith in FFXV's story-telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_castle

Jun Akiyama. His previous work also include:

FINAL FANTASY VII - Event Planner
FINAL FANTASY Tactics - Event Planner
FINAL FANTASY Tactics Advance - Event Script Editor
FINAL FANTASY Tactics: War of the Lions - Scenario Writer (for additional scenes)
FINAL FANTASY XII - Scenario Director/ Event Director
FINAL FANTASY XIV:ARR - Cutscene Producer
Kingdom Hearts (only the original) - Event Director
Vagrant Story- Event Director

It was said that Tetsuya Nomura really enjoyed Jun Akiyama's work on Vagrant Story, ergo he hired him to work on KH1, and after FFXII, Nomura once again seek his skills to work on Versus XIII aka XV.

During a Vagrant Story Ultimania interview with Yasumi Matsuno, he also expressed respect towards Jun Akiyama and stated that he is the only person in Square Enix whom he allows to edit his scenario script.

Judging from Akiyama's past record, he's particularly skilled in directing realistic, believable character screenplay and actions through events. Having worked on Matsuno in Ivalice Alliance games also supposedly provided him with valuable experience in titles with political strife and mature plot, which is to my understanding, what FFXV is aiming to achieve.

Anyway, sharing my personal excitement with regards to FFXV's story. It also feel nice to be able to look forward a mainline, single-player FF title that isn't touched by Motomu Toriyama and/or Daisuke Watanabe.

Whompa

So far it actually looks like it has a story.

Final fantasy stories have never been great....or good really.

Feel free to elaborate on that instead of hit the thread with a drive-by crap post. Would love to hear how you think stories like FF6,7,9,10, or 12 don't have good stories.

Magusx

Most Final Fantasy games have good story, but after playing Xenogears...
I just wished Final Fantasy would be on that level.

HeelPower

tumblr_mv77rdcfCs1sxm63yo1_400.gif

Shogun1337

I have faith in FFXV because if it turns out to be suckish, the Final Fantasy franchise dies to me. And Square-Enix knows this is the last stand. They're not pulling any punches. The FFXIII shit-creators don't have control on FFXV. Yoko Shimomura has returned. The tides have turned. It's the last plank, and just from looking at Noctis and the gang, it already has more substance than the entire FFXIII franchise.

botty

Banned
Agreed. Everything about this game just looks perfect... and right. I have faith in Nomura.

I have faith in FFXV because if it turns out to be suckish, the Final Fantasy franchise dies to me. And Square-Enix knows this is the last stand. They're not pulling any punches. The FFXIII shit-creators don't have control on FFXV. Yoko Shimomura has returned. The tides have turned. It's the last plank, and just from looking at Noctis and the gang, it already has more substance than the entire FFXIII franchise.

I like you.

sn00zer

I will be incredibly disappointed if they backpedal on the action gameplay and make a bad turnbased/action hybrid...gameplay is he only thing im worried about

Brokun

Never played the tactics games, but VII and XII... I'm in. Well I was already in, but I'm more in now. Further in.

kazebyaka

Banned
So far it actually looks like it has a story.

Feel free to elaborate on that instead of hit the thread with a drive-by crap post. Would love to hear how you think stories like FF6,7,9,10, or 12 don't have good stories.

look for Spoony's reviews of 8,10 and 13 FF games, and you'll see how they don't have good stories.

Silky

Banned
Something something the art direction is still awful something something.

Jun Akiyama's cool people, tho. Story might be interesting, idk

Dark_castle

But is he good enough to salvage a Kazushige Nojima script?

Nojima is a tricky case. He can be a hit or miss. If it's a hit, we get the likes of FFVII and FFX. A miss and we get FFVIII and FFVII Compilation. Granted, I actually like FFVIII's story, especially the gripping story pacing in disc 1 and 2.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Nojima is a tricky case. He can be a hit or miss. If it's a hit, we get the likes of FFVII and FFX. A miss and we get FFVIII and FFVII Compilation. Granted, I actually like FFVIII's story, especially the gripping story pacing in disc 1 and 2.

Why did a university hire 17 year olds to assassinate a high profile target

addik

I really hold FF9's story with great regard. I've always loved its lore and character when I first played it. It really touched on poignant themes without it being too melodramatic or angsty, and it always felt light-hearted. Of all the FF games I've played so far, I'd say that I enjoyed FF9's story the most. If the writer for FF9 were on board, I would have had more faith in the storytelling.

Then again, the Event Planner for KH1 is on board. KH1 always had that same magical feeling without being too dramatic or overbearing. The story actually felt like a mish-mash of Final Fantasy and Disney, unlike the other KH games which felt like the two franchises were disjointed.

So yeah, I am all on board the hype train for this game.

Wow thats a really solid track record. Him, Tabata, and Nomura imo all have really good histories and it seems they are all in key roles so i'm excited for this game also

Jigorath

Banned
FFXV is the only hope left for this franchise. There's only so much disappointment I can take before giving up on Final Fantasy for good.

FFVII and XII are my two favorites and the original Kingdom Hearts is the only one that's story isn't utter dog trash, in my personal opinion, so this actually has me quite excited. If anyone can rein in Nomura, it's him.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

So are most video games out there.

If you're expecting a Nobel Prize kind of story, then you'll be heavily disappointed.

Squire

Banned
Nojima is the scenario writer and he can actually wrote solidly, so that's why I'm excited about the story.

My concern lays with the actual game design.

I hope FFXV will be more than a bottom tier fantasy anime. I love spiky haired men with big swords. I really do, but it's most fun when there is a great story attached.

To me, FFXII was the most brave and toward thinking Final Fantasy that I have played. I really liked what it did with it's political and mature plot. And it's art and music was really cool and different too. What I felt that game lacked was great characters.

Sub_Level

"Absolutely nothing has been done on the actual scenario," director and character designer Tetsuya Nomura revealed to Gaimaga. "However, I've had the plot worked out for some time, so you could say I'm discussing the plot and concept with the staff. However, we've yet to start actual work on the scenario."

"With Versus, we are trying out a type of adventure that we couldn't do in the numbered series."

May 2006 :^)

Wazzy

Banned
Because they passed the SeeD exam? It's not like it was average students assigned to do it. They were an elite group that had been hard trained from a young age.

Anyway the assisination was an iffy situation since Cid planned it all when he knew the group wasn't prepared to handle something like that. It's why NORG and Martin are angered. Cid was trying to set the group up to follow what was written in history, basically the legendary SeeD was going to kill Ultimecia.

Oh and do you question Zelda? Where a child saves all of hyrule over and over?

SirNinja

In JRPGs, 17 year-olds have defeated ancient gods, saved every world twice over, and changed the fate of untold millions. And they usually do so alongside at least one other party member who's around 8-12.

Squire

Banned
In JRPGs, 17 year-olds have defeated ancient gods, saved every world twice over, and changed the fate of untold millions. And they usually do so alongside at least one other party member who's around 8-12.

Yep. If anything Nojima deserves credit for saying, "Hey, they're trained mercs." Come on!

I have the upmost faith in the team formed for FINAL FANTASY XV.

You have a team with a track record of making fantastic and fun battle systems with a team of people known to make great stories. This team was pretty carefully put together. I believe it will be a great game and I believe it will serve my gaming tastes well once it releases.

MCD

The characters don't inspire any confidence. Just your usual anime tropes ie the hero cool guy, the bro dude, the glasses thinker guy etc etc

Sub_Level

Because they passed the SeeD exam? It's not like it was average students assigned to do it. They were an elite group that had been hard trained from a young age.

Selphie Tilmitt
Zell Dincht

The few. The proud. The elite.

a_025HicksApone.jpg

I'm really excited. It really seems like Nomura has been pouring so much into this game. Cannot wait to see the final product.

Most Final Fantasy games have good story, but after playing Xenogears...
I just wished Final Fantasy would be on that level.

Yeah, I don't think we'll ever get an RPG like that from SE anytime soon. :/

Actually, I can't think of a single RPG that had a story as compelling or thought-provoking as Xenogears'.

Sub_Level

The characters don't inspire any confidence. Just your usual anime tropes ie the hero cool guy, the bro dude, the glasses thinker guy etc etc

Even if that's true I don't think tropes are inherently negative. Also an all-male group of core characters is already pretty new for the series. I'm pretty sure a lot of us wanted a Braska-Jecht-Auron prequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom