• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The reason why I have faith in FFXV's story-telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, XV has pretty impressive staff in general. If it bombs, it bombs, but I think if the team gets it right, they will really knock it out of the park.

Squire

Banned
Even if that's true I don't think tropes are inherently negative. Also an all-male group of core characters is already pretty new for the series. I'm pretty sure a lot of us wanted a Braska-Jecht-Auron prequel.

They aren't. They're in every character-driven creative work known to man.

And yes, I'd still take that FFX prequel, although I'm actually in the camp that's not exactly thrilled that FFXV is apparently a sausage fest.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Selphie can wipe people from existence and Zell can split mountains in half.

If you're gonna include gameplay as part of the actual story and characters then why didn't Selphie just use The End on Edea. Why didn't Zell just break the pandora tower flying thing when it was coming over Esther.

I'm just bustin' balls, I like VIII. I gave XIII 20+ hours though and that's one FF I will never like

Ninjimbo

FFXII forgot it had a story about halfway in. It arrives to a conclusion with no climax and piss poor character development. It's a

KH is and will always be fan fiction with a budget. I've only played the first one and I couldn't stomach it for various reasons. The story is just one of that game's problems.

FFT got convoluted really fast. FFTA couldn't even tell a children's story.

I've never played FFVII (and don't want to) or Vagrant Story (really want to play this one). Either way, I'm not impressed.

Dark_castle

They aren't. They're in every character-driven creative work known to man.

And yes, I'd still take that FFX prequel, although I'm actually in the camp that's not exactly thrilled that FFXV is apparently a sausage fest.

I'm not bothered by the lack of female party members, if what I get is a cast of good characters that were meant to be the way they are. (No more Vaan of FFXII) Besides, we'll see more females who are important to the story in addition to Stella and black hair lady.

Wazzy

Banned
Selphie Tilmitt
Zell Dincht

The few. The proud. The elite.

a_025HicksApone.jpg
You best not be talking shit about Zell and Selphie.

The latter will nuke yo ass.

Squire

Banned
I'm not bothered by the lack of female party members, if what I get is a cast of good characters that were meant to be the way they are. (No more Vaan of FFXII) Besides, we'll see more females who are important to the story in addition to Stella and black hair lady.

Yeah, I agree I guess. I'd prefer females in the core group, but it's not like I'm not gonna play it the way it is. Everybody should be well-written and well-developed, which is more than anything FFXIII-related has achieved, and that's good enough.

sappyday

The concept and story so far is interesting despite it having some knock offs from Shakespeare classics. But that shouldn't matter since execution is key.

Actually what makes it so interesting is that it's pretty simple from what we know. You're a prince who must save his kingdom. Crystals are the main focus again but with a modern touch. The idea that you're kingdom is the only one that is modern (Tokyo-like) while others are stuck in the past because you hold the last remaining kingdom.

They have all the tools to make this one of the greatest Final Fantasies ever (even though it isn't turn based, who cares anyways).

In Nomura we trust.

Sub_Level

You best not be talking shit about Zell and Selphie.

The latter will nuke yo ass.

When I was a kid I used to pick associate certain GFs as a character's "canon" gf. Squall was Diablo, dark and mysterious. Quistis was Shiva, graceful and cold. Zell was Ifrit, powerful and reckless. Rinoa was Leviathan, pure and potent. Irvine was Bahamut, noble and a show-off. And Selphie was Doomtrain, because motherfucking Selphie likes motherfucking trains.

He might be competent enough, but I'm more worried about Kazushige Nojima's involvement. I recall him being one of the main writers, and thus far I've not enjoyed a single story where he was involved in. I don't want to say he's bad at his job, or has stupid ideas, but they are definitely not my thing.

Why did a university hire 17 year olds to assassinate a high profile target
Anime fight school plots are certainly at the top of my least liked scenarios. It's not just the individual elements that I find inherently lame, but it's also so lazy. It's a shallow excuse to allow to make what is essentially yet another Japanese highschooler IP, but one that lends itself to mission structures and easy integration of tutorials since they are in an academy.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Feel free to elaborate on that instead of hit the thread with a drive-by crap post. Would love to hear how you think stories like FF6,7,9,10, or 12 don't have good stories.

7 is maudlin, terribly-paced self-indulgent nonsense that takes its pacing from anime TV series (it's particularly influenced by Evangelion) that is doubly hampered in the West by one of Square's worst translation jobs. The biggest point in favor of a 7 remake is that maybe this time the English version wouldn't be such a mess.

9 is half of a good story, especially the Vivi plotline, until about 2/3 through when that character's arc is dropped like a rock and never mentioned again except for a wholly inadequate "Hey, you okay?" right before the nonsensical final battle. They were close on this one, but it really falls apart in the final act.

10 is the first FF I couldn't finish, because I could not bring myself to care one single bit about anyone in the entire game. There wasn't even a place I can specify as a breaking point; just one night I saved and quit and never put the disc in again. And I was fine with that. The pacing and idiot plot were really the overall killers here. Hours and hours of waiting for people to tell each other the most obvious stuff, but they don't because otherwise the game would be about 4 hours long.

6 and 12 have legitimately good stories overall, although I do think 12 sort of forgets about its story for a long stretch in the middle. It's sort of par for the course with the MMO-alike game design, though, so I don't hold it against the game too much.

Final Fantasy games don't really have very good storytelling in general. At their lowest, they rely on high quality music to sell the emotion and character of the big moments rather than any actual character work or drama, and at their best they're serviceable adventure stories with imaginative world design. The scenario designer for XV definitely has the best pedigree of anyone currently working on SquareEnix RPGs, so I'd say the OP is right to harbor some hope for the game's story, but I'll still be guarded in my enthusiasm until the game itself gives me reason to think otherwise.

KoopaTheCasual

I've always said that the team behind FFXV is their best. People see Nomura and freak out, but completely forget that the team behind him is as strong as it gets. And since it was Nomura, who sought them out, I think he understands his own limitations and wants them to do what they do best.

Not only do we have Jun Akiyama, but we also have Shinji Hashimoto (FFIX producer), Hajime Tabata (Type-0 director), Kazushige Nojima (FFVII+X writer, and actual creator of FNC mythology), and Yoko Shimomura (most talented composer at SE). Square definitely put their safest team on this project. The people helming this game all have solid track records, as far as story-telling and atmosphere goes. No worries there.

I'm most concerned about gameplay and exploration.

Famassu

Something something the art direction is still awful something something.
No it's not. The game has great art direction. It's got plenty of believable & good looking character designs and as usual everything from enemy to environmental designs are way above most other JRPG series (just look at that Venice like city. That's some god tier city design).

Sub_Level

A lot of the most celebrated FF moments haven't been event-driven, but character-driven. The two main exceptions to this are FFVI, with it's large ensemble cast and famous twists and turns, and XII. I would put money on Versus being more about the characters, in the same vein as XIII, X, IX, VIII, and VII.

Camp Lo

Banned
Jun Akiyama. His previous work also include:

FINAL FANTASY VII - Event Planner
FINAL FANTASY Tactics - Event Planner
FINAL FANTASY Tactics Advance - Event Script Editor
FINAL FANTASY Tactics: War of the Lions - Scenario Writer (for additional scenes)
FINAL FANTASY XII - Scenario Director/ Event Director
FINAL FANTASY XIV:ARR - Cutscene Producer
Kingdom Hearts (only the original) - Event Director
Vagrant Story- Event Director

Faith? Nope.

Final fantasy stories have never been great....or good really.
Wow.... really.... it's a video game. You expecting Masterpiece Theatre? The stories that ARE good are good enough, and that's all that matters. Of course, the ones that suck, suck hard, but we aren't talking about those... yet.

In JRPGs, 17 year-olds have defeated ancient gods, saved every world twice over, and changed the fate of untold millions. And they usually do so alongside at least one other party member who's around 8-12.
Though it DOES make interesting sense to question it. I mean, you can say they were just as good as any adult, yet they were still emotionally unstable teens, hormones-a-ragin and highly capable of making brash, idiotic mistakes. Hell, a lot of problems are a result of their youth driven mistakes. If Garden was a more capable military academy, they'd keep them in training at least until their early twenties, or after they're cadets are past puberty.

Oddly enough, the teen drama was a reason I didn't like FFVIII. Never been into teen drama, even when I was a teen myself. I loathed that freakin crap with vengeance.

That being said, I do trust Akiyama as well.

HeelPower

A lot of the most celebrated FF moments haven't been event-driven, but character-driven. The two main exceptions to this are FFVI, with it's large ensemble cast and famous twists and turns, and XII. I would put money on Versus being more about the characters, in the same vein as XIII, X, IX, VIII, and VII.

I feel like it will strike a balance between the two...In the trailer alone they are blurting out faction names in witcher-like fashion xD

ZeroRay

Vagrant Story's camera work and framing is truly something else. At the very least we're gonna get well directed cutscenes.

Famassu

Eh, I'd say a lot of the best moments (at least for me) from FFVI are character-driven
Celes torture scene, Opera scenes & attempted suicide and her interaction with Locke, some sad Gau scenes, some of the latter scenes with Leo, the brotherhood and many scenes between Sabin & Edgar, the nightmares of Cyan etc. etc.
. Though sure, there are some pretty big events in the game as well.

You picked the work he's done where has had the least amount of input (producer vs. the actual director or even writer). Way to cherrypick shit.

Even if you set that aside, what's wrong with XIV's cutscenes? I mean, I still relatively early in the game, but whatever cut-scenes I saw so far seemed damn fine to me.

Dark_castle

You know, Xenogears was originally pitched to be FFVII but the execs thought it was too dark for Final Fantasy.

Worth noting that this game started out as a side game as well, as it was deemed darker and unique than an average Final Fantasy, something mainline FF hasn't really experienced.

Alienous

Final fantasy stories have never been great....or good really.

Disc 2 onwards is Squall's Final Fantasy.

So you're wrong.

And I'll have to take the OP's word for it. From what I have seen I don't have any confidence in the plot, other than the fact that it seems consistent with whatever was dreamed up in 2006.

Squire

Banned
No it's not. The game has great art direction. It's got plenty of believable & good looking character designs and as usual everything from enemy to environmental designs are way above most other JRPG series (just look at that Venice like city. That's some god tier city design).

So you've played it?

TaiKH92

Banned
The concept and story so far is interesting despite it having some knock offs from Shakespeare classics. But that shouldn't matter since execution is key.

Actually what makes it so interesting is that it's pretty simple from what we know. You're a prince who must save his kingdom. Crystals are the main focus again but with a modern touch. The idea that you're kingdom is the only one that is modern (Tokyo-like) while others are stuck in the past because you hold the last remaining kingdom.

They have all the tools to make this one of the greatest Final Fantasies ever (even though it isn't turn based, who cares anyways).

In Nomura we trust.

I'd like to see how the other kingdoms are.

In Nomura we trust

Coxy

I wish I could but even if I had total faith in Jun there's still plenty of time for the QUALITY committee and focus testing to ruin the good work

That's even assuming they actually create and release a full game to plan and not just desperately hobbling together some assets to make a game because they have to ship something

Famassu

I wish I could but even if I had total faith in Jun there's still plenty of time for the QUALITY committee and focus testing to ruin the good work
You've completely misunderstood the purpose of the commitee. They aren't going to be hands on with FFXV's development. And FFXV already has a marketable young main male character, so it's not like anything like FFXII & Vaan could happen.

So you've played it?
I have eyes and we've had plenty of trailers and seen plenty of the main cast. Noctis is a somewhat stylized yet believable for a FF modern age-ish young prince and his friends look like they could be such person's friends as well (though, of course them fighting in those clothes is less believable, but meh, it's fantasy and it's FF, it's not like completely realistic attire for the situations the characters are thrown in has ever been done in the series), his father has the charisma of a king, some of the villains so far look interesting. The enemies from behemoths to the knights & dragoons and to the Leviathan and some others we've seen look really good. And the environments look really good as well.

KoopaTheCasual

You've completely misunderstood the purpose of the commitee. They aren't going to be hands on with FFXV's development. And FFXV already has a marketable young main male character, so it's not like anything like FFXII & Vaan could happen.
I feel like the committee, especially Toriyama, would advocate pretty strongly for the inclusion of a playable female. Whether that would be enough for a character gender swap I don't know, but I always think that must come up.

MilkBeard

I'll probably end up enjoying the game even if it turns into another Final Fantasy XIII situation, so I'm cool either way.

That being said, I am looking forward to this particular game, and it does seem like it's going to be something grand.

JCreasy

Does anyone have an update on what stage of development XV is at these days?

Are they tuning old code or starting from scratch for next gen?

Dark_castle

I've always said that the team behind FFXV is their best. People see Nomura and freak out, but completely forget that the team behind him is as strong as it gets. And since it was Nomura, who sought them out, I think he understands his own limitations and wants them to do what they do best.

Not only do we have Jun Akiyama, but we also have Shinji Hashimoto (FFIX producer), Hajime Tabata (Type-0 director), Kazushige Nojima (FFVII+X writer, and actual creator of FNC mythology), and Yoko Shimomura (most talented composer at SE). Square definitely put their safest team on this project. The people helming this game all have solid track records, as far as story-telling and atmosphere goes. No worries there.

I'm most concerned about gameplay and exploration.

Some time ago, I made a thread about how and why FFXV's action-based combat can be great. A lot of it still remains to be seen (like how switching controllable party members to form combo and monster climbing mechanism), but we have some solid battle ideas to build upon.

Exploration wise, I definitely hope they don't drop their balls here. Unless Nomura flat out lied or there's major changes in the development, manual airship control will be back too. From the looks of it, the world design is reminiscent to that of Dragon Quest VIII/ FFXII / Xenoblade, which is great.

I will be incredibly disappointed if they backpedal on the action gameplay and make a bad turnbased/action hybrid...gameplay is he only thing im worried about
That would be like that DQ IX game on DS. Originally in the first showings and trailers it was going to be this awesome Action RPG!

But then, they heard feedback from the Japanese plebians saying it wasn't traditonal so SE got scared and backpedaled into the turn based game it is today... I still wonder how the ARPG would have been like...

Bennettt2

- You've got characters with cool hairstyles
- a main character who can see the light of expiring souls, which could lead to interesting plot scenarios
- possibly some of the best visual output the PS4 and XBone will see (FF brand defined as pushing the visual envelope)
- sweeping orchestral score by Yoko Shimomura
- fast-paced gameplay with a teleport ability...

After all this development time ... If this game fails then I will stamp out FF from my heart forever!

Dark_castle

Does anyone have an update on what stage of development XV is at these days?

Are they tuning old code or starting from scratch for next gen?

Unfortunately, nobody knows. One thing we do know is that the main scenario script was finalized back in 2010. After E3 2013, it was revealed that Hajime Tabata has joined XV development team, and then around TGS, the entire Type-0 team also hop along, though I wouldn't be surprised if they had been assimilated into the development team not long after Type-0 was released.

Then, there's an unofficial confirmation that English localization work has begun, way back in June.

Athreous

I'm sure that it will be great =]

SE saw what they did wrong in the last gen, specially with FF XIII >_< (I like FFXIII-1)

Let's see if we'll have more details soon about the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom