• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The reason why I have faith in FFXV's story-telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I thought this was fall 2014

There was a time when I thought this was like Fall 2010 latest but look where we our now. Welcome to the waiting club, please take a ticket and sit in the adjacent lounge. Your number will be called when the train is one year from departing.

Soriku

All the promo shots I've seen lately for this game have looked like a boyband album cover.

What's with the sausage fest?

Sausage fest crew is different for JRPGs so I don't mind it. There might still be a female party member or two but I wouldn't mind if the party was just all guys,

Call me optimistic but I would not be surprised if it ends being the best in the series.

-Setting is fucking amazing, easily the best in the franchise in terms of art(from what we have seen so far)

-Looking at he OP, the writer seems to have a postie track record and from the little what we have seem, the story looks interesting. Love the Shakespeare stuff.

-Gameplay will probably be just like KH/Type-0(a.k.a. amazing)

The only bad thing about it is that it's soooooooo fucking far away. Hopefully we get it Q4 2015 at the latest.

It'll probably be the best for me if they deliver. All the details sound good. The only thing I want to know about is how they're going to handle the side content. They haven't said a word.

As for the modern setting, I guess SMT fans would be more partial to it.

There was a time when I thought this was like Fall 2010 latest but look where we our now. Welcome to the waiting club, please take a ticket and sit in the adjacent lounge. Your number will be called when the train is one year from departing.

Sometimes i just forget how much we have all waited for this. They have to deliver or we can all send this company to hell once and for all.

I'm faithful, though. This is probably the most interesting setting i've seen on a FF game (IMO). Hope they design and release a huge artbook with the game.

Effect

Jun Akiyama. His previous work also include:

FINAL FANTASY VII - Event Planner
FINAL FANTASY Tactics - Event Planner
FINAL FANTASY Tactics Advance - Event Script Editor
FINAL FANTASY Tactics: War of the Lions - Scenario Writer (for additional scenes)
FINAL FANTASY XII - Scenario Director/ Event Director
FINAL FANTASY XIV:ARR - Cutscene Producer
Kingdom Hearts (only the original) - Event Director
Vagrant Story- Event Director

This does create some faith in Final Fantasy XV but I've written Final Fantasy off a long time ago. I never finished Final Fantasy 13. Even before that I was actually reluctant to buy it based off what I had seen of it before it's release. Even more so after reports came out regarding how the game was. FF13-2 and Lightening Returns did nothing to change that feeling.

Even if the story is better in FFXV there is still the issue of the characters themselves. There character designs, etc. I really need to be sold on Final Fantasy XV. There was a time when that didn't need to happen. As soon as I heard Final Fantasy money would start to be saved or put down on a preorder without question. I miss those days.

Sakujou

Banned
Jesus, man. Ever time I read your confirmation of the remake of Final Fantasy VII, my heart stops for a second. Even if it's still ways off, I cannot wait to see it T_T

if it should ever be announced and created, it would be such a dissappointment.

the battle mechanics, the style how you interacted in the game... it needs a major overhaul if not this game would plainly suck in todays standards.

face the facts.

i seriously hope SE gets their shit together and will get back to their strength where they released every 2-3years a massively super awesome RPG.

instead we get squeezing shit with a lot of IAPs.

Derrick01

Banned
Then why did FFX's ending make me cry like a baby?

Because like me you were probably 13 when it came out and didn't know what a good story was.

If I played that for the first time today I don't think I could stop cringing to give myself enough of a chance to shed a tear.

Ishida

Banned

the battle mechanics, the style how you interacted in the game... it needs a major overhaul if not this game would plainly suck in todays standards.

face the facts.

i seriously hope SE gets their shit together and will get back to their strength where they released every 2-3years a massively super awesome RPG.

"Today's standards"? Well, at least it would be a million times better than Final Fantasy XIII.

I still have a lot of faith in the story for XV but the fact that this game is now a numbered title rather than a spin off slightly bothers me. Does this mean the writers have to cut certain scenes they would originally have had as they are deemed to dark for Final Fantasy? Are they adding certain scenes and scenarios into the game that don't fit the general theme but overall make it out to be more of a typical Final Fantasy game? Hopefully this doesn't happen and the game turns out to be what Nomura initially intended it to be.

Sub_Level

Because like me you were probably 13 when it came out and didn't know what a good story was.

If I played that for the first time today I don't think I could stop cringing to give myself enough of a chance to shed a tear.

If I played X for the first time today Auron, the Aeons, the music, and some of the badass bosses like
Yunalesca
would still be good. That boss and the cutscene before it was my favorite part of the game. Pretty much everything from Calm Lands to that scene was pure RPG adventure with a real sense of urgency and fading hope in addition to more gameplay variety and challenge, assuming you didn't overlevel or are doing some weird challenge run where you exploit a move or two.

And then afterwards you fight a giant floating whale with a blitzball.

edit: oh and Lulu is still good. Voodoo dolls are the most under-utilized weapon in videogames, and there's so much you can do with them especially now that ragdoll physics have been a thing in games for a decade+.

Whompa

look for Spoony's reviews of 8,10 and 13 FF games, and you'll see how they don't have good stories.

Why should I do that? I like how 8 and 13 are not even what I asked for. I also like how people think the ff games are made by the same people every time and that it's a series...makes for grand generalizations.

Sub_Level

I still have a lot of faith in the story for XV but the fact that this game is now a numbered title rather than a spin off slightly bothers me. Does this mean the writers have to cut certain scenes they would originally have had as they are deemed to dark for Final Fantasy? Are they adding certain scenes and scenarios into the game that don't fit the general theme but overall make it out to be more of a typical Final Fantasy game? Hopefully this doesn't happen and the game turns out to be what Nomura initially intended it to be.

With it becoming a main singleplayer numbered title, the marketing budget probably increased that's for sure.

i really liked final fantasy back then.

but the fact how they fucked up 13 and especially versus 13 aka xv...

its unbelievable how you can delay a game for more then 6 years or AN ENTIRE GENERATION and people still want to play it. this is just blind fanboyism. like for apple products. these products should be abolished and the creators punished for such atrocities.

making fun of the fanbase and letting them wait for so long.

the same goes for kh3. WAT THE FUCK was that TEASER!?!? it literally showed us NOTHING.

i feel so bad for all the people who bought a ps3 back then solely for the ff games.

takes another 20-30 years until we achieve something which is playable.

i dreamt as a elementary school kid in the beginning of the 90ies playing hyper realistic games with an open world setting.
nowadays iam turned off because this is mostly only used in violent games. i keep returning to old school games or something set in fantasy.

face the facts.

are you trying to win the award for Most Bitter/Foul poster in an FF thread?

So far you're running away with it, boyo.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
As long as they make the characters realistic and relatable. No Snow and Vanille this time plz Square.

Derrick01

Banned
If I played X for the first time today Auron, the Aeons, the music, and some of the badass bosses like
Yunalesca
would still be good. That boss and the cutscene before it was my favorite part of the game. Pretty much everything from Calm Lands to that scene was pure RPG adventure with a real sense of urgency and fading hope in addition to more gameplay variety and challenge, assuming you didn't overlevel or are doing some weird challenge run where you exploit a move or two.

And then afterwards you fight a giant floating whale with a blitzball.

edit: oh and Lulu is still good. Voodoo dolls are the most under-utilized weapon in videogames, and there's so much you can do with them especially now that ragdoll physics have been a thing in games for a decade+.

I was just talking about the story/writing though.

Then why did FFX's ending make me cry like a baby?

Probably because you were young and Toonami anime was the height of dramatic storytelling for you at the time, so you had no problem with FFX's terrible voice acting and cornball dialog and thematic development.

Once I found out about Akiyama a long time ago, I really became excited for Versus XIII; combined with a rewatch of the 2011 trailer, I was pretty devastated when event after event passed and we didn't see it. I can't imagine my disillusionment if I had been waiting since January 2011.

In any case, I have more faith in FFXV than I have had faith in any team. KH was what got me into FF in the first place, so its nice to see the union of spirits come to fruition. In this we will get an amazing story combined with KH esque action and music. Its the best of both worlds. From what we have seen of XV, the music is amazing, I like the character designs, the story seems very interesting, and the gameplay looks very fun.

If XV doesn't turn out to be one of my favorite FF games ever, I will be very disappointed.

You can't do much if the writing is bad. This is the reason why FFXII failed.

Except, you know, XII easily had the best writing out of the main series. Dislike the story all you want, but don't blame the top tier writing. Everything made sense, even if some consider it "boring" (I don't)

Go_Ly_Dow

Is it going to be on PS3? They kind of owe us a real FF.

No it's PS4 only.

Originally it was PS3 only.

Then it was shifted to PS3 & PS4. If this remained then the game would probably be close to release about now

Then with the massive FF brand decline this title became even more important and they were worried that the game would look dated because of the PS3 version. So they opted for next-gen only to make it as good as it can be.

I assume they took whatever they could from the PS3 version, but a lot was also overhauled.

Whompa

Except, you know, XII easily had the best writing out of the main series. Dislike the story all you want, but don't blame the top tier writing. Everything made sense, even if some consider it "boring" (I don't)

I know that when I was a kid I found FF12 boring, but now I really appreciate its writing. Probably adolescent gamers who just want more shooting and less talking in their games...

12's writing was great.

Sub_Level

I was just talking about the story/writing though.

Yea I guess so. I felt the lore was very interesting, with the whole pilgrimage, Calm, and fiends in addition to the backstory of locales such as the Highroad and the various temples. It was certain aspects about it that I didn't care for, like blitzball, and everything to do with Tidus' subplot. And Seymour.

Probably because you were young and Toonami anime was the height of dramatic storytelling for you at the time, so you had no problem with FFX's terrible voice acting and cornball dialog and thematic development.

Speaking of FFX and Toonami

lol at thinking you had to have been a 13 year old anime-fed child to think X's story was good. I played it a couple years ago and still thought it was fascinating and emotionally powerful. I am sure for some that means I have bad taste and wouldn't know a good story if it bit me on the ass, but I can't say I give a fuck. Hell, I even liked FF VIII's story quite a bit and that is usually maligned as being one of the horrible ones.

lol at thinking you had to have been a 13 year old anime-fed child to think X's story was good. I played it a couple years ago and still thought it was fascinating and emotionally powerful. I am sure for some that means I have bad taste and wouldn't know a good story if it bit me on the ass, but I can't say I give a fuck. Hell, I even liked FF VIII's story quite a bit and that is usually maligned as being one of the horrible ones.

Yeah I generally do like the stories in FF games, not gonna lie. Haters gonna hate.

KiTA

None of those really give me great faith in the story, to be honest, especially given that it's still Nomura directing.

I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but I'm fully expecting FF15 to be an 8 hour train wreck of bad dialog, convoluted and incomprehensible story, and characters only slightly more engaging than the local J. C. Penny catalog.

Squire

Banned
No it's PS4 only.

Then it was shifted to PS3 & PS4. If this remained then the game would probably be close to release about now

Then with the massive FF brand decline this title became even more important and they were worried that the game would look dated because of the PS3 version. So they opted for next-gen only to make it as good as it can be.

I assume they took whatever they could from the PS3 version, but a lot was also overhauled.

It's PS4 and Xbox One.

Asd202

Well the cutscene direction will be good if Akiyama will be in same form as in past games. The script and story however is still all up in the air.

OP have you seen the characters?

You have to look at them and try to keep "rock your body" out of your head while this "amazing" story unfolds.

I have faith in FFXV because if it turns out to be suckish, the Final Fantasy franchise dies to me. And Square-Enix knows this is the last stand. They're not pulling any punches. The FFXIII shit-creators don't have control on FFXV. Yoko Shimomura has returned. The tides have turned. It's the last plank, and just from looking at Noctis and the gang, it already has more substance than the entire FFXIII franchise.

That nails it.

YoungHav

Banned
No it's PS4 only.

so goddamn disappointed. Square's never going to see a new.game sale from me.

Caronte

There's nothing top tier in the writing of characters like Vaan and Penelo.

RaikuHebi

Banned
FFXIII nearly made me give up on life, but I overcame that.

loool you must be this guy :p

sonystasuicidaxd4.jpg

The funniest is for newer fans like me. I got into FF 4 years after Versus XIII was announced. By the time it comes out I'll have waited double that amount.

Malyse

I have faith in FFXV because if it turns out to be suckish, the Final Fantasy franchise dies to me. And Square-Enix knows this is the last stand. They're not pulling any punches. The FFXIII shit-creators don't have control on FFXV. Yoko Shimomura has returned. The tides have turned. It's the last plank, and just from looking at Noctis and the gang, it already has more substance than the entire FFXIII franchise.

This is her first FF title BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom