• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The reason why I have faith in FFXV's story-telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinpop

Amazing, he worked on neither FF VIII, FF X nor FF XIII. That's literally all I could ever ask for. I've grown slightly optimistic about this game.

I will be excited when they finally stop showing CG and target renders and finally give us a damn release date within the next 3 years. Until then, all they have are promises, and promises aren't SE's strong suit.

TnK

Most Final Fantasy games have good story, but after playing Xenogears...
I just wished Final Fantasy would be on that level.
There is a reason why Xenogears is my favourite JRPG.

I won't have any hopes for FFXV until I get it in my hands, and hopefully play it on the PC.

Anything but that, i'd rather play FFXIII all over again.

You would probably be alone on that since FF7 is by far the most popular FF. In fact I can't think of anyone who would play FF13 instead of FF7. Except those Lightningu fans.

Didn't Nomura describe the story/situation a bit like Rome and Juliet?

Go_Ly_Dow

No Toriyama and Watanabe.

+Nojima

The game has a very impressive staff list.

Would also love Uematsu too contribute with a track or two as well!

Dark_castle

All the promo shots I've seen lately for this game have looked like a boyband album cover.

What's with the sausage fest?

It's a story about a group of closely bonded friends who already knew one another growing up, and they all belong to a mafia tribe, which uses the symbolic colour black, as opposed to Niflheim asymmetrical white.

BBboy20

All the promo shots I've seen lately for this game have looked like a boyband album cover.

What's with the sausage fest?
west_side_story_ver2_zpsd3dc3955.jpg

Ravage

An ARPG with a modern-fantasy theme and a FF-size budget is basically my dream come true, a crappy plot wouldn't dampen my hype the slightest.

That being said, i'm confident the story will turn out fine because...

I've always said that the team behind FFXV is their best. People see Nomura and freak out, but completely forget that the team behind him is as strong as it gets. And since it was Nomura, who sought them out, I think he understands his own limitations and wants them to do what they do best.

Not only do we have Jun Akiyama, but we also have Shinji Hashimoto (FFIX producer), Hajime Tabata (Type-0 director), Kazushige Nojima (FFVII+X writer, and actual creator of FNC mythology), and Yoko Shimomura (most talented composer at SE). Square definitely put their safest team on this project. The people helming this game all have solid track records, as far as story-telling and atmosphere goes. No worries there.

I'm most concerned about gameplay and exploration.

DJIzana

Astoundingly beautiful.

Man... VR and worlds like this can't come soon enough.

God, what I wouldn't give to play FFXV with an Oculus right or especially something like .Hack, where the worlds are surreal and LITERALLY designed for that type of experience. :D

Dark_castle

An ARPG with a modern-fantasy theme and a FF-size budget is basically my dream come true, a crappy plot wouldn't dampen my hype the slightest.

That being said, i'm confident the story will turn out fine because...

Yeah, the setting which I haven't mentioned before is also a HUGE plus for me. While I'm perfectly fine with the staple high fantasy/steampunk/fantastical/sci-fi/post-apocalyptic that RPG title tend to utilize, I just can't get enough of RPG low fantasy setting. Games like SMT, Persona, Shadow Hearts, Parasite Eve series, Earthbound, The World Ends With You, to a lesser extent FFVIII and so on.

Bonus point for FFXV if it adopts horror-ish atmosphere from games like Nocturne, Persona 2 and Shadow Hearts.

ZoddGutts

I've been underrating FFXII's plot all this years according this thread. I really thought it was boring to death.

Because it was boring. FFVII was also a mess but not sure if it was because of the poor eng translation that people use to excuse for it's story script.

Simzyy

I do hope this comes to PC. Just checked and none of the petitions for a PC version have really taken off.

Shame, I recall an interview where they said if there is a demand they would do it.

Koozek

Yup, I have high hopes for the cutscene direction as I'm very fond of Jun Akiyama's FFXII cinematography work.
I was very happy when I read that Nomura wanted to have him on the team. At one point Nomura wanted Akiyama to remake every cutscene to be interactive so that you can walk around during them (which I'm very excited for).

I will be incredibly disappointed if they backpedal on the action gameplay and make a bad turnbased/action hybrid...gameplay is he only thing im worried about
The first.thing that came to mind when I read this post was FF7 Dirge of Cerberus.

Oh god. Please keep it action-oriented.

Nymerio

Then why did FFX's ending make me cry like a baby?

rofl, I don't think just because you cried he has to think they're great stories. And how does being a video game excuse having a bad story? Just because you're already expecting a mediocre story doesn't excuse the kind of shitty storytelling we generally have to put up with. If people are ok with shitty plots there's never going to be an improvement.

It was said that Tetsuya Nomura really enjoyed Jun Akiyama's work on Vagrant Story, ergo he hired him to work on KH1, and after FFXII, Nomura once again seek his skills to work on Versus XIII aka XV.

During a Vagrant Story Ultimania interview with Yasumi Matsuno, he also expressed respect towards Jun Akiyama and stated that he is the only person in Square Enix whom he allows to edit his scenario script.

Judging from Akiyama's past record, he's particularly skilled in directing realistic, believable character screenplay and actions through events. Having worked on Matsuno in Ivalice Alliance games also supposedly provided him with valuable experience in titles with political strife and mature plot, which is to my understanding, what FFXV is aiming to achieve.

Lord Matsuno's opinion is law for me, so I now have some faith in this thing again.

I want this game injected into my eye capillaries.

Injections into your eyes is the LAST thing you want from SE! :p

Vagrant Story's camera work and framing is truly something else. At the very least we're gonna get well directed cutscenes.

There is absolutely no excuse for this not to be the gold standard for video game cutscenes henceforth from its debut. It's a massive chunk of where I get my "forgotten game design wisdom" spiel from as less talented directors don't learn from this and others to help them in their craft.

Village

I will be incredibly disappointed if they backpedal on the action gameplay and make a bad turnbased/action hybrid...gameplay is he only thing im worried about

I hope they keep in action-y,

While I like KH, this happens with all of them espically with 2 the higher level stuff starts encroaching on DMC, not full on. The depth in combo's isnt as deep and the game.... ok it actually does get that fast.But, I hope the entire game is like that, and except has greater combo depth.

rofl, I don't think just because you cried he has to think they're great stories. And how does being a video game excuse having a bad story? Just because you're already expecting a mediocre story doesn't excuse the kind of shitty storytelling we generally have to put up with. If people are ok with shitty plots there's never going to be an improvement.

Good is rather subjective, don't you think.

Nymerio

I hope they keep in action-y,

While I like KH, this happens with all of them espically with 2 the higher level stuff starts encroaching on DMC, not full on. The depth in combo's isnt as deep and the game.... ok it actually does get that fast.But, I hope the entire game is like that, and except has greater combo depth.

Good is rather subjective, don't you think.

Up to a certain point, I'd say. That doesn't make the argument of person A saying: "The stories are bad", and Person B replying: "But I cried!" valid.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think the story has the potential. Nojima was the one who wrote the original FNC mythos. He should have some idea of what he wants to do with it.

However I hold no faith in the project whatsoever, SE likes it's barrier it has set up around it. Hence the current ban on information the game has. I would still like a "Making of XV" documentary. Could probably write a few books about it.

I'm skeptical until I have it in hand. Literally every FF game since X has been ass, to me, with the last 4+ titles being the worst offenders. That isn't the greatest track record to me.

duckroll

What's his actual role in FFXV?

That track record is awesome.

He is a cutscene director. Most of his work involves storyboarding and directing realtime cutscenes. If the screenplay is shit though, it's still going to be a shitty story, even if the cutscenes end up looking really nice with a great visual look and superb camera work. :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He is a cutscene director. Most of his work involves storyboarding and directing realtime cutscenes. If the screenplay is shit though, it's still going to be a shitty story, even if the cutscenes end up looking really nice with a great visual look and superb camera work. :p

Well just look at 3rd Birthday. It's a perfect example.

nier was pretty great, but that was more of a traditional action adventure game... what was the last jrpg with fully voiced cutscenes and 'direction' that worked? Can't really think of any that i've played that didn't feel like it needed to be slashed to bits by an editor.

duckroll

The type 0 team is working on it iirc, so you have nothing to worry about. Type 0 is fucking amazing.

Nope. Maybe some (most?) of them are NOW, since it's another "all hands on deck" project after FFXIV, but the core game design directors are the guy responsible for the battle system in KH1 and KH2 (as well as the "amazing" summon system in FFXIII), and the director of Dirge of Cerberus.

Maybe after Tabata came onboard as co-director he fired them. Probably not though.

Sakujou

Banned

i really liked final fantasy back then.

but the fact how they fucked up 13 and especially versus 13 aka xv...

its unbelievable how you can delay a game for more then 6 years or AN ENTIRE GENERATION and people still want to play it. this is just blind fanboyism. like for apple products. these products should be abolished and the creators punished for such atrocities.

making fun of the fanbase and letting them wait for so long.

the same goes for kh3. WAT THE FUCK was that TEASER!?!? it literally showed us NOTHING.

i feel so bad for all the people who bought a ps3 back then solely for the ff games.

God, what I wouldn't give to play FFXV with an Oculus right or especially something like .Hack, where the worlds are surreal and LITERALLY designed for that type of experience. :D

takes another 20-30 years until we achieve something which is playable.

i dreamt as a elementary school kid in the beginning of the 90ies playing hyper realistic games with an open world setting.
nowadays iam turned off because this is mostly only used in violent games. i keep returning to old school games or something set in fantasy.

Verendus

Banned
It'll be the HD era's VII.
Pfft, FFVII will be the HD era's VII.

I have strong expectations of the team behind FFXV in general. There is a lot of good talent there. If they can't produce a great game, then it's time for me to give up on Final Fantasy. I mean, FFXIII nearly made me give up on life, but I overcame that.

XV has the best art direction(imo) in the series from what we have seen(assuming that the entire game is consistent to what we have seen in the trailers).

Nope. Maybe some (most?) of them are NOW, since it's another "all hands on deck" project after FFXIV, but the core game design directors are the guy responsible for the battle system in KH1 and KH2 (as well as the "amazing" summon system in FFXIII), and the director of Dirge of Cerberus.

Maybe after Tabata came onboard as co-director he fired them. Probably not though.

Ah thanks and KH1 and 2 are very solid gameplay wise so we should be straight. I'm expecting Kingdom hearts FF edition with uncharted like set pieces. Should have no problem with being one of (if not the best) in the series in terms of gameplay if everything works out.

Pfft, FFVII will be the HD era's VII.
:)

duckroll

XV has the best art direction(imo) in the series from what we have seen(assuming that the entire game is consistent to what we have seen in the trailers).

I love the real world look. The CG scene from one of the trailers with Noctis in the car passing the checkpoint is one of the best things I've seen from Visualworks... ever.

Cloudrift

Banned
I'm a fan of the contemporary setting as well. It's a nice change from medieval or futuristic Sci-Fi. So far I'm liking the character designs (though Stella's older design was better) and you can't argue with teleportation combat. Then finally there's the latin choir music and the fact that considerate care has been given to the characterization of Noctis and Stella.

It's Noctis and Stella's relationship that will truly make the game memorable if it's done right. I'm certainly getting some Romeo and Juliet vibe from the story as well as Hamlet.

Call me optimistic but I would not be surprised if it ends being the best in the series.

-Setting is fucking amazing, easily the best in the franchise in terms of art(from what we have seen so far)

-Looking at he OP, the writer seems to have a positive track record and from the little what we have seem, the story looks interesting. Love the Shakespeare stuff.

-Gameplay will probably be just like KH/Type-0(a.k.a. amazing)

The only bad thing about it is that it's soooooooo fucking far away. Hopefully we get it Q4 2015 at the latest.

I love the real world look. The CG scene from one of the trailers with Noctis in the car passing the checkpoint is one of the best things I've seen from Visualworks... ever.
It's funny because I was watching that same exact trailer(it's the FFv13 2011 gameplay trailer) right before I typed that post and is the reason I brought it up.

I thought this was fall 2014

I would cry with joy if it came out around then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom