• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

batbeg

AlternativeUlster said:
What a weird fucking update. This came out of nowhere. I wonder if this is to tease us about English versions of Mother and Fire Emblem games then.

They're doing a pretty damn terrible tease for the English versions then - you know, by not putting them on the English site and all.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Tonjevic said:
various23_080125j-l.jpg

Falco deconfirmed.
Sak is such a sly bastard using that screenie.

Penguin

I wonder if this extends to everyone...

original Metal Gear and Sonic in a nintendo game would just seem surreal.

And would they include Pokemon or some stadium game?

M3wThr33

Banned
I wonder if it'll be like Game & Watch Gallery 4.
That game had a museum mode in addition to the playable games. BUT if you got REALLY good and got great scores, you could play the games in the museum. It was crazy the amount of games you could unlock.
(Read: Unlock full games)
Pipe dream, yes, but somehow this disc is begging to get hacked to unlock all of these.

Spoit

RagnarokX said:
Just watch there be a Pokemon Red/Blue demo and if you encounter missingno it corrupts your Brawl data and mixes up your trophy collection.
Gameboy on Virtual Console. Belive.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
ShockingAlberto said:
It wasn't fair. The enemy turned on items.

It's not Falco's fault. Fox should have used the boost to chase.

MisterHero said:
And Ness is going home because Pokey has everything under control.

Quit yer rubberneckin'

But Pokey is inevitably going to lose Picky by the meteorite and go back and get Ness again.

And if Ness refuses, Pokey will say something that will cut Ness like a knife.

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:
So have I, but as far as I'm concerned, this means more promotion for those classics and more gamers actually getting in on them. I don't think even a diehard Smash Bros. hater like Amir0x would criticize the idea of everybody being able to play a free trial of Earthbound and Super Metroid and experience greatness.

But then again, ProfessorLobo seems to hate this feature for some reason or other, so apparently anything's possible. :/

That's a good point, although I wonder if it can be powerful enough to make Earthbound VC sell well and make Nintendo consider bringing Mother 3 to the west =p

I'm just disappointed in a kind of selfish -- and not the bigger picture -- kind of way.

And that Falco pic: out of EVERYTHING to take from Star Fox 64, they include the screen that would make the community go crazy o_o

Jiggy

Meloche said:
I've complained quite often that Nintendo has done a poor job of making casual Wii owners aware of the Virtual Console, and it's nice to see them finally getting the word out there on the service. Not only will Brawl's Masterpieces mode give newcomers a taste of some of the older Nintendo classics for the first time, but it'll also serve to introduce the Virtual Console service to a lot of people that have probably never checked out the Shop Channel at all. Good work Nintendo (Sakurai), keep it up.
Whoa, whoa. There is no "Nintendo" in this. At the risk of getting roasted by half the people in here, Nintendo can't even manage to sell themselves half as effectively as Sakurai has managed in one. Single. Game. No, really.

I mean, look. He's brought thirty-seven game composers on board, something Nintendo would never consider doing. He's promoted Konami and Sega, and hence is supporting the game industry as a whole. He's allowed users to create and share their own content. Nobody else at Nintendo bothers with this on a regular basis, at least not for high-visibility games (Advance Wars and Picross DS not being among them, for example). He's implemented all possible Wii control styles, where Nintendo would usually force one or the other out of traditional and experimental controls. Speaking of one or the other, he's put in a full-fledged adventure mode, which Nintendo also doesn't bother with; they're polarized, and are all for either single-player-only experiences (Mario, Zelda, Metroid), or multiplayer-heavy ones (Pokemon, Mario Kart, Wii Sports). It's most evident with how Miyamoto openly told Sakurai not to bother too much with single-player for the N64 game; they've got some kind of either/or mentality going on.

And now Smash Bros. is promoting VC more than Nintendo has in the fourteen months that the service has existed. This isn't Nintendo. This is all Sakurai, and he is the man.

Who said Sakurai was losing?

various23_080125j.jpg

It's Bill Trinen who was angry at translating him!

Awesome feature, there was something like this in Sonic Gems Collection (they set it up so you could fight the final bosses in a bunch of emulated games). I hope they let you unlock a few games for full play.

I wonder if they'll include Sonic 1 based on the "original" angle, or Sonic 3 if they're indeed using Angel Island as the actual Sonic stage, not just the music. (Why else make a big deal about a specific, single remix? Why not make the big remix GHZ if that's the stage, after all?)

Also, you can see the Topi/Seal difference in Ice Climbers between the two pages. Do you know how many baby seals they clubbed until Sakurai gave in and put them in Brawl? It's too horrible to think of.

Jiggy37 said:
Whoa, whoa. There is no "Nintendo" in this. At the risk of getting roasted by half the people in here, Nintendo can't even manage to sell themselves half as effectively as Sakurai has managed in one. Single. Game. No, really.

I mean, look. He's brought thirty-seven game composers on board, something Nintendo would never consider doing. He's promoted Konami and Sega, and hence is supporting the game industry as a whole. He's allowed users to create and share their own content. Nobody else at Nintendo bothers with this on a regular basis, at least not for high-visibility games (Advance Wars and Picross DS not being among them, for example). He's implemented all possible Wii control styles, where Nintendo would usually force one or the other out of traditional and experimental controls. Speaking of one or the other, he's put in a full-fledged adventure mode, which Nintendo also doesn't bother with; they're polarized, and are all for either single-player-only experiences (Mario, Zelda, Metroid), or multiplayer-heavy ones (Pokemon, Mario Kart, Wii Sports). It's most evident with how Miyamoto openly told Sakurai not to bother too much with single-player for the N64 game; they've got some kind of either/or mentality going on.

And now Smash Bros. is promoting VC more than Nintendo has in the fourteen months that the service has existed. This isn't Nintendo. This is all Sakurai, and he is the man.
Ok, Jiggy, I forgive you for the Collete comment. Hell, you can even have Lloyd too.

Rindain

Banned
Ridley as SSE boss confirmed!?

Check out this screen:
various23_080125m-l.jpg

Sakurai said:
Some titles come with save data.
Q: What point in the game is this? A: The Ridley boss fight right before you get the final energy tank!!!

Scribble

ggnoobIGN said:
Don't get all BrawlCentral on us. He's obviously referring to this specific update.

What? Is it so far-fetched to think that this could be the final update, since the game is coming out next week?

Sharp

Scribble said:
What? Is it so far-fetched to think that this could be the final update, since the game is coming out next week?
Yes, since the Melee updates kept on coming even after the game's JPN release.

Jiggy

VeritasVierge said:
Ok, Jiggy, I forgive you for the Collete comment. Hell, you can even have Lloyd too.
Lloyd can stay far, far away. :( I'm still hoping he goes legitimately evil (instead of mind-controlled evil) and I get to kill him in Knight of Ratatosk.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Scribble said:

I think he's thanking the developers of the original games for making it possible to have the classics on the Smash disc.

Goodnight Gaf, when I awake I hope the guy who leaked that short video leaks something else! If I recall he said he was going to show something on Friday :D

Scribble said:

It's not out of the question that there's probably a Sonic game and Metal Gear included along with these others, and all in all this is a pretty big licensing deal, and probably very complicated.

He's probably also saying it out of respect for all the people who created these games over the years. I wonder if their names will actually be included in the end credits roll? It's not like you'll be able to beat these games and see them listed.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:

No roastage, I agree.

Although Colette sucks.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Scribble said:
It's farfetch'd to think the text you quoted is reffering to the possibility of this as a final update. He's obviously just thanking all the developers who are letting their demos become availble, although they probably did not have much of a choice.

Scribble

ggnoobIGN said:
It's farfetch'd to think the text you quoted is reffering to the possibility of this as a final update. He's obviously just thanking all the developers who are letting their demos become availble, although they probably did not have much of a choice.

I've realised that this is the case. No need to have an attitude about it, though.

scottnak

M3wThr33 said:
I wonder if it'll be like Game & Watch Gallery 4.
That game had a museum mode in addition to the playable games. BUT if you got REALLY good and got great scores, you could play the games in the museum. It was crazy the amount of games you could unlock.
(Read: Unlock full games)
Pipe dream, yes, but somehow this disc is begging to get hacked to unlock all of these.
Oooh. Do want. This would be awesome.

Absinthe said:
Color me unimpressed. Demos should be an inherent part of the Wii Shop Channel to begin with.
Pretty much. I've played these full games plenty of times. Why would I care about a bunch of demos of twenty year old games?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not really impressed with this announcement, but I think it's kick ass that he is practically making better decisions than Nintendo is with their games and franchises. They really should make demos an inherent part of the Wii Shop Channel service. I don't think that would be too terribly hard to implement.

WindyMan

Sakurai will be putting a Mother demo in the Japanese version of the game.

What's the point of getting the U.S. version, then?

Sciz

While we're on the subject of "what else can there possibly be?", I'd like to go ahead and predict an unlockable free play mode for SSE that lets you play through any levels with any character, albeit with the story sequences edited out.

edit: I'm near-positive the Dedede battle theme was confirmed at some point, but I couldn't tell you when or where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom