• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethelred

That's lame. There should be demos available for every game on the Virtual Console as it is. You shouldn't need a retail disc for that.

Ramune said:
Might be missing a few but:

Gamecube:

Sonic Adventure 2:Battle
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection

GBA:

Sonic Advance 1-3
Sonic Pinball Party
Sonic Battle
Sonic Genesis

DS:

Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure

Wii:

Sonic and the Secret Rings
Ah didn't think handhelds count, and I never touched any of the GC Sonic games, not really a Sonic fan besides the ones on the Sega systems.

ethelred said:
That's lame. There should be demos available for every game on the Virtual Console as it is. You shouldn't need a retail disc for that.
Be happy it's even on a retail disc.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
ethelred said:
Sakurai isn't in control of the Wii. He can only do so much.

Fireblend

Banned
What?! WHATT? I go to sleep and we get a megaton overnight? Damn. Anyway, great update, I only hate the fact this means they want us to pay for the whole game, it even feels incomplete if I don't. Damn you Sakurai :lol , but on the other hand if only this meant Earthbound for the virtual console....

Akinola

Who hasn't already purchased all the games mentioned on the dojo yet, lol.

I guess we can expect metal gear NES. That was a pretty sweet update

jarrod

Banned
Ramune said:
Might be missing a few but:

Gamecube:

Sonic Adventure 2:Battle
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection

GBA:

Sonic Advance 1-3
Sonic Pinball Party
Sonic Battle
Sonic Genesis

DS:

Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure

Wii:

Sonic and the Secret Rings
You are...

Game Boy Advance
-Sonic Advance (2001) Dimps
-Sonic Advance 2 (2002) Dimps
-Sonic Pinball Party (2003) Jupiter
-Sonic Battle (2003) Sonic Team
-Sonic Advance 3 (2004) Dimps
-Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis (2006) Backbone Entertainment

GameCube
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (2001) Sonic Team USA
-Sonic Mega Collection (2002) Sonic Team
-Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (2003) Sonic Team
-Sonic Heroes (2003) Sonic Team USA
-Sonic Gems Collection (2004) Sonic Team
-Shadow the Hedgehog (2005) SEGA Studios USA
-Sonic Riders (2006) SEGA General Entertainment R&D2

Nintendo DS
-Sonic Rush (2005) Dimps
-Sonic Rush Adventure (2007) Dimps
-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (2008) SEGA AM Sports R&D
-Sega Superstars Tennis (2008) Sumo Digital

Wii
-Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007) SEGA General Entertainment R&D1
-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (2007) SEGA AM Sports R&D
-Sonic Riders XG (2008) SEGA General Entertainment R&D2
-Sega Superstars Tennis (2008) Sumo Digital
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008) Sora/Game Arts

...and throwing in Snake...

NES
-Metal Gear (1987) Konami
-Snake's Revenge (1990) Konami

Game Boy Color
-Metal Gear Solid (2000) Kojima Productions

Game Boy Advance
-Konami Krazy Racers (2001) KCEK

GameCube
-Evolution Skateboarding (2002) KCEO
-DreamMix TV: World Fighters (2003) Hudson
-Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (2004) Silicon Knights

Wii
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008) Sora/Game Arts

Fireblend

Banned
So, seriously, do you think this has been the Nintendo title with the biggest budget yet? A huge development team, more composers than you can shake a stick at, FFVII guy writing the story for subspace, content galore and a brilliant marketing campaign (Japan only on the last one). This is got to cost a fortune for Nintendo, what other title could have been as costly for Nintendo?

NeonZ

Teasel said:
(does anyone know in what order melee secret character were revealed? were jigglypuff and luigi first? they seem the more obvious choices)

Yes, Luigi was the first one, but the second one actually was... Marth.

Luigi - 27/11/2001
Marth - 4/12/2001
Pichu - 11/12/2001
Ganondorf - 18/12/2001
Jigglypuff - 25/12/2001
Dr.Mario and Falco - 1/1/2002
Mewtwo - 8/1/2002
Roy - 15/1/2002
Young Link 22/1/2002
Mr.G&W - 29/1/2002
Master Hand, Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser (unplayable bosses) - 5/2/2002

TreIII

sp0rsk said:
Every time I watch a media collection on Niconico my anticipation jumps through the roof. SIX MORE DAYS ARGGGGG.

"ARGGGGG", indeed. :D

Any way, what are some good media collections you've seen on Nico? One that I've watched recently had like Snowman (Mother 1), the Dark World (Zelda LTTP) and the PKMN R/G/B Title Screen theme.

Fireblend said:
So, seriously, do you think this has been the Nintendo title with the biggest budget yet? A huge development team, more composers than you can shake a stick at, FFVII guy writing the story for subspace, content galore and a brilliant marketing campaign (Japan only on the last one). This is got to cost a fortune for Nintendo, what other title could have been as costly for Nintendo?
I don't think any Nintendo game will ever surpass the budget of Wii Play...

:D

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
i can say safely sakurai's next game is my most anticipated ever. i dont even have brawl in my hands yet. VC DEMOS YES OMG ALL OVER MY FACEEEE

Minsc

Gold Member
dwin45 said:
Earthbound demo ftw??

I'd buy it without the demo, looks fun. I really hope there's a bunch new translated VC demos of previously untranslated "masterpiece" games in Brawl, great advertising.

Rindain said:
Check out this screen:
various23_080125m-l.jpg

Some titles come with save data.

Q: What point in the game is this? A: The Ridley boss fight right before you get the final energy tank!!!

I wonder why nobody else commented this. I doublechecked it with the German translation and I can verify this interpretation is true - some of the games already come with existing saves - probably so you can try out games at certain later points in the game (since the first level of a game is often not a good example of the rest of its gameplay). This is more surprising than the simple existance of the demos, and I think its
an extremely good idea.

And I agree that this will start up a new wave of speedrunning - non-emulator assisted.

Sharp

splattergnome said:
I wonder why nobody else commented this. I doublechecked it with the German translation and I can verify this interpretation is true - some of the games already come with existing saves - probably so you can try out games at certain later points in the game (since the first level of a game is often not a good example of the rest of its gameplay). This is more surprising than the simple existance of the demos, and I think its
an extremely good idea.

And I agree that this will start up a new wave of speedrunning - non-emulator assisted.
I don't think anyone's going to beat hotarubi's time, and I'm not sure it's even worth trying for most people. That said, if more people get into Super Metroid speedrunning, that will just be more of a good thing!

I don't really care about demos for most of the games but I'd gladly set aside my sadness about the delay or lack of Isaac if this means a translated Earthbound Zero, Mother 3, and Fire Emblem. This would be the most awesome game in the world if its release heralds localizations of those titles.

Neiteio

I've read some comments saying, "Why doesn't Nintendo give us the whole game, ala Animal Crossing?"

It's quite simple, really: 1) Nintendo likes to make money and 2) everyone who's already bought the games on VC would feel screwed over.

I think it's great. I'll get to sample Ice Climber, Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure.

Also: F-Zero or F-Zero X? They're both on the VC, so it'll be interesting to see which (if any) is chosen to rep C. Falcon. I think they should go with X, especially since Melee had stages lifted straight out of that game, but you never know.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Geez, Kotaku was a bit quick to pull the trigger on their 'massive Smash Brothers spoiler' story this morning. Good job guys, good job.

As for the update, it's awesome. So, is this just a set number of demos on the disc, or are more going to be available via DLC in the future? I'd think the later is improbable, but you never know.

Neiteio said:
I've read some comments saying, "Why doesn't Nintendo give us the whole game, ala Animal Crossing?"

It's quite simple, really: 1) Nintendo likes to make money and 2) everyone who's already bought the games on VC would feel screwed over.

I think it's great. I'll get to sample Ice Climber, Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure.

Also: F-Zero or F-Zero X? They're both on the VC, so it'll be interesting to see which (if any) is chosen to rep C. Falcon. I think they should go with X, especially since Melee had stages lifted straight out of that game, but you never know.
Yep. I've purchased VC games of the ones I already have in AC. Nintendo has me by the balls! :lol

I also hope F-Zero X gets the nod in Brawl. That game deserves more praise than it receives! :D

MisterHero

EvilMario said:
Geez, Kotaku was a bit quick to pull the trigger on their 'massive Smash Brothers spoiler' story this morning. Good job guys, good job.

As for the update, it's awesome. So, is this just a set number of demos on the disc, or are more going to be available via DLC in the future? I'd think the later is improbable, but you never know.
I think the reason these demos are included is because they're for people who have no access to VC (offline players), and thus everyone can enjoy them. Yeah I don't think this has much to do with VC besides being an advertisement for it.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
splattergnome said:
an extremely good idea.

But you also fight Ridley in the first five minutes of Super Metroid. I don't know why they included a save so late in the game, but it's not so you can see Ridley because he's playable...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The most exciting thing for me is what they're gonna be doing about the Japanese only franchises... could this mean that localized versions of FE and Mother 3 are in our future? I can only hope so...

Shiggy

I hope they won't scrap Mother 2 / Fire Emblem from the European version. Though it seems so after they don't even appear on the Dojo website.

Neiteio

djtiesto said:
The most exciting thing for me is what they're gonna be doing about the Japanese only franchises... could this mean that localized versions of FE and Mother 3 are in our future? I can only hope so...
I wouldn't count on them localizing Fire Emblem. The title is already being remade for DS (http://serenesforest.net/fe1ds/pre.html). It's more likely the DS remake will be translated into English.

However, I bet they'll put Earthbound on the VC before March 9 and have an Earthbound demo in the game...

coreycubed

Neo Member
So raise your hand if you have the original NES release of Ice Climber...!

*raises hand*

It still works too. I'm probably the only gamer in this thread that has it.

No offense to Sakurai's genius, but SSB needs an endless drove of sequels. It's not as if there's no reason to make sequels to this game.

coreycubed said:
So raise your hand if you have the original NES release of Ice Climber...!

*raises hand*

It still works too. I'm probably the only gamer in this thread that has it.

*hand*

Baryn

Banned
Blablurn said:
I cant believe that Sakurai is THAT awesome.

I want to see his next own project. Awesome awesome. He is the next big thing.
Guy directed Kirby's Dreamland as a teenager, Sakurai is finally getting the attention he deserves.

Jiggy

syllogism said:
Can someone explain to me what's exciting about these Virtual Console demo/trial versions?
That some new gamers can discover old classics.

Son of Godzilla said:
Pokemon Trainer = Megaton. Olimar = Not.
Believe me, I agree, and that's how I've counted it.
And even then, people had to convince me about Pokemon Trainer, and I only really gave in because it was, after all, basically three characters in the same day.

Gekkonidae said:
They ran out of things to put in Smash so they just started taking features the Wii should have and putting them in the game.
1144 pages and this just might be the best comment in all of them.

TunaLover said:
If only the music was as good as Melee, real instruments and so... oh well.
There weren't very many Melee tracks like that. They had the Pokemon theme and Gourmet Race theme (Fountain of Dreams), and I think the Fire Emblem themes were possibly orchestrated, but that's about it off the top of my head...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom