• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

yamato - 15

Huh, legit surprised by
Desler getting killed so soon. But the bigger surprise was Misaki's BF(F?) being revealed as the treacherous rogue that he is. KEIKAKU DOORI

- another moment where I thought to myself, ah, that's where the gif is from (the
bombing of the rebel planet, when the lasers are ripping through the cities
). Yamato is frequently a beautiful show, and its beauty is often show through ruin and destruction. Seeing it unfold on land away from the CG-dominated warscape of space was a treat, which admittedly was not the case for those
who got blown up. Such absurdly huge bombs.

- that scene where
Niimi is seducing Shima was detailed stuff. Episode as a whole had some dramatic, swooping shots and I'm glad that the eye exchange between Domel and Okita happened, even if they didn't actually see eye to eye.

- the way it wraps up is bullshit, but it's how the story must go on, so whatever, I suppose.

I feel like I have a good grip at this point on just what the purpose of the Yamato is -
the Iscandarians didn't send a ship engine out of some altruistic spirit, it was for the delivery of a sword.

CorvoSol

Guys I kinda feel like there's a hole in my life now that I have no Monogatari to watch. I think I legit loved that show.

Monogatari - 24-26 (END)

A fairly boring set of two episodes that led up to a decent finale.

Was honestly not expecting Kaiki to die at the end like that.

I'm not really as much of a fan of Kaiki as others are, so this arc wasn't exactly my favorite. The OP was the best one in the series in a while, though.

LordCanti

Guys I kinda feel like there's a hole in my life now that I have no Monogatari to watch. I think I legit loved that show.

Read the two or three translated chapters of Hana and uhh...Yotsugi's arc, and then weep in the corner with the rest of us. Novel fansubbers are some flaky bastards; They've only had years to translate a LN :p

What show are you guys talking about?

Telling you would kind of spoil some things for you, but:
Yamato 2199

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Read the two or three translated chapters of Hana and uhh...Yotsugi's arc, and then weep in the corner with the rest of us. Novel fansubbers are some flaky bastards; They've only had years to translate a LN :p

Telling you would kind of spoil some things for you, but:
Yamato 2199

I guess more reason to watch it then

Dresden

yamato - 16

So much Yuki shipping, this is sickening.

- really liked the little jaunt into
the alien ruin/abandoned ship. There's this nice adventure running in parallel with the mutiny onboard the Yamato,
and I feel like this is another example of how dense the show can be in terms of pacing and content. It's always inventive, even if it's mostly within the rut set by its predecessor, and the way it develops and delivers different plotlines at once is good stuff.

-
This is why you never trust anyone with slits for eyes.

CorvoSol

I can't even be bothered to read all of the Full Metal Panic! Light Novels. I've been pretty bad about reading lately, haha.

LordCanti

I can't even be bothered to read all of the Full Metal Panic! Light Novels. I've been pretty bad about reading lately, haha.

I try and then I get discouraged because the LN translators can't follow a schedule to save their lives. There are chapters of Shin Sekai Yori and Uchouten Kazoku translated out there, but both never get updated.

yamato - 16
So much Yuki shipping, this is sickening.

Maetel always seems to get her man, even if there is a clearly superior dark skin right there, waiting in the wings.

CorvoSol

I try and then I get discouraged because the LN translators can't follow a schedule to save their lives. There are chapters of Shin Sekai Yori and Uchouten Kazoku translated out there, but both never get updated.

Maetel always seems to get her man, even if there is a clearly superior dark skin right there, waiting in the wings.

Manga translators also sort of bug me. It isn't like a video game where you have to go and change programs or something. You're editing an image.

Theonik

Saving the world... by conquering it.
Ghale Garmillon
Ghale Dessler

GAF! OMG! Someone called it right!

Me thinks he put a baby in her :3
Gotta save Iskandar.

At least warn that these are Akito spoilers dude.
Akito takes place between R1 and R2. It's not a spoiler.

I actually already saw it. It had a penis monster swallow a girl alive.
Same character designer as Apocalypse Zero if you wondered.
The director of apocalypse zero also did School Days and parts of Katanagatari.

You people and your watching bad things instead of good things. Take it upon yourselves to go watch Steins;Gate or Fate/Zero or something.
One of these shows don't fit. Yamato should replace it.

CorvoSol

Oh great, of COURSE Dark Cat, Apocalypse Zero and School Days share character designers. Because I wasn't going to have nightmare crossovers in my head tonight anyway.

EDIT: On the positive side, Illuminati Manga claims they'll have FMP! Sigma's final volume ready in early January. If that is the case I will be shelving basically everything I am watching to experience the entire series. Add this to the fact that I hear a certain other translation project is due to complete sometime in late January, early February and my copy of Gundam Breaker arrives sometime in there as well, and I can assume that my ability to focus on homework will be seriously jeopardized in the month of January.

That's not 4Kids!

here is the 4kids edit.

Ex7BGkel.jpg

lol'd at "notshana" in OP, then lol'd again when I saw the character art. Goddamn.

Anyway, finally finishing up KnK and GD from last season. Unfortunately, both endings were messy and rushed and both shows end up being mediocre overall after decent starts and what could have been good stories. For GD,
the "minor twist" or whatever they did to add depth to the story was kinda cool, but it was annoying and disconnecting otherwise

I'm glad I'm done with airing from then though. Other than continuing Log Horizon, not much seems to be interesting this season. It's time for my annual rewatch of realshana anyway.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hanamaru Kindergarten episode 5
omg I want to eat koume, she is too precious, and kirbyyoyoi isnt gonna stop me!

White Album 2 - 13 END
That was a somewhat surprisingly depressing way to end this. And not in a good way either.

Also, god damn at
them rubbing salt in her wounds right in front of her at the airport.

Gazoinks

White Album 2 - 13 END
That was a somewhat surprisingly depressing way to end this. And not in a good way either.

Also, god damn at

I haven't seen this episode yet, but I'd probably be more surprised if it didn't end depressingly at this point.

survivor

Banned
White Album 2 - 1

For a romance waifu wars anime they really should have worked better on improving the character designs. Outside of that, solid opener episode. Also I wonder if this is gonna be a real light music club or K-On light music club.

I haven't seen this episode yet, but I'd probably be more surprised if it didn't end depressingly at this point.

I'd rather have seen it end at episode 12 than how it actually ends. You'll probably understand what I mean when you get around to 13. It leaves off at a strange place to say the least.

Gazoinks

I'd rather have seen it end at episode 12 than how it actually ends. You'll probably understand what I mean when you get around to 13. It leaves off at a strange place to say the least.

But episode 12 also would be a super depressing ending,
I'm pretty sure ending the series when Haruki completely blows off Setsuna for good to reunite with Kazusa would make me punch a hole through my screen. Too many hanging threads.

The ending probably feels weird because there's actually more to the story in a second VN.

Kite

But episode 12 also would be a super depressing ending,
I'm pretty sure ending the series when Haruki completely blows off Setsuna for good to reunite with Kazusa would make me punch a hole through my screen. Too many hanging threads.

The ending probably feels weird because there's actually more to the story in a second VN.
Apparently there are two more from what I've read, all that has been animated so far is the prologue. On reddit someone summarized all the routes, so if you think what you've seen so far is depressing well.. you have no idea what is coming. I can't wait for more to be animated.

Dresden

blue > brown > blond

alien > human

the weird jiell witch girl > all

---

yamato - 17

Seeing how a certain decision from episode one informs and influences the decisions made now just brings home how well written this show is. So good.

Gazoinks

Apparently there are two more from what I've read, all that has been animated so far is the prologue. On reddit someone summarized all the routes, so if you think what you've seen so far is depressing well.. you have no idea what is coming. I can't wait for more to be animated.

I sort of have mixed feelings about future While Album 2, because the first 7 episodes of this series were still my favorite. In particular I felt like Haruki got less and less cool and likable as it went on. Which was a shame, because he started off unusually cool and likable for a romance protag.

I sort of have mixed feelings about future While Album 2, because the first 7 episodes of this series were still my favorite. In particular I felt like Haruki got less and less cool and likable as it went on. Which was a shame, because he started off unusually cool and likable for a romance protag.

His likable confidence earlier on definitely disappeared as he became more and more of a sad sack compared to the other two.

But I'm tellin' ya, I can't get into too much detail about the ending without spoiling it entirely!

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 24

This is the one with
The Black Tri-Stars
and
Matilda's death.
At this point, I have to call you out, Pro-Zeon GAF. Specifically those in your ranks who somehow insist the White Base was an unimportant vessel of no real consequence in the war. In this episode
General Revil is so scared of the Black Tri-Stars he changes the timing of a crucial operation just to avoid them. These are the guys who captured HIM. The White Base, low on time and supplies, kills one of them and drives them away. General Revil is tickled pink and the Zeon are left furious.

Like I mean what does this ship need to do? Zeon ace Char Aznable lost his job because of it. Ramba Ral, a Black Tri Star, and a Zeon Prince are all
murdered by it.
Hell, even Lady Kyclia is frightened of it. The Earth Federation bases all of its mobile suit designs off of the ones on it, and all of their future ships on it. Their generals are aware of it, and sit their pleased as punch when they hear how well it is doing. Legends of this ship and the Gundam last for literally tens of thousands of years.

And STILL you people want me to believe that the White Base and the Gundam were not important to the war at all? STILL you want to bring up the Red Baron and the Sopwith Camel and try and play it all off like its just some overblown story? I mean sure the Gundam and the White Base don't single handedly win the war but this stupid denial of the importance of both machines to the war effort is on par with the hilarious notion that Earth is somehow obsolete later on in the series or that the Federation is in ruins. It's all fantastic poppy-cock Zeon fans invent to keep themselves warm at night.

LordCanti

Mobile Suit Gundam 24

This is the one with
The Black Tri-Stars
and
Matilda's death.
At this point, I have to call you out, Pro-Zeon GAF. Specifically those in your ranks who somehow insist the White Base was an unimportant vessel of no real consequence in the war. In this episode
General Revil is so scared of the Black Tri-Stars he changes the timing of a crucial operation just to avoid them. These are the guys who captured HIM. The White Base, low on time and supplies, kills one of them and drives them away. General Revil is tickled pink and the Zeon are left furious.

Like I mean what does this ship need to do? Zeon ace Char Aznable lost his job because of it. Ramba Ral, a Black Tri Star, and a Zeon Prince are all
murdered by it.
Hell, even Lady Kyclia is frightened of it. The Earth Federation bases all of its mobile suit designs off of the ones on it, and all of their future ships on it. Their generals are aware of it, and sit their pleased as punch when they hear how well it is doing. Legends of this ship and the Gundam last for literally tens of thousands of years.

And STILL you people want me to believe that the White Base and the Gundam were not important to the war at all? STILL you want to bring up the Red Baron and the Sopwith Camel and try and play it all off like its just some overblown story? I mean sure the Gundam and the White Base don't single handedly win the war but this stupid denial of the importance of both machines to the war effort is on par with the hilarious notion that Earth is somehow obsolete later on in the series or that the Federation is in ruins. It's all fantastic poppy-cock Zeon fans invent to keep themselves warm at night.

The White Base proved the merits of a modular cockpit among other things and they were certainly around for most of the important bits of the war, but it was an enormous
fleet and all the resources of the Federation that ultimately defeated Zeon.

Basically, you're right. They didn't
win the war themselves, but without them, Revil is probably done at Odessa.

blue > brown > blond

alien > human

the weird jiell witch girl > all

---

yamato - 17

Seeing how a certain decision from episode one informs and influences the decisions made now just brings home how well written this show is. So good.

I'm on team Blue Hair (Counsel meeee pleaseeeee) but she wasn't interested. Among the two girls that were, Dark Skin-chan was clearly superior to Maetel.

Alien-chan didn't do much for me.

Kite

If anyone wants to read the White Album 2 VNs endings summarized, the link is at the end of this post. Totally spoilerish obviously. Imo Kazusa's True ending is the most fitting to this depressing saga

http://mdzanime. me/2013/12/29/white-album-2-concluding-chapter-coda-rough-summary/ delete the spaces between the . and me to get the address working

CorvoSol

The White Base proved the merits of a modular cockpit among other things and they were certainly around for most of the important bits of the war, but it was an enormous
fleet and all the resources of the Federation that ultimately defeated Zeon.

Basically, you're right. They didn't
win the war themselves, but without them, Revil is probably done at Odessa.

It's disingenuous to even say it was an enormous fleet or that Revil's career was over because as early as Ghiren Zabi's speech the Zeon have lost the war. Ghiren himself acknowledges they've lost. The problem is that they, like all spacenoids who come after them, are arrogant, vicious, stupid racists who are hellbent on world-domination. I don't even know where people get the hilarious misconception that the spacenoids want freedom, because 1) they already had it and 2) THEY OUT AND OUT SAY IN MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THAT THEY WANT WORLD DOMINATION. Ghiren is out to conquer the world, and his father, Degwin, wanted it so badly he murdered his friend to get there.

The only time the spacenoids aren't the villains is Turn A, and surprise surprise, there's gravity on the moon, too, motherfuckers. Apparently not having gravity in your soul turns you into an amoral asshole hellbent on world domination and destruction. Check out Crux Dogatie.

Quasar

White Album 2 - 13 END

Also, god damn at

Yeah it was sad, but I thought it was good. Handled with the care I don't expect from anime of this sort. I feel the same way about the VN commentary /summary of the missing conclusion.

Impressed the that whole thing stayed grounded and not go with crazy shit that you see frequently in anime or painting one person as a total villain. Its much more nuanced than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom