• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
January 31st, 2008. Super Smash Bros. Brawl has officially gone on sale in Japan. Is everybody having fun with it?

However, Smash won’t come out in North America for a bit and sadly, Europe has an even longer wait until the game releases.

For the past eight months or so, Smash Dojo has served as a source of basic information for the game, but with the release of Brawl, the Dojo will take on a new role.

From here on out, the Dojo will begin to introduce the hidden characters, hidden stages, and additional features in Brawl that have gone unmentioned until now. I’d like to continue to add on to the Dojo so that players of Brawl can come back to this website following it’s completion and view Smash Dojo as a sort of guide for the game.

I plan on continuing updates for another two months, so please continue to enjoy the site.

Just remember, I’ll be posting information on hidden characters and other in-game secrets, so you should take caution when viewing the site if you want to save those surprises for later.
Hey guys. We can post spoilers in this thread now.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm not trying to suggest there's a connection here, but that event that pits Dedede against a giant Metal Dedede reminds me of an episode of the Kirby anime where a statue Dedede commisioned came to life and went berserk or something.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Not looooooooong enough! :( I want a full-sized update about it I do I do!

It looks like Sakurai got all of those menu updates he implied were coming in the Vault update done in one fell swoop.

Guess you'll have to wait for Brawl to come out before you can get your stats screen. D:

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
It looks like Sakurai got all of those menu updates he implied were coming in the Vault update done in one fell swoop.

Guess you'll have to wait for Brawl to come out before you can get your stats screen. D:
I still believe, since he said he'd be going over them "one by one." >_>

Iam Canadian

Keru_Shiri said:
I've already been spoiled on the roster. But I hope Sakurai takes it easy on the SSE spoilers.

I really don't think Sakurai will be spoiling the Subspace Emissary, aside from when he tells us how to unlock something.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
There a slight differences between the American and Japanese videos on the dojo. The most concerning is that the Japanese video shows Fire Emblem in the masterpieces mode and the American one does not.

It'd be unfortunate if NOA removed some of the classic games available.

Sciz

Guess I'll watch this in half an hour when the Dojo has bandwidth again.

Iam Canadian said:
Curse you, Sonic Adventure and your bizarre but memorable song lyrics.

Oh, it's a windy and sunny day
And I can hear the faint sound of distant waves
The past weeks have been going so fast
It's all the same, the bright sky and shining sun

I have a feeling it's gonna be a fun day!

Actually the lyrics to that song fit the Dojo pretty well.

Iam Canadian

morningbus said:
There a slight differences between the American and Japanese videos on the dojo. The most concerning is that the Japanese video shows Fire Emblem in the masterpieces mode and the American one does not.

It'd be unfortunate if NOA removed some of the classic games available.

Unfortunately, I really can't see Nintendo keeping the Japanese Fire Emblem game(s) in Smash.

BUT IF THEY REMOVE MOTHER 2 THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY.

Edit: Appropriate that my Carbon Dog avatar popped up after I posted this. Yeah, you see Carbon Dog, Nintendo? If you remove Mother 2, you have to deal with him.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Okay, Dedede's victory animation is just :lol .

1q66xj.jpg

Combined with the way it looks like he's slapping the Waddle Dee... something dirty is going on here.

TreIII

Mockingbird said:
Ummm, that's always been the correct pronunciation. Japan doesn't have a "Deeeee" sound so they pronounce it as "de- de- de-" but when translated to English it's "Deeee deee deee."

...Actually, yes they do.

ディ = "Dee" sound. It's what they used to write out such names as "Dio Brando" (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure).

So, if Sakurai/Nintendo really wanted to, they could have chosen to write Dedede's name in that manner too. But they didn't, so I think it's obvious that they wanted "Day-day-day", and the rest of the world just went to the beat of their own drum, paying no heed to what was truly intended.

I mean, for instance, Porky/Pokey from Earthbound/Mother 2. I can excuse Dan Owsen (NoA's translator) for probably not getting the in-joke, but in all fairness, Itoh probably intended it to be "Porky" from the start. The fact that Porky and Pokey are pronounced phonetically the same in Japanese just added to the confusion... :D

Dreavus

Oh look, this thread got a new lease on life.

2 more months... I'm not sure whether I'll be staying up for every single one though, like I pretty much have up until now.

I couldn't resist the siren call of the spoiler thread. :p

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Iam Canadian said:
I'm told that the Japanese pronounce it "Deh Deh Deh". I figured that made sense and followed suit.

Also, I noticed in the video that you can unlock new parts for the Stage Builder.

:lol Haha ok that doesn't sound too bad...
I was hoping you thought it was "Deux-Deux-Deux" (french style).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Iam Canadian said:
Unfortunately, I really can't see Nintendo keeping the Japanese Fire Emblem game(s) in Smash.

BUT IF THEY REMOVE MOTHER 2 THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY.

Edit: Appropriate that my Carbon Dog avatar popped up after I posted this. Yeah, you see Carbon Dog, Nintendo? If you remove Mother 2, you have to deal with him.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Iam Canadian

TreIII said:
I mean, for instance, Porky/Pokey from Earthbound/Mother 2. I can excuse Dan Owsen (NoA's translator) for probably not getting the in-joke, but in all fairness, Itoh probably intended it to be "Porky" from the start. The fact that Porky and Pokey are pronounced phonetically the same in Japanese just added to the confusion... :D

You know, I think Dan Owsen did get the in-joke. He left in all the other references to Pokey's pig-like nature, after all. I know that Dr. Andonuts calls Pokey "a pig wearing clothes" after he
steals the Phase Distorter
, after all.

In fact, part of me thinks it was to avoid trademark infringement (Porky Pig) than anything else. Obviously that's just a shot in the dark, but that's my wild theory.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TreIII said:
...Actually, yes they do.

ディ = "Dee" sound. It's what they used to write out such names as "Dio Brando" (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure).

So, if Sakurai/Nintendo really wanted to, they could have chosen to write Dedede's name in that manner too. But they didn't, so I think it's obvious that they wanted "Day-day-day", and the rest of the world just went to the beat of their own drum, paying no heed to what was truly intended.

Pokey still works as a joke, is closer to a real name, and is less mean. Heck, I'd probably turn into a super villian if I were named Porky.

I guarantee he got the joke though considering how close the rest of the game is to the original.

Iam Canadian

grandjedi6 said:
Search your feelings, you know it to be true

THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Edit:

Man God said:
Pokey still works as a joke, is closer to a real name, and is less mean. Heck, I'd probably turn into a super villian if I were named Porky.

Pokey's mom's name is Lardna.

With that in mind, I would not put it past the Minches to name their kid Porky.

Yes the Dojo will live on for a couple of more months! :D

Tonights new videa was fantastic. It still amazes me how much content is in the game. :D

Desperado

I'm not sure what to do. I've had a hard enough time avoiding spoiler threads...do I now avoid the Dojo? I just don't want SSE spoiled. :( I can deal with finding out about characters...I guess.

mCACGj

I do not want anything else spoiled for me. I have deleted the Dojo link from my favorites. I will now have to avoid this thread too, at least until March 10. It has been good fellas, I'll see you on the other side (aka in a month).

Chumly

Awesome video. Ive been wanting a rundown of just the general options and this was perfect :D . Did everyone see that you can unlock more parts to the stage builder?

Meloche

Not quite the intro video I predicted, but it's an intro video nonetheless. And an amaaaaazing one at that. I loved how the music synced up so well with the video -- the Brawl main theme played during the first section of single player gameplay clips, and then it segued nicely into the Brawl Menu theme once he started going through the menus. Then he switched songs in the My Music section to the Zelda theme, and then in the next demonstration for the soundtest, he switched it back to the Menu theme. I guess what I'm getting at is that it was a brilliantly made video, and I loved every second of it. Damn, does this game ever have content content content.

Looking forward to those spoiler updates -- can't wait to hear Sakurai's captions for some of the unlockables. :0)

One thing I'm really stoked about is the number of trophies they put in, apparently. While Mario's bound to get a Paper Groom Bowser trophy, I'm sure it's only there because everyone across the whole field's gonna get a little bit extra. Hopefully we'll get a Giga Robo trophy! :D

Jiggy

~Like, today had the 38th game mode. Wow, so many! It's even a little more than how many shoes I own... I'm feeling a little jealous. ;_; But the Dojo only has 32 double updates, so I win that one!~

~Game modes are so, so hot and they've been just all over the place lately. Like, in the last six days there were five of them. That's a LOT. A LOT. You know? Anyways, I can't help thinking about an old saying: "When it rains, it cats and dogs!" ^__^~

~Thank you for your service, Mr. Notice! Because of you, Friday-tan is finally playing nice with her sister... Thursday-tan jumps up in front with 43 real and totally super official updates, even though Friday-tan only scored 42. (But Fri-chan had one of those invisible stealthy things too. When I think about it, I want an invisible-stealthy-thing maker. ~_~ I'd use it for the freckles on my face.)~

~So lately there's been six whole days, SIX of them, without any series getting updates... We miss you guys!~

~Two months left! Knowing that Cherry-Don, he'll probably have fun stuff to read. I can't wait for the times we'll share!~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom