• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I haven't really been following this game much. Just stopping by here and there for the major updates. Can I ask a few questions?

Is all of the music from the game playable in the sound effects area? I think I'd pay the cost of the game just to be able to record a version of that Angel Island song.

How exactly does the campaign-type thing work? I thought you could pick a character to play through it with, but the Diddy Kong/Fox video I saw makes it seem like you get a choice between the characters in that chapter? And it's all one storyline? Like, those Kingdom Heart looking things come and everything plays off of that (Mario's world decaying, that Pokemon coming out of the ocean, etc.)?

Lastly, can you do online co-op with the campaign? How many players?

This game seems massive. I haven't played any Smash games besides the first one, but this one is definitely seeming like it's a must-have.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
~Like, today had the 38th game mode. Wow, so many! It's even a little more than how many shoes I own... I'm feeling a little jealous. ;_; But the Dojo only has 32 double updates, so I win that one!~

~Game modes are so, so hot and they've been just all over the place lately. Like, in the last six days there were five of them. That's a LOT. A LOT. You know? Anyways, I can't help thinking about an old saying: "When it rains, it cats and dogs!" ^__^~

~Thank you for your service, Mr. Notice! Because of you, Friday-tan is finally playing nice with her sister... Thursday-tan jumps up in front with 43 real and totally super official updates, even though Friday-tan only scored 42. (But Fri-chan had one of those invisible stealthy things too. When I think about it, I want an invisible-stealthy-thing maker. ~_~ I'd use it for the freckles on my face.)~

~So lately there's been six whole days, SIX of them, without any series getting updates... We miss you guys!~

~Two months left! Knowing that Cherry-Don, he'll probably have fun stuff to read. I can't wait for the times we'll share!~

:lol :lol You've held this in for a while huh :p

Jiggy

Danthrax said:
Jiggy, et al: YouTube videos are downloadable using RealPlayer, actually
Yeah, I download YouTube videos all the time, but it still wouldn't be a playable MP3 and I'm not sure if those are banworthy. >_>

mCACGj said:
I do not want anything else spoiled for me. I have deleted the Dojo link from my favorites. I will now have to avoid this thread too, at least until March 10. It has been good fellas, I'll see you on the other side (aka in a month).
gardy.jpg

"The maiden cast a last glance over her shoulder after she had turned and bid farewell."

Meloche said:
Then he switched songs in the My Music section to the Zelda theme, and then in the next demonstration for the soundtest, he switched it back to the Menu theme.
That was a pretty crazy tease, I have to admit. I want to hear my Yuzo Koshiro Zelda theme! D:

Edit:
Iam Canadian said:
Jiggy...

I don't know whether to laugh or be terrified.
I've done way better before. :(

scottnak said:
:lol :lol You've held this in for a while huh :p
Frighteningly enough, "a while" is only the hour or so since I proposed the idea. >_>

Cocopjojo said:
Hey guys, I haven't really been following this game much. Just stopping by here and there for the major updates. Can I ask a few questions?

Is all of the music from the game playable in the sound effects area? I think I'd pay the cost of the game just to be able to record a version of that Angel Island song.

How exactly does the campaign-type thing work? I thought you could pick a character to play through it with, but the Diddy Kong/Fox video I saw makes it seem like you get a choice between the characters in that chapter? And it's all one storyline? Like, those Kingdom Heart looking things come and everything plays off of that (Mario's world decaying, that Pokemon coming out of the ocean, etc.)?

This game seems massive. I haven't played any Smash games besides the first one, but this one is definitely seeming like it's a must-have.

Yes, once the music is unlocked, it can be played in the sound test.

You follow a story, but at certain points, you can choose which character to play as. As far as I know, it's a set story line with different stages and such.

No online co-op for SSE (the story mode). There is offline coop for it, though. 4 players online for battles. There is co-op Multiman and sandbag online, though. As well as various other things that use the WiFi connection.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cocopjojo said:

Yes, all of the songs are available in the sound test and on the My Music Screen. Adventure is divided into stages where you pick between several characters in each section since it's one big story. You can do co-op with two players, but it is not online.

Edit: Beaten and it seems that Jiggy has finally lost it.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
Frighteningly enough, "a while" is only the hour or so since I proposed the idea. >_>

An hour? That's not bad at all.
Uhh. Lets say impressive improvisation then. *thumbs up*

*cough* Anywhooo. I was wondering if there were any new releases of Kirby-ized characters. I don't want to delve thru spoilers, but as I've got a grasp of the char. list, any Kirby-ized char photo would be great!

Jiggy

RoboPlato said:
Edit: Beaten and it seems that Jiggy has finally lost it.
I seek to develop not just multiple personalities, but all personalities, in order that I may complete my android software, which in these beta stages I've christened "The Omni-Human."

Iam Canadian said:
I suppose I can't argue with that.
Oh, I wasn't talking about Dojo stats posts. I really wasn't feeling that hypergenkigirl parody compared to a few that I've tried in the past... But oh well. >_>

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jiggy37 said:
I seek to develop not just multiple personalities, but all personalities, in order that I may complete my android software, which in these beta stages I've christened "The Omni-Human."
I'm next for replacement, aren't I?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jiggy37 said:

Oh, I wasn't talking about Dojo stats posts. I really wasn't feeling that hypergenkigirl parody compared to a few that I've tried in the past... But oh well. >_>

It's okay, the Dojo Thread still loves you. Maybe try an All Your Base parody next.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I have no clue what Jiggy is talking about with personalities nad Omni-Human, so I'll just assume he's a zombie now. Time to get the shotgun

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Danthrax said:
It's okay, the Dojo Thread still loves you. Maybe try an All Your Base parody next.

Not until he does the Star Fox 64 gimmick.

grandjedi6 said:
I have no clue what Jiggy is talking about with personalities nad Omni-Human, so I'll just assume he's a zombie now. Time to get the shotgun

Isn't it obvious? His stats have driven him to the point where he has become a megalomaniacal statsician bent on world domination.

Sciz

Cocopjojo said:

The AIZ remix was already released on True Blue: The Best of Sonic the Hedgehog, a recent compilation of Sonic vocal tracks. I wouldn't say the album lives up to its name very well, but you can track the AIZ mix down easily enough on Youtube.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Sciz said:
The AIZ remix was already released on True Blue: The Best of Sonic the Hedgehog, a recent compilation of Sonic vocal tracks. I wouldn't say the album lives up to its name very well, but you can track the AIZ mix down easily enough on Youtube.
wat

omg i found it.

Nevermind, not buying Brawl now.

I'm serious.

I'm just kidding.

Also, thanks for the info guys.

Jiggy

I'll probably have to do the Star Fox 64 run next. My Photobucket bandwidth is still shot thanks to the Brawl spoiler threads, and this stands in the way of my next original plan for statistics post gimmickry. >_>

It'll be a good way to move into a weekend, anyway.

With tonight's notice, it appears my nightly visits to he Dojo thread are done as well. Just deleted the bookmark out of firefox. Ugh its gonna be hard to come to this forum and not notice the constantly changing thread title.... Guess its more OT time for me!

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
I'll probably have to do the Star Fox 64 run next. My Photobucket bandwidth is still shot thanks to the Brawl spoiler threads, and this stands in the way of my next original plan for statistics post gimmickry. >_>

Yeah, everyone who used photobucket for avatars and stuff who are active on smash threads had their bandwidth raped. I needed to host my avatar on tinypic. My sig at SmashBoards is broken but I'm too lazy to fix it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Yay, Star Fox 64 tomorrow! Huzzah!

Anyway, I'm off for the night. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Edit: Oddly enough, my Photobucket bandwidth is fine. >_> And I've got a lot of spoiler pictures on there.

Firestorm

Robert-GCA said:
With tonight's notice, it appears my nightly visits to he Dojo thread are done as well. Just deleted the bookmark out of firefox. Ugh its gonna be hard to come to this forum and not notice the constantly changing thread title.... Guess its more OT time for me!

I think sp0rsk will just leave the title at one thing from now on.

Iam Canadian said:
Yay, Star Fox 64 tomorrow! Huzzah!

Anyway, I'm off for the night. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Edit: Oddly enough, my Photobucket bandwidth is fine. >_> And I've got a lot of spoiler pictures on there.

Hosting the famitsu scans on my account probably wasn't a good idea.

Jiggy

I just got murdered because my avatars were PNGs instead of GIFs, eating up 23-28kb a shot. D: Had to oust Rena and reduce the non-in-game Colette trio to ~11kb each, but by the time I noticed I'd been losing 3 GB a day it was already too late for me. :lol Especially since, after I changed them, now the people who had already cached the PNGs were just picking up the GIFs anew... Blah, what a mess.

But whatever. It's not like this'll happen more than once every 7-8 years or so. >_> Unless Nintendo actually grows intelligent and uses this excellent, ready-made engine to put out loads of single-player Smash spinoffs in collaboration with various third-parties, and then maybe we could build up at least half this level of hype every 18 months or so. MAKE IT HAPPEN, Ninty, although I know you never will. :(

And also make one of them star the Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk cast.

With "the end is near, my friends", I was expecting Sakurai to start singing a ballad as the Dojo credits slowly scrolled across the screen.

Jiggy

I can't figure out whether that's great coincidence or unparalleled genius.

Edit: Actually, that's a false dichotomy, because this is Sakurai dude. He has strokes of unparalleled genius by great coincidence all the time.

Jiggy

TSA said:
So basically the update shows the entire game is ready in English. So that cuts out localization as a reason for the month delay.
Yeah, a while back I'd already resigned myself to the thought that Nintendo probably just wants to be able to claim amazing Halo 3-like sales figures for the first month, and needed more printing time to do it. :/

Funny thing is, Sales-Age is my favorite part of GAF, and normally this kind of self-promotional trick (assuming that I'm really right on about what it is) wouldn't make me too unhappy--but Smash Bros. is my favorite part of gaming as a whole, so it actually does. :(

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, a while back I'd already resigned myself to the thought that Nintendo probably just wants to be able to claim amazing Halo 3-like sales figures for the first month, and needed more printing time to do it. :/

Funny thing is, Sales-Age is my favorite part of GAF, and normally this kind of self-promotional trick (assuming that I'm really right on about what it is) wouldn't make me too unhappy--but Smash Bros. is my favorite part of gaming as a whole, so it actually does. :(

Oh, I was hoping they wouldn't be asshats again with AAA title. They delayed a completed GCN TP a year to port it to Wii to ensure the Wii would sell to hardcore fans. On top of that, lied that both would be out at the same time when they realized every Zelda fan and their mom was gonna get the GCN version, ensuring hardcore fanatics (like me) would pick up a Wii. Then, they delay Brawl last year to make room for Galaxy sales. Now, they delayed it in America because...online testing still needed? Some feature in our version not in Japan's? Or as you said, to bulk up copies for high initial sales in an attempt to have a record-setting day? First two reasons I would never complain about nowadays, it's a good reason to keep development going. That last reason, as much as I want a bigger-than-Halo day for some Nintendo game (nay, any game other than Halo), I wouldn't want it at the cost of having the entire game spoiled (if I cared about that, so to step into the shoes of Brawl die-hards, I imagine this being like if all of the new Zelda was put online before it's release) like it has.

Meh, I'm not here to go nuts on this, but I don't think Nintendo should get away with delaying games anymore to fit their agenda of making themselves look a bit better in market value. Or as Peter Gibbons said "So that Bill Lumburgh's stock will go up a quarter of a point." That's a crappy way to treat the fanbase. Sure, I know Final Fantasy fans get to wait up to a year or more for their titles, but that's because those are intensive, story filled games with hundreds, if not thousands, of pages of dialogue, some spoken now - which requires a whole new set of audio production for new languages. Something like Brawl...from what I've seen, very little text other than the trophies.

/end rant

\on topic

Sakurai should host videos of time attacks of the Break the Targets from Japan, and the staff should play players who are ranked higher... oh wait, for those who have it and are playing online - is there a ranking system or something for your stats? What are the details?

NeonZ

They delayed a completed GCN TP a year to port it to Wii to ensure the Wii would sell to hardcore fans.

Huh... TSA, that's clearly wrong. Just look at the Hyrule market shots released around the delay announcement with the ones of the final game. They probably did delay GCN TP a year for the Wii version, but it wasn't the completed game yet.

TSA said:
I don't think Nintendo should get away with delaying games anymore to fit their agenda of making themselves look a bit better in market value.

Get away with? No video game company is an entity that has been enlisted to create games for the benefit of their fanbase. Companies exist to make a profit, get over it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jiggy37 said:
I just got murdered because my avatars were PNGs instead of GIFs, eating up 23-28kb a shot. D: Had to oust Rena and reduce the non-in-game Colette trio to ~11kb each, but by the time I noticed I'd been losing 3 GB a day it was already too late for me. :lol Especially since, after I changed them, now the people who had already cached the PNGs were just picking up the GIFs anew... Blah, what a mess.

The PNGs could actually likely be smaller if properly compressed. Do not just rely on saving an image in photoshop as a PNG. Use a separate PNG compressor afterwards. Same goes for GIF, actually to be honest.

CTLance

Stumpokapow said:
The PNGs could actually likely be smaller if properly compressed. Do not just rely on saving an image in photoshop as a PNG. Use a separate PNG compressor afterwards. Same goes for GIF, actually to be honest.
I'd recommend Irfanview, to be honest. Shitty programs like MS paint and even commercial software don't use the PNG compression feature at all, it seems.

Irfanviews PNGout plugin really squeezes them dry, though.

1) open pic in irfanview
2) press I, note number of unique colors
3) reduce color depth of pic to as close to the number of unique colors as possible
4) Save as PNG, compression=9, 4+ passes
5) be amazed at tiny png

That, or gimp. It's not quite as efficient loading up a full-featured image manipulation suite just for compressing pngs, though.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Bloody hell TheSilentAssassin. I hate to be a broken record on this, but be thankful you actually have a release date and it's so soon after the Japanese one. You'll be able to play it at the peak of its interest against a lot of feverish Japanese players. Stop throwing your toys out of the pram.

You'll be able to play it at the peak of its interest against a lot of feverish Japanese players.

Yeah, I'm tired of fucking Americans crying about their woeful delays. Live in Europe more.

And TP wasn't delayed a whole year just for Wii. As someone else mentioned, the difference between Castle Town then and now is night and day. By the way it was implemented I reckon they got six months into the polishing process and thought "well the Wii's out in six months let's shoehorn in some half-hearted, sluggish motion controls because otherwise we won't have any kind of 'real' game to launch with!"

Either way, it had a near-as-dammit worldwide launch. We all got it within weeks of each other. That's brilliant.

Jiggy37 said:

I'm down with that idea. Today, despite it being my busiest day, I will work a Star Fox 64 run in as my retro gaming joy.

As for today's update, it was awesome. Made me feel good inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom