• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Nintex]

TSA said:
Meh, beat me to my edit - I was going to say Wii may be an exception at the moment because of the high demand, but I meant with portables you have no region lock, and past consoles - like GCN especially. I know Play-Asia sells NTSC-U titles and ships them to Europe (just tried to buy TP Wii for UK and it was going to allow it, but I stopped at the process order step). NCSX may also do US imports to UK, too?
The problem is that I'm not from the UK, and ever since Nintendo became so popular more people are demanding dutch text in their games now. Since all the other publishers seem to release their games worldwide there is no reason to import games or consoles anymore. Nintendo is the exception and since they're already having trouble keeping up with the insane demand for both Wii games and systems most stores won't bother to do imports as well.

Jiggy

Scribble said:
Argh! It makes me SO MAD.
And well it should, considering we're just trying to improve gaming. :(

I still want even one person to put up a reasonably defensible justification for why even one system shouldn't be region-free. Of all the things I could criticize Wii hardware for, that's the strongest, easily. :/

Jiggy37 said:
Isn't the reason Europe usually gets screwed on release dates because there's some kind of law in place that games have to be released in several languages there (English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, etc.)? Honest question; I can't remember where I heard that and I was wondering if it was true. Personally, I'd be kind of ticked if I knew any one language there, but had to wait for my games because of all the others... >_>

You've pretty much nailed it, really. Whatever the reason, it's still bullshit. The Dojo has screens in Japanese, American English, English-English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. Presumably as with the US version, the game was pretty much being translated as they went along. It's just absolutely inexusable.

That said, y'know - fuck mainland Europe. Sorry guys, but fuck you. I'm in the UK, I speak English, and the English language version is hitting March. And that's when I should be getting it, not 6 months later just so I can have French, German and other languages I'll never use on the disc. Or worse! Case in point being much of the Final Fantasy series - they make us wait for a full European localisation, and then the UK discs don't even include the extra languages we were forced to wait for.

Absolute bastards. They can't even blame TV differences anymore as they're a thing of the past.

That said, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a US Wii for a reasonable price, new or preowned, I'm now interested, I suppose.

TSA said:
1)I saw the Black Knight's description.
Too bad they don't reveal he is General Zelgius in the description, but I guess that is good as that was a real shock for those who bothered to play both titles through.
However, I was kinda hoping to see him or Ashnard as a boss in SSE for Ike.

Revealing spoilers would be horrible. NOA already ruined that for most people via press release anyways.

[Nintex]

APZonerunner said:
That said, y'know - fuck mainland Europe. Sorry guys, but fuck you. I'm in the UK, I speak English, and the English language version is hitting March.
I agree with you, they should just do two regions for each game. NTSC systems with English text only for European countries like The Netherlands(Benelux), UK and a few others and german/french/whatever releases later down the line for those who refuse to learn english.

It would be fine if I could just import the game and use a freeloader. But that's not possible because of the firmware updates included with each game. August is unacceptable.

[Nintex] said:
The problem is that I'm not from the UK, and ever since Nintendo became so popular more people are demanding dutch text in their games now. Since all the other publishers seem to release their games worldwide there is no reason to import games or consoles anymore. Nintendo is the exception and since they're already having trouble keeping up with the insane demand for both Wii games and systems most stores won't bother to do imports as well.

Alright, then that sucks. I read a post down about the whole "must translate" into other languages issue. Our neighbors to the North have to put up with a mild version of that - translating games into French. It's why No More Heroes is delayed their till Febuary 7th - they have to wait for the French version to be ready to go, and so that is lame. I wish that Nintendo would translate the game into major languages first and be able to accommodate worldwide launches better. In Europe, that makes more sense since there's a higher language count required for a title's release. Maybe Nintendo could work to more centralize the localization process -I mean, they send NOA staff to Europe to assist in localization sometimes, and I think NOA is going to be handling more localziation in the future (their job postings continue to ask for more foreign language experts), so maybe they are trying.

APZonerunner said:
You've pretty much nailed it, really. Whatever the reason, it's still bullshit. The Dojo has screens in Japanese, American English, English-English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. Presumably as with the US version, the game was pretty much being translated as they went along. It's just absolutely inexusable.

As my friend at another gaming company pointed out, if the game is delayed for localization, then why did they have the time to translate 100's of updates on that site into nearly every major language? It's sort of a valid point.

APZonerunner said:
That said, y'know - fuck mainland Europe. Sorry guys, but fuck you. I'm in the UK, I speak English, and the English language version is hitting March. And that's when I should be getting it, not 6 months later just so I can have French, German and other languages I'll never use on the disc. Or worse! Case in point being much of the Final Fantasy series - they make us wait for a full European localisation, and then the UK discs don't even include the extra languages we were forced to wait for.

Final Fantasy is in a whole other league. US waits a year for our English version. Then you guys wait like another year? But FF is a much bigger production than any Nintendo title, save maybe a Zelda title, so that gives them more justification, but I mean, could they make the Japanese wait and give the game to everyone at the same time? I guess then going into world wide releases, the production of discs and packaging may be an issue? Is is that big of a deal? But I mean, I don't see why English speaking European nations do not get the game the same time we do here in North America. Or French speaking nations. Or Spanish (ok, Spanish here is a bit different than there, so that one might not be as valid).

APZonerunner said:
Absolute bastards. They can't even blame TV differences anymore as they're a thing of the past.

Except with Nintendo!

APZonerunner said:
That said, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a US Wii for a reasonable price, new or preowned, I'm now interested, I suppose.

NTSC-U Wii? Heh, sorry. As pointed out, Wii is still in high demand. Any other console it might be reasonable to ask. Well I mean, maybe try eBay. What's $350 dollars in GBP right now? Might be worth the look for an international shipper.

Jiggy

TSA said:
Alright, then that sucks. I read a post down about the whole "must translate" into other languages issue. Our neighbors to the North have to put up with a mild version of that - translating games into French.
To be honest, I wonder if that affects even the US. :/ If it were any other company, I wouldn't, but, well... This is Nintendo, dude.

[Nintex]

TSA said:
Alright, then that sucks. I read a post down about the whole "must translate" into other languages issue. Our neighbors to the North have to put up with a mild version of that - translating games into French. It's why No More Heroes is delayed their till Febuary 7th - they have to wait for the French version to be ready to go, and so that is lame. I wish that Nintendo would translate the game into major languages first and be able to accommodate worldwide launches better. In Europe, that makes more sense since there's a higher language count required for a title's release. Maybe Nintendo could work to more centralize the localization process -I mean, they send NOA staff to Europe to assist in localization sometimes, and I think NOA is going to be handling more localziation in the future (their job postings continue to ask for more foreign language experts), so maybe they are trying.
I sure hope so, I really don't feel like paying $499.99 ~€340 for a Nintendo Wii when I have one already.

Jiggy37 said:
To be honest, I wonder if that affects even the US. :/ If it were any other company, I wouldn't, but, well... This is Nintendo, dude.

NOA apparently handles all localization for North America, and determines when titles come out in each North American region, and how many copies go to each region. So if you live in Mexico or Canada, and your game comes out later than the US, blame NOA.

Firestorm

TSA said:

Crap so that law is in effect? I was sort of wondering when Advance Wars had a "Includes French Content" thing on the back. Do US versions have this? AW came out the day after US here iirc. I just checked and setting my DS to French makes the game boot up in French as well.

Firestorm said:
Crap so that law is in effect? I was sort of wondering when Advance Wars had a "Includes French Content" thing on the back. Do US versions have this? AW came out the day after US here iirc. I just checked and setting my DS to French makes the game boot up in French as well.

I've heard stories about having to have "French" on the box and how marketing had to go back to production to get a "french thing" put on the packaging, which delayed the game a week or more JUST for the packaging.

How stupid is that. I don't think we've ever had an issue here in the US with a game being delayed HERE as a result of it needing to be in another language for us. Do the manuals come in English and French now here? I haven't looked at a game manual for awhile now.

But again, Dojo has updates in all those languages...and localization has gotten better and faster. But I mean, the video in the last update is all in English. I think localization of the other languages is still underway for in-game content. I would still rather have one version released, with all language options, so that it accommodates more people. But man, that box would be confusing as heck, as well as a huge ass manual.

TSA said:
NTSC-U Wii? Heh, sorry. As pointed out, Wii is still in high demand. Any other console it might be reasonable to ask. Well I mean, maybe try eBay. What's $350 dollars in GBP right now? Might be worth the look for an international shipper.

Looking on ebay, there's a few Wiis going for around £150 - less than UK retail price - NSTC units (both US and JP) that were obviously imported due to the lack of demand and are now being sold off in favour of local units... But then, I'm still not sure if I want to spend almost £200 just to play Smash Bros, even if when it comes out here I can sell the Wii again and recoup some of the cash spent. I'm trying to justify it, but I really don't think I can and god damn it I wish NOE would just announce a date. If they said Q4/Christmas, I'd know it was safe to import, but if I spent that amount then they turned around and said April or May I think I'd kill myself.

That said, all the major UK retailers are listing placeholder dates of late april/early may. But NOE's official Q1/Q2 release lists say nothing about Smash; but they've been known to 'stealth release' games before, or just suddenly slip them into the lists a month before it comes out.

Firestorm

TSA said:
I've heard stories about having to have "French" on the box and how marketing had to go back to production to get a "french thing" put on the packaging, which delayed the game a week or more JUST for the packaging.

How stupid is that. I don't think we've ever had an issue here in the US with a game being delayed HERE as a result of it needing to be in another language for us. Do the manuals come in English and French now here? I haven't looked at a game manual for awhile now.

Yeah French packaging has been a requirement for a long, long time and delays of a few days are common. Phoenix Wright games I usually don't get until a few days after American release. Advance Wars was only one day.

It's just that there was discussion that they might make it a requirement for all games to have content in both English and French if French is available in another region. I guess since Advance Wars is being released in Europe so fast, they had the French and decided to put it in?

First party Nintendo Wii games have English, French, and Spanish on the cover/instruction. Which from a graphic design point of view is cluttered, distracting, and plain ugly.

It's a shame Nintendo can't make a Mario Kart/Tennis/Golf game that has as many packed-in Nintendo references as Smash Bros. After this, every other first party game on Wii and DS will feel somewhat... I dunno... not diminished... kinda humble, almost as if they knew they couldn't top it. I hope Nintendo can put this kind of effort into every game. This is why it all goes wrong when a third party takes a licence though, it kinda loses what made the series in the first place sometimes... except F-Zero. They should give that to Sega in exchange for making Sakurai the new director of Sonic games.

[Nintex]

APZonerunner said:
Looking on ebay, there's a few Wiis going for around £150 - less than UK retail price - NSTC units (both US and JP) that were obviously imported due to the lack of demand and are now being sold off in favour of local units... But then, I'm still not sure if I want to spend almost £200 just to play Smash Bros, even if when it comes out here I can sell the Wii again and recoup some of the cash spent. I'm trying to justify it, but I really don't think I can and god damn it I wish NOE would just announce a date. If they said Q4/Christmas, I'd know it was safe to import, but if I spent that amount then they turned around and said April or May I think I'd kill myself.

That said, all the major UK retailers are listing placeholder dates of late april/early may. But NOE's official Q1/Q2 release lists say nothing about Smash; but they've been known to 'stealth release' games before, or just suddenly slip them into the lists a month before it comes out.
But they didn't include it on their latest financial report. Mario Kart says Q2 2008, Smash Bros. simply 2008. Even Sakurai said that we needed to wait "even longer" that doesn't sound like a month or a couple of days. We should ask him to help us poor Europeans, "I won't do another Smash Bros. if this is delayed in Europe!"

The problem is that we never had a Smash Bros date. Always a vague 2008. Even when the US release and Japanese release were announced.

[Nintex] said:
But they didn't include it on their latest financial report. Mario Kart says Q2 2008, Smash Bros. simply 2008. Even Sakurai said that we needed to wait "even longer" that doesn't sound like a month or a couple of days. We should ask him to help us poor Europeans, "I won't do another Smash Bros. if this is delayed in Europe!"

The problem is that we never had a Smash Bros date. Always a vague 2008. Even when the US release and Japanese release were announced.

I'm really, really surprised that some UK magazines/publications/websites/whatever haven't taken Nintendo to task about it all, really, especially with the multiple languages on the dojo. Eurogamer, EDGE, where are you?

Really, though, It's just annoying because I've been spoiled I think by 360's superb localization. Yes, many games are born and bred in the US on that system, but even stuff like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and N3 have all come out with a maximum 2 week lag from the US release. I don't really mind Japan getting it early, but as soon as there's an English language release out there I get restless. I was very much used to Nintendo's bullshit back when I abandoned the sinking ship that was the Gamecube, with games that were developed in Britain (Rare stuff) coming out here last, but coming back to it now is somewhat of a culture shock per se compared to how life has been with the region free DS, PSP and PS3 and the quick-to-localize 360.

Jiggy

TSA said:
Do the manuals come in English and French now here? I haven't looked at a game manual for awhile now.
They did for Super Paper Mario and Pokemon Battle Revolution. And probably Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 as well; I know they had French on the back of the box (which looks exceptionally ugly, incidentally), but I didn't check the instructions.
...Blah. I'm all for advancing worldwide communication in other matters, but this is the realm of entertainment--it's 100% discretionary spending, and I'm less inclined to care when, instead of only some people having to wait longer, everybody has to wait longer. :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Android18a said:
It's a shame Nintendo can't make a Mario Kart/Tennis/Golf game that has as many packed-in Nintendo references as Smash Bros. After this, every other first party game on Wii and DS will feel somewhat... I dunno... not diminished... kinda humble, almost as if they knew they couldn't top it. I hope Nintendo can put this kind of effort into every game. This is why it all goes wrong when a third party takes a licence though, it kinda loses what made the series in the first place sometimes... except F-Zero. They should give that to Sega in exchange for making Sakurai the new director of Sonic games.

They dont control Sakurai

Swisslink

[Nintex] said:
I agree with you, they should just do two regions for each game. NTSC systems with English text only for European countries like The Netherlands(Benelux), UK and a few others and german/french/whatever releases later down the line for those who refuse to learn english.

It would be fine if I could just import the game and use a freeloader. But that's not possible because of the firmware updates included with each game. August is unacceptable.

I'm from switzerland, but if I could play the UK-Version on a german Wii, this would be no problem :lol

But I'm sure the delay isn't because of the languages, but because of some kind of strategy. I think they want to push for example Mario Kart in Europe, 'cause it's really popular here, or they released Mario strikers here very early, 'cause football is so popular here.
With this seperation they can avoid online-lags, cause not so many people are online at once ;)

Fenix

I'm curious as to why more and more games are seemingly being delayed up here due to box/manual translations where we had no problem last gen getting games right on time with an english/french slip and instruction manual over the standard US box.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
*considers this*
International telephone call. 100% chance of extra expense. 0.00001% chance of changing minds. Will I take it? D:

Never stopped Starmen.Net.

(No, I never participated in PK Call'n)

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:

There were even more of them than there are of all my bots, so they had a greater chance at achieving results. :(

Fireblend

Banned
Iam Canadian said:

I actually considered it, but I don't feel like making a long-distance call :(
Maybe one of those postcards tho. Mail should be cheaper >_>

Jiggy

Predicting Pichu and Mewtwo, where one is a Poke Ball and one is a playable character.

No, just kidding. Actually, I predict the Data page, Luigi, and a remix of the Shop Channel music.

I have a gameplay mode question and since I'm avoiding further spoilers, I'm asking in this thread and staying away from the other threads. In "Spectator" mode, is there a keypad in for people to type while they watch? I saw a video with scrolling texts all over it (it was like reading XBL inter culturally). Is that also restricted only to spectator mode? (I hope it is)

Jiggy

VeritasVierge said:
I have a gameplay mode question and since I'm avoiding further spoilers, I'm asking in this thread and staying away from the other threads. In "Spectator" mode, is there a keypad in for people to type while they watch? I saw a video with scrolling texts all over it (it was like reading XBL inter culturally). Is that also restricted only to spectator mode? (I hope it is)
If you saw it on NicoVideo, that's just a feature of their website...

Jiggy

VeritasVierge said:
Ah, thanks. I would hate for that to be what Spectator mode is like.
Yeah, it'd be pretty dreadful. As it is, I always turn that thing off in Nico... You can click the "Comments" button for that.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, it'd be pretty dreadful. As it is, I always turn that thing off in Nico... You can click the "Comments" button for that.
Indeed. Sometimes it gets so ridiculous all you see are the comments
(and lots of wwwwwwwwwwwwwww's)

Today begins a new chapter of the Dojo updates!
Official Spoilers!

Jiggy

grandjedi6 said:
Prediction: Whoever the first unlockable character is
In Melee, there were many characters you could potentially unlock first. >_> Jigglypuff from Classic, Falco from 100-Man Melee, Ganondorf from Event 29, Marth from I-don't-remember-what... I wonder if this'll be the case for Brawl.

Edit: Even if just talking about who comes first in Subspace Emissary, there are still branching paths after all.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
In Melee, there were many characters you could potentially unlock first. >_> Jigglypuff from Classic, Falco from 100-Man Melee, Ganondorf from Event 29, Marth from I-don't-remember-what... I wonder if this'll be the case for Brawl.

Edit: Even if just talking about who comes first in Subspace Emissary, there are still branching paths after all.

Marth was playing with every character once. One of the few characters I remember the requirement for since we unlock him every time someone forgets a memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom