• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy37 said:
In Melee, there were many characters you could potentially unlock first. >_> Jigglypuff from Classic, Falco from 100-Man Melee, Ganondorf from Event 29, Marth from I-don't-remember-what... I wonder if this'll be the case for Brawl.

Edit: Even if just talking about who comes first in Subspace Emissary, there are still branching paths after all.

Marth is use all the starting characters in any mode. Versus being obviously the easiest.

hidden01.jpg

Despite being a hidden character, Ness pops up briefly in the opening movie.

As this is Ness’s third appearance in a Smash game, I imagine he’s quite the veteran fighter at this point. Maybe he’s even used to this by now.

hidden01_080201a-l.jpg
hidden01_080201b-l.jpg
hidden01_080201c-l.jpg
hidden01_080201d-l.jpg

Ness's Special Moves
Standard Special Move PK Flash
Side Special Move PK Fire
Up Special Move PK Thunder
Down Special Move PSI Magnet
Final Smash PK Starstorm

How to Unlock

• Play five matches in Brawl
• Reflect 10 projectiles
• Get Ness to join your party in The Subspace Emissary

• With the exception of the last of the three methods listed above, you’ll need to face Ness in a brawl and beat him after satisfying the above conditions to unlock him.

Tips

Let’s take PK Thunder, a move which both Lucas and Ness can perform. Sure, the move may look similar, but there are quite a few differences between these two versions of the move.

hidden01_080201e-l.jpg

Lucas’s PK Thunder passes through enemies. Ness’s does not.

hidden01_080201f-l.jpg

Lucas’s PK Thunder is easier to control and can turn in a tighter circle. Ness’s, by contrast, needs more space to turn around but moves at a greater speed.

hidden01_080201g-l.jpg

When propelled into an opponent by his own PK Thunder, Lucas scores multiple small hits. Ness smashes the opponent with a single hit that sends the opponent flying!

Of course, the moves that look different also work differently as well.

hidden01_080201h-l.jpg

Ness’s side smash is a bat that requires a lot of start up time to get swinging but really hits hard.

hidden01_080201i-l.jpg

Only Ness uses a yo-yo for his up and down smashes.

hidden01_080201j-l.jpg

His PK Fire bursts into a column of flame that can score multiple hits!

hidden01_080201k-l.jpg

Ness’s PK Starstorm causes blue stars to rain down and out in a wide fan-shaped pattern.

You’ll need to log lots of time with him and really know his moves to really put him to good use, I bet.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
And there he is.

How to Unlock
Ness
• Play five matches in Brawl
• Reflect 10 projectiles
• Get Ness to join your party in The Subspace Emissary
• With the exception of the last of the three methods listed above, you’ll need to face Ness in a brawl and beat him after satisfying the above conditions to unlock him.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
I just avoid anything related to PS3 after I took ~3 weeks for saying that I was happy PS3 didn't--er, wait, no, never mind. >_>

Wow, you actually got banned for something, Jiggy?

Anyway, LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT HOW AWESOME NESS IS NOW.

Today is a day of great joy. :D :D :D

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Both the Japanese background and the japanese boxart are superior to their American counterparts!

Iam Canadian

sp0rsk, would I be in trouble if I made a Ness avatar?

Seriously, that ultra-awesome shot of Ness posing with his bat against the sunset is so, so tempting...

Dreavus

Wow, a sexy site redesign.

Sakurai is taking this spoiler thing pretty seriously. Despite warning us in the announcement he goes so far as to ask us before viewing. How considerate!

zaxor0

So Ness isn't really a clone then? It just seems like he is similar. Like he is less of a clone than Fox and Falco from Melee. Or would any of you say he is just as much of a clone?

Jiggy

Oh snap. I just realized I've been forgetting to update the character screenshots count in Excel. D: Gotta go back for a few updates...

Innotech

Banned
Ness was always awesome. Even when I hadnt played Earthbound and didnt know who the fuck he was. I played as him the first time, and AWESOME just assaulted my face.

JoeFu

Banned
zaxor0 said:
So Ness isn't really a clone then? It just seems like he is similar. Like he is less of a clone than Fox and Falco from Melee. Or would any of you say he is just as much of a clone?

Why would Ness be considered the clone? He's an original...

Iam Canadian

zaxor0 said:

I think that the Mario-Luigi comparison is apt. They share a few basic qualities, but they still share many differences.

It's so nice to see that my fervent, never-ending BELIEVE came through. :D :D :D

Seriously, I've known about Ness for a while, but it's so nice to finally see it on the Dojo.

M3wThr33

Banned
Keru_Shiri said:
Unlock after 5 brawls or deflecting 10 projectiles? Wow, I wonder how many of the characters will be this easy to unlock.
Well, Melee had the "Unlock after X matches" on all the characters.

Iam Canadian

I'm actually a little disappointed that the method to unlock Ness isn't Lucas-related. It would just be so appropriate.

Still, NESS. :D :D :D

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Iam Canadian said:
It's so nice to see that my fervent, never-ending BELIEVE came through. :D :D :D

It's so funny, I remember thinking your never-ending faith was futile and feeling bad for you because there was barely any chance that Ness would return... but it all worked out in the end! Hooray!

scottnak

Love the fact that he compares the two and their subtle differences.
Definitely look forward to see those kinda comparisons for the chars in the futuuuure!

masterkajo

Everyone seen the difference in the new website between US, JAP and EU?
It seems the big picture represents the cover of the boxart which would mean we in Europe will get the same light blue cover instead of the dark blue US one. (If we should get it that is... with NoE you never know)

Sciz

Hey, Ness. Ami will be happy.

I like the in-depth update style. Hopefully this is a sign of how the next two months will be.

Iam Canadian

I wonder if Ness is stopped when he hits an enemy with his PK Thunder dash this time around. The move seems to have more impact behind it this time around.

Innotech

Banned
I wonder if he will dfo a triple feature comparing Fox/
Falco/Wolf
and then make a joke about Landmasters.
Dont let me down Sakurai.

zaxor0

Seeing how clones were probably one of the most things disliked I think that what most would expect to be complete clones will turn out the way the ness-lucas differences did, hopefully no one else turns out to be more clone-esque.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Iam Canadian said:
I'm actually a little disappointed that the method to unlock Ness isn't Lucas-related. It would just be so appropriate.

Still, NESS. :D :D :D

It is if you just play SSE.

I'm considering just playing a 2 stock Fox versus Samus match with a buddy and reflecting 10 shots to see if I can unlock him in one go.

Cynar

So, judging from the pic's it's ok to talk about the character revealed today even tho their was a spoiler warning? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom