• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim... coming to PS4 and Xbox One? (Bethesda: Nope)

Vitten

A stable frame rate ? upgraded graphics and draw distance ? No more glitches and freezes ? No more minute long load screens each time entering a house or a new area ?

If yes on all these then I'll bite !

Atlas157

I had around 52-55 fps most of the time.
Skyrim-high.png

But I wouldnt mind if this was locked 30fps with mega textures and better drawdistance etc.

Then what's the problem with my 570? Is it dying?

jet1911

I would imagine so, yes. Especially if you're asking for another massive, open-world RPG in the Fallout/Elder Scrolls vein. There's a shit ton of content to create. And a shit ton of issues to work out with 'go anywhere, do anything' mantra of these games.

I'd agree with you but they've been making open world RPG for almost two decades, I'm sure they know how to manage these kind of projects. I'm not saying that creating these games is simple, I would just be disapointed if their first next-gen game is a port of Skyrim... I want a new Elder Scroll!

tipoo

Banned
Who were the devs that ported Oblivion to PS3? They did a decent job with that so I kind of hope its them and not Bethesda....

Would be nice if we could get someone on twitter to confirm, or deny this...but they wont.

No reason to think that would carry over, the PS3 was a completely different beast to port for.

Why would it need to load from the harddrive when you have 8 GB DDR ?

The first load, coming from a powered down state.

Well Bethesda kind of owe us gamers a proper version of Skyrim!

Would happily pay £50 for the definitive edition if it was 1080P (standard for PS4) and at least 30 FPS, but 60 shouldn't be a problem for Sony's beast of a machine!

SJRB

Gold Member
Doesn't Bethesda have like new games to announce/show? Seriously, Skyrim is over 2 years old and is on sale over at Steam almost every month, everyone in the world has played it by now.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd agree with you but they've been making open world RPG for almost two decades, I'm sure they know how to manage these kind of projects. I'm not saying that creating these games is simple, I would just be disapointed if their first next-gen game is a port of Skyrim... I want a new Elder Scroll!
Shit, I want a new Elder Scrolls/Fallout more than anyone!

*If* this rumor is true, I imagine its probably a pretty barebones port and something to just take advantage of the early console 'lack of games'. I doubt they have some massive team working on this that's drawing away valuable resources from Fallout 4.

Why would it need to load from the harddrive when you have 8 GB DDR ?
I'm assuming you're just joking, but on the internet, I can never be sure.

Atlas157

What CPU do you have? Do you have everything cranked up to max?

Intel Core i7 860 and no, I have everything on High with 4x AA, and FXAA turned off.

Even if I put everything on low with AA off, I still have the same framerate of 30 to 40. I have the latest Nvidia drivers too.

Nope, not triple dipping.

PS3 Skyrim at launch was terrible, I only bought it because it was on sale for like 20 quid at GAME (uk) for the PS3. However, when I got the Legendary Edition on Steam and installed HD textures, ENBs and other mods (character mods, village/town mods, dragon mods etc), the game got considerably better. But that didn't really fix the poor melee combat, boring story, repetitive side quests and the fact that your character had zero influence on the world even though you were the leader of various guilds and the friggin dragonborn.

Mediocre game on consoles. Fun yet flawed game on PC with mods. I have a feeling Bethesda will get it right in Elder Scrolls 6. If they improve their world design (no more copy paste mountains and forests and villages), use that awesome lore to write a good story, decrease the amount of fetch/kill quests by a lot, better melee combat (I thought magic looked very pretty even on vanilla skyrim) and have NPCs interact with you differently if you are, say, the leader of the mage guild, then we've got ourselves an amazing game.

Seanspeed

Banned
Intel Core i7 860 and no, I have everything on High with 4x AA, and FXAA turned off.

Even if I put everything on low with AA off, I still have the same framerate of 30 to 40. I have the latest Nvidia drivers too.
If turning AA down has no effect, it sounds like you're hitting a CPU bottleneck. Being a slightly older CPU too would support that notion, although I'd expect some sort of improvement with *everything* turned to low.

It does. Its not unheard of for a company to compensate its customers with a better product.
Not retroactively like that, on completely different platforms.

Someone tweet Pete Hines about this shit. He should be able to dispel a fake if it indeed is a hoax. I would but don't have Twitter anymore.

Edit: Damn saw post/tweet above me. How about the email? Has he responded to that?

2 dreams crushed in a single day.

:(

Crushed in a span of two minutes for me. I know its not their fault, but I just want to be so mad at Bethesda for some reason.

Its been over two years since Skyrim has been released and not even an announcement yet? Other developers (like DICE) have released released new games and moved onto 3rd games in that same timeline.

and most likely no mod support, for some reason even last gen the heralded champion of all things, Unreal Tournament 3 was the only game that supported mods, mouses and keyboards! :D

tipoo

Banned
New consoles still have 5400rpm drives though, don't they?

Their optical disk drive speeds are much higher than last gen, even the 5400RPM hard drives are probably faster than the old ones even at the same RPM (a desktop 5400rpm from 7 years ago to one from now is still quite a difference, even if no 5400 is particularly zippy). Plus, with 8GB RAM and a game using assets built for less, they can preload more into the memory hopefully, so aside from the first loading screen maybe there will be fewer.

Number45

It really doesn't take a beefy PC to run it decently. It also has native support for the 360 controller, so you can just run an HDMI cable to your TV/receiver and call it a day.
My PC is as old as the hills, and I don't play games on my MBA (assuming it's even available for OSX). But really, I struggle to find the time to play games on the platforms I do own, so another platform isn't going to help that.

It's OK, I'll live. Maybe they won't fuck up the next Elder Scrolls game they release on a PS platform (Online doesn't count).

Top Bottom