• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

RocketDarkness said:
For my first ever prediction, I'm going to go with...a new stage. Somewhat blasé, perhaps, but realistic.

Now when you say new stage do you mean one that wasn't in Melee or new as it hasn't been announced yet?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
HK-47 said:
Hey Jiggy I just got the second melody in Earthbound. Should I keep the Franklin Badge on Paula and is 26 Ness/18 Paula a good level to be at?

If you defeated Mondo Mole
and didn't wuss out with Paralysis
, you should be able to handle anything that the game throws at you for a long time.

Paula's better off with the Franklin Badge generally, but you won't face any lightning-using enemies for a while now. Still, there's a certain point where you do not want Paula to be carrying the Franklin Badge. I don't want to spoil it, but if you want me to tell you when, just ask.

Edit: Sticking with my tripping prediction.

{Mike}

Banned
Papercuts said:
technique10_080211i-l.jpg

What stage is this?

the food looks photoshopped:lol :lol

RocketDarkness said:
For my first ever prediction, I'm going to go with...a new stage. Somewhat blasé, perhaps, but realistic.
Hahah, 1 for 1! Awesome stage. I always missed the POW block from SSB64's Mushroom Kingdom, so I'm glad to see it return.

Also: "Flop" for thread title!

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
Hm? It updated at midnight. That's the usual time around here.

2 minutes before midnight!
Or my cold medication is making me see things? Freakin' DayQuil :( Once I almost stepped in traffic and another time I tried to go up the down escalator.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
2 minutes before midnight!
Or my cold medication is making me see things? Freakin' DayQuil :( Once I almost stepped in traffic and another time I tried to go up the down escalator.

Maybe my clock's off, but it wasn't up when I checked at 11:59, but it was definitely there at midnight.

Still, it's a bit of a moot point regardless. >_>

Anyway, I like how you can use the enemies as weapons. Hopefully, the stage will also include the Podoboos and the Fighter Flies. No Mario Bros. recreation would be complete without them!

Jiggy37 said:
Yes, this seems like a good target for the Elizabethan style.

I look forward to it. :D

Iam Canadian

Papercuts said:
Does the POW block flip over the enemies, or does it effect the other characters as well?

Good question.

I certainly hope so.

At any rate, while I don't expect this stage to become parts of any tourneys anytime soon, I still really like this one. Then, I always was a fan of the quirky and chaotic stages. Except for Flat Zone. Flat Zone can die in a fire.

Jiggy

-This day the land of Mario attaineth its fifteenth honor, which neighboring Kirby now may envy.

-Twenty and six battlegrounds before us are laid down. Also beholdest with thine own eyes, that Tuesday and Friday both didst construct seven of these battlegrounds.

-Donkey Kong hath emerged triumphant from a battle with Ike, and now throweth down the gauntlet to friend Diddy, and furthermore Pikachu. Saith DK: "Believed that thou couldst stay forever fast 'gainst the siege of my vigor, which surpasseth that of ten knights, and mine advanced age, which naught but Mario canst likewise claim? A lark. Pray reconsider... Nay, rather do come, ye squire and foe. For cause that we each hath seen sixty and one triumphs, anon verily we must duel--not with blows but politick--for fame in the kingdom, for the jealousy of gentlemen and the love of ladies."

Jiggy

For the record, for some reason or other I wasn't feeling that as much as I thought I would. >_> Except for the DK thing, of course. I'm now picturing Donkey Kong in a suit of armor speaking in a horrible English accent.

kamikaze

mario bros. stage is awesome! had a brawl on there today where the last knockout involved bouncing back and forth across the bottom of the stage between a shellcreeper and sidestepper (turtle/crab). he must've gone back and forth a half dozen times (his damage was over 100% to begin with) before flying off the side. :lol

i wish i'd figured out how to use replays...that was one of the funniest moments i've seen playing brawl so far.

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
For the record, for some reason or other I wasn't feeling that as much as I thought I would. >_> Except for the DK thing, of course. I'm now picturing Donkey Kong in a suit of armor speaking in a horrible English accent.
I just got a mental image that I'm never, ever going to lose.

swerve

kamikaze said:
i wish i'd figured out how to use replays...that was one of the funniest moments i've seen playing brawl so far.

Once the battle ends, and you're on the results screen, hit Zr (if you're on classic controller... probably Z if you're on GC) and it gives you the option of saving to SD or Wii. Takes a split second to save.

Then you replay them from the third option (from memory, so maybe wrong) in the vault (or 'collections' in the Japanese release).

Never miss a classic moment again!

Interestingly, on one of the secret unlockable stages (I won't say which because I don't understand spoiler tags), all characters are projected onto 2D flat surfaces, so it's really interesting to replay/pause from different angles and see how they don't rotate like they do on other maps.

scottnak

Nicely done jiggs. But that gave me flashbacks to some horrid memories back in highschool. *shiver*

So... who has some tournament ideas floating around?

Personally I was thinking of a super awesome clash of the Items v No-items crowd.
Every 'phase' of the tourney requires a set of two matches.
One with ALL items set to medium, all levels fair game.
Two with NO items allowed, levels restricted to 'calmed' levels.
Top two (or perhaps a huge round-robiny overall rank fun) in each branch move on based on aggregate +/- count (tie breakers cut via aggregate KO count, if still tied then 2 minute LOW item [Restricted list] SAFE levels tiebreaker)

That way those who say true skill is shown from a neutral environment can get their huffs..
those who say who are truly skilled should be able to take any punches that come at them. And its all nice (I know it's not going to happen, nor going to work out that way, but that's my tourney statement)

What do you guys think...

kamikaze

swerve said:
Once the battle ends, and you're on the results screen, hit Zr (if you're on classic controller... probably Z if you're on GC) and it gives you the option of saving to SD or Wii. Takes a split second to save.

Then you replay them from the third option (from memory, so maybe wrong) in the vault (or 'collections' in the Japanese release).

Never miss a classic moment again!

Interestingly, on one of the secret unlockable stages (I won't say which because I don't understand spoiler tags), all characters are projected onto 2D flat surfaces, so it's really interesting to replay/pause from different angles and see how they don't rotate like they do on other maps.

ah, that's not hard at all. thanks!

Firestorm

scottnak said:
Nicely done jiggs. But that gave me flashbacks to some horrid memories back in highschool. *shiver*

So... who has some tournament ideas floating around?

Personally I was thinking of a super awesome clash of the Items v No-items crowd.
Every 'phase' of the tourney requires a set of two matches.
One with ALL items set to medium, all levels fair game.
Two with NO items allowed, levels restricted to 'calmed' levels.
Top two (or perhaps a huge round-robiny overall rank fun) in each branch move on based on aggregate +/- count (tie breakers cut via aggregate KO count, if still tied then 2 minute LOW item [Restricted list] SAFE levels tiebreaker)

That way those who say true skill is shown from a neutral environment can get their huffs..
those who say who are truly skilled should be able to take any punches that come at them. And its all nice (I know it's not going to happen, nor going to work out that way, but that's my tourney statement)

What do you guys think...

I think there are many KevinCow jokes to be made. Although I do propose that we only have one tournament going on at any given time. And I really hope we get a date for Europe since I'd love to do my serious business Singles tournament with all three regions.

scottnak

Firestorm said:
I think there are many KevinCow jokes to be made. Although I do propose that we only have one tournament going on at any given time. And I really hope we get a date for Europe since I'd love to do my serious business Singles tournament with all three regions.
Haha. True that. I agree with the sentiment. Hopefully encouraging attendance on both sides of the battling spectrum...

Anyway, still... I don't know if the KevinCow was a criticism of what I layed out or the blurb I added on the end, haha...

TJ Spyke

I like the idea of a tournament Items on and off. Either that or have a vote and let people decide whether to have Items ON or off.

scottnak said:
Haha. True that. I agree with the sentiment. Hopefully encouraging attendance on both sides of the battling spectrum...

Anyway, still... I don't know if the KevinCow was a criticism of what I layed out or the blurb I added on the end, haha...

I think it was more an attampt to say that some people are so polarized that they would not accept any concessions in the items/no items battle. But, Kevin says he's done some soul searching, so maybe we can make that work. I like the idea actually. Would the event be stock? and if so how many lives?

Jiggy, that was awesome. I actually had DK in a crisp suit, bowler hat, perfectly groomed mustach, and a cane, with those quirky white gloves on that could be used to start a duel. But your vision is also awesome.

Now, level? Awesome. I can't stess enough that this looks like it maybe be one of my favorite levels in the game. And perhaps due to the fact I fight better with items than without. And am decent with tossed projectiles.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I've actually been wondering about how on Earth we're going to do a GAF tournament.

Obviously, we need to do a 4vAll Coin Battle. Only true way to decide.

Wow that may be one of the greatest stages ever! Nice job Sakurai and crew. I can't wait to play it! :D

Jiggy37 said:
-This day the land of Mario attaineth its fifteenth honor, which neighboring Kirby now may envy.

-Twenty and six battlegrounds before us are laid down. Also beholdest with thine own eyes, that Tuesday and Friday both didst construct seven of these battlegrounds.

-Donkey Kong hath emerged triumphant from a battle with Ike, and now throweth down the gauntlet to friend Diddy, and furthermore Pikachu. Saith DK: "Believed that thou couldst stay forever fast 'gainst the siege of my vigor, which surpasseth that of ten knights, and mine advanced age, which naught but Mario canst likewise claim? A lark. Pray reconsider... Nay, rather do come, ye squire and foe. For cause that we each hath seen sixty and one triumphs, anon verily we must duel--not with blows but politick--for fame in the kingdom, for the jealousy of gentlemen and the love of ladies."
Amazing! :D

scottnak

crowphoenix said:
I think it was more an attampt to say that some people are so polarized that they would not accept any concessions in the items/no items battle. But, Kevin says he's done some soul searching, so maybe we can make that work. I like the idea actually. Would the event be stock? and if so how many lives?
Ahh. Ok. That makes sense.

Cool. Actually, I'm not sure what kind of set up would be best. Personally I'm a timed match fan, but I also enjoy 3-5 stock play pretty well. What is the general opinion on timed v stock matches?

Maybe as each round progresses the limit/stock grows? I don't know. Still in the early stages of thinkings...

Our GAF tourney should be a 3 stock match with a three minute time limit, so we can save the matches, and find a way to distribute them to other GAF smashers.

I'm a no-item guy, but I'll play any items, any stages, to prove a point. :D

KevinCow

Banned
I'd say the best way to do a tournament would be to have everyone vote on what they want in it. Go through the stages and say yes, no, or I don't care to every one, yes, no, or I don't care to items, and yes, no, or I don't care to Smash Balls, separate from items because I think it's a different issue. Then have everyone turn off the stages that got more nos than yeses and select random stages for a best two out of three thing.

Jiggy

As much as I like the idea of being able to save replays of the matches, I'm still totally opposed to time. That would just lend itself to a lot of indefinite stalling from the likes of Sonic and Fox as soon as they build up a lead. I'd only use time for four-player (teams or free-for-all, doesn't matter) or three-player matches.

pulga

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
As much as I like the idea of being able to save replays of the matches, I'm still totally opposed to time. That would just lend itself to a lot of indefinite stalling from the likes of Sonic and Fox as soon as they build up a lead. I'd only use time for four-player (teams or free-for-all, doesn't matter) or three-player matches.

We'll crucify any sumbitches who pull that shit with Fox and Sonic. Then they'll learn.

Iam Canadian

Yeah, time matches are never much fun in 1v1. As you said, Jiggy, it's all too easy for the faster character to build up a lead and then stall for the rest of the match.

I guess we'd just have to live without replays. >_>

Yes, with replays, we'll have proof of people being bitches by stalling, and they can be promptly snubbed from the GAF brawl community!

Snubbed I say!

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
Hm. I see. So as long as it's a 4-way battle time/stock isn't too much of an issue... but when it's H2H stock is the way to go?

Keru_Shiri said:
Yes, with replays, we'll have proof of people being bitches by stalling, and they can be promptly snubbed from the GAF brawl community!

Snubbed I say!

Oooh. Good point. We can effectively blackball 'em! Muaha.

Iam Canadian

I suppose that the honour system is one way to go about it.

After all, Big Brother the Smash community will be watching lame stallers.

It should be a Stock game with a time limit, though, not a pure Time game.

Jiggy

I guess I used bad examples, because it doesn't even have to be a fast character like Sonic, Fox, Squirtle, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, or Diddy Kong. Peach could just camp off-stage for a long while because of her floating, and if she's against an opponent with average speed she probably doesn't even have to stay off-stage. Link has bomb jump abuse and Snake can do that too. Samus has an entirely different kind of bomb jump. Pit's up special has such great recovery that he can travel the distance of Battlefield underneath it and still come up on the other side. I haven't seen enough Pokemon Trainer videos, but there could be potential abuse there with switching. Meta Knight could probably fly around pretty well against anyone other than the fastest characters.

And this is without mentioning any spoiler characters, at least two of which can also be very good at stalling.

Keru_Shiri said:

Snubbed I say!
But how do you figure out where to draw the line between stalling and mindgames? Is ten seconds of avoiding the enemy too much? What about thirty? What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom