• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mame Sengoku Basara 02

ebCmmT5.jpg

IEYASUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Cerity

Dragons Rioting 1 -15
Seems to be a pretty typical yet fun series, pretty keen on the next chapter with the meeting of the two.

Kono Oto Tomare! 1-11
Getting some Kimi ni Todoke vibes from this series, cool insight into the koto as well. I've never really liked backseated MC's though.

D-FRAG! 1 - 20
Everything just seems ridiculous.

Acid08

Banned
KnIM 260

What was the point of breaking them up if Seo was just going to get them back together 3 chapters later? There was a timeskip for the characters, but not for the readers. Last chapter troll chapter?

Wait they really broke up? AND THERE WAS A TIME SKIP?

Goddamn. I guess I'll catch up.

NO I BROKE FREE AND THEY'LL NEVER GET ME BACK

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Oh man! For the last few days, I've been neglecting work, friends... hygiene. I've been enjoying Beck so much. I'm on chapter 65 (I started at 11 where the anime left off) and I'm gitty with enjoyment. I haven't even touched anime or any other manga... I just grow a little depressed with every chapter knowing an ending is coming on about 38 chapters or so. Its so good! This is why I read manga.

Edit: Holy shot Ran is such a troll!

Man with Rowling admitting her pairings at the end of HP was wrong makes me wonder if any manga author would admit that.

The batshit insanity that would go down from a author calling a canon pairing a "mistake" LOL.

"Toriyama" "Yeah Goku really should have ended up with Bulma" LOL The rage from the Vegeta and Trunks fans. Its kinda scary and hilarious to imagine.

Already the HP fandom is in an uproar with the R/HG vs H/HG which is amusing the hell out of me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shuukyuu Shoujo 32

Seems like it's about to end soon, with the way the final showdown is being setup. Decent soccer action, and it has a nice message in the value of women's soccer, but I feel that said message is constantly undermined by the ladies' penchant for dropping their panties at any opportunity.

diaspora

Koe no Katachi ch23

Considering that her oral speaking is fucking unintelligible, it doesn't surprise me that he didn't understand what she was trying to say.

Akito

Hmm? People in MangaGAF were part of a scanlating group? Tell me more.
Most prominent case was Ignis Fatuus, who was one of the leaders over at Red Hawk Scans so he had some amazing stories to tell about the scanlation scene.

Yes. I've been retired for a while so I've not been keeping up on the latest situation, but I think it's safe to mention now that it was MangaReader (AFTV, a company run by a Turkish investment group) who first began erasing the boundaries between scanlation and aggregate sites. They were the first to create a proxy group (MangaZone) to try to lock down all the high traffic series. Before that happened aggregate sites just rehosted stuff produced by various fan groups.

Nowadays if you want to work on a really popular series your competition is going to have no qualms about quality, many paid staffers, and five day early raws. They will also have professional hired hackers from China who can DDOS you. You can't even begin to compete unless you match their raw speed. This is why only a tiny handful of fan groups are capable of playing in that league.

I know that dude. He's a Mormon Hispanic living illegally in Idaho.

Yeah that dude has seen some shit though. I remember once he couldn't clean TWGOK because he spent the night in jail after getting pulled over without a license. He's like the primary caretaker of his brother too. He does work in the fields to put himself through college when he's not cleaning manga. He had trouble paying his internet bills at one point which was problematic for us cause it took him forever to upload his .PSD files.

...I probably shouldn't get any more specific than this.

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of interesting people in scanlation from all over the world.

There was that translator working as a diplomat in Austria who could speak five languages. She had trained since early childhood in several martial arts, including the use of knives, swords, and naginata, and was frequently unavailable because she was at one dojo or another. There was that other translator who was a mother who spoke three languages and had a PhD in chemistry; she spent most of her time doing postdoctoral research. She had to take a break once because a student of hers accidentally spilled liquid nitrogen on her and sent her to the hospital. Good times.

The guys I'm closest with though are my fellow admins, they're the only ones I still chat with today. Our Indonesian leader, the French schoolteacher, the Brazilian student, the white guy teaching English in Japan, and the dude in Oregon working in an electronics retailer. My nakama.

True story: The Brazilian dude learned English by reading manga translations.

Aizo

Banned
Hwhahaaahttt. I didn't know that scanlating was so seedy. I want that guy to tell us more stories.

Wait they really broke up? AND THERE WAS A TIME SKIP?

Goddamn. I guess I'll catch up.

NO I BROKE FREE AND THEY'LL NEVER GET ME BACK

I caught up and dropped it the week before he announced it was ending.
You can't ever truly escape, you know.

Aunt Tits 112
That was definitely a Yuno reference. Kind of extreme to compare. That feeling teased at the end seems interesting though I don't ave a clue to what feeling its alluding to.

Edit: wow. scanlating is very diverse

akaoni

Banned
Most prominent case was Ignis Fatuus, who was one of the leaders over at Red Hawk Scans so he had some amazing stories to tell about the scanlation scene.

That was interesting to read. Kind of derailing but the first person I ever talked to about mango IRL was an avid reader that only used aggregators and we had a long discussion about it. He refused to accept them as problematic because in the end they produced something for him so he felt he had no reason to care, and "scanlation groups were breaking the law too".

bigkrev

As with anything else that's on the grey side of the law, scanlation sure seems filled with a bunch of crazy people.

Aunt Tits

Handy time!

So I guess it's training arc time before the next girl

Silva 51

Huh, didn't actually expect this to be the ending.

It was an amusing read and I rather enjoyed the whole silliness of it.

Waratte! Sotomura-san 54

Well I liked of how she and the art teacher became friends.

Kieli

Koe no Katachi 23

Dat ambiguity. I'm gonna laugh so hard if Ishida accidentally affirmed her confession without knowing what he did.

As a side note, I love ponytails. Ponytails for life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UQ Holder 21

Finally something interesting happens. (That's Magia Erebea, which was the fighting technique that Negi learned from Evangeline using in Negima).

Girls Go Around 6
Too bad this manga ends at the end of this volume. I found it particularly interesting and generally liked the girls. On the topic of the chapter, this new Scifi girl seems fun. I wonder what is her specific issue

Kousha no Ura ni wa Tenshi ga Umerarete Iru 1 (There Is an Angel Buried Behind the School Building)

Heartwarming shoujo series about a timid young girl who changes schools and strives to overcome her shyness to make friends. She suffers some setbacks initially, but finds solace in a kindhearted classmate with a love of dogs who helps her integrate into the class and--

wait wat

WAT

Oh holy shit it's one of these mangas. Fuck yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YES

Akito

Kousha no Ura ni wa Tenshi ga Umerarete Iru 1 (There Is an Angel Buried Behind the School Building)

Heartwarming shoujo series about a timid young girl who changes schools and strives to overcome her shyness to make friends. She suffers some setbacks initially, but finds solace in a kindhearted classmate with a love of dogs who helps her integrate into the class and--

wait wat

WAT

Oh holy shit it's one of these mangas. Fuck yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YES
Read this yesterday and I instantly knew that you would love this. I thought the drama was a little forced though.

Man with Rowling admitting her pairings at the end of HP was wrong makes me wonder if any manga author would admit that.

The batshit insanity that would go down from a author calling a canon pairing a "mistake" LOL.

"Toriyama" "Yeah Goku really should have ended up with Bulma" LOL The rage from the Vegeta and Trunks fans. Its kinda scary and hilarious to imagine.

Already the HP fandom is in an uproar with the R/HG vs H/HG which is amusing the hell out of me.

Goku really should had ended up with Bulma :)

Can I get a link to this?

Edit: found it, agree with what she said completely. In some ways it would be like Naruto ending up with Sakura in the end, sure that was probably the original ending but the story has developed away from that to an ending where Naruto and Hinata makes sense

Aunt Tits 112

Dude needs to get a grip.

One of these? Pray do tell, what is these?
You know how 93.74% of shounens have The Power of Friendship as an irritatingly pervasive theme? It's basically the opposite of that, incorporating betrayal, suffering and other less desirable aspects of humanity. I just flicked through the next few chapters and they spend ages building up two kids as quasi-soulmates, only to have one betray the other fairly comprehensively at the end.

Read this yesterday and I instantly knew that you would love this. I thought the drama was a little forced though.
Wish I could consider that criticism objectively, but I fell off my chair laughing at the twist and couldn't get up for 5 minutes so... yeah.

Tacitus_

Aunt Tits 112

Dude needs to get a grip.

You know how 93.74% of shounens have The Power of Friendship as an irritatingly pervasive theme? It's basically the opposite of that, incorporating betrayal, suffering and other less desirable aspects of humanity. I just flicked through the next few chapters and they spend ages building up two kids as quasi-soulmates, only to have one betray the other fairly comprehensively at the end.

Wish I could consider that criticism objectively, but I fell off my chair laughing at the twist and couldn't get up for 5 minutes so... yeah.

Oh dear. Might have to check it out then.

Sentou Jousai Masurawo 1 - 7
MITHRIL COATED CHAINSAW BITCHES

I'm a sucker for this kind of manga and characters, which are wrongly believed to be god-tier powerful but actually are kind of weak and bluff their way to victory (King from OPM, Mx0....)

Wolf and Mary 1

Kill your highschool friend
unvolontarily.
Discover he's been fucking your girlfriend brains out for the past three years
Girlfriend visits while you're trying to get rid of the body
Ask the right questions.

wait wat

WAT

wow.

So, apparently Goku's mom was "revealed": http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/episode-bardock-akira-toriyama-super-qa/

The link is to an interview of Toriyama.

Since Saiyans are supposed to have no affection for family or friends, does this actually make Vegeta, who holds his family and wife dear, an even stranger (kinder) Saiyan than Goku?
Vegeta, whose pride had been deeply wounded, sought help from Bulma, and little by little, his ruthless personality changed. Nowadays, you certainly might be able to say that. On the other hand, Goku might not have a sense of family members like Gohan and Chi-Chi except as one of his companions.
That explains why Goku is a deadbeat dad.

mjontrix

Tizoc

Gigantomakhia 2-4
EFFIN' MIURA, SON! Fuck I miss this guy's art, and this is becoming my fav. work of his I love the characters and the setting, but it's a shame we won't see more of this after it ends =/ Oh well it's a great short series either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom