• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Samus' and Pikachu's special moves. I think I was right on when I said at the time of the announcement about future updates--and that there would only be two more months of the Dojo--that doubles would have to be much more frequent to meet that deadline.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I like how Samus' Missile and Super Missiles are modeled after their appearace in Super Metroid.

I kind of wish the missiles in Metroid Prime looked like that.

Best part of the update? Lucas absorbing Pikachu's Thunder with the caption "Thanks!".

My favorite pic from tonight's update:

samus_080226c-l.jpg

:D

Jiggy

-"Special Move Update 25, and Special Move Update 26: by your powers combined, I am the 37th double update!"

-Pokemon hits 18 updates. Metroid hits 9 and moves past Donkey Kong. (This isn't a cue for Elizabethan DK, because I'm talking about series and not characters.)

-The revealed characters without special moves updates are now Donkey Kong, Peach, Sheik, Ness, and Marth. And I'm not entirely sure Ness and Marth will get separate updates, though I still lean toward yes.

-Complicated day for the screenshot count.

Charizard advances by two shots, from 17 to 19, beating Luigi's 18 and tying Marth's 19. This also brings the full Pokemon Trainer combo from 59 to 61, tying Ike. Pokemon Trainer and Ike would also have been tied with Pikachu, but DK's old rival (that would be Pikachu) got 9 screenshots and hit 70, meeting up with DK's old buddy Diddy Kong. This would also have been a tie with Meta Knight, but MK, having lost out to Donkey, says "no flipping way" to losing to Pikachu and appears in a single screenshot, moving to 71.

Taking a little step back for a second, Lucas moves from 50 to 52, breaking a tie with Peach and also slipping past Zelda.

Out further in front, Fox moves from 80 to 83, which would have been one behind Samus, but Samus got 10 shots and moved to 94, passing Yoshi (despite Yoshi's own two steps forward to 88) and Link (at 91). She would also have hit a tie with Pit, but Pit pulled a Meta Knight and got one screenshot, advancing to 95 and staying ahead.
And Wario had three screenshots, but that's not terribly interesting since there's no change in the hierarchy; he's still 36 shots behind second-place character Kirby, who in turn is 71 shots behind a certain guy in red and blue.

FightyF

Banned
Why are there still updates? I thought the game was out in Japan, so wouldn't all the movesets and such be completely finished at this point?

I recently played it at a family friend's house on Saturday. It's not bad.

Interesting enough update. It's always fun to see the bits and pieces of information that Sakurai felt like sharing, such as the screenshot of Pikachu's recovery range, or the fact that you can absorb Thunder with PK Magnet.

Jiggy

viewtiful_dru said:
doesn't it only absorb projectiles?
In Melee, sure. I'm just curious because of this wording: "Watch out, though—electrical attacks can be absorbed and reflected." And then it's followed up with Lucas putting a PK Magnet in front of the bottom part of Pikachu's Thunder, which is the non-projectile part. Maybe they changed things? For other examples: can PSI Magnet absorb Zelda's side smash, or Pikachu's side smash, or Samus' down tilt?

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
In Melee, sure. I'm just curious because of this wording: "Watch out, though—electrical attacks can be absorbed and reflected." And then it's followed up with Lucas putting a PK Magnet in front of the bottom part of Pikachu's Thunder, which is the non-projectile part. Maybe they changed things? For other examples: can PSI Magnet absorb Zelda's side smash, or Pikachu's side smash, or Samus' down tilt?

I know for a fact it couldn't absorb any of those things in Melee. As for Brawl...well, I certainly hope so.

Spoiler-reading people (AKA 99.9% of you), I honestly don't know.

truendo

Jiggy37 said:
That'd make Pikachu great!

MisterHero

Jiggy37 said:
Probably. But the problem is that there's a physical/concussive blast in those attacks aside from the special attributes.

MisterHero

Jiggy37 said:
The part of Pikachu's Thunder that Lucas is absorbing looked pretty physical to me in Melee, but eh. >_>
I was talking about the other attacks you listed. :p

Maybe it might work, since Ness would be too close but Lucas isn't.

Innotech

Banned
well its almost the end of February.
February being short, that means the day of Brawling is almost upon us:D

I even got the call from Gamestop about my preorder and I signed up for the tournament (which Im going to lose very quickly no doubt) :lol

truendo

So Jiggy, How many more updates untill it comes out in NA? wait... It's so short can count it! Yes! 8 more! (I think)

That's

11days 3 hours 13 minutes and 38.5 seconds
Unitl it's out!

Edit: Can you guys see my avatar? I think somethings wrong with it. I can't see it.

TJ Spyke

truendo said:
So Jiggy, How many more updates untill it comes out in NA? wait... It's so short can count it! Yes! 8 more! (I think)
Edit: Can you guys see my avatar? I think somethings wrong with it. I can't see it.

Yes, 8 more updates before the release in NA (although updates will continue until the end of April).

All I see for your avatar are the words "Truendo's avatar".

Jiggy

Imagerotation is down right now. Quickest way to tell: both Iam Canadian and I stopped using it temporarily. Just switch to whatever picture host your Imagerotation was linking to.

Anyway, eight days of updates, but at the pace we've been moving, definitely more than eight updates left overall. Now where's my Jigglypuff already? :mad:
(Yes, spoiler people, I know whether Jiggs is or isn't gone.)

More importantly, where are the hidden secret characters? So far we've gotten Ness, Marth, Luigi, Falco, and Captain Falcon, but those are all veterans. Well, tonight I predict a newcomer. Can't say who because I would either be giving a spoiler or I'd just get the prediction wrong. >_> So, yeah, just a newcomer of some kind.

Iam Canadian

Clear %.

Drat, if I gone with that Subspace prediction again, I would've been right.

Anyway, some very interesting info here.

Here we go, a hidden door! You can go between two different worlds!

I can only wonder what this refers to. Two different worlds?

(Spoiler people, I honestly don't know. And don't tell me.

In order to earn a complete victory, try your best to find all the doors and open all the orange cubes!

Sometimes you might even feel we were a little mean!

Excellent. I hope that the puzzles are as devious as Sakurai can make them. :D

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
I haven't tried to 100% something in so long.
SSBB will be 100% complete.

Yeah, it's been quite a while since I've felt absolutely compelled to get 100% on a game, but I'm definitely going to do so for Brawl.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nintendo could've released The Subspace Emissary as its own standalone product and I would not have complained one bit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Iam Canadian said:
Yeah, it's been quite a while since I've felt absolutely compelled to get 100% on a game, but I'm definitely going to do so for Brawl.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nintendo could've released The Subspace Emissary as its own standalone product and I would not have complained one bit.
Look I don't want to shit all over the SSE, but it is NOT worth the price of a full game. Not quite polished enough, as you will see when you play it. Still a fun distraction, but go into it with lower expectations.

Jiggy

No promises that I'll be here for tomorrow's post.

-Clear % is our 14th adventure mode update and pushes the five least recent updates to item, Poke Ball, music, assist trophy, and stage.

-Wednesday breaks away from the tie with Monday and Tuesday with its third adventure mode update and hits second place, at three total. (In the lead at seven updates, she who will never be passed in this regard is Fri-chan.)

-Diddy Kong gets a screenshot and advances to the same position as Meta Knight again, 71 total.

Rez>You said:
Look I don't want to shit all over the SSE, but it is NOT worth the price of a full game. Not quite polished enough, as you will see when you play it. Still a fun distraction, but go into it with lower expectations.
Eh, people in the Japanese impressions thread like RevenantKioku and cvxfreak loved it. I think MrCheez likes it too, don't quite remember.
More importantly for my own personal taste, I'm way too much of an eternal 2D shill to not be getting my money's worth out of SSE alone. >_>

Iam Canadian

Yeah, a 2D platformer/beat-em-up on a console with Nintendo characters as the protagonists is perfectly tailor-made to my interests. It's impossible for me to not like it.

Besides, it will feature Lucas and (hopefully) Ness as participants in the story, and my innate Mother fanboyism will seal the deal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The game is worth purchasing alone for the coin launcher.

Or the soundtrack.

Or heck, even the betting on other people playing the game feature.

Everything else on top of it is just gravy.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy37 said:
Eh, people in the Japanese impressions thread like RevenantKioku and cvxfreak loved it. I think MrCheez likes it too, don't quite remember.
More importantly for my own personal taste, I'm way too much of an eternal 2D shill to not be getting my money's worth out of SSE alone. >_>

To be honest I haven't played more than three hours of it... I decided to stop because I want to wait for the American release so that I can take advantage of the sticker mode in English. Also I figured I'm going to want to get 100% on my American copy anyway so it'd be more fun to do most of it for the first time :)

But I had a lot of fun with it for those three hours. All three hours of it were co-op, however, and I could see it not being as interesting if you played by yourself. Co-op was great though... we chose the 'normal' difficulty and it had a good level of challenge - we lost a few lives within the first hour and had to restart one of the early bosses over completely from losing all of our lives. And there are still two harder difficulties to try!

I can see how a lot of people might not dig SSE, however. Even though you're basically running through the same sort of stages you might see in a platforming game... the gameplay doesn't feel like a platformer. It feels like a beat-em-up. If you are expecting this to play much differently from the adventure mode in Melee you will probably end up disappointed..

Though of course you're going to find MUCH better level designs here than what was available in the Melee's adventure mode. The stages now have branching paths, mine cart sections, forced scrolling sections, some small puzzles, enemy swarm sections, unique bosses, and much longer length.

The problem people are having is probably in how SSE feels when you play it. You've got to keep in mind you are still going to be controlling Smash Bros characters with Smash Bros movements and attacks. I compared it to Melee's adventure mode a second ago, which was widely regarded as pretty bland and weak. Think about when you played that and try to pinpoint what it was about the mode that left you cold (if it did at all)... was it because of how it felt to play, or was it because it was a rather short, straight-forward, and simple affair? If it's the former, you might not like SSE. If it's the latter, your problems with Melee's adventure mode have been remedied.

Oh also I have to mention the TONS AND TONS of lengthy cutscenes. If you're really into these franchises that Smash Bros brings together you'll probably find this aspect alone will keep you giddy as hell. The individual character personalities shine through in these cutscenes... there are moments of comedy and moments of badassedry. There is so much footage and so many cool situations and scenes that I guarantee we're going to start seeing "AMVs" (music videos) on youtube just like you could find for all the Final Fantasy games and Kingdom Hearts :lol

ANNNND the very last thing to remember... this is just a MODE in this massive game. I have a feeling some people are treating it as though it were the main game itself.

So.... yeah, hope that helps? :lol

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:
Besides, it will feature Lucas and (hopefully) Ness as participants in the story, and my innate Mother fanboyism will seal the deal.

You are going to love
their segment. They have a lot of interaction
and it's pretty memorable

MrCheez

Tenbatsu said:
[brawl boooxxx]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D

Oh man, I can't wait to see what the english voice acting is like :O Hopefully it's decent

TJ Spyke

Cataferal said:
Cant see the pics. What happened?

He has a copy of the game (in the SSBB spoilers article, he posted a pic of the disc and the opened game manual too).

My guess is that its a review copy. I doubt Nintendo would ship the game this early (and if they did, stores would get in deep shit selling it this early).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom