• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monumma

I'm fairly certain that USB C can transfer relatively large amounts power and data simultaneously, compared to the old standard. I remember reading that as one of the main benefits a while back. I'm certain it will charge while docked and playing. It would make no sense if you couldn't.

Page 16
All Alternate Modes must minimally maintain a USB2.0 and USB Power Delivery connection.

So it is required, I don't know why rumours stated otherwise.
USB-C is awesome though, the switch will have access to power, 2xUSB 2.0, 1xUSB 3.0, HDMI, and maybe more just from a cable.

How come OG PS4 supports HDR with a HDMI 1.4 port though?

I mean, I won't get my hopes up but in theory...?

After looking around it seems like you may be right and that it isn't a hardware limitation (I don't think that nintendo will support it, but who knows).
Dolby Vision doesn't need HDMI2.0

What version of HDMI does Dolby Vision require?
Also, if Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata, how can an Ultra HD Blu-ray player pass the proper signal on to an HDR TV using HDMI 2.0a (which supports only static metadata)?

During the color grading process in post-production, the Dolby Vision workflow enables the colorist to perform a scene-by-scene analysis of the particular look that they are going for. Once determined, a set a metadata is generated for this scene, then married to the picture and transmitted on a frame-by-frame basis. This is why the type of metadata discussed here is referred to dynamic metadata. This concept is specific to Dolby Vision and adds a layer of performance and fidelity on top of other concepts that only use static metadata.

In addition to the scene-based dynamic metadata mentioned above, there are also some static metadata parameters, such as specifications of the mastering display used during the color grading process. This data does not change for the duration of the program and is hence called static metadata. This is data can be carried via the existing HDMI standard.

Dolby Vision does not require HDMI 2.0a or 2.1. It embeds the metadata into video signal. Knowing that previous versions of HDMI would not pass the Dolby Vision dynamic metadata, Dolby developed a way to carry this dynamic metadata across HDMI interfaces as far back as v1.4b. The HDMI specification is now catching up with v2.0a supporting static metadata and future versions expected to support dynamic metadata as well. Dolby’s intent is not to compete with HDMI but merely to enable deployment of a full Dolby Vision HDR ecosystem without having to wait for HDMI standardization to catch up. Dolby was and is directly involved in standardizaton of the current and future versions of HDMI.

In practice, most Dolby Vision content is in Ultra HD and requires HDCP 2.2 copy protection, which is only available on HDMI 2.0 and up.

Note that only external sources like Ultra HD Blu-ray players and streaming devices such as Roku or Amazon Fire TV rely on HDMI connections to feed the video to a TV set. For streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu and M-GO the HDMI version is irrelevant when the app is running on a Smart TV because the HDR signal can bypass HDMI completely.

sanstesy

yTJNrPx.gif

i still can't believe this GIF lmao. fallon sitting in a stadium, with a Shigeru Miyamoto VIP ticket around his neck, seriously trying to explain to an old dude what the switch is with exaggerated hand gestures and that dude looking in fallons face like "what this dude on about"

i still can't believe this GIF lmao. fallon sitting in a stadium, with a Shigeru Miyamoto VIP ticket around his neck, seriously trying to explain to an old dude what the switch is with exaggerated hand gestures and that dude looking in fallons face like "what this dude on about"

Yeah this is pretty great. I don't want to hear people say he was faking it when it comes to that segment after this.

Why people speak as if Strikers and Tennis are the same?

Other is slapping balls from one side to other, other one is badass version of football, sharing similarities with the GOAT football game, the all mighty Nintendo World Cup...

But that upcoming Sports for 3DS looks neat and I hope that we get it for Switch too. It might be pretty well fleshed out.

LordKano

Cuningas de Häme;226350080 said:

Other is slapping balls from one side to other, other one is badass version of football, sharing similarities with the GOAT football game, the all mighty Nintendo World Cup...

But that upcoming Sports for 3DS looks neat and I hope that we get it for Switch too. It might be pretty well fleshed out.

Mario Tennis is the superior game tho.

Pachimari

Cuningas de Häme;226345162 said:
There is a button(/s?) in the side of the Con, they are on the tablet side and thus normally not used. Gives you an extra button to use.

There was a picture about that in this very topic page or two ago.

Are we sure that's a button though? Isn't it just to click the joy-con in place.

I could just imagine that Inazuma Eleven game be a China-exclusive Online game for PC lol.

Cuningas de Häme;226350080 said:

Yeah, Mario Strikers is superior to Mario Golf, but I'll take Mario Golf from Gamecube over both.

Are we sure that's a button though? Isn't it just to click the joy-con in place.

I could just imagine that Inazuma Eleven game be a China-exclusive Online game for PC lol.

They were clicking on it in the reveal trailer, would be weird if it did nothing...

EDIT.

Yeah, I'd LOVE to have a good golf game for Switch.

Baleoce

The closer we come to release, I'm getting more and more excited for this. Told my nephew and brother about it the other day as they hadn't heard about it (they mainly play on Xbox and don't tend to keep up with gaming news unless it affects them), and they seemed genuinely interested in it.

If its true that the Switch's joycons have pointer controls, I could see it being converted to that. I've always thought Uprisings controls would be better on wiimote then on a touch screen.
Its strange that the pointer controls would be on the back of the right joy con instead of the front. I guess it has to do with how the control stick and buttons are placed.

xandaca

I'd love a full-scale Strikers title, but I'm pretty confident we'll get a cross-gen release for Mario Sports Superstars.

They should offer a Mario team to FIFA Switch as a selling point. I'm amazed Nintendo hasn't loaned their property to third party points to make them more appealing to their traditionally insular audience, especially after it worked so well for Soul Calibur on Gamecube. You could have Mario/Princess Peach costumes in COD, for instance.

Its strange that the pointer controls would be on the back of the right joy con instead of the front. I guess it has to do with how the control stick and buttons are placed.
I think it's that either with as thing as the device is and there already being two shoulder buttons there's simply not room, or if they could squeeze it in there the finger using the shoulder buttons would get in the way too much.

EDarkness

I think it's that either with as thing as the device is and there already being two shoulder buttons there's simply not room, or if they could squeeze it in there the finger using the shoulder buttons would get in the way too much.

I really hope they have an add on accessory that is a larger version of the joycons with the IR sensor at the top instead of the bottom. I would definitely pick something like that up.

PtM

Banned
More like, "son, let me watch the game", perhaps?

I think it's completely fine being at the bottom of the right joy con. There is no space at the top.

When you play a game you hold it like a Wii remote and then use the left joy con to press the buttons.

Now you'll be able to point and run since the right joy con flipped upside down would have the analog stick at the top. It's even better than a Wii remote.

Right from the get go you automatically can make games for two players with one person using the IR of the right controller and the other person using the left joycon.

Yeah this is pretty great. I don't want to hear people say he was faking it when it comes to that segment after this.
Fallon probably has great memories growing up with Zelda and Nintendo. Fallon would have been about 13 when Zelda 1 released and I'm sure his mind was blown by it like everyone else's was when that game released.

Being younger than Fallon, ALttP was the Zelda game that got me. I still have weird emotions in me whenever I watch the title screen and the following cinematic.

Fallon is genuine in his excitement.

If a game uses both shoulder buttons, will it be impossible to play using a Joy Con? I'm thinking of drifting and using items in Mario Kart on the main Switch set-up but then changing to just a single Joy Con.
For games that do split screen on Switch the control scheme should either be fairly simple or force classic controller/Joy Con Grip usage.
Mario Kart and Smash are playable with a wii mote and I imagine a JoyCon has more buttons (I think it's rumored to have two shoulder buttons?)

For games that do split screen on Switch the control scheme should either be fairly simple or force classic controller/Joy Con Grip usage.
Mario Kart and Smash are playable with a wii mote and I imagine a JoyCon has more buttons (I think it's rumored to have two shoulder buttons?)
You can see the two shoulder buttons.

Yes, however the switch uses USB-C between the portable and the dock and, as darkness said, the signal passing through USB-C only support up to hdmi 1.4b, as you can see here.

HDMI only supports HDR from 2.0a, so the switch won't have hdr support. However I'm hopeful for that sweet 4k netflix content.

I also don't know if the switch will be able to charge on the dock while playing, does anyone know more about it?

With enough bandwidth, Nintendo can support HDR. They don't have to follow specs

Peltz

Is it just me or is the dude in the back left thinking of strangling Jimmy with a belt?

I didn't think people hated him THAT much.

Just think there would be bette balance between OS features and games, plus a bit more of future proofing, might not need 8 but 4 would be a bit low.
You would have at least 4GB usable for games.
They already future proofed. Sell new tablets every year or two lol.

oti

Banned
Just think there would be bette balance between OS features and games, plus a bit more of future proofing, might not need 8 but 4 would be a bit low.

I don't expect too many OS features other than sharing screenshots (and hopefully streaming) and app switching (friends list and so on).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What OS features? Let's not jump the shark here, let's first see the OS. I hope it doesn't take as long as it took with Wii U to have a decently working OS in the first place.

Don't expect too many OS features. Looks like Nintendo isn't even going to reserve a gig for it like the Wii U. They are likely looking at efficiency and speed, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Oregano

TBH I'm not even sure what the gig was used for on Wii U. Eshop when game is suspended and background downloads/installs? Seems like a lot of RAM.

Don't expect too many OS features. Looks like Nintendo isn't even going to reserve a gig for it like the Wii U. They are likely looking at efficiency and speed, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Wii U's OS was awful. Rumored .8GB worries me.. I want to suspend software better and want faster access with friends on my FL

it would still add to the cost of the machine also where would you put it?

more ram means more space needed so would you make the machine Thicker? Larger?

You can't just say I want 6GB without designing for it first.

If Nintendo uped it to 6-8GB, it would go a long way, but this is implying that they'd want to make a console as powerful as xbone when docked.

Just imagine if Sony didn't change their ram from 4 to 8GB in the last minute. They wouldn't be the lead console for sure...

I wish Nintendo took more hardware power risks instead of playing it safe and cutting corners so they don't lose profit at launch. They really should try first for a couple of months.

LoveCake

I don't like my consoles standing up, I like them laying down, I have all the consoles from my SNES to 3DO to Atari Jaguar to Dreamcast to Xbox One all on shelves, If I were to get a Switch I would want to lay it in a shelf, so will it lay flat?

Roo

I don't like my consoles standing up, I like them laying down, I have all the consoles from my SNES to 3DO to Atari Jaguar to Dreamcast to Xbox One all on shelves, If I were to get a Switch I would want to lay it in a shelf, so will it lay flat?

Someone pointed out in the Jimmy Fallon thread that Switch was two rubber pads on the back side of the dock but we still don't know for sure.

I personally don't think you'll be able to place it in horizontal position but will have to wait and see.

edit: here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226222928&postcount=588

Wii U's OS was awful. Rumored .8GB worries me.. I want to suspend software better and want faster access with friends on my FL
More RAM may not be necessary for that.

TBH I'm not even sure what the gig was used for on Wii U. Eshop when game is suspended and background downloads/installs? Seems like a lot of RAM.
I wonder about that too. Considering that the OS for the 3DS can't even be 40MB, Nintendo really put some time to having more stuff without using so much RAM.

MCN

Banned

On Jimmy Fallon, the back of the dock had it so the wires could run out of the side of the dock, in such a way that you could lie it down. I imagine it's for this exact reason.

EDarkness

Unless the main unit snaps into the dock, I don't see how that can work without it falling out by accident if it's bumped or something like that. On top of that, if the IR sensors are on the screen and it's lying flat, would mean no IR stuff. Unless it has another place to plug in a Wii sensor bar. In any case, I guess we'll see in the next few weeks.

LoveCake

Someone pointed out in the Jimmy Fallon thread that Switch was two rubber pads on the back side of the dock but we still don't know for sure.

I personally don't think you'll be able to place it in horizontal position but will have to wait and see.

edit: here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226222928&postcount=588

Hmm with the way that cable sticks out, it looks like it may not lay flat.

I don't want to go off topic, but Nintendo seem to be making this hard to be a handheld due to the size and hard to use at home if it won't lay flat, not everyone lives in a minimalist utopia! I mean look at this shot here from the Switch advert/reveal, this Switch doesn't have any cables or wires coming from it, how does it send the audio and video to the TV, with magic (yes I am being sarcastic).

rxCtbp5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom