• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nows the best time for Sony to bring Crash home?

During the Ps2 era crash had enough pull to warrant keeping him.

Now, we are at a time than most of what Activision would do with the character would fail.

With EA looking to ms, with the increased world wide sales of Ps4 over x1 it would seem it's time for Sony to work out some kind of deal in exchange for the crash rights.

So, what could Sony do? Lower their cut on royalties for a one time deal to give them more profit on call of duty? Can they work out a deal?

I think it would be a fresh of breathe air to get a new crash game from naughty dog. With the style of gameplay, the size of levels and enough time budget this could be q new bar in visuals just like the original crash was perceived to be.

With that said, I do believe if it looked better than everything else and was fun, unique that it would do very well in sales and it's a much easier game to develop that doesn't need a ton of voice work or cuteness.

That is sort of my idea of they are able to get the license. It can have the best visuals on.the market because it has a lot going for it.

Non relatic visuals and the right developer. Plus we can get a proper kart game to go against mario kart.

The only thing I worry is that if they get it, they give it to a lesser developer and it can't blow us away visually to garner interest and high sales.

So, there are two huge issues in this games way. But it would be a great game to have come out after or near last of us 2.

Activision is not going to give up a property. They would not make money on it at all than let another company make a profit. Same reason Fox ain't giving over Fantastic Four.

Mascot platformers have no pull in the general market today, sadly. That, and I very much doubt Naughty Dog wants to devote years of their time toward making one, especially after the Uncharted series and The Last of Us.

Mascot platformers have no pull in the general market today, sadly. That, and I very much doubt Naughty Dog wants to devote years of their time toward making one, especially after the Uncharted series and The Last of Us.
Why would nd not want to make it? You really think they prefer making trees and buildings more than a game with more artistic freedom? You forget how things are created maybe. But I disagree with you. They would probably rather make a crash game. Most of them anyways

You guys really think Activision would give up a deal to make or take money? I don't.

Crash is always at the top in Europe for sales.

I believe Sony could find a deal Activision won't refuse. Sony needs to believe in it first.

Tingle

Why would nd not want to make it? You really think they prefer making trees and buildings more than a game with more artistic freedom? You forget how things are created maybe. But I disagree with you. They would probably rather make a crash game. Most of them anyways

You guys really think Activision would give up a deal to make or take money? I don't.

ND has artistic freedom now, and that resulted in Uncharted and TLOU. Mascot platformers aren't really Sony's direction now, nor are they generally profitable. Also I am sure the current staff at ND are more in tune with cover shooter production than platformers, they have made ~5 cover shooters now.

I don't see why Sony would want to pay the likely high price to get a currently dead series in a relatively poor moving genre.

ND has artistic freedom now, and that resulted in Uncharted and TLOU. Mascot platformers aren't really Sony's direction now, nor are they generally profitable. Also I am sure the current staff at ND are more in tune with cover shooter production than platformers, they have made ~5 cover shooters now.

I don't see why Sony would want to pay the likely high price to get a currently dead series in a relatively poor moving genre.
Like I said, if it has something to entice interest in believe it will do fine. But you can use these ideas to help Activision sell the game to Sony :)

Can you name me 5 games that hard a real budget and push in the genre in the last 5 years?

I don't think making realistic designs is a lot of freedom though. Most artists do the unrealistic style in my experience with artists anyways.

Crash Bandicoot is pretty much the least important franchise in the world. Basically no one would pay $60 for a new Crash game no matter who made it.

SegaShack

Don't get your hopes up. Activision is in much better standing than Sony. I thought it was strange how many people thought they would announce Crash at Playstation Experience.

Crash Bandicoot is basically the least important franchise in the world. Basically no one would pay $60 for a new Crash game no matter who made it.
That's just crazy talk. I'll buy 3 myself at 129 toy collector edituons. Not joking.

It will sell better than tomb raider does this holiday and have one fourth the budget. If they follow my criteria for it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Crash Bandicoot is basically the least important franchise in the world. Basically no one would pay $60 for a new Crash game no matter who made it.
Spyro was in the same shape, arguably worse, before Activision took the right idea and made it one of the largest franchises in the world.

'New Crash Game Sells $387 Worldwide'
It would sell enough to make a profit. Don't forget about a mascot vr game. Crash fits the style vr needs and it doesn't have to be a crash game per say here. Plus digital is big. Like I said crash is often top of the charts in Europe so this already disapproves your ideas.

If it literally looked close to a new Pixar film and was fun, I think it could do well enough. It isn't even about just sales but about mindshare and getting something to.talk about playstation.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think Sony and ND will prefer to make another TLOU/Uncharted or a new shooter game than going back to Crash Bandicoot.

I think there's a higher chance of him appearing in Smash Bros

Henkka

Banned
I can't imagine what a triple-A Crash Bandicoot game would be in 2015. It was great at the time but the industry has moved on.

Wait, he wasn't even in Playstation Battle Royale? Yikes.

Activision licensing made it 100% not possible.

It would sell enough to make a profit. Don't forget about a mascot vr game. Crash fits the style vr needs and it doesn't have to be a crash game per say here. Plus digital is big. Like I said crash is often top of the charts in Europe so this already disapproves your ideas.

Where is your source for this? Like you keep saying it, but sales charts put Europe below the US in number.

I have no faith that current Sony could make a sequel in the same spirit as the first three. The only studios still making games with the same feel are Nintendo and Sega, and Sega has had trouble doing those well.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't trust any developer other than Nintendo to make a great '90s-style platformer. The Crash Bandicoot you know and love is probably dead for good.

Nightii

Banned
You have to accept that you are now a minority in taste, OP. Most people nowadays either look down on mascot platformers (muh "creative freedom") or simply don't care about them, thus they don't make enough money, thus they don't sell.

sigh...just the way it is now, man. :(

I can't imagine what a triple-A Crash Bandicoot game would be in 2015. It was great at the time but the industry has moved on.
Probably the best looking game ever made. Same basic level design but much better controls and animation with cart racing mixed in. Part open world like mario 64 with collectibles, and the linear levels as its main level. Cart racing, flying, wave race and snowboarding as extra special levels. Plus whatever else. It woild be a big title. Give me the director chair and I'll make sure it's a game you wanna play :)

Some of you say platformers are dead, all the more reason for tgem to make a fun amazing game imo

Of its good enough and fun, you'll want to play it.

Probably the best looking game ever made. Same basic level design but much better controls and animation with cart racing mixed in. Part open world like mario 64 with collectibles, and the linear levels as its main level. Cart racing, flying, wave race and snowboarding as extra special levels. Plus whatever else. It woild be a big title. Give me the director chair and I'll make sure it's a game you wanna play :)

You sure would.

Tingle

Like I said, if it has something to entice interest in believe it will do fine. But you can use these ideas to help Activision sell the game to Sony :)

Can you name me 5 games that hard a real budget and push in the genre in the last 5 years?

I don't think making realistic designs is a lot of freedom though. Most artists do the unrealistic style in my experience with artists anyways.

What would "entice interest"? That's kind of the issue. All I can really see them doing is trying to appeal to original fans of the series, which probably isn't enough of a reason to dig the franchise back up and re-buy it. And if they try to do something else, then they risk scaring away all of the original fans, somewhat like Microsoft's Nuts and Bolts. And even if that does happen, they that risks something happening like with Spyro, where its really just Spiro in name only.

I'm not going to list games for you, but Sony's latest platformers haven't exactly lit the world on fire. LBP2 and 3, and Tearaway come to mind. Other developers aren't trying to make platformers simply because the day of mascot platformers is pretty far gone beyond Nintendo, and recently some indies.

There is plenty of freedom in realistic designs... I mean the style is based on real life, but that hardly makes any two realistic games similar at all beyond that style. TLOU and Uncharted are hardly similar and are considered pretty innovative games due to Naughty Dog's creativeness, there is more to a game than its artstyle. I would agree with you though that I tend to like other styles more, but that's pretty subjective and something many would disagree with anyway.

From a small amount of Googling, this appears to be a made up fact.

KevinCow

Banned
If Sony did for Crash what Nintendo did for DK in DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze, I think a Crash revival could be a big deal.

Unfortunately, even if they got Crash back from Activision, I don't think Sony's interested in spending the money and putting one of their better teams on that project when they could make more non-cartoony games instead.

Though if they did decide to do it, I think Ready at Dawn would be a good fit. They did a great job with Daxter, and they're probably scrambling to figure out what to do next since The Order flopped.

What would "entice interest"? That's kind of the issue. All I can really see them doing is trying to appeal to original fans of the series, which probably isn't enough of a reason to dig the franchise back up and re-buy it. And if they try to do something else, then they risk scaring away all of the original fans, somewhat like Microsoft's Nuts and Bolts. And even if that does happen, they that risks something happening like with Spyro, where its really just Spiro in name only.

I'm not going to list games for you, but Sony's latest platformers haven't exactly lit the world on fire. LBP2 and 3, and Tearaway come to mind. Other developers aren't trying to make platformers simply because the day of mascot platformers is pretty far gone beyond Nintendo, and recently some indies.

There is plenty of freedom in realistic designs... I mean the style is based on real life, but that hardly makes any two realistic games similar at all beyond that style. TLOU and Uncharted are hardly similar and are considered pretty innovative games due to Naughty Dog's creativeness, there is more to a game than its artstyle. I would agree with you though that I tend to like other styles more, but that's pretty subjective and something many would disagree with anyway.
The best way to entice interest and make a top end product is just to make something good and that people want. Going the route of Halo or titanfall and copying over proven sales topperw isnt the way.

You have to.take chances sometimes but you also just need to make something really good.

I know there was a new sly cooper on ps3 and it sold ok. The game was good but it wasnt that big or that in depth of a true Aaà game. And there were a lot of things that could have been better to make it a stand out title, including gameplay and visuals. It was more a budget production game but was still happy to get it.

From a small amount of Googling, this appears to be a made up fact.
Playstation classic sales charts, sometimes I think I get around this site in the top 2 percent of time and viewed threads maybe lol. Often see many users quoting the crash sales and saying how it has power in Europe

One of them was as far back as a couple of months. Not sure if the thread. More than likely a playstation blog numbers chart.

I can't see Activision letting Sony have the brand, and I don't really see Sony wanting to have it tbh. Crash should just be left in the 90's.

Tingle

The best way to entice interest and make a top end product is just to make something good and that people want. Going the route of Halo or titanfall and copying over proven sales topperw isnt the way.

You have to.take chances sometimes but you also just need to make something really good.

I know there was a new sly cooper on ps3 and it sold ok. The game was good but it wasnt that big or that in depth of a true Aaà game. And there were a lot of things that could have been better to make it a stand out title, including gameplay and visuals. It was more a budget production game but was still happy to get it.

"Just make it good" isn't much of an answer. Again, Tearaway is considered a great and unique game, but that didn't help it. They need a realistic way of selling a game, and just making a good game frequently doesn't do it. I think Crash is fairly unmarketable nowadays, even making a good game is possibly not enough.

Also, you have been mentioning that ND doesn't have much freedom due to making realistic games- but in your scenario, wouldn't they potentially have their freedom limited by being stuck with a franchise that they make a long, long time ago? Its basically a completely different studio at this point, I don't really see why they should have Crash forced onto them. If they have some grand idea for a platformer like you are assuming, why not just make a new franchise?

I'm sick of shooters and open world games. If developers keep making the same shit they will kill more developers and franchises. Tomb raider copying uncharted is yet another blemish to kill off the franchise. You guys should be begging for crash, Daytona or something different and a change imo

t26

Crash is always at the top in Europe for sales.

I believe Sony could find a deal Activision won't refuse. Sony needs to believe in it first.

Because people like Jason Rubin, Andy Gavin, and many key people that worked on Crash Bandicoot are no longer with Naughty Dog. Key members of current ND such as Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann had nothing to do with Crash 1-3.

neshcom

Banned
Yeah, OP, I agree with you. All it would take is Pixar-quality graphics, a hodgepodge of every Crash game ever made, an impossible licensing deal where--for some reason--Activision would put their property in the hands of a company that has said multiple times that they don't want to make Crash, and all the magical European Sale Charts to make a successful Crash game in 2015. Like, duh, just make an unrealistically perfect game no one is asking for.

crash-sony-playstation-teaser.jpg

Never forget.

Crash Bandicoot is pretty much the least important franchise in the world. Basically no one would pay $60 for a new Crash game no matter who made it.

Oh it could sell alright. Nostalgia alone could be the driving force for the game. The problem is, who's going to make? Because it sure as hell won't be ND.

"Just make it good" isn't much of an answer. Again, Tearaway is considered a great and unique game, but that didn't help it. They need a realistic way of selling a game, and just making a good game frequently doesn't do it. I think Crash is fairly unmarketable nowadays, even making a good game is possibly not enough.

Also, you have been mentioning that ND doesn't have much freedom due to making realistic games- but in your scenario, wouldn't they potentially have their freedom limited by being stuck with a franchise that they make a long, long time ago? Its basically a completely different studio at this point, I don't really see why they should have Crash forced onto them. If they have some grand idea for a platformer like you are assuming, why not just make a new franchise?
Tearaway is a good game but it hardly has anything there that stands out to make people want it. Visuals of Tearaway alone do make it a hard sell. Crash didn't have equal visuals at the time of its release. I admit that crash was a visual power and how it gained a lot of its appeal in the 90s. I'm not a guy that puts visuals first, one of my favorite games is sky odyssey and that is on pure design and gameplay.

But, top end visuals will need to play a part in it. It wouod fail with Tearaway visuals. I'm not even saying they are bad, the paper look is good but it's obviously closer to ps2.5 than anything ps4 can do.

The new ratchet looks good but kidding from a few other games we can go a lot harder and better.

Top Bottom