• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 defect thread

Argyle

OK, I'm not trying to stir anything up here, I'm just trying to get a feel for how many bad machines there are out there. To that end, I'd like everyone who has a 360 to reply and tell me if your machine is working correctly or not, especially those who have working machines, since the most vocal people are always the ones with defective machines...

My story first - between my friends and I, we bought 6 machines at the Zero Hour event. Of the 6, my machine has a dead hard drive, another machine is working but is rather flaky (seen some strange behavior - the drive may also be scratching discs, as my friend's copy of Condemned is now unplayably scratched, but we don't know if the drive caused it - the machine has also had problems booting games and being turned off...), one seems to be good, and I haven't heard yet about the status of the other three.

I'll also put some of the more common failures up here and (if possible) how to fix them yourself...

Lower right segment flashing red - Error code E67 - "Contact Xbox Customer Support" screen: You seem to have a bad hard drive. Remove the hard drive and see if the machine boots correctly without it. If it does, you'll need to replace your hard drive.

All four segments flashing red - no video: Hey! Plug in your video cable!

Xbox doesn't power on: Check the power brick. The light on it should be orange if in standby, green if the console is on. If the light is red, that means something bad has happened - try unplugging the power brick from the wall until the light fades out to reset it, then try plugging it in again to see if it will go into standby.

Three segments flashing red - no video: This is probably a power supply (low voltage) problem, people have reported fixing this by cleaning the contacts on the power brick. Don't forget to unplug everything before you start cleaning the contacts. :) Also check to make sure that the power supply cable is fully seated in the console, and check the color of the light on the power brick. You may be able to fix this yourself by unplugging the power supply from the wall for a few minutes and plugging it back in. This error also seems to occur if the wall power glitches or browns out (power outage seems to cause all but the upper right quadrant to flash)...

Two lights on left flashing red: Console is overheated, let it cool off before trying to play again, and see if you can place the console somewhere with better ventilation...

Error E71, E79: I haven't seen these myself, but I suspect these are caused by thermal problems from reading what people say about them...

Error E68: I am not sure what this is but I saw this once when I switched the video cable from HD to SD with the power on (got the error when the console rebooted)...it cleared up when I cycled the power, however.

Xbox refuses to be turned off (console powers down, then powers back on a few seconds later): My theory on this is that there is a microcontroller that controls power to the system. After certain events (like a firmware flash) the console will tell the microcontroller to power the system down, then power it back on. I think that somehow this chip can get confused into always powering the system back up when it's turned off. To fix this, turn the system off, and then disconnect the power cord from the back of the machine before it turns back on...this seemed to fix it for my friend, anyway. :)

If all else fails and you have to call Xbox customer service (1-800-4MY-XBOX):

If your console requires replacement, they'll send you a prepaid box, and they claim the turnaround on repairs is 3 days or less (not including transit time - you're overnighting your box to them, and they overnight it back).

If part of your console fails, they may simply send you a replacement, they now say that end users shouldn't have to mail stuff back on their own (despite what they told me earlier). If you do have to mail stuff back, they should send you a prepaid box...

If you guys have seen other problems or have a solution to a problem, post, and share it with the rest of us...hopefully it's just a small minority that is having trouble.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Honestly.. I've got a Xbox360 preorder, but I'm thinking about cancelling it. The last hours I've heard so much about different problems, and the fact that there's even lamps for telling when the machine get to hot is kinda worrying too. I'll probably wait a month or two extra, and hope for an updated version of XB360 before I buy it.

demi

ItsInMyVeins said:
Honestly.. I've got a Xbox360 preorder, but I'm thinking about cancelling it. The last hours I've heard so much about different problems, and the fact that there's even lamps for telling when the machine get to hot is kinda worrying too. I'll probably wait a month or two extra, and hope for an updated version of XB360 before I buy it.

SELL IT

No wait you're in Sveeden

SELL IT

itsinmyveins

demi said:
SELL IT

No wait you're in Sveeden

SELL IT

Hey, I haven't even bought one yet, I've just put down an order for it at EB. I don't HAVE to buy it still. And I probably won't. 4000 crowns (ca 484 USD) ain't something I'll pay for a "flaky machine" y'know :D

itsinmyveins

demi said:
No, but someone out there is willing to pay 8000 crowns (who knows USD) for one!

I'm too much of a nice guy to rip someone of like that :(

Besides, I doubt there will be any major shortage of XO's come releaseday here in Europe.

llTll

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Hey, I haven't even bought one yet, I've just put down an order for it at EB. I don't HAVE to buy it still. And I probably won't. 4000 crowns (ca 484 USD) ain't something I'll pay for a "flaky machine" y'know :D

crowns?

bwahahahahahaha :lol

sorry man, didnt mean to insult but i couldnt resisit. i never knew its called crowns before..

boha ha ha ha ha ha [ bleach style ]

on related topic. i am in the same way. i should get my cancel soon but i am afraid. i am going to wait a bit more i think.

in the main time, i hope sony show something withen this week or so [ i know i am dreaming ] to make me excited about ps3 [ as if i am not. mgs4 alone make me in between buying japanese ps3 or xbox 360 now. ]
if sony do that , man no more 360 lol [ unless ps3 sucks -_- ]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ItsInMyVeins said:

If its 'flaky', you don't have to keep it y'know - you take it back to the 'shop' and they 'replace' it. You can keep doing this until you get a non-'flaky' machine.

Of course, this may take until 2007, so patience will be required.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
llTll said:
crowns?

bwahahahahahaha :lol

sorry man, didnt mean to insult but i couldnt resisit. i never knew its called crowns before..

Yeah, the money is even shaped like little crowns. Can make it difficult to separate change out sometimes, the pointy bits can get tangled up in your pocket. And don't put any money in your back pocket and sit down suddenly - ouch.

Here are some 100 Crown pieces. They are the largest coin denomination

TMJ%20-%20Crown%20Earrings%20E819.jpg

llTll

Banned
mrklaw said:
Yeah, the money is even shaped like little crowns. Can make it difficult to separate change out sometimes, the pointy bits can get tangled up in your pocket. And don't put any money in your back pocket and sit down suddenly - ouch.

Here are some 100 Crown pieces. They are the largest coin denomination

TMJ%20-%20Crown%20Earrings%20E819.jpg

:lol

Inumaru

My X360 system seems to be working fine, but I did have a weird thing when I loaded Kameo for the first (four) time(s). The X360 went into DVD mode (apparently) and I got a message saying "to play this disc put it in an xbox 360 console". I figured I must have gotten a bad disc, and my google-ing of this phrase only revealed that this is the same message one might get if you stuck an X360 game into an Xbox (or a DVD player, I imagine). Anyway, I rebooted a few times, and on the fifth time, it worked fine. It's booted at least that many times without problem since. Kinda weird.

itsinmyveins

llTll said:

Dude, what the hell did you think it was called? "Swedish money"? Ô_ô

Sure, I could have said "kronor", but wtf, "crowns" and "kronor" means exactly the same thing.

Argyle

I'm glad that most people in here who have them seem to have working ones...I'm getting another one today, hopefully that one fares better than the first one I got...

gprime

Oh this sucks.

I am one of the people who got their 360 last week (the 14th). On this Canadian deal forum I'm usually on (where I found out about the contest) there were quite a few people talking about how messed up their xboxs were. I tested mine.. it worked perfectly... I thought I made it under the bar.

I guess not.

A week later of playing the 360 non-stop (and keeping it on a lot of the time -- I idle it like I would idle a computer), It seems today it has decided to mess itself up.

Playing Call of Duty 2 right now during my lunch break, I notice this sort of blue haze while I go into a dark tunnel. First I think.. cool... night vision?

No.. not night vision. The GPU is most likely overheating.

shots of the screen a week ago

shots of the screen today

Funny thing was, I was about to post in here just an hour ago to mark one up for the "perfect" pile. I guess you'll have to mark me up for defect one instead.

argon

gprime said:
Funny thing was, I was about to post in here just an hour ago to mark one up for the "perfect" pile. I guess you'll have to mark me up for defect one instead.

That really sucks.. =( Was it just that one time or is it consistently messing up now?

Argyle

krypt0nian said:
You wont get a "feel" by posting on GAF.

;)

So, does yours work or not? :)

Anecdotally, amongst my friends, we're looking at ~20% failure rate, which I refuse to believe is true. Maybe we're just unlucky, but I want to hear what other people's experiences are...

gprime

#1) Electricity is included in my rent. (.. Off switch? What off switch? ..)

#2) Yeah I thought it was a fluke the first time, so I went to play again, and as soon as the fans start to go on the 360, the graphics gradually start to mess up again.

So I'm leaving it off so it doesn't do any further damage.

PopfulMail

Argyle said:
Three segments flashing red - no video: This is probably a power supply problem, people have reported fixing this by cleaning the contacts on the power brick. Don't forget to unplug everything before you start cleaning the contacts. :)

Had this happen last night after only 30 minutes of play. Ended up talking to some dipshit tech support for over an hour and that only gave me a bigger headache. Comments such as "It will cost you $80 for us to fix it" and "How long have you had the system" were more than enough to make me want to reach through the phone and hit the moron.

After calming down, I decided to use the actual video cable that came with the system rather than the crapass pelican s-video cable I picked up... and everything worked fine. I assumed that my 360 didn't like the cable I had purchased so I returned it and got myself an official MS s-video cable during lunch today. I'll give the contacts a quick clean before I start playing tonight just in case.

Visigoth

Argyle said:
Xbox refuses to be turned off (console powers down, then powers back on a few seconds later): My theory on this is that there is a microcontroller that controls power to the system. After certain events (like a firmware flash) the console will tell the microcontroller to power the system down, then power it back on. I think that somehow this chip can get confused into always powering the system back up when it's turned off. To fix this, turn the system off, and then disconnect the power cord from the back of the machine before it turns back on...this seemed to fix it for my friend, anyway. :)

If you have a wireless controller plugged in via the play & charge cable, the Xbox goes into "charge mode" when the power button is pushed - as long as the controller needs to be charged. Basically, the box needs to be on to charge the devices, so charge mode is a very low-power mode of the Xbox. When the controller is fully charged, the Xbox will shut itself off fully.

Disclaimer: Microsoft is my employer. This post is provided as-is with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Klover

I haven't had any problems with the system with a lot of play over the last week. I have had two system crashes in PGR3, one of which I can reproduce (stupid software bugs).

My question for you guys is, has anyone else had any problems with the controller? The left side of the directional pad has been very spotty for me. One day it works fine, the next it doesn't register 75% of the presses I make in that direction. I've used batteries and switched over to the Play & Charge kit with no difference. The rest of the buttons are fine, just the stupid left side of the d-pad. I'm just dreading warranty service for a darn controller.

LakeEarth

My directional pad has sucked too. I complained on GAF but others said theirs was fine so I think we both just got bad luck. I'm gonna call Xbox about it once I have the time.

Tiktaalik

I've had it since Nov 15th. No issues. When I first got Project Gotham Racing 3 I played it for about 4 hours straight and the xbox is still ok, so I figure I got a good one.

knock on wood :\

Klover

vas said:
Aren't you contradicting yourself there?

System... as in the console (what everyone else is talking about).

It's not the hardware's fault that Bizarre has bugs in their code. I'm talking about reproducible software crashes in the game, not the console dying or putting artifacts on the screen.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Visigoth said:
Disclaimer: Microsoft is my employer. This post is provided as-is with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Damage control for reals.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I ran mine for about 9 hours straight yesterday - Madden, Condemned and CoD2. Everything works fine; although, to be honest, when the play selection pops up in Madden, there seems to be a loading pause, which can interrupt the after-play antics on the field. Has anyone else noticed this? Personally, I'm guessing it's just rushed software, seeing as this doesn't happen with Condemned or CoD2.

EGM92

Argyle said:
Three segments flashing red - no video: This is probably a power supply problem, people have reported fixing this by cleaning the contacts on the power brick. Don't forget to unplug everything before you start cleaning the contacts. :)

If you guys have seen other problems or have a solution to a problem, post, and share it with the rest of us...hopefully it's just a small minority that is having trouble.

I have this problem, is there any way to get info on how to clean it? I'm not sure what the hell "contacts" are exactly. I'd appreciate the help.

M3wThr33

Banned
Visigoth said:
If you have a wireless controller plugged in via the play & charge cable, the Xbox goes into "charge mode" when the power button is pushed - as long as the controller needs to be charged. Basically, the box needs to be on to charge the devices, so charge mode is a very low-power mode of the Xbox. When the controller is fully charged, the Xbox will shut itself off fully.

Are you the same guy as the Paint.NET developer or are you required to say that?

gprime

EGM92 said:
I have this problem, is there any way to get info on how to clean it? I'm not sure what the hell "contacts" are exactly. I'd appreciate the help.

The contacts are the metal parts that have to touch between the xbox and the power supply for the electricity to flow. I guess they aren't as clean as they could be.

Dalamar86

I'm having alot of freezing issues. The majority comes from Perfect Dark Zero. I cannot Complete the first mission or play a full round of multi-player without the damn game freezing. Everything else however has been running fine with the one exception of a single freeze from Madden near the end of the fourth quarter when I was playing against a friend.

I was winning too. :(

EGM92

I just fixed my xbox problem, I don't think it was a cleaning issue, more of the power cable, the head cannot be bent in any way or it won't make a connection with the female inputs....

OK WHILE WRITING THIS DURING THE DAMN INTRO FOR PD0 MY SCREEN JUST WENT BLUE WITH LINES GOING THROUGH IT AND IT SMELLS LIKE BURNED SILICON!

Top Bottom