• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 defect thread

fartblast

Banned
My Xbox stands vertically and I noticed on the right side where the vents are (top and bottom) that some of the holes don't show all the way through... is that intentional or what? It's like a hidden code or something to bust people who sell stolen Xboxes on Ebay.

My fan is faulty, makes horrible sirring noise. I have to firmly press the case to quiet it down. But I can live with it...I will take it to repair once there's more replacement Xboxens available.

Cooling fan from Pelican.

802176b.jpg

EGM92

Argyle said:
I am now really pissed off, as I just called Xbox customer service....

...turns out that now, the first person's story was correct, and they were supposed to mail me a new hard drive without receiving the old one. So I paid for shipping to mail my dead hard drive into a black hole.

In fact, they told me that end users aren't supposed to mail anything to them on their own, that they would always send out a prepaid box out if something needs to be sent back.

They started another fulfillment order and they say I should have the new hard drive by the end of the week. We shall see...I will update the original post with this info.

:lol :lol Send you the box by the end of the week? Goodluck with that! I've been waiting for over a fucking week. My PSU on the replacement they sent me is fuailty. Only one of the fans works and it's the one sucking air into it. and it gets so hot it can singe the hairs on your hands!.
They told me a box would be shipped out within 24hrs... This was on the 25th of November, since then they've fucked up 3 orders and 2 out of every 3 times I call they hang up on me while I'm on hold. I'm sick of waiting 50+ minutes to talk to someone then told to be placed on hold then mysteriously the line just disconnects.

This is the last straw, I'm selling my Xbox 360, I've already sold the games I bought over 2 weeks ago. DO NOT contact me about buying my X360, it's going to be placed on ebay around Xmas so I can price gauge some sorry idiot.

I wish you the best of luck with getting your new HDD.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
segatavis said:
Cooling fan from Pelican.

802176b.jpg

Wow that's pretty neat. If I stood my system up vertically, I'd probably get something like that, but I sit my system horizontally and just leave lots of room around it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've had the following defects so far:

1. Freezes when exiting game to Xbox Dashboard - 3 times, various games
2. Freezes in PGR3 game when loading up garage - 2 times
3. Unable to connect to custom games with Friends - always

Other thank that, nothing else. Well, actually that is quite much in my mind.

Jewbacca

Banned
18 Target Stores in the Houston Area and we have had 0 Defects with our display units which have a plastic caseing in the back, they are on 24/7 consistantly since launch. Ive seen one returned to our store and this was not from our initial shipment :D.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
According to my temp meassurement, my 360 is acually cooler than my (dusty) old launch day Xbox (which runs at around 50º C). :lol

Argyle

EGM92 said:
:lol :lol Send you the box by the end of the week? Goodluck with that! I've been waiting for over a fucking week. My PSU on the replacement they sent me is fuailty. Only one of the fans works and it's the one sucking air into it. and it gets so hot it can singe the hairs on your hands!.
They told me a box would be shipped out within 24hrs... This was on the 25th of November, since then they've fucked up 3 orders and 2 out of every 3 times I call they hang up on me while I'm on hold. I'm sick of waiting 50+ minutes to talk to someone then told to be placed on hold then mysteriously the line just disconnects.

This is the last straw, I'm selling my Xbox 360, I've already sold the games I bought over 2 weeks ago. DO NOT contact me about buying my X360, it's going to be placed on ebay around Xmas so I can price gauge some sorry idiot.

I wish you the best of luck with getting your new HDD.

Since the story changes every time I call customer support, I've decided to call them every day until I get some satisfaction. It's been over two weeks after launch and that HDD has never worked, this is seriously fucked up for this not to be resolved yet...

fse

just got an E 68 trying to boot up PDZ. Turned it off then on and its normal. WTF was E 68? :lol

fse

DCharlie said:
Microsoft Error manual : E68 - user almost performed simultaneous oral sex with partner whilst taking designer drug. Suggest action : cool shower, reboot.

Ah hah! :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
King Kong started Echoing terribly, I saved it and shut it down for a bit. Could easily have been the game.

Other then that no issues so far, I did mail/buy the Extended Warenty Paper, so I really don't care.

fartblast

Banned
fartblast said:
My Xbox stands vertically and I noticed on the right side where the vents are (top and bottom) that some of the holes don't show all the way through... is that intentional or what? It's like a hidden code or something to bust people who sell stolen Xboxes on Ebay.

can someone please spare a split second of their time by looking at the right side of their 360

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
f_elz said:
I dunno if I should extend my warrenty :| :(

Its $59 for 2 years, which is actually a fairly good deal for a $400 system

I'm fairly sure that mine will be used within the 2 years

fse

fartblast said:
can someone please spare a split second of their time by looking at the right side of their 360

same here, all of them have some closed holes I guess.

Argyle

f_elz said:
just got an E 68 trying to boot up PDZ. Turned it off then on and its normal. WTF was E 68? :lol

I think I put it in the original post...not sure exactly what it means, but I've seen it when I have the machine on and I switch the video mode (HDTV/SDTV) on the video cable - occasionally I've seen this error after the system reboots. If you power cycle the machine it has always cleared up for me.

mosaic

go eat paint
I think E 68 is "Oh snap, some fatty just didn't recognize Yu Suzuki's genius with Shenmue. Am I rite? Sailors FTW"

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
f_elz said:
I dunno if I should extend my warrenty :| :(

I did almost immediately. It starts at the end of your 90 day warranty and MS will upgrade your system if needed if it is in for service.

Rockman

Sorry to hear alot of you are having problems getting a replacement system. My replacement came in fairly quick. I haven't had time to play it much so I can't say wether or not it has any problems but time will tell.

My freezing history.

1 time in RR6 online. Never in single player (yet)
2 times in PGR3, usually in the menus
1 time in King Kong, in the middle of a heated battle :(

I'm thinking about going ahead and calling the 1800FIXMYSHIT number, but I've got a question for those that have done it already. Do you have to send in everything, including the power brick and HD, or just the system itself? I'm worried about them replacing my unit with a new one, and I lose all my save games.

fse

DenogginizerOS said:
I did almost immediately. It starts at the end of your 90 day warranty and MS will upgrade your system if needed if it is in for service.

the paper says expires in 10 days... is it like over now? :(

White Man

My system died today. System Error 74. I have to send it in for repairs.

:(

I'm pretty peeved about this. I was playing XBL Arcade last night, and everything was going fine. I turned it back on this morning, and the error screen immediately popped up. Smash TV was apparently too much for my 360 to handle.

My 360 was in a well-ventilated area and my power supply was not on the floor. I was told, on the phone, that my hard drive was likely damaged during whatever the hell happened, and I'd probably lose the XBL Arcade content that I had purchased, which kind of pissed me off.

Argyle

It is now approaching three weeks since Xbox 360 launch, and I still haven't received a replacement hard drive.

I called last night and I found out that all the previous fulfillment orders were placed under my Xbox Live account and not my Xbox 360, which is why nothing ever happened.

I got a new order in and hopefully they should ship out a drive for me on Monday...although my many conversations with their customer service have been pleasant and professional, I can't help but think that this whole experience has been a total clusterfuck. (It really shouldn't take three weeks for me to get a replacement hard drive.)

White Man said:
My system died today. System Error 74. I have to send it in for repairs.

:(

I'm pretty peeved about this. I was playing XBL Arcade last night, and everything was going fine. I turned it back on this morning, and the error screen immediately popped up. Smash TV was apparently too much for my 360 to handle.

My 360 was in a well-ventilated area and my power supply was not on the floor. I was told, on the phone, that my hard drive was likely damaged during whatever the hell happened, and I'd probably lose the XBL Arcade content that I had purchased, which kind of pissed me off.

That sucks :( I think the XBL Marketplace stuff is tied to your XBL account, right? So I bet you can just download it again without buying it again...

...on the other hand, if you don't back up your save games...:(

If E74 is what I think it is, I'm not sure it's a hard drive problem - I think it might be a system initialization failure and it's probably a problem with your system's motherboard.

White Man said:
I was told, on the phone, that my hard drive was likely damaged during whatever the hell happened, and I'd probably lose the XBL Arcade content that I had purchased, which kind of pissed me off.

They need to keep records of what you've purchased under your XBL account and allow you to re-download it (using some type of service key code they give you with your replacement/repaired drive, or something), specifically because of things like this. If this is how they're handling XBL paid-for content when something goes wrong with the HDD, then I'm going to be very wary of buying content on XBL. Imagine if you had $50 worth of purchases stored there when this happened.

Eel O'Brian said:
They need to keep records of what you've purchased under your XBL account and allow you to re-download it (using some type of service key code they give you with your replacement/repaired drive, or something), specifically because of things like this. If this is how they're handling XBL paid-for content when something goes wrong with the HDD, then I'm going to be very wary of buying content on XBL. Imagine if you had $50 worth of purchases stored there when this happened.

That's exactly what they do. Marketplace purchases are tied to your account, so if you have a different HD, you can just download any purchase you previously made free of charge.

White Man

heavy liquid said:
That's exactly what they do. Marketplace purchases are tied to your account, so if you have a different HD, you can just download any purchase you previously made free of charge.

Yeah, I think he was just saying that I'd have to redownload the stuff, but he said it in a rather unclear fashion.

I was just shocked that the system was working perfectly fine, without a hitch, with no symptoms of a problem less than 12 hours earlier. My unit was running fine up until this point. It was quiet, damaged no discs, and never once froze. I figured 2 weeks in, I had made it past the period where defects would show themselves. Then my 360 had a bout of crib death.

Argyle

Super awesome. Still no tracking number. They say my order was likely processed today and should be shipped tomorrow - I guess I'll call back tomorrow and see.

fse

Anyone know if I can still send the form for a 3 year extention to my warrenty? Or am I SOL.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
PGR3 locked up 3 times since I've owned it, and cause me to have to restart the system to solve it. Happened after a race when it was loading the online mode, and the other 2 times has been just navigating the menus.

All 3 times, I had music streaming, so I dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Pachinko

It definetly seems problems are in the minority although in whitemans case that seems very inexplicable. I foresee future hardware revisions recommending a 1 hour break for every 3 hours of play in the instruction booklet or some shit like that.

In defect related news on my front- my friends 360 has had frequent crashes , ALL of them caused by live connecting and the connection in the house , being wireless and all, gets dropped momentarilly. Doesn't seem to matter what he does , dashboard surfing, gaming whatever, if the internet connection is dropped while the system is signed into live it hangs or crashes. It's fixed easily with a hard reboot but nonetheless it does happen.

This past weekend he had the system upright PS2 style instead of laying flat and the GPU overheated during splitscreen perfect dark zero , the system was running in 720P , wether that has anything to do with it who knows. I just noticed the white static and blue halo effect on everything so we shut 'er down for a couple hours. Maybe it's just me but it seems the thing can't cool itself properly when upright, it's noiser as well.

EGM92

Last night I gave them a call to check out the status of my return box. I finally talked to a male tech rep. He checked the status, it was shipped out... but lost in transit, the dumb girl spelled my city name Brampton with an N so it was sent to.. Branpton, even though I went over the name 3 times letter by letter just in case she got it wrong when typing but I guess that was too hard for her. Thanksfully he was VERY curtious, instead of sending in my Xbox again and having to wait, I'm recieving an HDD a PSU & Component/AV cables without having to return my old ones because of the serious 2 week inconvience. He marked them all as "Missing" like they were never inside the box when I purchased it :D

Unfortunately I called 2 minutes after 3pm, and thats when orders stop being shipped out and carry onto the next day so it should be here tomorrow morning.

Suikoguy

f_elz said:
Anyone know if I can still send the form for a 3 year extention to my warrenty? Or am I SOL.

You should be fine, nowhere on the form does it have purchase date or require you to send in to receipt (which I found strange). Send it in anyway, the worst they can do is decline it.

EGM92

Well it's now Wednesday, and still no delivery... I'm getting VERY pissed off because the guy promised it would be here by 10am Wednesday at the lastest. It's now 1:30 and if it's not here by 5 i'm going to bitch and bitch till I get my way.

Argyle

ARRRRGGGHH

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT

OK, now I'm REALLY pissed. I just got off the phone with them and now they are saying the hard drive order will take a week to be fulfilled.

Unfortunately this is a week from last Friday or so, when my order finally got put under an Xbox 360 and not an Xbox Live account...too bad I'm leaving for the holidays, which basically means that I won't be seeing this hard drive until the middle of next month.

It shouldn't take a month for me to get a new hard drive! They've had the old one for TWO WEEKS now...argh!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Mine's going in as soon as I call. Half the time I turn it on and get the power but no video/audio problem. I also have gotten the lower right hand red light error a couple times.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Called it in. I was pretty pleased, they did not question me much at all. I assume a lot of them are doing the "power but no video" trick. The box should be here in a day or 2.

EGM92

I called in for the final time today. After almost a MONTH since launch. I sitll have no recieved my PSU unit. They have given me the run around. Broken promises, broken shipping dates. MAKING ME PAY to send in the FUCKING PSU after 30 days of waiting for my replacement to it. Being hung up on 4 times by the stupid bitches that work there and twice by the supervisors it's the final straw.

The last supervisor I talked to told me that their tech reps were "misinformed" and gave me "misinformation" about the status of my package because there is no real way to track it.... yea OK fucking idiot basically he's saying they lied and is trying to cover their asses. After being on hold for over 2hrs total, and waiting for the super to come back on the line, he tells me this BS that I will have to pay for the PSU.

Well I told him to fuck off, he told me to calm down and I just kept swearing made me feel big! lol he was speechless "Sir I understand you are very aggrivated at the moment but you do not have to use that kind of language with me, I'm trying to do my very best to help you." then I replied YOUR VERY BEST?! YOUR VERY BEST WOULD TO GET A FUCKING PSU OUT RIGHT NOW TO ME WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED BECAUSE OF ALL THIS BULLSHIT, I WON'T BE PLAYING ANYTHING OVER MY CHRISTMAS BREAK, SIR THANK YOU FOR YOU "HELP" GOOD DAY, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GO FUCK YOURSELF, expect someone to contact you later on.

Luckily I have a couple of buddies that work at the BBB, they're adding my case to a file that they already have with their shotty business practices. I recoreded all of my phone conversations with the reps and even the supervisors.

If anyone wants to buy a X360 PM me, make me an offer No lowballing. I'll include a metal carrying case, badges, CD, pen & Tshirt to the highest bidder! I'd rather deal locally. The console still works, the PSU still "works" but you have to straighten the PSU cord completely to get to work properly. I'll even add PD0 and + one free game once it comes.

Suikoguy

Wow what a horror story EGM92.

They actually, at the end, wanted you to PAY for a new PSU?

I think I would have went off the deep end too after all of that. Recording the conversations definitly ended up being worth it in that case.

SuperPac

EGM92 said:
If anyone wants to buy a X360 PM me, make me an offer No lowballing. I'll include a metal carrying case, badges, CD, pen & Tshirt to the highest bidder! I'd rather deal locally. The console still works, the PSU still "works" but you have to straighten the PSU cord completely to get to work properly. I'll even add PD0 and + one free game once it comes.

I'm sorry, but didn't you win two Xbox 360s and totally lord it over people on this board and your friend n' stuff? And now you want to sell a busted-up system you got for free, "no low-balling"? I don't mean to laugh, but... ha!

EGM92

Suikoguy said:
Wow what a horror story EGM92.

They actually, at the end, wanted you to PAY for a new PSU?

I think I would have went off the deep end too after all of that. Recording the conversations definitly ended up being worth it in that case.

After a month of waiting and broken promises they wanted me to pay 20$ to ship it back to them wait 4 business days to get my new PSU.

The last tech tep I talked to PROMISED me he would send a new PSU out without having to return the old one. He said he was going to mark it as a "No PSU in Box" so it was like I never received one with my X360. Luckily I have that conversation recorded, I even asked him "Are you allowedto do that?" and he replied in certain circumstances we are. and this is one of them. He was a really cool guy... and I know where he lives lol.

But the way the supervisors treated me and hung up on me I just couldn't take it, MS can go fuck themselves with their piece of shit console.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mine seems fine so far, after a day of relatively heavy use. I keep the power BRICK on the window sill of a rather drafty window that constantly greets NY's worst in cold weather. I keep the system horizontally aligned, ON TOP my entertainment center, not inside one of the shelves. Wireless controller, so I'm not worried about it falling. Neither the Xbox nor the BRICK get particularly hot, even after hours of play.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Mine froze up once while playing Perfect Dark Zero and twice while playing Hexic HD. I'm guessing its a hard drive issue but I don't know for certain. My other games (PGR3, Condemned, Kameo, COD2) have been fine.

I also noticed that the system and psu don't get nearly as hot now as they did when I first got it. Maybe that's the fan breaking in?

I've had mine since Nov 19th.

Jeff-DSA

I watched a demo unit die at Target on Saturday. I went to play the King Kong demo and the screen went crazy for a second. After waiting for about 15 seconds I realized that it wasn't loading up a level and I looked down at the 360. The red lights of doom were dancing around so I calmy put down the controller and backed away.

Klover

I just wanted to mirror EGM92's experiences a little.

As I posted earlier, on my wireless controller, the left side of my control pad would work fine more than half the time, but it would require multiple button presses to register the rest of the time. However, all the buttons/sticks/triggers worked flawlessly. I got tired of the control pad with menus and arcade games, so I called up MS around the 25-26 of November. After being put on hold far too often, the guy said they would have a box sent to me in a "couple" of days that I could ship my controller back in.

Since they refused to send me a new one first, I went out and bought a wired controller so that I wouldn't be stuck with a big white doorstop/space heater for a week. Aside from the fact that the PC drivers for the controller are horrible, this wired controller had, amazingly enough, the same problem. The control pad would work most of the time, but on this one, the right side of the pad wouldn't register input sometimes. It had problems less frequently than the wireless one, but it's still pissing me off.

Either way, after a week, I still hadn't gotten my box. I call up MS again and ask what is going on. Give them the reference number and they say that no box was ever sent out. So now I'm going to have to wait a few more days to get my box. Well, I waited two more weeks and still no box. I call up again and get routed to some lady who is supposedly a supervisor. She tells me that no box was ever sent out because it is not their policy to send out boxes to customers to get warranty replacement. She said I would have to pay to ship my controller to them, and it would take an unknown amount of time for them to replace my controller. Yeah... thanks a lot MS.

Fast-forward to this week, and I figured I'd move to Plan B. I bought a new wireless controller at the store. I get it home, turn on the system and just try to navigate to blades and dashboard keyboard. The control pad on this controller is the worst of my three. All directions are missing inputs, and missing them much more frequently than my other two. Amazingly enough, the feedback on the triggers was much weaker on this controller than the other two. That controller went right back to the store with a complete refund.

I don't know what I have to do to get a decent controller. Three out of three is too much to be a coincidence. Hell, I have TI99 and Atari 2600 joysticks from the 70's that still work perfectly. The only thing I can figure is that most people use the sticks to move around menus and play the arcade games. Maybe after a big game that uses the control pad comes out (DOA4) more people will see the issue. Either way, I give a strike against $50 controllers that don't work perfectly, and a strike against MS Warranty Service that doesn't know what it is doing.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Klover said:
I just wanted to mirror EGM92's experiences a little.

As I posted earlier, on my wireless controller, the left side of my control pad would work fine more than half the time, but it would require multiple button presses to register the rest of the time. However, all the buttons/sticks/triggers worked flawlessly. I got tired of the control pad with menus and arcade games, so I called up MS around the 25-26 of November. After being put on hold far too often, the guy said they would have a box sent to me in a "couple" of days that I could ship my controller back in.

Since they refused to send me a new one first, I went out and bought a wired controller so that I wouldn't be stuck with a big white doorstop/space heater for a week. Aside from the fact that the PC drivers for the controller are horrible, this wired controller had, amazingly enough, the same problem. The control pad would work most of the time, but on this one, the right side of the pad wouldn't register input sometimes. It had problems less frequently than the wireless one, but it's still pissing me off.

Either way, after a week, I still hadn't gotten my box. I call up MS again and ask what is going on. Give them the reference number and they say that no box was ever sent out. So now I'm going to have to wait a few more days to get my box. Well, I waited two more weeks and still no box. I call up again and get routed to some lady who is supposedly a supervisor. She tells me that no box was ever sent out because it is not their policy to send out boxes to customers to get warranty replacement. She said I would have to pay to ship my controller to them, and it would take an unknown amount of time for them to replace my controller. Yeah... thanks a lot MS.

Fast-forward to this week, and I figured I'd move to Plan B. I bought a new wireless controller at the store. I get it home, turn on the system and just try to navigate to blades and dashboard keyboard. The control pad on this controller is the worst of my three. All directions are missing inputs, and missing them much more frequently than my other two. Amazingly enough, the feedback on the triggers was much weaker on this controller than the other two. That controller went right back to the store with a complete refund.

I don't know what I have to do to get a decent controller. Three out of three is too much to be a coincidence. Hell, I have TI99 and Atari 2600 joysticks from the 70's that still work perfectly. The only thing I can figure is that most people use the sticks to move around menus and play the arcade games. Maybe after a big game that uses the control pad comes out (DOA4) more people will see the issue. Either way, I give a strike against $50 controllers that don't work perfectly, and a strike against MS Warranty Service that doesn't know what it is doing.

Damn, that's just nuts. Methinks both you and EGM92 should contact the Better Business Bureau and have them get involved.

Top Bottom