• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 defect thread

ItsInMyVeins said:
Honestly.. I've got a Xbox360 preorder, but I'm thinking about cancelling it. The last hours I've heard so much about different problems, and the fact that there's even lamps for telling when the machine get to hot is kinda worrying too. I'll probably wait a month or two extra, and hope for an updated version of XB360 before I buy it.

you shouldn't have a problem if you follow the leader...

coldroominterior1vm.jpg

:lol

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm too much of a nice guy to rip someone of like that :(

Besides, I doubt there will be any major shortage of XO's come releaseday here in Europe.

According to the place I used to work for their preliminary number of units they're getting are a whooping ~800 premium packs and 335 cores on launch. :lol
Currently there's an abundance of all accessories available aswell already in their warehouse. No shortage in sight at the moment.

scarybore

EGM92 said:
I just fixed my xbox problem, I don't think it was a cleaning issue, more of the power cable, the head cannot be bent in any way or it won't make a connection with the female inputs....

OK WHILE WRITING THIS DURING THE DAMN INTRO FOR PD0 MY SCREEN JUST WENT BLUE WITH LINES GOING THROUGH IT AND IT SMELLS LIKE BURNED SILICON!

I imagine you are having a great time :(

After getting my pre-order cancelled from Game's online store, im seriously contemplating waiting a few months to see if this blows over. Obviously with the Internet so popular now a days we will hear more launch probems than in the past but all the same, I find it all rather worrying with the issues that are popping up.

gprime

EGM92 said:
I just fixed my xbox problem, I don't think it was a cleaning issue, more of the power cable, the head cannot be bent in any way or it won't make a connection with the female inputs....

OK WHILE WRITING THIS DURING THE DAMN INTRO FOR PD0 MY SCREEN JUST WENT BLUE WITH LINES GOING THROUGH IT AND IT SMELLS LIKE BURNED SILICON!

Does it look like this?

^ Mine did this randomly twice today. And then it didn't do it again.

EGM92

Deathcraze said:
I imagine you are having a great time :(

After getting my pre-order cancelled from Game's online store, im seriously contemplating waiting a few months to see if this blows over. Obviously with the Internet so popular now a days we will hear more launch probems than in the past but all the same, I find it all rather worrying with the issues that are popping up.

oh yea great time, the fucking X360 is gone, won't even turn on anymore, but the PSU light turns green. It's ok though, my return box will be here at 10am tomorrow and it will be shipped out 24 shipping, and I'll get my new x360 the next day or the day after. I'm just glad I didn't buy this peice of shit console.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So is it all ATI's fault? The heat, I mean. I've been told they have had some heating issues with their latet PC video cards and wonder if that's anything to do with the whole Xbox 360 overheating thing.

gprime

TTP said:
So is it all ATI's fault? The heat, I mean. I've been told they have had some heating issues with their latet PC video cards and wonder if that's anything to do with the whole Xbox 360 overheating thing.

Well my GPU definitely overheated. So it wouldn't surprise me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gprime said:
Well my GPU definitely overheated. So it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, I saw your photos. Scary stuff. It indeed looks like some kind of thermal vision as u said. Too bad it's a thermal problem instead.

EGM92

gprime said:
Does it look sort of like mine did this afternoon? see here

no those are artifacts on the screen... that's bad the gfx card is overheating or something if that's happening. It looks more like this
untitled10nz.jpg

It's a goner my Xbox is literally DEAD! my girlfriend came into my room and is spraying air freshioner cause it smells so bad!

scarybore

EGM92 said:
no those are artifacts on the screen... that's bad the gfx card is overheating or something if that's happening. It looks more like this
untitled10nz.jpg

It's a goner my Xbox is literally DEAD! my girlfriend came into my room and is spraying air freshioner cause it smells so bad!

Holy shit :lol I feel for you, but as you said atleast you didn't pay for it so it's not all bad. The guys who waited 12 hours in a line outside Walmart or where ever and came home with a defective system must be fucking livid.

EGM92

Deathcraze said:
Holy shit :lol I feel for you, but as you said atleast you didn't pay for it so it's not all bad. The guys who waited 12 hours in a line outside Walmart or where ever and came home with a defective system must be fucking livid.

I spent over 350$CAD on games yesterday expecting to play them as it's my week off. But the day before that some fucker broke into my house and stole my Kameo, CoD2, and PD0 so it's a string of badluck.

OH and sorry about the large image, I CAN'T EDIT MY POSTS SO LIVE WITH IT. or if a mod can see it, give me back my editing privilages or remove it yourself.
Thanks.

scarybore

EGM92 said:
I spent over 350$CAD on games yesterday expecting to play them as it's my week off. But the day before that some fucker broke into my house and stole my Kameo, CoD2, and PD0 so it's a string of badluck.

Ouch :( Worst gaming week ever for you then, I probably would have turned into a homicidal maniac if all this shit happened to me.

EGM92

Jerkface said:
What did you clean your power contacts with?

I didn't clean anything, it didn't need "cleaning" it needed to be straightened out. The head of the cable and the cable needed to be straight, it worked like that. But like I said a couple of seconds after BOOM. So I suggest you call MS and tell them to send you a return box.

Argyle

So this is interesting...

I got my second Xbox 360 today, and it works perfectly. A bunch of my friends all got 360s at the same place, and none of them are having problems, as far as I can tell (we're talking about an all-encompassing sample size of 5 units here)...

All the machines we got here are from the same batch, and were made around 11/11-12. The machines we got at Zero Hour were all made in October.

A quick look at the Xbox.com forum (sorry, no link - they seem to be down right now) shows that someone started a thread to see if there was a pattern, and the overwhelming majority of people who were having problems had machines made in October. (Of course, this could also be because the overwhelming majority of people who have 360s have machines that were made in October...)

So...it's possible that newer production runs are more reliable. Your mileage may, of course, vary. For those who have busted machines, post your manufacture date, maybe there is a pattern to be found...

Argyle

OK, so I am now rather upset with MS's customer service.

I called last week and they told me they would ship me a replacement hard drive...

Today, I called back because I wanted to see if it had shipped yet. Turns out that they didn't have their shit together and they told me that now I had to send the drive back to them before they would ship me a replacement drive. Fair enough, but I'm pissed that they didn't tell me last week so I could take care of it! I couldn't even ship it today because I didn't bring the drive with me to work...

Apparently if your entire console fails, they will ship you a prepaid box to put the console in, so you don't have to pay shipping at all. If part of the console fails - you have to ship it to them on your own dime. :(

I'm going to update the original post with this info, so that people know what to expect when calling customer service.

Jeff-DSA

My 360 clicks pretty loudly when the drive is spinning at full speed. It's starting to worry me quite a bit...

Also, I've had a couple lockups with PDZ, but I'm more suspicious of the software than the hardware on that one.

Fowler

My uncle bought his system with me... and his disc drive was broken. It kept giving either dirty disc errors, or about five minutes into the game it would say that the game was from the wrong region (which it obviously isn't). The first thing the store said was that it was a power problem, but it definitely wasn't, and after showing them that it wasn't they swapped it on the spot for a 360 that works fine (for now).

FYI, the faulty unit was manufactured on the 2nd of November.

ShowDog

Jeff-DSA said:
My 360 clicks pretty loudly when the drive is spinning at full speed. It's starting to worry me quite a bit...

My dreamcast drive used to click when playing Soul Calibur, it just reminded me of that. I wonder what does it? It used to worry me too, until the drive eventually died (about 3 years later, don't worry :D )

Ryo

My dreamcast drive used to click when playing Soul Calibur, it just reminded me of that. I wonder what does it? It used to worry me too, until the drive eventually died (about 3 years later, don't worry )

Soul Calibur was nasty to the drive.. It was reading the whole time. Making quite a ruckus =)

modojojo

Argyle said:
OK, so I am now rather upset with MS's customer service.

I called last week and they told me they would ship me a replacement hard drive...

Today, I called back because I wanted to see if it had shipped yet. Turns out that they didn't have their shit together and they told me that now I had to send the drive back to them before they would ship me a replacement drive. Fair enough, but I'm pissed that they didn't tell me last week so I could take care of it! I couldn't even ship it today because I didn't bring the drive with me to work...

Apparently if your entire console fails, they will ship you a prepaid box to put the console in, so you don't have to pay shipping at all. If part of the console fails - you have to ship it to them on your own dime. :(

I'm going to update the original post with this info, so that people know what to expect when calling customer service.

Yeah It seems MS customer service Is run by idiots. I had to get In there ass as well, I to called In for replacement hard drive only to have the rep take my information....put me on hold .....take more information......put me back on hold (this time I hear him talking to someone In the background).....take more info......back on hold again ....comes back(now I have been on the line close to 20min) and Is about to wrap up my replacement order, when to my astonishment he tells me "Uh we don't have any hard drives currently in stock you have to call back next week. Man was I pissed, I asked him why should I have to call you back, you just took all my info just send It to me when you get It. He told me we can't do that because you need a reference number and we can't give you a number unless we have a hard drive. I told him you should've knew this shit before you started taking all my info. obviously I hung up the phone In disgust. I called back 5min later hoping to get the same fool, instead I got some poor lady. I felt bad because I ripped into her like she did something wrong but the end result Is there sending me a box for me to send my hard drive back then they will either send me a brand new one or fix mine.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Fowler said:
My uncle bought his system with me... and his disc drive was broken. It kept giving either dirty disc errors, or about five minutes into the game it would say that the game was from the wrong region (which it obviously isn't). The first thing the store said was that it was a power problem, but it definitely wasn't, and after showing them that it wasn't they swapped it on the spot for a 360 that works fine (for now).

FYI, the faulty unit was manufactured on the 2nd of November.

What store had a replcement unit?

StRaNgE

Banned
so i am out at the bar playing ppol with some friends last night and the 360 came up in conversation. the waitress over hears us and says" oh you got one?" and quickly jumps in with "you know those were recalled." i play along and say whys that? she proceeds to bring up the one problem i have actually had, she says "because they are freezing up on people."

now i have yet to hear anything about a recall but it was odd to hear some random casual gamer know about the lock ups.

StRaNgE said:
so i am out at the bar playing ppol with some friends last night and the 360 came up in conversation. the waitress over hears us and says" oh you got one?" and quickly jumps in with "you know those were recalled." i play along and say whys that? she proceeds to bring up the one problem i have actually had, she says "because they are freezing up on people."

now i have yet to hear anything about a recall but it was odd to hear some random casual gamer know about the lock ups.

Its possible she heard it on the news and assumed they had a recall.

i dont know if this has been asked, but are there any reports of tard packs being defective.

that would be funny as hell if the cores had no problems and only premiums were messing up

this might seem like a strange question, but i figured i'd ask anyway:

for those with defective systems, what state do you live in? i havent heard of any defective units around here, but i would be lying if i said i wasnt concerned for the xbox360 i get for christmas...

EGM92

viper60782 said:
this might seem like a strange question, but i figured i'd ask anyway:

for those with defective systems, what state do you live in? i havent heard of any defective units around here, but i would be lying if i said i wasnt concerned for the xbox360 i get for christmas...

I'm in Canada. I won one defective X360, and got one replaced with a brand new DEFECTIVE X360 from MS that won't read ANY disks, whether it be audio/dvd/ games etc. Everytime I pop in a disk it tells me that the disk could not be read and it could be 1 of 3 problems etc.

I'm SUPER pissed off cause I called in on Friday about this problem and they said they'd overnight ship a box to send it back, well its Wednesday and I'm almost 100% postive they've fucked up again even though everything was "confirmed and ready to go"

Bildocube

My 360 is defective... here is the e-mail I just shot off to Customer Support:

When I first powered on the XBox 360 when purchasing it on Nov. 22nd, it only "sort of" powered, the light would come on the console's LED but it wouldn't assign a player position to the wireless controller, with no display or sound. It still does this after the 360 has been off for a fair amount of time, and is correctable by powering it off and back on again immediately after the first failed attempt at booting. Sometimes it will boot the first time showing a display of the "Contact Customer Support" in various languages with the error code E73. Every time so far this problem has been corrected by just turning the console off and then turning it back on again. It's a minor problem to me, and as long as my 360 doesn't totally stop working (and the possibility of losing my HD data (Marketplace downloads and game saves)) I can overlook it. But I'm curious as to what this means, when the system doesn't boot the first time despite having the ring of light LED turn on (with no quadrants lit, and controller unassigned) as well as the meaning of the error code E73.

Anybody got a clue what E73 means?

Anyone got any idea what Error 64 Is? Got mine yesterday plugged everything in, turned it on, splash screen comes up then It just error 64 with a single red light flashing in the bottom right corner. Tried Taking of the HDD but still no joy?

Have done and all I get is "we will call you back" which they don`t. Think I might just get a refund and wait till they sort out all the bugs in the unit before buying another as I had this when I 1st brought an xbox at launch but only then It was disc read errors and scratching my discs and the harddrive being slow and noisy compared to the later ones.

Argyle

Yeah, single red light is I think "general hardware failure"...don't know what E64 is, I'm afraid.

You know, my gut feeling is that around 3-5% of the machines are bad...I know they're claiming less than 3% failure rate, but just amongst the people I know...the failure rate is over 10% :p

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Bildocube said:
My 360 is defective... here is the e-mail I just shot off to Customer Support:

Anybody got a clue what E73 means?

Bildo, did you get a response? This is the same issue I have had, and would love to know what the deal is. ALso great to know I'm not alone.

My wife turned it on and said she got an error code 74 as well... anyone know what this is?

I initially thought these reports were being blown out of proportion, but not anymore. This is a terrible showing by MS. I don't know if I want the 2 year warranty. Technically it is more than 10 days after I bought it, but I might send it in anyway. I should not have to pay an additional $60 for a new $400 piece of hardware though, it's really f'd up.

Jeff-DSA

StRaNgE said:

The 360 came up in one of my college classes and the teacher mentioned that he had heard of the 360s having tons of problems. After he mentioned that like six or seven people related stories of knowing people who had theirs break down.

The 360 is getting a nasty rep out there for being unreliable. MS would be smart to kiss some serious booty of those having trouble so their customer service doesn't look bad at the same time. No casual buyer will buy something that is said to be faulty and backed up with poor customer service.

With that said, mine stopped clicking completely and hasn't had any sorts of problem since. :D

StRaNgE

Banned
Mines frozen up now twice in PDZ and once in PGR3

sorta how a PC will just lock up on a screen and go nowhere.

a off and on again fixes it but hopefully it's a software thing.

i would assume MS will let out some patches at some point?

gunna go see if i can exchange my second wirless today if walmart has got any in yet.

Argyle

StRaNgE said:
Mines frozen up now twice in PDZ and once in PGR3

sorta how a PC will just lock up on a screen and go nowhere.

a off and on again fixes it but hopefully it's a software thing.

i would assume MS will let out some patches at some point?

gunna go see if i can exchange my second wirless today if walmart has got any in yet.

There was some discussion in the COD2 bug thread about how there might be a problem with the system software that causes the machine to lock if you're signed into XBL and then your internet connection goes down. How reliable is your connection?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
EGM92 said:
oh yea great time, the fucking X360 is gone, won't even turn on anymore, but the PSU light turns green. It's ok though, my return box will be here at 10am tomorrow and it will be shipped out 24 shipping, and I'll get my new x360 the next day or the day after. I'm just glad I didn't buy this peice of shit console.

It's called Karma, that's what you get for winning TWO!

Argyle

I am now really pissed off, as I just called Xbox customer service....

...turns out that now, the first person's story was correct, and they were supposed to mail me a new hard drive without receiving the old one. So I paid for shipping to mail my dead hard drive into a black hole.

In fact, they told me that end users aren't supposed to mail anything to them on their own, that they would always send out a prepaid box out if something needs to be sent back.

They started another fulfillment order and they say I should have the new hard drive by the end of the week. We shall see...I will update the original post with this info.

Top Bottom