• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you like Dooms music? (wanna know why?) / Send a message in a bottle

!!!

http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/doomcovers/

calum.jpg

LakeEarth

ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah the "them bones"
Wait, I always thought the Doom 2 songs, ID actually got permission from the bands. I have no proof, they're just so EXACTLY like the song they had to have had permission for it :lol

Anyanka

Well they're not thanked in the credits or anything, so I think Id just ripped them off.

You'd never be able to get away with that today.

LakeEarth

For sure. I can't believe they got away with Them Bones, that one is from beginning to end the exact same song. Same with Angry Chair. At least the Doom 1 ones, they just ripped off a riff which isn't THAT bad.

Gattsu25

Banned
Doom music was great....I thought

now I feel betrayed...ROCK AND ROLL??

bullshit...I hate Doom music now

edit: that explains why some of the alice in chains songs sounded so DAMN FAMILIAR :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
wow.

talk about major ripoff! I don't listen to any of those bands really which is why i never noticed, but damn!

Anyanka

Doom started out as a small independant project that wasn't even sold at retail. Id probably figured no one would notice or care.

Jasoco

Banned
I love Doom's music. But this isn't why by no means. I hate Metallica. I hate Pantera. I hate Alice in Chains. I tolerate Black Sabbath and AC/DC. Also I hate NIN.

But I love Doom music. I have a whole playlist full of originals and remixes. Listen to it all the time.

Hating bands isn't the same as hating their music. Now, if you also hate their music after knowing what you know now, you're probably not even a teenager yet, so nevermind anything that I've said.

BlueLegs

I thought most of this was common knowledge as Bobby Prince has said numerous times that John Romero gave him a bunch of metal bands to listen to and told him to make music that sounded like that.

OMG heavy metal songs in E, Eb, and D!! Shock and awe! Many of them don't even sound alike.

Also some of those songs came out after the game. :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
trippingmartian said:
OMG heavy metal songs in E, Eb, and D!! Shock and awe! Many of them don't even sound alike.

Also some of those songs came out after the game. :lol

did they really?

:lol

who is ripping of who?! :p

Wow. This is old as shit. Anyone who played the game and listened to Pantera would have made the connection immediately. I remember This Love, Rise, Mouth of War and Them Bones in the game because they ripped off the original music almost exactly.

I always thought a thread like this would pop up one of these days.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, this certainly isn't news to me. :p It was pretty obvious where these songs originated from.

Hahaha, crap, I had no idea about any of this, and I always loved Doom's music. Some of them are a bit of a stretch (like E2M2? E3M8? no way), but yeah, the direct lifts are plain to see. E1M1 does remind me of Master of Puppets, too, now. :lol

Animal

Banned
Some ok ill give them credit...but Call of Ktulu??? hes on crack. not even close. I've been playing call of ktulu for years and its nowhere close to that garbage on doom.

As someone who is "off the street" and not a huge fan of metal, I can firmly say that there are similarities, but it's a stretch to say they're 1:1 copies. I'd say they were inspired by, but not copied.

And really, some of them don't even sound close to the compared songs.

Sumasshu

jett said:
:lol Jeezus.

http://doom.ocremix.org/ <- These people = am cry.
I don't follow.

Did you miss the second paragraph down on that site?
The music in DooM was created by Robert Prince. It doesn't take a genius to realise that several of the tracks in the game were heavily influenced from rock music by other bands. Originally, Prince was asked to compose the DooM soundtrack entirely out of covers of rock songs. He disputed the idea knowing that some of the levels in DooM simply wouldn't have had the right atmosphere under those circumstances; so he and John Romero sat down and chewed out a mix of rock covers and some of Prince's own unique style of creepy music which we would now recognise as "DooM style." Since Prince used rock songs as source material, it's ironic in a way that some of the resulting tunes are actually remixes in the sense that they borrow melody lines and patterns from the source and turn it into its own unique music.

Jasoco

Banned
Bataman said:
Hating bands isn't the same as hating their music. Now, if you also hate their music after knowing what you know now, you're probably not even a teenager yet, so nevermind anything that I've said.
I'm 25 and I'm very picky about music. So sue me.

thorns said:
Well at least he could have ripped off worse songs.. Most of those songs are great songs at least.
It ripped off one of the great metal albums since Master of Puppets (VDoP). How can you go wrong? Other than being completely distracting to the player who also happens to be a huge Pantera fan. Doom is the kinda game that was better suited for extremely ambient music (Doom 64). Not exact riff-rips from famous metal songs.

evilromero said:
It ripped off one of the great metal albums since Master of Puppets (VDoP). How can you go wrong? Other than being completely distracting to the player who also happens to be a huge Pantera fan. Doom is the kinda game that was better suited for extremely ambient music (Doom 64). Not exact riff-rips from famous metal songs.

sorry for the bump here but I have to agree, psx doom soundtrack (all ambience) made that game freaky late at night.

ok i got

un20
Alice in Chains - Man in the Box
un28
Alice in Chains - Them Bones (even though a version of the song is still in the game)
un31
Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
un46
Alice in Chains - Angry Chair (a version in game also like them bones)
un51
Pantera - Walk

Gattsu25

Banned
Wario64 said:
Kotaku reported the songs from Doom 3, lol...Doom3 had a soundtrack?
It had a title song and 'ambient' music throughout

I loved this thread. So eye opening.

Checking MIDIs now

Gattsu25

Banned
there's some yamaha midi synthesizer that I used to have back in the Shadowwarrior days days...what was it called?

/fake edit: Yamaha XG MIDI

Ravager61

Every Doom song sounds like a Pantera rip off anyway.

edit: lol, the drums in the song for map7 are EXACTLY the same as in the opening to South of Heaven by Slayer.

Roat

Banned
Ouch, oh well I enjoyed the Midi goodness nevertheless. You could forgive them for one, but together it's a bit suss.

Top Bottom