• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eSports and the Fighting Game Community

alstein

3D fighting games has always been terrible for spectators who don't have a deep understanding of them. That's why we used to see those "Fuck Tekken where's SF4?" everytime on the stream. I seriously doubt that any of the Namco games have enough appeal to justify staying long in the MLG.

I don't see why 3D is more terrible then 2D for spectators. Lots of arcane stuff in both.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
3D fighting games has always been terrible for spectators who don't have a deep understanding of them. That's why we used to see those "Fuck Tekken where's SF4?" everytime on the stream. I seriously doubt that any of the Namco games have enough appeal to justify staying long in the MLG.
I dunno. SC V's critical edge stuff is easy to recognize and all that. It largely depends on if to moves into a crazy positioning game like Tekken etc tend to end up focusing on.

Dr. Dogg wrote a long article on the CGS site shortly before it went bankrupt and imploded saying how SC IV would never be TV worthy like DOA 4 because it didn't have flashy extended juggles. (I don't remember his reasoning why SF IV was TV crap but he lumped it in there with SC IV as eye poison IIRC) SC V looks like it was built with that article in mind.

I don't see why 3D is more terrible then 2D for spectators. Lots of arcane stuff in both.
Usually how the footsies manifest. In a 2d fighter you still tend to have crap flying around on the screen via fireballs etc.

In 3d fighters you tend to end up with the players stutter stepping all over the place until a launcher connects.

Kimosabae

Banned

Lol @ using a stream chat to make a substantial point. The names in that standard phrase are interchangeable with any fighting game placed on an internet stream, ever.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

People say that about any game that's not SF4 though

Even(or rather, especially) other 2D ones.

I am trying to watch the SoCal Regionals major, and one thing I hope the FGC doesn't lose is its commentary.

I like Ultra David in doses, but having him commentate a whole tourney for a day is BOOORRRIIINNNNNGGG. It's like having an event hosted by Leno, when I'm more of a fan of the Conan type antics of Chris Hu, Yipes, Aqua, Etc. they keep me rolling with laughter and actually are just as big a reason to watch on top of the fact that I like to see them play.

These "Professional" commentators are making stream watching dreadfully boring. If becoming more like other eSports means that, then I want out.

ESTAKA!

Spacebar

I am trying to watch the SoCal Regionals major, and one thing I hope the FGC doesn't lose is its commentary.

I like Ultra David in doses, but having him commentate a whole tourney for a day is BOOORRRIIINNNNNGGG. It's like having an event hosted by Leno, when I'm more of a fan of the Conan type antics of Chris Hu, Yipes, Aqua, Etc. they keep me rolling with laughter and actually are just as big a reason to watch on top of the fact that I like to see them play.

These "Professional" commentators are making stream watching dreadfully boring. If becoming more like other eSports means that, then I want out.

ESTAKA!

Listen to this snowman!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

ESTAKA!
I like both to be honest.. UltraDavid is great because his delivery of information isn't annoying, you can clearly tell the aspects of him that make him a better commentator than most because he gives a shit about pacing, he understands the importance of when to fill up dead air and how (like he mentioned in the video interview).

But I would fucking hate if we lost colour commentators. Fighting games thrive off of hype, a certain kind of hype that doesn't exist in the same form in other games.

I can't even picture the FGC without Rush Hour or Yipes. And I don't want this stuff subjugated to locals either so the majors become as unfun and quote on quote "professional" as they can be. UltraDavid tried to articulate this too, but it seems like outsiders looking in just don't understand it and continually try to frame the eSports/FGC debacle from their own business perspective, which just links to another massive thing wrong about the relationship between the FGC and eSports.

Top Bottom