• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're halfway through 2017. What's your favorite game so far this year?

Raven117

This year has been an embarrassment of riches.

Story, Yakuza 0 followed by Persona 5, follows by Nier

Gameplay, Nioh

Open world, hmmm. Have to go zero dawn.

Zen time. Zelda. While I know some people truly love Zelda, for my tastes it doesn't even rise to be best open world game of the year, let alone generation. The side quests are laughable, not much better than Ffxv. They were no better than mmo fetch quests. The weapon durability system was awful and broke the flow of combat so badly. Everything felt huge and the vistas... once the game got over the tedium of itself, it felt great just to run around.

Crayon

Nier_Automata_personagens.png

Weird Game for Weird People

lt519

BotW over HZD easily. I really enjoyed HZD story and combat but the open world didn't do anything for me, I never had any desire to explore it. Zelda was the opposite, combat and story weren't special but the exploration and puzzle solving were the best I've ever played.

P5 is in a separate category then the two. I don't think I can put it to over BotW but it'll probably end up above HZD.

Celegus

Only game from 2017 I've played is Persona 5, and it's just kind of meh. Hopefully something better comes along later in the year.

Hyoukokun

BotW is the first game in ages where I've felt compelled to 100% it (or, well, close to; I'm not doing all the Korok seeds). I think that carries it to winner status. I just finished the Sword Trials this weekend, and am eagerly awaiting the final DLC. (I'm near endgame in Master Mode as well, but haven't made the final push yet.).

I also enjoyed Persona 5 a lot. It's stylish, makes big mechanical and visual improvements over the previous entries, and tackles themes that you don't often see in games. I think the plot kind of loses its way after
Futaba's palace
; it's not a disaster, but it's not as tight as it could be, either.

Horizon is seriously beautiful, but hasn't really grabbed me outside of that in the first few hours. I need to return and take another pass at it.

I also wanted to give props to Splatoon 2 for being the first online multiplayer experience that's grabbed me since... L4D, I think? I'm not much of an online guy, but the Splatfests and Salmon Run are really engaging and fun.

There's some strong contenders yet in the back half of the year (Wolfenstein, Mario Odyssey, and - for me - Etrian Odyssey V). I think it'll be hard to top BotW overall, but we'll see!

Crayon

I have pushed more good games to the back catalog this year....

Didn't get to but want to play bad:

Splatoon 2
Arms
Nioh
Gravity Rush 2
Wipeout oc
I haven't really played Yakuza 0. I bought it for someone and watched them play it. Now I need to play it. Looks incredible.
This Hellblade game that seemed to come out of nowhere.
And I'm probably forgetting one more thing.

It's not just the number of good games.
It's the way they skew towards my tastes that makes it so exciting for me.

Horizon: ZD for me.

Automata has too many issues for it to be GOTY for me. Way too long schmup sequences that grew incredibly stale and were far too frequent. The combat was kind of shallow.
9S is boring as shit to play as with his fking one button attack.

edit: The schmup sequences actually really make me kind of hate Nier: Automata and I'm a fan of schmups.

I think it's gotta be Zelda, but honestly I feel so spoiled this year, so many good games already. Horizon, Nier, Splatoon 2, Prey, there's been a bunch already that could have been my GOTY in any given year

jonjonaug

A ranking of all the newly released games I can remember playing in 2017 so far

*10/10 masterpieces*

1. BOTW - Straight up the best open world game since Morrowind, possibly of all time. A+++++ exploration, gameplay, and puzzle/dungeon design (too bad there's only four dungeons...). The variety of towns and NPCs was also great.

2. Nier Automata - Yoko Taro (with some help from Platinum) finally knocked one clear out of the park, fulfilling his dream of surpassing the bounds of what was thought to be possible in video games.

*9/10*

3. Gravity Rush 2 - Amazing art design, a really fun story, fun gameplay, and a stellar soundtrack from Kohei Tanaka.

4. Yakuza 0 - Just a mixture of great stuff, whether it be the serious main story missions or the hilarious and varied side quests and activities. Majima for protagonist of the year.

5. Hollow Knight - Best Metroidvania game since Order of Ecclessia. A mix of brilliant exploration-encouraging level design and solid gameplay mechanics. Some of the bosses could've been better but that's a small complaint.

6. Persona 5 - What really shines here is the gameplay finally feeling fresh when compared with mainline SMT, the new demon models, and the UI design. Most of the story is quite good too. Some of the social links and parts of the main story fell flat but that's true of all Persona games.

*8/10*

7. Tales of Berseria - One of the best stories I've seen in a JRPG, with one of the most enjoyable casts of characters. Everything else about the game (music, level design, gameplay) though is just sorta average.

8. The End is Nigh - Remarkably solid 2D platforming that seems to draw more from IWBTG fangames than from Edmund's own Super Meat Boy. At any rate it's certainly better than Meat Boy.

9. Utawarerumono 2 - As a strategy game this isn't that deep, but the story, characters, and setting are all top notch. The ending's "GIVE ME THE SEQUEL NOW" levels are up there with Digital Devil Saga or Trails in the Sky.

10. Trails in the Sky the 3rd - Like 75% of the game is dungeon crawling and Trials still doesn't have particularly great gameplay, but what story is there is great and it sets up a bunch of cool stuff for future games.

11. Dies Irae - Pacing issues abound, but when Dies Irae is good it's really good. Kickass fight scenes and very entertaining villains with a surprising amount of depth for magical immortal Nazis.

12. Splatoon 2 - The best third person multiplayer shooter on the Wii U is still pretty great on the Switch. I haven't actually played this too much though, not enough time to devote to an online multiplayer game on top of all the single player games coming out.

*7/10*

13. Fate/Extella - Pretty good for a musou style game, and I enjoyed the story a fair amount.

14. Collar x Malice - I'm way too early in this one to give a definite opinion on it, but I like what I see so far.

*6/10*

15. Horizon Zero Dawn - Aabout 1/3rd through, so far it's probably the worst game I've played all year. The gameplay is finicky and the narrative design feels like a ripoff of Bioware games. I think I might've given this a higher score if I didn't play Breath of the Wild (better exploration, world design, reactivity, and gameplay) and Utawarerumono (better "post-apocalyptic culture" stuff) first.

Vuze

I have barely played any 2017 games for a substantial amount of time and finished even less so here goes nothing:

Breath Of The Wild (not finished yet)
Sniper Elite 4 (was pretty awesome and good fun in coop, finished campaign)
Styx Shards of Darkness (good but overall thought it overstayed its welcome)

StarPhlox

Top 3 at this point have to be

Nier: Automata
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Resident Evil 7

Unbelievably strong Q1. Legendary.

Kazuhira

Too many awesome games to decide tbh,i really can't choose only one.
My goty contenders are Prey(most likely the winner),Persona 5,Nier,RE7 or Horizon so far.
Maybe The Evil Within 2 but it needs to come out first haha.
I'm not a Zelda fan but i think it's pretty obvious that it will win the GOTY 2017 award.

WITHE1982

My heart says NieR Automata but in terms of pure enjoyment it has to go with a Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's a very close call but after recently starting a New Game + in horizon I realised just how much I really love the game. I thought I'd be a bit fatigued with it but managed 6 hours straight without skipping a beat. It was still as good as the first day I played it.

Superb graphics
Amazing characters
Great story
Extremely well crafter open world

Can't wait for the DLC.

Yazuka

For me so far, the two games I've enjoyed most playing this year has been Tales of Berseria and The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.
NieR Automata was great, but I actually like the first one more. So for me it's not a GOTY contender for me.

BOTW is still #1 but Sonic Mania and Splatoon 2 are a comfy 2 and 3.

Automata is weird since it's the kind of game I went in thinking I would love but while I ended up liking it, I wasn't blown-away-best-of-all-time material. I feel like the story dealt with a lot of themes that were interesting in themselves but few of them got the chance to really land with me or get fleshed out as well as they could. Maybe I should just play it again so it sinks in more? I dunno.

The one thing that really did click with me was the machine-racism stuff. The moment when I realized I didn't have to
kill the machines in the amusement park and they were just minding their own business
was pretty sobering.

Snoopycat

Banned
So far I have to give it to Ghost Recon Wildlands. Me and my friends have had more fun with that anything else this year. Put it on it's highest difficulty and it's a blast.

I played Horizon Zero Dawn a few weeks back. I liked that at first but it's too repetitive for me. Hide in a bush, press R1, move to another bush. You can jump around and ride a horse and collect shit too I guess but it wasn't that interesting to me. The graphics were good, I liked the characters especially them guys that looked like Centurions.

One game that came out recently that might end up being my GOTY is Shadow Tactics, Blades of the Shogun. I've played the PSN demo a bunch of times and I love it, so I'm really looking forward to playing the full game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Persona 5, but there's been some fucking amazing games outside of it that really make a strong case for the top spot. Top 3 would be Persona 5, BOTW, and Yakuza 0.

Ferr986

Sonic Mania is surely my GOTY. Runner up would be Horizon. Bronze price would go to Nier Automata.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm not sure if Nioh or Nier for third place. Nioh has better combat, Nier has better everything else, but as a Nier 1 fan the sequel kind of let me down in some areas, so I dunno....

wbEMX

Probably Persona 5, followed by Breath of the Wild and then Splatoon 2. Still need to buy Nier Automata. And I have a feeling that the best games for me are yet to come with Wolfenstein II and Mario Odyssey. I consider Wolfenstein: The New Order to be the game of the gen and I'm really up for a proper 3D Mario.

Stiler

For me it's been Horizon: ZD.

I love BOTW as well but something about Horizon, the world and things I found more appealing with the themes and style.

I do wish more games had BOTW's sense of traversal though, being able to climb/glide and go into so many different elevations and explore.

Ventara

Breath of the Wild by a HUGE margin. Possibly my favourite game ever. Only thing that I see stands a chance to top it is Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Truly an amazing year for the Switch.

Soar

1. NierA- Best experience
2. Nioh - Best gameplay
3. Persona 5 - Best style
4. Yakuza 0 - Best drama
5. Witcher 3 (LTTP) - Best quests

In that order.

Honorable mentions: Bloodborne and the uncharted series, both LTTP.
Great games that fell flat for me: HZD, ROtTR,
Games still to play: Yakuza Kiwami, Grav Rush 2

Ancirawr

Best games of the year so far for me are BotW and Persona 5 easily. Still planning to get back to Nier Automata, and I'm planning on getting Hellblade at some point too, which could be contenders.

Sadly I'm LTTP on some older games which would count if they came out this year, like Witcher 3, Undertale and Wolfenstein the New Order. All fantastic experiences that will be a part of my 2017 gaming memories, although none count for GotY.

Top Bottom